$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermelha View Post
    Nope. I've actually flat ironed every other week and my texture is just fine . It's actually grown an inch since my last measurement nearly two months ago...and I trimmed recently.

But it's all in how you're flat ironing and what products you're using. Also, the temperature is important. I don't go beyond setting 4-5 on my Maxiglide (roughly 280-310 degrees), and it gets pin-straight. I also use a Restructurizer while straightening, so my hair is in good condition and the natural texture is preserved.

It's just when you use 400 degree irons (and use them frequently) that you start to see texture damage...I mean, don't be scared to flat iron, but don't be so quick to do it either...
    When you flat iron do you only use the restructuriser or do you also use moisturiser or leave-in or something?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saunta2 View Post
    When you flat iron do you only use the restructuriser or do you also use moisturiser or leave-in or something?
    I'm pretty sure V only uses the restructurizer...to prevent from reversion and possible frizz. I didn't use moisturizers or leave-ins.

Bumping for Vermelha's response...
    Amina
    4BAPLTL-N
    BlackHairCareBlog

"Remember to capitalize on the assets in life, while eliminating the liabilities" - me

Amina is right (See, ppl do like me!!!)

Ahem* yeah but I don't use anything else but the restructurizer. With that in mind, I'll just post my straightening routine:

1. I wash my hair with castile soap, shampoo, or anything with a high pH to remove any excess product. (Note that I do NOT condition).
    2. I blot dry my hair with a microfiber towel and section hair into four.
    3. I spray the Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer lightly in all sections, concentrating on the ends. (This is why I don't condition, since it must bond to the hair shaft).
    4. I blowdry each section on medium with a comb/pik attachment from ends to roots, using tension.
    5. I make smaller sections and follow up with my Maxiglide XP (w/ distilled water in chamber), steaming my ends, then running it down the hair shaft lightly (or, if using a regular ceramic flat iron, just make small sections, detangle, and pass through section).
    6. My hair is now straight and strengthened .

I've never had breakage going this route. But the key to getting straighter hair is to avoid using water-based and oil-based products when straightening. I think LeoBodyC5 also uses no product, just her Maxiglide, and her hair is GORGEOUS....

All this talk makes me want to straighten this weekend I just may! Anywho, HTH!
    3b/3c // M/C // ii

Regimen:
    Wash and condition weekly.
    Allow to air dry.
    Apply oils to hair and scalp.
    Gently brush through and wear a simple style.

Pointers:
    -I allow my hair to dry almost completely before styling, brushing or combing (aside from shower detangling).
    -I trim only when absolutely necessary.
    -I only wear like one or two oils. Products are too complicated sometimes.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermelha View Post
    Amina is right (See, ppl do like me!!!)

Ahem* yeah but I don't use anything else but the restructurizer. With that in mind, I'll just post my straightening routine:

1. I wash my hair with castile soap, shampoo, or anything with a high pH to remove any excess product. (Note that I do NOT condition).
    2. I blot dry my hair with a microfiber towel and section hair into four.
    3. I spray the Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer lightly in all sections, concentrating on the ends. (This is why I don't condition, since it must bond to the hair shaft).
    4. I blowdry each section on medium with a comb/pik attachment from ends to roots, using tension.
    5. I make smaller sections and follow up with my Maxiglide XP (w/ distilled water in chamber), steaming my ends, then running it down the hair shaft lightly (or, if using a regular ceramic flat iron, just make small sections, detangle, and pass through section).
    6. My hair is now straight and strengthened .

I've never had breakage going this route. But the key to getting straighter hair is to avoid using water-based and oil-based products when straightening. I think LeoBodyC5 also uses no product, just her Maxiglide, and her hair is GORGEOUS....

All this talk makes me want to straighten this weekend I just may! Anywho, HTH!
    Ooooooh, I could just kick myself. I didn't even get to see this before I flat ironed on Sunday. Anyway I'll try again this weekend with your tips. Thanks.

By the way, no serum for heat protection either, right?
    Last edited by Saunta2; 10-20-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Ooooooh, I could just kick myself. I didn't even get to see this before I flat ironed on Sunday. Anyway I'll try again this weekend with your tips. Thanks.

By the way, no serum for heat protection either, right?
    Most serums, IMO, doesn't serve a purpose but to "conceal" split ends and make the hair look shiny. For me, it just adds more cones and gunk to my hair and my hair becomes nasty after just a couple days. It's good for sealing ends and "finishing" the style, however they don't really help the hair, just cover the damage up.

They do help with straightening, since they smooth the hair and make it easier to pass through the flat iron, but as far as protection, it all depends on the particular serum. The more expensive ones with ceramides and proteins actually do repair the hair shaft while heat styling, but others just coat the shaft with cones. HTH
    3b/3c // M/C // ii

Regimen:
    Wash and condition weekly.
    Allow to air dry.
    Apply oils to hair and scalp.
    Gently brush through and wear a simple style.

Pointers:
    -I allow my hair to dry almost completely before styling, brushing or combing (aside from shower detangling).
    -I trim only when absolutely necessary.
    -I only wear like one or two oils. Products are too complicated sometimes.

I hear alot about heat damage. I flat iron my hair twice a month with a ceramic flat iron anywhere from 375 to 400 degrees. I have not experience any heat damage. I have been in transition for a year and a half and I am a few inches away from BSL. So maybe some people just get lucky when it comes to heat...(Hope I dont jinx myself..lol)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

It became too time consuming after MBL to straighten my hair once monthly.
    For my sanity I have it done professionally in December and this also counts as my official length check as well.
    Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind

Growth Buddy Iwanthealthyhair67

Hair ID: 4B/WSL/HL/N

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234