View Full Version : castor oil is making my head itch

lisa00
09-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Every time I use castor oil on my scalp, my head starts to itch? It's not a severe itch. Should I stop using or continue.

hanna_light
09-15-2010, 08:10 PM
You may want to dilute it with something like EVOO or EVCO. Sadly a lot of people myself included have an allergic reaction to using the oil by itself.

godiva
09-16-2010, 06:10 AM
In addition to diluting it, you may want to try not using so much product on your scalp. A little goes a long way.

Starliante
09-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Yea I don't use it on my scalp..That's a nono..
It's fine on my hair though.

purpledoll
09-16-2010, 06:24 AM
You may want to dilute it with something like EVOO or EVCO. Sadly a lot of people myself included have an allergic reaction to using the oil by itself. cute pig i like him.

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-16-2010, 06:32 AM
IDK the 'itch' makes me feel like it's working I chose not to dilute mine...I squeeze a little in the cover of my sulfur 8 (smallest one) just enough to cover the surface and I apply directly to my scalp with my finger tips every other day (my side and nape gets it every day)...my hair is itching as we speak....lol, but if the itching concerns you dilute it like the others suggested and decrease your use, this should work...hth

mskyra
09-16-2010, 08:39 AM
My scalp itches as well using the JBCO, but I have started mixing it with EVOO and it's much better.

Halibel
09-16-2010, 08:40 AM
I read up about the reason why people have an itch from CO or JBCO. And its not due to allergies.

So we have had a few of inquiries regarding itchy scalp with the use of Tropic Isle Black Jamaican Castor Oil. The answer, believe it or not, is quiet simple…your scalp is in crisis…I know…what is that all about!!... Scalp Crisis. Well this blog will explain.

Tropic Isle Black Jamaican Castor Oil removes toxins from the body, and as you know your skin is the largest eliminator of waste…your scalp is no different. When toxins are being removed from your scalp with the Castor oil, one may have itchy scalp due to the acidic levels of the toxins that are being removed.

Why does this happen? Well, those who have permed hair or had permed hair in the past knows that the chemicals used to achieve “the look” are very strong and it is also absorbs into your scalp. Does this means that you should stop perming? No… it is a matter of choice. However, by adding Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil to your hair routine you are in effect detoxifying your scalp regularly to bring about the great results you have been receiving from using our product.

It is quite simple… we detoxify our bodies on a daily basis by eating fiber, green leafy vegetables and by drinking lots of water for your bodies to maintain its optimal health. Therefore by using Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil line of products you are doing the same thing for your scalp and hair.

Now if the itching is really a bother…we highly recommend you use the Strong Roots Red Pimento Hair Growth Oil instead of the Jamaican Black Castor Oil. This product will help to arrest the itchy scalp and still give you similar great results as our Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO). You may also add wheat germ oil to the Castor Oil instead.

It is for this reason we have created our Tropic Isle Hair Care System which includes the Jamaican black Castor oil, shampoo, protein conditioner, hair food and now Strong Roots Red Pimento Hair Growth Oil. All these lovely products have one thing in common…they all have the JBCO in their ingredients ensuring each step of the way our scalp is being detoxified and nourished for optimal scalp and hair health.

Makes sense to me because it seems a lil' silly that ALMOST EVERYBODY is allergic to this stuff. =/

godiva
09-16-2010, 08:50 AM
^wow! interesting stuff. so regular castor also detoxifies or is it just the JBCO?

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-16-2010, 12:48 PM
@ Hali it's nice too know the reasons but I really wasn't concerned, it's not a severe itch just enough itching to make you notice....

Halibel
09-16-2010, 03:01 PM
^wow! interesting stuff. so regular castor also detoxifies or is it just the JBCO?

Errr, um, I dunno....I think it could be both but the article was about JBCO. My head itched a bit when I used regular CO...but maybe it was just me lol.

Halibel
09-16-2010, 03:02 PM
@ Hali it's nice too know the reasons but I really wasn't concerned, it's not a severe itch just enough itching to make you notice....

lol right....those little itches can be so annoying at times haha.

Brendita
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Castor oil is REALLY potent. If you use too much of it, it can have the effects of an astringent on the skin: This is why it's used (in small amounts) in the oil cleansing method. If I were having the reaction you described, I would cut it out all together: There are SO many other beneficial oils you can use.

MonieLuv
10-25-2010, 04:01 PM
HeyHey,
Im new here but thought it would be fun to look through of the questions and with yours... I would instead try coconut oil & add a drop of T-tree. Great for the scalp and helps with dry itchy patches.

melodina
01-23-2011, 05:49 AM
I always thought that it was due to my hair growing because after a few days i would feel new hair growth after i had scratched

PurplePeony
01-07-2012, 08:53 PM
IDK the 'itch' makes me feel like it's working I chose not to dilute mine...I squeeze a little in the cover of my sulfur 8 (smallest one) just enough to cover the surface and I apply directly to my scalp with my finger tips every other day (my side and nape gets it every day)...my hair is itching as we speak....lol, but if the itching concerns you dilute it like the others suggested and decrease your use, this should work...hth

I thought about mixing mine w/ Sulfur 8 too. How did that work for ya?

PurplePeony
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Castor oil is REALLY potent. If you use too much of it, it can have the effects of an astringent on the skin: This is why it's used (in small amounts) in the oil cleansing method. If I were having the reaction you described, I would cut it out all together: There are SO many other beneficial oils you can use.

Wow...I didn`t know that. Maybe I`ll just use it for hot oil treatments :scared: