$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun

Default Keratin Treatment?

has anyone tried a keratin treatment to help with their transition? what are the pros and cons? does this defeat the purpose of going natural (even if its formaldahyde free)

I am curious about this myself. I have been natural for about 10 months. I have really thick coarse (4b) hair and it is hard to manage. I was looking for a way to help with the shrinkage.

everyone I know that`s tried them said they thinned their hair out. good luck

I actually almost bought one of these today (had it in my hand at Sally's), however after discussing with my sister, I decided against it...doesn't it make your hair really hard, and if you leave on for one minute too long, your hair will break like ice? Or is that just a myth?
    Anywhoo, I don't wanna experiment with my locks to find out. I'll stick with my transitioning sew in. Let us know if you try it.
    Anyone else try? BUMP!!
    Healthy Relaxed Journey 2014
    Hairfinity Challenge 2014

2014 BRICK HOUSE CHALLENGE

Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised!

Default Keratin

Yeah, I'd steer clear from those keratin treatment kits... From what I hear, even from hair stylists, they can be tricky if not done just right. It can do more harm than good. Try a conditioner like Queen Helene Super Cholesterol. It's enriched with natural Aloe Vera Gel and Keratin protein w/o the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by denalove View Post
    I actually almost bought one of these today (had it in my hand at Sally's), however after discussing with my sister, I decided against it...doesn't it make your hair really hard, and if you leave on for one minute too long, your hair will break like ice? Or is that just a myth?
    Anywhoo, I don't wanna experiment with my locks to find out. I'll stick with my transitioning sew in. Let us know if you try it.
    Anyone else try? BUMP!!

Quote Originally Posted by NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe` View Post
    has anyone tried a keratin treatment to help with their transition? what are the pros and cons? does this defeat the purpose of going natural (even if its formaldahyde free)
    I had mine professionally done 2x. The 2nd time I did it w/color. The 1st time (this past August) I had it done by a professional stylist in NY & asked TONS of questions about the process, chemicals, etc & this initial one did contain formaldahyde (sp?) & lasted me until approx October. I then got my 2nd 1 put in in mid-October & had it colored at the same time. This time it was form-free & I LOVED it!! It's on it's way out now due to washing (you have to apply at least every 90 days depending on your hair type) but I may get it again. I honestly had no complaints. Once I figure out how to post a pic, I will.
    I will say DO NOT buy it from Sally's if possible (not sure what's in it) as the all "lie" regarding the chemical content but let a pro do it initially for at least your 1st application & ask tons of questions. Let me know if you have further questions on it. Good luck...you will LOVE it!!

I`m having trouble understanding the purpose of this. I understand people do it transitioning but why trade 1 chemical process for another? Isn`t the purpose for being natural to avoid harmful chemicals? I`m just sayin'...
    " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

I'm using keratin treatments as a means of transitioning away from relaxers. So far (over a year) I'm loving the keratin treatments. The keratin loosens up my type 4 hair so that it's a whole lot easier to manage, the line of demarcation is not as prominent so less breakage. As far as trading one chemical for another, a relaxer is a LOT more harsh than a keratin treatment. Relaxers are permanent where as a keratin treatment will wash out eventually.
    Check out my beauty blog, Beauty Blvd.