$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hard water issues

I was searching for ways to treat hard water minerals and such in the hair on line today. I chelated my hair for the first time and my hair felt different, which is why I was researching this in the first place. I came across a link on google that led me to LHCF. I found a post there that helped me better understand things so I wanted to post it so the ladies here can read it too. This was originally posted by Lili on LHCF. I want to make sure and give her the credit.

First off this information is not just for relaxed heads. I feel that it's useful for natural and relaxed hair.

After much confusion with the hard water issue I decided to call in the big dogs; so I e-mailed Redken about this issue. I use a product of theirs called Hair Cleansing Cream and have been for a couple of years now. My question to them was if it was safe to use the Hair Cleansing Cream daily. I also asked them if it's a chelating cleanser then how is if effective if you are still rinsing with hard water. (For some it's common sense but for other's, like myself, it's a valid question). Well they e-mailed me back and asked that I call them for more information. So I called and spoke to an extremely helpful Redken technician named Judy. I asked her the first question.
    She said that she doesn't advise the use of the Cleansing Cream daily for relaxed or naturally curly hair because it may dry out the hair. She also advised against using it every other day but said that it was possible to do so; I'll take her advice though and continue to use it once a week.

She explained the second question (rinsing with hard water). She said hard water is not a bad thing. But the buildup from the hard water is. She said that what chelating cleansers like the Redken Hair Cleansing Cream do is allow penetration of the conditioner.

Then a big light finally went on in my head ... that is why the same conditioner will work well one time (I always use the Cleansing Cream when it's my first time using a conditioner) and doesn't do anything later on. Everytime I use the Cleansing Cream I always get excellent results from any conditioner that I use. However, when I use a different shampoo (even if it's a clarifier) with the same conditioner (over a period of time) I don't get the same results. I hope that makes sense??
    Over the years I have noticed so many people on here say that they use clarifying shampoos and that the conditioners they used to love still don't work anymore even after clarifying. I, too, was stumped as to why this happens - other than a change in the formula. So I have been doing research and found that in order to remove all of the mineral and calcium deposits you have to use a chelating shampoo.

Clarifying shampoos only remove surface buildup ... chelating shampoos cleanse the hair from the inside. Now some are harsh but there are others that are very gentle. Like I said, I absolutely love the Redken Cleansing Cream and my hair doesn't feel stripped or anything after using it.

She also said that using a chelating shampoo (of course she said the Cleansing Cream but I say chelating since Redken isn't the only brand that has a chelating cleanser) 48-72 hours before a relaxer will allow the relaxer to yield better results.

So I decided to ask her more and asked her what ingredients should a person avoid before applying a relaxer. She said anything that is made mostly of petroleum. She said it doesn't matter if it's used on the previously relaxed hair since you aren't supposed to put relaxer on those sections anyway; but make sure to avoid products with those ingredients on the new growth.

I also think that conditioners stop working due to buildup from switching to different conditioners. For instance:

Say you use Elucence with wonderful results and then switch to a different conditioner for a little while. When you switch back to your beloved Elucence you say, "Hey what happened ... this used to work and now it's crap".

If, before you start using the Elucence again, you cleansed your hair with a chelating shampoo, then Elucence might work just as well as it did before since you got rid of the buildup from the other conditioner.
    Yo amo El Senor! No hay otra que compara! ìViva La República Dominicana! Quisqueya

Fight them until hell freezes over, then fight them on the ice.
    The beatings will continue until your morale changes.

bump................for those of us with hard water
    Yo amo El Senor! No hay otra que compara! ìViva La República Dominicana! Quisqueya

Great post. We have hard water in Florida.
    Life is beautiful reach out and grasp, make the most of life live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by kita View Post
    Great post. We have hard water in Florida.
    We have it in CO too. I wish we didn't. I want a filter.

Quote Originally Posted by evanny View Post
    We have it in CO too. I wish we didn't. I want a filter.
    Is it only on your shower or is it a system? Is it expensive? I have a problem with my skin drying out I itch sometimes after taking a shower.
    Life is beautiful reach out and grasp, make the most of life live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by kita View Post
    Is it only on your shower or is it a system? Is it expensive? I have a problem with my skin drying out I itch sometimes after taking a shower.
    I want the whole system but they're expensive! I think I may do the shower head thing, that way my hair and my body can benefit at least.

Blog Entries

I think you can buy a charcoal filter to put in your shower head from Lowe's, Home Depot, or several other hardware stores. Thanks for sharing this post because I never knew what chelating was, I thought it was another word for clarifying.
    HAIR TYPE: 4 A/B (RELAXED)
    CURRENT LENGTH: ?
    HAIR GOAL: APL BY ???

Starting over

I've been looking into the charcoal filters. I think I'm going to try and talk my DH into it. Hopefully he'll listen.

Blog Entries

how do we know if we have hard water?

Quote Originally Posted by creolesugar View Post
    how do we know if we have hard water?
    Here's what I found:

The best way to tell whether water is hard or soft is the soapy factor. Soap and toothpaste do not lather up as quickly in hard water as in soft. Hard water contains all manner of insoluble minerals. A list of these minerals includes sulfates, chlorides, iron and bicardonates.

Another way to tell if you water is hard is the deposit test. If you see white deposits on water pipes that have been in use for a while, you have hard water. The white deposit is limescale.

The entire article is here: How To Know If You Have Hard Water Or Soft Water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast