View Full Version : Oils that are high in ceramide content

evanny
09-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I was googling ceramides online and I ran across a link to a thread on The Long Hair Community Forum. It shows which oils are high in ceramides, and how much of a percentage of ceramide content they have. I thought this would be great information for our hair care, especially for us relaxed ladies.

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32% [17]
Canola oil 21%
Egg yolk 16%
Linseed oil 15%
Lard 10%
Olive oil 10%
Palm oil 10%
Cocoa butter 3%
Macadamia oil 2%
Butter 2%
Coconut oil 2%

Some of the things listed aren't oils, but it's still good to know that egg yolk contains ceramides, especially for those of us using the egg treatment.

godiva
09-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks, Evanny. The only thing I knew for sure that I had containing ceramides was the Skala Ceramide G3 conditioner. The oils I use are low on the list you posted.

evanny
09-14-2010, 02:10 PM
You're welcome Godiva. I would have thought that Wheat Germ Oil would have been high on the list, but it isn't as high as I thought. I've already been using an oil that's really high up on the list and didn't even realize it.

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Interesting, I can buy a few of these from my local supermarket...

I was googling ceramides online and I ran across a link to a thread on The Long Hair Community Forum. It shows which oils are high in ceramides, and how much of a percentage of ceramide content they have. I thought this would be great information for our hair care, especially for us relaxed ladies.

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32% [17]
Canola oil 21%
Egg yolk 16%
Linseed oil 15%
Lard 10%
Olive oil 10%
Palm oil 10%
Cocoa butter 3%
Macadamia oil 2%
Butter 2%
Coconut oil 2%

Some of the things listed aren't oils, but it's still good to know that egg yolk contains ceramides, especially for those of us using the egg treatment.

naomimaxine927
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Forgive me, but what are ceramides?

miZZPortah
09-14-2010, 07:25 PM

I was just about to ask the same thing, I'm doing a Google search right now.

miZZPortah
09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Here's a link to a decent article on ceramides

Ceramides: Remedy for Dry, Damaged Hair? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2745257/ceramides_remedy_for_dry_damaged_hair.html)

naomimaxine927
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks MizzP! That was really informative!

miZZPortah
09-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks MizzP! That was really informative!

You welcome boo :D

naomimaxine927
09-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Tee hee! So ceramides are good! Got you! lol

curlcrew2
09-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks E for the info and great info too Mizz....I use grapeseed to seal along with CO...

evanny
09-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok I just went back to the place where I got the information and they are saying that this info may or may not be 100% true. I'll keep reading there to see how it all unfolds. I'll also be doing a little research on this myself.

evanny
09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Okay so here's some info that I found on LHCF by a poster named lilikoi. She's quite informative.

That lists refers to linoleic acid percentages, NOT CERAMIDES.
The original list appears here:
http://www.news-medical.net/health/O...leic-Acid.aspx

To my knowledge, there's no natural plant-based oil that contains such high percentages of ceramides as listed in the quoted thread (usual content is way less that 10%). The original poster probably found the erroneously labeled list at the long hair comunity forum (sorry,no link for this one--it's again this forum's rules. But you can look it up. The tread title is " Ceramides" in the "Mane" forum...) The poster there didn't even bother to mention a reference.

I looked up a couple of scientific papers on lipid analysis of various oils. The percentages listed are:
rice oil-- ~1% ceramide
walnut oil-- ~2.3% sphingolipids (wich are mostly but not totally composed of ceramides)
almond oil-- Looks like 22% ceramide out of 10% polar lipids in the total oil sample (90% neutral oils) which represents a correction: ignore this--->ceramide<---- sphingolipid concentration of ~2.2 % and a ceramide concentration of %60 of that for ~1.32% ceramide in the total oil amount (someone check my math):

"Lipid classes of almond oil
The analysis of oil A showed the presence of five lipid classes (Table I). Neutral lipids were found in high amounts (89.9% of total lipids) and the predominant lipid class was the triacylglycerides (84.7%) while the polar lipids represented 10.1% of total lipids. The polar lipids were found to be consisted of 22% sphingolipids and 78% phospholipids. Further analysis of sphingolipids presented two distinctive groups of which type III and type IV ceramides were 60% of total sphingolipids. In the phospholipid class the predominant phospholipid was phosphatidylethanolamine (37% of phospholipids)."

Here's the links to the original research articles:

almond: http://www.znaturforsch.com/ac/v59c/s59c0330.pdf
rice: http://www.journalarchive.jst.go.jp/...om=jnlabstract
walnut:http://www.znaturforsch.com/ac/v57c/s57c0051.pdf

Again, a lot of these websites make a lot of claims without actually citing any references (argh! pet peeve) and that misleads the reader. Someone replied to that blog in the comments sections saying:

"Little One, you are right that they only add ceramide in small concentrations- as low as 0.1% to 0.5% (emphasis mine). The L'oreal study used 0.1% and was clearly more than sufficient.

The concentrated product from L'Oreal claims to be 10 times more concentrated than what you would find in hair (which is not much anyway lol). However that is the claim."

I totally agree with that comment. Now, if you the concentrations (listed in my previous post) of ceramides in the three oils I bothered to research is 1-2%, which is 10 more that loreal used in the study! Imagine the benefits if you use a ceramide rich oil everyday!

godiva
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

This article does a nice job of explaining (I even learned something else today): Ceramides: Remedy for Dry, Damaged Hair? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2745257/ceramides_remedy_for_dry_damaged_hair.html?cat=69)

PurplePeony
01-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I need some Safflower oil & Grape seed oil

leentora
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
I have grapeseed oil on order, I want to try the walnut oil and sunflower oil and maybe wheat germ oil.

leentora
01-13-2012, 09:29 AM
I need some Safflower oil & Grape seed oil

This is your best bet Camden-Grey Essential Oils, Inc. (http://www.camdengrey.com/) I love this supplier.

PrincessRN
01-15-2012, 07:29 AM
I have grapeseed oil on order, I want to try the walnut oil and sunflower oil and maybe wheat germ oil.

My hair LOVES wheat germ oil. When I finish this bottle, I am going to try hemp oil which I hear is even better.

leentora
01-16-2012, 03:37 AM
My hair LOVES wheat germ oil. When I finish this bottle, I am going to try hemp oil which I hear is even better.

Oh my I just saw this and I a post earlier on it, but I did it on the internal benefits :o.