Default Bible Study - Tithes and Offerings

Seeing as how this is a new topic, I thought it deserved a new thread

Quote Originally Posted by virtuouswoman View Post
    Tithes and Offerings

Discussion:

Is it Necessary?

How often should you tithe?

Whats the Difference?

The 10%, does it refer to money or other things such as time, etc.

Feel Free to add any other scriptures and/or questions.

Scriptures:

Malachi 3:8-12

Numbers 18:26
    1 Corinthians 16:1-2
    2 Corinthians 9:7
    Malachi 2:2
    Lev. 27:30-31

Ok this is a very interesting topic....I was not reared to pay tithes but once I got saved and started studying the word I got the understanding I needed...I do believe wholehearted in paying tithes and also giving an offer over our tithes...I too believe that titthes also means giving your time and your talent...So I am so ready to see all the info TOH have in store for us....Also thanks Vwoman for posting some scriptures pertaining to tithes and offerings. Also I think that God gives us the heart and minds to do this for his kingdom and for the church..
    Last Relaxer: August 12, 2011
    Growth Buddy: CreoleHonee91

SL-APL Challenge, Protective Style Challenge 2011
    Castor Oil Challenge 2011Financial Stability Challenge/ 52 Week Financial Challenge

Blog Entries

Is it Necessary?
    Yes, it is. Why? Because first off all, God said so. Thats why we should do it.

God knows your heart and I think it depends on when you get your income, some people get paid every week, every two weeks, however....when you do get your income, give God what you owe. (from what you get before taxes)

Whats the Difference?
    very plain but, a tithe is what you owe and an offerince is what you give...

I say money but I've heard that people say that you can give 10 percent of your time and other stuff like that, but to me, I say its money because thats what puts food on my table etc etc.

Malachi 3:8-12
    Okay...Verse 8 starts off with the million dollars question. Will a man rob God? It sounds harsh but its a question some people just don't care to answer. But its okay, because the verse answers itself, it says that we've robbed Thee in our tithes and offerings. As I've stated in the other thread, a lot of us are riding in stolen cars, living in stolen houses, and wearing stolen clothes and etc. because we don't tithe, and when we tithe, we are robbing God. Some people may say they'll tithe at another time, because something came up and they just wont be able to pay their tithes this paycheck (like you have that choice) First, you need to learn to trust God that he will supply your needs..he said he would do it, so trust him and tithe. Give him what is all ready his. When your phone bill is due, or your car note is due, you don't mind paying it...but when God is to be paid you can't even pay him what you ought to be giving him?

Numbers 18:26
    How much should you give??? 10 percent? Thats all he's asking, you can always give more as your offering, but I know one thing that we need to stop doing is stop giving God a dollar!!!! Yes, God knows our heart but if you have the money, why put a dollar in the plate when it comes around?? your clothes doesn't cost a dollar...your "hair do" doesn't cost a dollar, your shoes or your suits didn't cost a dollar. So why you wanna sit there and give God a dollar?

2 Corinthians 9:7

God loves a cheerful giver, a cheerful giver not a mad giver, not a stubborn giver, not a angry giver, but a cheerful giver.. You look forward to giving, God has blessed you with a good job, and you don't have to be mean and not want to give what he says give....give happily, give joyfully, give hilariously...

Malachi 2:2.
    My favorite...God says that he will curse your blessings...thats some powerful stuff... you ever wonder how you get you a nice car or house and then all of a sudden you can't pay for it? Yep, thats a curse on your blessings, God allowed you to get the car and the house and whatever else and you don't want to tithe, all right he will show you!!! He will curse your blessings....

Lev. 27:30-31

Ya'll gonna have to help me with this one, I've been told that this means that if you don't tithe the next time that you do tithe, you will have to add five percent or something like that, I'm not sure, but maybe someone can help me with this one...

Anyways, lets learn to tithe, When God tells us to do things, its for a reason!!! He takes care of us he wouldn't leave us hanging if we're obeying him....lets learn to tithe, I know when I first gave my life over to Christ I was told that when I pay my tithe I should only do it at my home church....Is that really true? I mean, its my tithes and its what I'm giving to God, so it shouldn't matter where its given, right? When I first moved away from home I used to try and hold my tithes until I went back home, and it would be months and months before I went home and I would get tempted to spend my tithe money and I actually did, just because I thought that I was supposed to pay it at my home church.....nah not so much.....I believe that since they're my tithes, I should pay there wherever I go, God's ahead of the church....

God Bless!!!

You may not like me but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/Virtuous...P?feature=mhum

Blog Entries

What a great thread, I do tithe...I admit it's hard sometimes to part with 10% of my salary but I do, trusting that God will provide for my needs.
    Marsy

100% Natural...BC on 8 June 2010
    Growth Buddy: PrincessRN

Psalm 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

WE ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE, WE ARE SPIRITUAL BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY HUMAN EXPERIENCE.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marsy View Post
    What a great thread, I do tithe...I admit it's hard sometimes to part with 10% of my salary but I do, trusting that God will provide for my needs.
    Amen

1 Corinthians 15:58 says: Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, for ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

keep on tithing, sis...and keep on trusting....

You may not like me but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/Virtuous...P?feature=mhum

Blog Entries

Oh my gosh I was discussing this with hubby and I said I wanted to post something up about tithe and offering as I wanted to see what the Christian ladies views was on it on here, wow God is good this is the second time soemthign like this has happen I am happy, now I will be watching this thread. Well done TOH & Virtuouswoman.!
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Concotion Partner - Shiro

Newly Natural!

Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

Blog Entries

I'll do my study starting tuesday

Blog Entries

Oh yeah... before I do my study, here is my position on tithing.

I used to believe like virtuous did, but recently, I have changed my belief. The belief that I had was taught to me by my church. They used those same versss in regards to tithing, and only those verses.

Since last year i've been having financial problems (work related), and since then I haven't been able to tithe. But i've been tithing for over 7 years. It's because of this why I started thinking about those verses.

And i've come to some conclusions.

I've been wanting to do the study to see if what I have concluded is correct, or if what i was taught by my church correct.

So I anticipate that this study is going to be quite long because i need to examine every instance of tithe/tithes/tithing in the bible, and the surrounding context.

Is it Necessary?

No, I don't believe it's necessary. I believe that it's necessary in regards to those who are jewish, but to gentiles, it is not.

I used to believe it was necessary because that is what I was taught by my church.

Also, I don't remember where God told gentiles to tithe - another reason for the study.

A tithe is 10% of your increase.

Whats the Difference?

Tithe is mandatory where as offering is not. I use to believe tithe was mandatory across the board, but now I believe it's only mandatory for the jews.

Nowadays it's seems to be money focused, but there was money during the time the law for tithing was introduced, and God told the people to do something different with the money (another reason for the study).

anyway - yeah - this study is important to me, and the outcome will change my belief system - i'm not going go into this study with a bias - but I will let the bible speak for itself (As always).

I may just start the study today, because i'm very eager to get started. We'll see.

Malachi 3:10
    Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Wow!! Another topic that speaks directly to me!! Dh and I were just discussing this...We have come to realize that whenever we slack on our tithing, it is a curse....appliances break, billls come forth from nowhere... I am a believer that when you rob God in tithes and offererings, you stand to lose so much more...
    Paying tithes is to be obedient to God's word. And of course,whenever you are disbodient to God's word, there are always consequences..

I heard a minister preaching on this recently, he said this is the only thing that God tells us to test him on.....
    And another way to look at it...paying tithes does not necessarily ensure what will come in, but will ensure what does not Go out...

From my experienes, paying tithes and offerings is God's way of determining what's in your heart...your put your money where your heart is...
    Healthy Relaxed Journey 2014
    Hairfinity Challenge 2014

2014 BRICK HOUSE CHALLENGE

Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by denalove View Post
    Malachi 3:10
    Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Wow!! Another topic that speaks directly to me!! Dh and I were just discussing this...We have come to realize that whenever we slack on our tithing, it is a curse....appliances break, billls come forth from nowhere... I am a believer that when you rob God in tithes and offererings, you stand to lose so much more...
    Paying tithes is to be obedient to God's word. And of course,whenever you are disbodient to God's word, there are always consequences..

I heard a minister preaching on this recently, he said this is the only thing that God tells us to test him on.....
    And another way to look at it...paying tithes does not necessarily ensure what will come in, but will ensure what does not Go out...

From my experienes, paying tithes and offerings is God's way of determining what's in your heart...your put your money where your heart is...

Dena that is so true...God will never let you down when you tithe. He may not bless you in the way you expect to be blessed, but he does in some way. Wehn I tithe, I always ask myself how I will manage the month without that money...and just when I think I cannot manage another day, money just appears..not magically of course...but it's amazing who God can use to bless you. People you forgot you loaned money to in the past, and forgot about it - and they suddenly repay you! That's just an example of what happened to me.

I'd like to be financially well off, but if it's not meant to be, then so be it. But I would still be obedient to God.

I know a lot of people who tithe but not 10%...do you agree/disagree that it should be 10%?
    Marsy

100% Natural...BC on 8 June 2010
    Growth Buddy: PrincessRN

Psalm 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

WE ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE, WE ARE SPIRITUAL BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY HUMAN EXPERIENCE.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast