$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Regimen Building for Newbies 101

I found this little tip on a hair network and I thought it would be really helpful and useful for the newbies here! Have fun and happy hair growing!

Regimen Building for Newbies 101

The most important key to building a solid regimen is finding your own hair tolerance. Everyone's hair is unique. What works for someone may not work for you. Hair can be moisturized, supple one day and dry and brittle the next. It's important that you build your regimen around these factors and address these circumstances within your regimen.

Tip: The more you do to your hair chemically the more moisture and protein the hair will need.

YOU WILL NEED:

1 Moisturizing Shampoo. This should be used 1-2x/week depending on your schedule. Choose a shampoo that is Sodium/Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate free. These ingredients tend to strip the hair making it feel squeaky clean. These shampoo's listed below, leave the hair detangled and soft. Here are some examples:

Creme of Nature (red and green label) Shampoo, Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo, Elucence Moisture Benefits, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather Shampoo, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo

1 Clarifying Shampoo. A clarifying shampoo should be used 1-2x/month if you are heavy handed with your products/oils etc. By using this shampoo you will remove dirt, build up. It's a great way of starting your hair off fresh for the month. Your hair should feel squeaky clean. Here are some examples:

Pantene Pro-V Purity Shampoo, Suave Shampoos, Nexxus aloe rid shampoo, Avalon Organics Lemon and shea butter, Ion clarifying shampoo

1 Moisturizing Conditioner & 1 Protein Conditioner. You should follow up with one of these conditioners after every wash. Use either one depending on what your hair needs at the time. I would recommend deep conditioning the hair for 30-45mins preferably with heat (hooded dryer). Protein conditioners are used for rebuilding the hair and giving it strength. Protein conditioners should be followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner to restore moisture and elasticity to the hair. Here are some examples of moisturizing conditioners:

Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment, KeraCare Humecto, Mizani Moisturefuse, Elasta QP DPR-11, Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

Here are some examples of Protein Conditioners:

ORS Hair Mayo, Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, Nexxus Keraphix, Affirm 5 n 1, Aphogee 2 Step, Nexxus Emergencee, Motions CPR, Elasta QP Anti Breakage Serum

1 Leave-in conditioner. This should be used after washes or as a daily moisturizer. Here are some examples:

Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-in, Elasta QP H-Two Leave-in, Infusium 23, Cantu Shea Butter, Salerm 21, Lacio Lacio

Water based moisturizer (1 Moisturizing 1 Protein). Use daily to hydrate the hair. Avoid moisturizers that contain mineral oil, lanolin, petrolatum. I recommend using your moisturizer 1-2x/day (morning & night). Here are some examples:

Moisturizing: S-Curl, Hollywood Beauty Olive & Carrot Oil, ORS Olive Oil, ORS Carrot Oil, Wave Nouveau Finishing Lotion Protein: Cantu Shea butter, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Profective Healthy ends

Natural Oils are used for sealing in water based moisturizers. Add a light coating of oil to the ends of the hair and work your way up. Don't over do it now!!

Here are some examples: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Safflower Oil, Castor Oil

That's it!! Remember to take a step back and re-evaluate your hair and your methods. LISTEN to your hair. It will tell you when something is not working well for you (i.e. Dryness, breakage etc.) Give your hair time to get adjusted. It's all about trial and error until you realize what your hair likes, then you'll see improvement.
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Concotion Partner - Shiro

Newly Natural!

Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

To start off with throwing all that stuff at your hair, you could actually do more harm than good.

Yes wash it and conditioner it and use a moisturizer but don't go buy everything one person swears by because your hair might not like it.

Start simple and build.

Simple is best! Mild shampoo, moisturizing conditioner and a moisturizing product, butter, oil, etc. is all one needs. I like this map for building a regime! Very helpful! Thanks!
    3b/3c // M/C // ii

Regimen:
    Wash and condition weekly.
    Allow to air dry.
    Apply oils to hair and scalp.
    Gently brush through and wear a simple style.

Pointers:
    -I allow my hair to dry almost completely before styling, brushing or combing (aside from shower detangling).
    -I trim only when absolutely necessary.
    -I only wear like one or two oils. Products are too complicated sometimes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermelha View Post
    Simple is best! Mild shampoo, moisturizing conditioner and a moisturizing product, butter, oil, etc. is all one needs. I like this map for building a regime! Very helpful! Thanks!
    Your welcome chica, just a guide line for anyone to start out with, as alot of times newbies ask the question what are some simply products that I can start out with or ask where do they start, just a little idea and something to get them thinking!
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Newly Natural!

Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

Quote Originally Posted by leentora View Post
    Your welcome chica, just a guide line for anyone to start out with, as alot of times newbies ask the question what are some simply products that I can start out with or ask where do they start, just a little idea and something to get them thinking!
    I know the things we do here can be confusing. Co-washing and pre-pooing were Greek to me
    3b/3c // M/C // ii

Regimen:
    Wash and condition weekly.
    Allow to air dry.
    Apply oils to hair and scalp.
    Gently brush through and wear a simple style.

Pointers:
    -I allow my hair to dry almost completely before styling, brushing or combing (aside from shower detangling).
    -I trim only when absolutely necessary.
    -I only wear like one or two oils. Products are too complicated sometimes.

Blog Entries

I am constantly trying to evaluate my hair needs, so this is very helpful. I have and use some of these products, but don' t think I was using them to their best advantage, or understanding what their purpose was. I'm glad that some examples were provided, because I have been hoarding my Elasta QP because it's getting really hard to find out here. I guess it's time to reevaluate what's under the bathroom sink and figure out what to purge. (sigh) bye bye Motions shampoo. I really like you, but you're full of sulphates
    The most important thing for anyone to know is that people can love us just the way we are ~ Mr. Rogers

Last relaxer 01APRIL10

New Years Hair Resolution: Simplify for Simply Beautiful Hair

Cathy Howse 365 Day Hair Challenge

My name is TBC, and I am a Conditioner Crackhead

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermelha View Post
    I know the things we do here can be confusing. Co-washing and pre-pooing were Greek to me
    true true, I remember those good old days, I was like co-what?pre-who?, so I am always on the look out for tips and ideas that would be informative and helpful to get people thinking and even looking at the products they already have and how they can put them these products together and build a regimen KWIM?

Newly Natural!

LOL - I have become a product junkie and its because I found all this info on the web and everyone's testimonials and I keep trying everything. I did something last weekend though and I was in heaven. Could not keep my hands out of my hair. I am 4a(strong) and 3b/c in the kitchen area. I have not perfected my regimen but at least I know I need to have one! I can't believe that I could have natural 4a hair that could feel this wonderful. Ladies Oyin Handmade is da bomb - listen let me tell U!

Blog Entries

This is a good list to have on hand. I have a few of these products as well, has anyone tried the Emergencee? If so, how well does it work?
    HAIR TYPE: 4 A/B (RELAXED)
    CURRENT LENGTH: ?
    HAIR GOAL: APL BY ???

Starting over

thank you for this list

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast