$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Non-traditional texturizing

Hi all!

I've been away for a while, been natural over a year now after 2nd big chop. I'm happy that my hair is getting longer and is healthy, but being 100% natural isn't for me. It's a strange position because I am not willing to have anymore setbacks, so chemicals are out of the question right now, but I also don't want to be fully natural. So I've tried other less harsh methods to try and achieve looser curls because I like that look and my hair becomes easier to detangle.

I tried heat training every two weeks, but since I don't like to use heat on a regular basis it would take me about a year to get results. I love henna and use it regularly, but I only notice curl loosening if I use it weekly, which is too frequent for me and drying on my hair.

My next plan was just to do braids for the next 2 years till I'm happy with my length, then I started seeing all these "natural" texture softeners and learning about BKT- Brazilian Keratin treatment. Now I feel I still have another choice before braids. Compiled some info on products I'll be trying out and how they work if anyone is also interested in less traditional methods of loosening curl pattern.

All these methods require heat during the process, and claim to work for at least 6 weeks. So be mindful of heat settings since heat will be used on a regular basis to maintain results.

1) Amino-acid infused thermal reconditioning systems.

These in my opininon are the safest as results are temporary. They keep your hair straighter longer after styling with them, and curls should be slightly loosened after washing hair, but revert much quicker if you use a sulfate shampoo as that washes the coating from the product out.
    Pricier option: Design Essentials® Strengthening Therapy System. Design Essentials® Strengthening Therapy System is neither a relaxer system nor a keratin system. Unlike relaxer systems, Strengthening Therapy does not use any harsh or permanent chemicals, does not break the disulfide bonds like a relaxer and has no risk in over-processing the hair. Unlike Keratin systems, Strengthening Therapy is truly Formaldehyde Free. It is an Amino-Acid based system that tames, smoothes and elongates curls for a lasting, yet non-permanent effect (up to 12 weeks). It is perfect for women who are transitioning, does not require multiple salon visits to complete service and is effective on all hair types.

*QOD
    *Liquid keratin

Cheaper options (probably less effective)
    *Beautiful Textures manageability system

*ORS straightening and strengthening system

2) Sodium sulfite straightening systems.

I am a bit scared of these ones as the ingredient is permanent, it is what is used in perms- Caucasian perms, lol. It has a neutral pH, so it is like a very very mild relaxer. So mild that your hair appears to revert after 1-4 months- I don't know the whole science behind it, someone can chime in, but the way it works in your hair, some of the bonds do reform after a while and the curliness returns. But if you use it frequently with high heat you can probably lose your curls over time.
    *Silk Elements Kera minerals smoothing system-from sally Beauty Supply

* Brazilian tech keratin- also available at Sallys
    * Shea Moisture Smooth and Repair Hair straightening system

3) Formaldehyde derivatives

I'm sure everyone has heard about the scare of BKT and formaldehyde. The formaldehyde used in BKT is what gets the hair to remain straight for months (after using all that heat). The keratin is a nice protein naturally found in your hair, by including that in the BKT you are providing the hair with strength and conditioning during the process, and it binds to cuticle helping to retain the smooth glossy look. The previously mentioned methods are completely formaldehyde free, which is good, seeing as it is a carcinogen- although lots of things contain carcinogens (nail polish, some makeup and perfumes). Anyway, some products say "no formaldehyde added" which is true. Instead they use products that release formaldehyde when heated, which is how you get the long lasting straightening. since I'm a cheapie, only one I've seen so far is offered at Sally's. It has vanillin, which turns to formaldehyde when heated. However, I've heard it is really weak and results are not even close to a real BKT, but you won't be passing out when doing the treatment, which is great . Added another one- Organix- has some terrible reviews about the smell and some people said it damaged their hair- I dunno
    *Ion Keratin smoothing treatment

4) BKT with formaldehyde.

As mentioned above, formaldehyde will get your hair straight and curls loosened for at least 12 weeks, but it burns your eyes, nose and throat, and best to do at a salon. If you do it at home make sure you are in a well ventilated area. Do at your own risk. There are all types of these on Ebay. The ones I could probably afford are sample sizes of big liter versions, 4oz for $40 or so.
    *Keratin Research

*IQ natural

The legal limit is 2% for formaldehye in products I believe, and the Keratin Research has 3%. so...it must work But there are others out there with much much higher percentages, which is normal for BKT formulations, but now there are health concerns about it, so it's becoming more regulated.
    I know there are Brazilian blowouts, don't know much about them. Also heard of lime and coconut conditioner but I don't put food in my hair anymore after some grizzly incidents with banana and egg, lol

I hope this helps anyone who just wants to be happy with their hair and find the right situation for them. For me it's not relaxed or natural, so any method that does not result in breakage and loosens my curl up would be awesome.

Please add any useful info, if you have used these products, if you know of any others, good and bad results. Much appreciated!!
    Last edited by eyekandy22; 06-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.

4B, Relaxed 8/10/2014
    Transitioning to texturized

Blog Entries

Ok- so I did a strand test of Silk Elements Kera Minerals- because I was nervous about the sulfite chemical. It smelled like perm, and after I rinsed it out blowdried and flatironed, that patch of hair did not look any different than it usually does when I use heat- basically still frizzy- my hair never gets glossy or swangy or anything. I washed my hair today and that patch of hair shrunk back to as curly as it ever was- which is fine. I'm guessing all these procedures cause gradual change, and they're all temporary anyway. So I don't think the sodium sulfite ones are for me- not right now.

So I picked up Beautiful Textures Manageability stuff- easy to find and only $8. I have never seen the ORS one before, and I can't afford the Design essentials, QOD and all that. While at the grocery store I saw another cysteine based system, by Jamaican Mango and Lime for $16. It comes in extra strength and mild- so I'll give that a try if BT doesn't work out.

Really cool, when I was purchasing the kit, the girl ringing me up was raving about it and she said it was the best one she'd tried. She mentioned using "Smooth n Shine's" product in the past, which is thio based- and that smelling terrible. That reminded me- I didn't include thio based kits for a reason- DO NOT USE THEM IF TRANSITIONING FROM RELAXED HAIR! It will pretty much melt off your hair- a chemical haircut. If you're natural it is a "real" chemical like a relaxer- can be drying, lead to breakage etc.
    She also mentioned using NuNaat, and her hair breaking all over the place, burning her ears, and her towel turning orange- I think that may be a BKT treatment, not sure.
    So be careful. I'll review the beautiful Textures soon.

4B, Relaxed 8/10/2014

Blog Entries

Busy day today. I tried the Beautiful Textures tonight. I had a horrible experience. I feel like I have the most bizarre hair ever- nothing is good for it- relaxer, natural, heat.

First the shampoo stung my eyes, even though it didn't go in them- it just stung. The lotion thing, whatever. The problem is I don't know how to blowdry my hair straight- I use a wide tooth comb, my hair tangles and looks worse than if I let it dry in twists. Then I flatironed half my head, my hair looks exactly like it does when I use heat- rubbish. If these products at least made my hair swing or something- that'd be cute. I didn't bother with the other half of my head. I'm shampooing and deep conditioning in the morning. Getting braids done soon, after that I'll try the fake keratin stuff.

4B, Relaxed 8/10/2014

Blog Entries

After I washed out the Beautiful Textures the next day, the parts of my hair I flatironed were much easier to detangle. No looser curls just less compact. That was nice, so I'll use it again. I realize these products don't help your straight hair look good if your straightening technique is bad Since I don't want to be a heat-straightened natural I am looking for how these products work when they're rinsed out.

I will do a strand test for the real BKT, formaldehyde and all I'm looking for permanent/long-lasting dramatic results after one treatment because I dislike regular heat use. Hopefully it is something I will only have to do twice a year if it works, and I can stop using it once I get to the length I want.

4B, Relaxed 8/10/2014

Blog Entries

My BKT is coming today will do a strand test first obviously, see how that goes. Decided to stick to these alternative texturizers again, lol. Getting braids soon, I will see if real texturizing still something I'm interested in, but I really need to leave my hair chemical free.

4B, Relaxed 8/10/2014

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by eyekandy22 View Post
    After I washed out the Beautiful Textures the next day, the parts of my hair I flatironed were much easier to detangle. No looser curls just less compact. That was nice, so I'll use it again. I realize these products don't help your straight hair look good if your straightening technique is bad Since I don't want to be a heat-straightened natural I am looking for how these products work when they're rinsed out.

I will do a strand test for the real BKT, formaldehyde and all I'm looking for permanent/long-lasting dramatic results after one treatment because I dislike regular heat use. Hopefully it is something I will only have to do twice a year if it works, and I can stop using it once I get to the length I want.

Thats real interesting.....

Even making your hair easier to detangle is progress on natural hair, I certainly need that, esp at the back!

do keep us posted on your progress.
    http://truly-savvy.blogspot.com

more water, more protective styling,less heat

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ch1 View Post
    Thats real interesting.....

Even making your hair easier to detangle is progress on natural hair, I certainly need that, esp at the back!

do keep us posted on your progress.
    Yes, it was a decent product, nice temporary results. I want more permanent changes though. The BKT I got from Ebay was rubbish- it was a $27 sample, so shouldn't have expected much. The hair didn't stay straight for long, and has shrunk back up without being washed. So....at this point don't know if any of these products are for me.

Truth is I never enjoyed my hair relaxed or natural. I loved it texturized. If I hadn't had breakage I would've stuck with it. So I will braid up my hair for now, but if I want to texturize afterwards, I'll do that. I don't think I'll try to be natural again until my hair is long already. Not interested in the short hair natural phase.

4B, Relaxed 8/10/2014

Blog Entries

I would def. be looking to try the Beautiful textures next time I want to press my hair. I've made myself a wig now and since my hair was blowdried last wash i can just about get away with just plaiting it in two corn rows underneath the wig - too lazy to do lots of small rows.

Planing to use Henna this weekend, then DC & air dry so I think the following weekend gonna Finally try my Organix BKT!
    http://truly-savvy.blogspot.com

more water, more protective styling,less heat

Blog Entries

I love henna, it really thickens up my hair and makes it feel stronger. good luck with the organix BKT, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about it. I suppose it works with a formaldehyde derivative.

4B, Relaxed 8/10/2014

Blog Entries

Anxiously awaiting my texturizer! Sucks that I have to order it online, but don't trust the BSS ones after breakage last time. I'm ready to have my real hair out as well, lol, let's see if I can follow thru with that.

4B, Relaxed 8/10/2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast