$vboptions[bbtitle]
Not Yet a Member?
You are missing a lot of fun
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,388
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Co-washing Technique & Benefit(s)

    Definition
    Co-Washing is a technique that entails washing your hair solely with conditioner; this includes massaging the conditioner into your scalp like you would with shampoo as well as putting it on the length of your hair.

    Benefits
    Moisture, moisture, moisture! As well as softness and added manageability for new growth

    How-To
    Everyone does it differently. There is really no 'right' way to co-wash. If you do it differently than someone else, you will not be damaging your hair. Personally, I let water run over the length of my hair and apply my conditioner in sections so I know that my hair is evenly coated. I then massage it into my scalp and finger comb it through, which helps with the detangling process later. Afterwards, I proceed to continue about my activities around the house and rinse it out say with 10-15mins.

    Products
    Most of us prefer to use cheap conditioners because we co wash often. Favourites tend to be: Suave, White Rain, and VO5, Herbal Essences. Some people cannot use cheap shampoos so they use conditioners like Keracare Humecto, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner, and Nexxus Humectress

    Growth
    Because co washing can also clean the scalp, I believe it is good for growth. Because the hair is moisturized and soft it breaks leass which which is length is retainsed, hair also grows faster with a cleaner scalp. Some ladies report receiving enhanced growth from frequent co washes.

    How Often
    The average range is from daily to once a week/bi-weekly. This obviously varies.

    Feel free to add whatever else you would like to or ask any questions!

    Other Terms Used
    The no-poo method means you don't use Shampoo at all, whereas the co-wash means that you do it in between washes. Lo-poo means occasionally using shampoo.
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference



    Concotion Partner - Shiro


    Newly Natural!



    Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,270
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I did a CO-WASH Yesterday Im so Proud of myself

    Pretty in Pink

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,388
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CREODiiVA View Post
    I did a CO-WASH Yesterday Im so Proud of myself
    good girl I co wash more now, but I use ayurvedic rinse or the paste more too lol I only shampoo once a month to clarify, oh yea remember we are coming to the end of our Crown & Glory Challenge I am tired of braids now I won't really know my true length until say January as I will be in my relaxer str-e-e-etcher until the 20th Dec 2008 (6th month stre-e-e-tch) baby
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference



    Concotion Partner - Shiro


    Newly Natural!



    Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NJ by way of VA
    Posts
    289

    Default

    I had no idea what a co wash was, but I usually would do it in the summertime. I am happy to know that it was a good thing to do. I dont think that I would like to go without a shampoo however, because the buildup could be too much for my hair. I was checking out my shampoos and the only one that does not have the sodium laureth sulfate is my Aveda Moisturizing shampoo. I did find the clarifier by your favorite brand that you told me to find Leentora, It was only about 8 dollars. I am going to pick it up next weekend. I also read that a natural way to strip your hair is with a part of vinegar or lemon juice. However, lemon juice will lighten your hair as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,388
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajingbutterfli View Post
    I had no idea what a co wash was, but I usually would do it in the summertime. I am happy to know that it was a good thing to do. I dont think that I would like to go without a shampoo however, because the buildup could be too much for my hair. I was checking out my shampoos and the only one that does not have the sodium laureth sulfate is my Aveda Moisturizing shampoo. I did find the clarifier by your favorite brand that you told me to find Leentora, It was only about 8 dollars. I am going to pick it up next weekend. I also read that a natural way to strip your hair is with a part of vinegar or lemon juice. However, lemon juice will lighten your hair as well.
    Yes from what I read it will lighten the hair or enhance your hair color, honey doe the samething too, but molasses does the opposite it will dark the hair!
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference



    Concotion Partner - Shiro


    Newly Natural!



    Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,270
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leentora View Post
    good girl I co wash more now, but I use ayurvedic rinse or the paste more too lol I only shampoo once a month to clarify, oh yea remember we are coming to the end of our Crown & Glory Challenge I am tired of braids now I won't really know my true length until say January as I will be in my relaxer str-e-e-etcher until the 20th Dec 2008 (6th month stre-e-e-tch) baby
    I want to take some update pictures In january also ...I Have a idea on how it might look..Once alot of my NG Kicks in my hair will look even shorter ..I get alot of shrinkage .......But yea I wash once a month to ...I co-wash more just because of this forum ......So January is the date we will take new hair photos RIGHT ??

    Pretty in Pink

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,388
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CREODiiVA View Post
    I want to take some update pictures In january also ...I Have a idea on how it might look..Once alot of my NG Kicks in my hair will look even shorter ..I get alot of shrinkage .......But yea I wash once a month to ...I co-wash more just because of this forum ......So January is the date we will take new hair photos RIGHT ??
    Yes partner!
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference



    Concotion Partner - Shiro


    Newly Natural!



    Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,270
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leentora View Post
    Yes partner!
    I dont want to rush the Months If Im to excited My hair wont grow lol ....My hair grows slow but once it starts kicking it I'll love it ..So what exactly did you say you co-washed with ? when I co-wash I leave it in for like 30 Min Because of the texture that I have ..Is that ok ?

    Pretty in Pink

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,388
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CREODiiVA View Post
    I dont want to rush the Months If Im to excited My hair wont grow lol ....My hair grows slow but once it starts kicking it I'll love it ..So what exactly did you say you co-washed with ? when I co-wash I leave it in for like 30 Min Because of the texture that I have ..Is that ok ?
    At the moment I am co-washing with Tresseme conditoner, I let it sit for a while say 10-15mins then I rinse out. And add coconut oil to scalp and roots and where my hair ends in the braids, but when I have my hair out of braids - I will co-wash and then DC with one of my DC conditoner and use a steam cap and under he dryer for 30-45mins.

    Everyone do it different and uses different conditioner, whatever works for your hair and make yuu see results stick with it, with cowashing there is no wrong way really of doing it, as long as you are washing with a conditioner NOT SHAMPOO, and also make sure that the condioner has no PROTEIN in it has you will have some serious disaster sooner or later!

    If leaving it on for 30mins makes your hair clean and feels moisturized then carry on doing that, it sounds good.
    Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference



    Concotion Partner - Shiro


    Newly Natural!



    Making Africa and other nations of people of color smaller than they appear; diminishes their importance.
    Now, we've been getting history through a Eurocentric perspective. In order for us to live together, we have to have a fair and accurate account of our history

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,270
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leentora View Post
    At the moment I am co-washing with Tresseme conditoner, I let it sit for a while say 10-15mins then I rinse out. And add coconut oil to scalp and roots and where my hair ends in the braids, but when I have my hair out of braids - I will co-wash and then DC with one of my DC conditoner and use a steam cap and under he dryer for 30-45mins.

    Everyone do it different and uses different conditioner, whatever works for your hair and make yuu see results stick with it, with cowashing there is no wrong way really of doing it, as long as you are washing with a conditioner NOT SHAMPOO, and also make sure that the condioner has no PROTEIN in it has you will have some serious disaster sooner or later!

    If leaving it on for 30mins makes your hair clean and feels moisturized then carry on doing that, it sounds good.

    I used That Aussie Moist stuff ..I dont know if it has protein in it..I dont think so ...But yeah it left my hair feeling good and after I did a DC With the Olive oil replenishing PAK ...And rubbed africas best hair oil threw my hair and then air dryed

    Pretty in Pink

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Connect with us

Blackhairplanet.com is your online black haircare directory, forum, and online mag! We keep you in the know about the black hair care industry!

facebook twitter youtube rss

Join Us

Latest Post

Loading...
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.