$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Direct Heat vs Indirect Heat

The Dryer is your friend!!!

There are (at least to my knowledge) three different ways heat can be applied to the hair: air drying, indirect contact, and direct contact.

As far as the health of hair is concerned, air-drying the hair is the best way to go. But let’s be realistic, we’ve all seen the results of air-drying (on coarse hair) so I don’t expect this to be considered an option for most of my readers.

Because this heat is not applied directly to each strand, indirect heat (i.e. hooded dryer) is healthier for the hair then direct heat. Improper usage of the dryer can lead to hair breakage/damage. Falling asleep under the dryer and leaning your head against the dryer will burn the hair, on the side the heat comes into direct contact with. This will make indirect heat; now become direct heat (and depending upon how long you stay asleep…that direct heat now becomes hair breakage).

Direct heat (blow dryer, hot irons, hot rollers) is more damaging to the hair then indirect heat (hooded dryers) and/or air-drying. Because direct heat is applied directly to the hair, it has more of a damaging effect on the hair then indirect heat or air-drying. I strongly suggest, some kind of barrier be placed between the hair and the heat (being applied to the hair) before hand.

What I want to stress here is indirect heat is healthier for the hair in comparison to direct heat. In addition, indirect heat helps styles last longer! Hot curls never last as long as sets, now do they? (Feel free to agree with me).

If you do your styles at home, or if you are a professional reading this, remember, you don't have to have the heat on "hell" to get the hair dry. If memory serves me correctly, I think the difference between med and high is 15 mins. and a medium setting is healthier for the hair!

So the next time you make that dreaded trip to the dryer...try to keep in mind, it's not a punishment! The dryer is your friend!

Author: Ruth McDonald
    Contributing writer: Dwayne Pressley
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Concotion Partner - Shiro

Newly Natural!

Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

Thanks, because I always thought that you had to have the dryer on HELL. That what the stylists always do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    Thanks, because I always thought that you had to have the dryer on HELL. That what the stylists always do.
    lol I only use HELL heat for DC lol and I use use it for drying tooo but not anymore to be honest as I started a while back, I don't dry competely anymore I leave a it slightly moist NOT with water as such very very very slightly dampish to retain the moisture from my leave ins and the water also.
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Concotion Partner - Shiro

Newly Natural!

Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

Blog Entries

Love the article...mabye because I wrote it! Who the Hell is Ruth McDonald?
    If You Suffer From hairbreakage ...STOP!

Blog Entries

Default Cool

Great article leentora! That's why your one of my favorite people on here lol. I'll try the medium setting now that you said it's healthier, I always use to blast it high to get my roots straight, but I guess I could just be patient lol.
    Bced: Oct. 16th, 2009
    Challenges: Sulphur Mix, BHP 2012 Protective Styling, BSL (Challenge) for 2012, 2012 No Heat Challenges
    Haliboo my Wifey- Till Death Do US part! MUAH!!!
    Me + AC=NATURAL Hair buddies!
    Shiro &I=Hair Growth COMPARISON buddies
    http://beautifulkinks.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

you don't have to have the heat on "hell" to get the hair dry.

ROFL! That is such a great analogy and that is EXACTLY what high feels like.
    GODIVA (ID=4ANLBSL-N)

Don't sit around waiting for your dreams to come true....go after them with all your heart

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by leentora View Post
    The Dryer is your friend!!!

There are (at least to my knowledge) three different ways heat can be applied to the hair: air drying, indirect contact, and direct contact.

As far as the health of hair is concerned, air-drying the hair is the best way to go. But let’s be realistic, we’ve all seen the results of air-drying (on coarse hair) so I don’t expect this to be considered an option for most of my readers.

Because this heat is not applied directly to each strand, indirect heat (i.e. hooded dryer) is healthier for the hair then direct heat. Improper usage of the dryer can lead to hair breakage/damage. Falling asleep under the dryer and leaning your head against the dryer will burn the hair, on the side the heat comes into direct contact with. This will make indirect heat; now become direct heat (and depending upon how long you stay asleep…that direct heat now becomes hair breakage).

Direct heat (blow dryer, hot irons, hot rollers) is more damaging to the hair then indirect heat (hooded dryers) and/or air-drying. Because direct heat is applied directly to the hair, it has more of a damaging effect on the hair then indirect heat or air-drying. I strongly suggest, some kind of barrier be placed between the hair and the heat (being applied to the hair) before hand.

What I want to stress here is indirect heat is healthier for the hair in comparison to direct heat. In addition, indirect heat helps styles last longer! Hot curls never last as long as sets, now do they? (Feel free to agree with me).

If you do your styles at home, or if you are a professional reading this, remember, you don't have to have the heat on "hell" to get the hair dry. If memory serves me correctly, I think the difference between med and high is 15 mins. and a medium setting is healthier for the hair!

So the next time you make that dreaded trip to the dryer...try to keep in mind, it's not a punishment! The dryer is your friend!

Author: Ruth McDonald
    Contributing writer: Dwayne Pressley
    thanks for this advice i am bring this up to my stylist

What exactly does air drying do to coarse hair? because that's what I had been doing --I thought it was healthier but my hair would get very hard once completely dried.

I agree with all of this, to an extent. It direct heat damage can be prevented by product use. Say for instance, I use a blowdryer with a diffuser when I wear a curly afro.
    And in doing this, I must use product to preserve the curl in the hair, i.e. hair gel, curling creams, etc. With that in mind, the hair is protected by this sort of "barrier" or film of product that helps the hair dry while protecting the hair from direct contact with the heated appliance.

Furthermore, blowdryers (when applied directly to the naked hair shaft and on high heat) will become breakage, yet use of a diffuser (which diffuses the heat evenly) or a dome hair dryer on a medium/low or cool setting, provides little to no damage at all.

When using flat irons and curling irons, which are regarded as direct heat, it is hard to avoid some degree of damage to the hair shaft. The ends may not break off, but excessive heat leaves swollen bubbles along the internal part of the hair shaft. Take that, then a few days of styling and overmanipulating, and you have a broken hair.

Hair can be damaged internally as well as externally as the heat does penetrate through the hair shaft. And that penetration can be good when used for deep conditioning, protein treatments and even just a rollerset or diffusing curls. But when used in direct contact, one risks damage inside and outside the shaft, depending upon temperature and frequency of heat use, of course.

It's all in how you use the tools. These tools aren't the "devil", but when extra hot or used too frequently, they can contribute to serious damage.
    3b/3c // M/C // ii

Regimen:
    Wash and condition weekly.
    Allow to air dry.
    Apply oils to hair and scalp.
    Gently brush through and wear a simple style.

Pointers:
    -I allow my hair to dry almost completely before styling, brushing or combing (aside from shower detangling).
    -I trim only when absolutely necessary.
    -I only wear like one or two oils. Products are too complicated sometimes.

lol @ "hell" I like to use that setting b/c I have really thick hair..
    Thanks for the advice, I will slow it down and take that xtra 15 min to dry
    "Everyday is another chance to draw closer to GOD, another chance for renewal"

Big Chop: March 09
    Last Trim: 2/2/10

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast