$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flat ironing tips, anyone?

Anytime I flat iron my hair (I use a CHI) it still looks poofy and after a while it looks frizzy like I didn't do anything to it! Does anyone have any good flat ironing tips to keep my hair smoother throughout the day or know of any good youtube videos I can watch? I searched on youtube but didn't find any good ones.

I've heard of the comb chase method but I'm not sure exactly what it means. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

Blog Entries

Could you give a few more details?

Is your hair natural or relaxed?
    Do you airdry first or blowdry?
    What products do you use?
    4Bish texlaxed SL hair
    GOAL: Healthy hair with minimal/no breakage

Blog Entries

like abbyz said, can you give us more details?

You may not like me but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/Virtuous...P?feature=mhum

Blog Entries

You may need to get a new flat iron......,maybe not enough ions ......i have Chi......flat irons........when u finish your hair is really silky...also Paul Mitchell has the best ones.....check them out ...good luck!!!!

Here's some tips that Vermelha gave me:

Ok, a good tip on flat ironing relaxed hair. Be sure to deep condition with some sort of protein treatment before and after to safeguard against heat damage on the inside, while using a heat protectant spray to protect the outside.

I would suggest flat ironing your hair after clarifying, for two weeks and keeping it wrapped/rollerset/pin curled until the next wash. Heat works best on clarified hair without product buildup.
    Yo amo El Senor! No hay otra que compara! ├ČViva La Rep├║blica Dominicana! Quisqueya

Fight them until hell freezes over, then fight them on the ice.
    The beatings will continue until your morale changes.

Quote Originally Posted by abbyZ View Post
    Could you give a few more details?

Is your hair natural or relaxed?
    Do you airdry first or blowdry?
    What products do you use?
    I have SL thick relaxed hair.
    First, I blowdry my hair. Then, I usually just spray my hair with Silk Elements heat protectant. I part my hair starting from the bottom into small parts and go over each piece with the flat iron.

Ive never had a perm & i have naturally curly hair soooo all i ever do is flat iron...
    here r my tips:
    GOLD N HOT FLAT IRONS ARE AMAZING!
    spray a light amoutn of oil on hair before flat ironing
    use a circle brush
    wash it w/ clarifying shampoo 1st
    do a warm oil treatment before you condition

Quote Originally Posted by GilanaNana View Post
    Ive never had a perm & i have naturally curly hair soooo all i ever do is flat iron...
    here r my tips:
    GOLD N HOT FLAT IRONS ARE AMAZING!
    spray a light amoutn of oil on hair before flat ironing
    use a circle brush
    wash it w/ clarifying shampoo 1st
    do a warm oil treatment before you condition
    The oil and the heat doesnt scorch your hair???

I have not flat ironed my hair yet since I have been natural but to piggy back on this post, does anyone know anything about wet-to-dry flat irons and would that be better than blow drying and then using a flat iron?
    "Everyday is another chance to draw closer to GOD, another chance for renewal"

Big Chop: March 09
    Last Trim: 2/2/10

Quote Originally Posted by foxytrini View Post
    I have SL thick relaxed hair.
    First, I blowdry my hair. Then, I usually just spray my hair with Silk Elements heat protectant. I part my hair starting from the bottom into small parts and go over each piece with the flat iron.

Since your hair is relaxed, it's best to allow the hair to airdry because using both a blowdryer and heat on previously relaxed tresses will cause extra damage, even with a heat protectant. Here are some steps.

1. I would suggest clarifying and protein treating the hair first.
    2. Then apply the heat protectant on lightly towel-dried hair.
    3. Then plait (or wrap/rollerset) the hair at night and let it airdry.
    4. The next morning, the hair should be semi-straightened.
    5. Follow up with a flat iron in small sections just like you mentioned.

Other tips:
    • Use a Ceramic or Tourmaline flat iron because they are safer on relaxed hair and provide more even heat than gold and metal-plated tools.
    • Before flat ironing or using heat, apply a mild/moderate protein treatment to maintain's hair elasticity and strength (ApHogee 2-Minute Reconstructor or something similar)
    • After using heat, do a moisturizing deep condition treatment (best with a hooded dryer) to replenish lost moisture from heat usage (Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisture Treatment, ORS Moisture Pack, etc.)
    • Avoid usage of most oils. Coconut oil is OK in a light amount because it absorbs into the hair shaft, unlike many oils. I've found WGO to be a good absorbent oil as well. No grease or petroleum.
    • Use very little product for extra swing. One serum and/or heat protectant and a tad bit of oil on ends throughout the week is just enough to protect hair, Too much makes the hair greasy and limp.
    • NEVER touch up hair that has been heat styled with a heat tool. ALWAYS wash hair before applying heat again. If hair needs to be re-set, use rollers or wrap the hair throughout the week.
    • Also, be sure to oil hair and wear a silk scarf before going to bed. This helps protect ends while keeping the hair smooth.
    Those are all my tips. HTH (from a formerly relaxed head)
    3b/3c // M/C // ii

Regimen:
    Wash and condition weekly.
    Allow to air dry.
    Apply oils to hair and scalp.
    Gently brush through and wear a simple style.

Pointers:
    -I allow my hair to dry almost completely before styling, brushing or combing (aside from shower detangling).
    -I trim only when absolutely necessary.
    -I only wear like one or two oils. Products are too complicated sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast