$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is it healthy !?

I have an idea for all naturals out there!
    I wanted to start this thing where you send a picture of your hair to the forum and get an opinion of all fellow BhPers and rate if its healthy or not you can list the problems you're having, the products you're using to get rid of it and how you style it daily.....what do you think ??
    My Lovelyy Hair !
    current length:full shoulder length
    short term: APL length by October '11
    next term:BSL length by December '12
    last relaxer:10/16/10

Challenges;Castor Oil Challenge 2011,, The Ultimate APL Challenge 2011,, Protective Styling 2011

Overall Health 1st ,, Thickness 2nd ,, Length 3rd ! I want It ALL !

Note that natural hair is very hard to assess by photo alone because with natural hair, damage is hardly seen unless straightened/relaxed.
    3b/3c // M/C // ii

Regimen:
    Wash and condition weekly.
    Allow to air dry.
    Apply oils to hair and scalp.
    Gently brush through and wear a simple style.

Pointers:
    -I allow my hair to dry almost completely before styling, brushing or combing (aside from shower detangling).
    -I trim only when absolutely necessary.
    -I only wear like one or two oils. Products are too complicated sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermelha View Post
    Note that natural hair is very hard to assess by photo alone because with natural hair, damage is hardly seen unless straightened/relaxed.
    hmmmmm you do got a point so you're saying you won't be able to see it as well ?
    or let me say should we like press our hair out one good time just to see damage
    My Lovelyy Hair !
    current length:full shoulder length
    short term: APL length by October '11
    next term:BSL length by December '12
    last relaxer:10/16/10

Challenges;Castor Oil Challenge 2011,, The Ultimate APL Challenge 2011,, Protective Styling 2011

Overall Health 1st ,, Thickness 2nd ,, Length 3rd ! I want It ALL !

I'm going to be the judge of my hair health. No way am I putting heat to it to disrupt my curl pattern for others to judge. Why would you want to do something like that?...Trust yourself.
    Speak up..I want to hear what you have to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybutter View Post
    I'm going to be the judge of my hair health. No way am I putting heat to it to disrupt my curl pattern for others to judge. Why would you want to do something like that?...Trust yourself.
    Heat isn't all that bad. It's actually good to straighten the hair out every once in a while to get a decent trim and remove split ends and knots that you can't see while natural.

Just be sensible about it, because you can't blame the heat, but only the person who decides to use it in an abusive way. Besides, it's just hair and if one does make a mistake, it will always grow back.
    3b/3c // M/C // ii

Regimen:
    Wash and condition weekly.
    Allow to air dry.
    Apply oils to hair and scalp.
    Gently brush through and wear a simple style.

Pointers:
    -I allow my hair to dry almost completely before styling, brushing or combing (aside from shower detangling).
    -I trim only when absolutely necessary.
    -I only wear like one or two oils. Products are too complicated sometimes.

Thumbs down

I honestly dont think adding heat to natural hair is that good for the hair!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vermelha View Post
    Heat isn't all that bad. It's actually good to straighten the hair out every once in a while to get a decent trim and remove split ends and knots that you can't see while natural.

Just be sensible about it, because you can't blame the heat, but only the person who decides to use it in an abusive way. Besides, it's just hair and if one does make a mistake, it will always grow back.
    Vermelha, you might be right. I did a cool/warm blowout a few weeks ago. No splits, etc. but the blowout which I considered awful due to comparing my hair to others who do fantastic blowouts did remove some roughness to my ends; made combing from ends to roots a lot easier.
    Speak up..I want to hear what you have to say!

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumWigs View Post
    I honestly dont think adding heat to natural hair is that good for the hair!!
    If you're smart, you'll use heat as an advantage, rather than a setback. I combine heat styling tools with heat-activated treatments to enhance my hair rather than damage it.

Also (and I found this to be quite interesting) some naturals who straighten their hair and maintain that style for 2-3 weeks can gain better length retention due to less tangles from washing, styling and manipulation. This is how you use heat to one's advantage.

But yeah, excess heat (over 360 degrees) and constantly retouching the hair can damage the hair shaft, but most naturals tend to go over that amount of heat because they can't get straight hair any other way. I feel like if your hair can't be straightened below a reasonable amount of heat, you don't need to be using it at all or another method of straightening or styling needs to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharii16 View Post
    I have an idea for all naturals out there!
    I wanted to start this thing where you send a picture of your hair to the forum and get an opinion of all fellow BhPers and rate if its healthy or not you can list the problems you're having, the products you're using to get rid of it and how you style it daily.....what do you think ??
    I think it's a cool idea ! And we won't have to press our hair if we don't want to. It's just for the sake of fun

Am I right ?
    ~Acts 2:40-41 - he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation."~

Swears off of the Flatiron & heat !

http://public.fotki.com/Caribbean-Gyal/

[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Hair Type: 4a Natural
    Hair length: SL / APL stretched
    Hair Goal: APL unstretched for 2010

Why can't we participate? We want to know if our hair is healthy too.
    Yo amo El Senor! No hay otra que compara! ├ČViva La Rep├║blica Dominicana! Quisqueya

Fight them until hell freezes over, then fight them on the ice.
    The beatings will continue until your morale changes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast