View Full Version : oil in ur relaxer

jasnian0313
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I've heard that putting some oil like coconut oil or olive oil in ur relaxer is good for ur hair and it helps condition it and prevent overprocessing...have any of u guys tried it...if so how was it. i was thinking about trying it when i relaxed my hair

Dividir
08-08-2008, 03:20 PM
It should prevent over processing, as it slows down the relaxer process. I tried it but I cant remember the results. I think alot of the time I self relax like that my hair is underprocesd. But I prefer it that way than over processd. And my hair does turn out to be thicker (for obvious reasons) when it is under processd

jasnian0313
08-09-2008, 02:58 AM
thats good...i probably will try it next time. i would rather have my have overprocessed than underprocessed...r u texlaxed or u try to go bone straight

The Anti Hair Slave
08-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I would prefer underprocess than over process which can lead to damage... under processed is like texlaxed.

Dividir
08-09-2008, 11:17 PM
thats good...i probably will try it next time. i would rather have my have overprocessed than underprocessed...r u texlaxed or u try to go bone straight

I used to relax (not bone straight, but close enough to) but I have started texlaxing. so oil thing would come in handy. I was doing it with amla oil at one point.

But I still have to make sure I have a serious condition after the relax.

I still experimenting with mine at the moment, but I have to wait a while because I am trying to relax/ texlax my hair maximum of 4 times a year.

In my opinion it is better to have you hair under-processed than over processed because 1. you cant rectify over processing but you can fix under processing.
2. I can get my hair as straight as a relaxer with a Hard brush, some setting lotion, a scarf, and my flat irons (with the relevant heat protection of course!)

Sunshyne
08-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I would prefer underprocess than over process which can lead to damage... under processed is like texlaxed.

Same here! My new growth is always texlaxed.

Cidney
08-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Oil in the relaxer! That is something I will try next touch -up:D

jasnian0313
08-10-2008, 10:39 AM
thanks dividir...i think that if i do transition i will transition to texlaxed if nething...yea i would much rather be underprocessed than anything..w. the oil in ur relaxer how long do u leave the relaxer on ur head for??

Dividir
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
thanks dividir...i think that if i do transition i will transition to texlaxed if nething...yea i would much rather be underprocessed than anything..w. the oil in ur relaxer how long do u leave the relaxer on ur head for??

The same length of time you would usually put it in for. Or maybe a bit longer , thats what I would do. Next time I self relax I have to try and mix in my oil.

I am trying to see how long I can try to stretch my relaxer with out it breaking or me giving in to the creamy crack. But we'll see

jasnian0313
08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
ok...thanks

kita
08-22-2008, 03:59 AM
What is Texlax?

leentora
08-22-2008, 05:35 AM
Mmmm oil in relaxer, never thought of that, I don't mind try that next time, I will have to mix some in a different jar as I have a 5lb tub of Affirm, I would like to see how my hair turns out, I also prefer underprocess hair than over processed hair as in that case of over processed you are in for trouble.

I have a preservo that goes along side the relaxer and it works quite well; see it in the post of Keracare Products II and it say what it does while relaxing.

jasnian0313
08-22-2008, 08:39 PM
leentora i am going to try it on sunday so i will let u guys know how it works out and how i used it, etc...(crossing fingers):)

leentora
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM
leentora i am going to try it on sunday so i will let u guys know how it works out and how i used it, etc...(crossing fingers):)

Ok yes please I am really keen to know, crossing fingers peesh I am praying for you girl.

Mmmm I hope I didn't scare you....., sorry

jasnian0313
08-22-2008, 08:52 PM
o no...i am just scared myself u aint scare me lol....i am probaby going to do it myself (normally my sister does it) and i just dont want to make any mistakes...

i am also worried that i will leave the relaxer in too long...i only want to texlax and my hair has diff textures right now as it is...parts are wavy, others are kinky, and then others are straight...trying to figure out how this is going to work

CREODiiVA
08-23-2008, 11:11 PM
What about Putting alittle WGO In my relaxer ????

jasnian0313
08-24-2008, 09:14 AM
i havent heard bout using stuff like that just like olive/coconut oil...curious to know what everybody else has to say

CREODiiVA
08-24-2008, 09:27 AM
I mean It has natural Ingredients ..But Its a Mix of cocunut,Jojoba,&olive oil,

jasnian0313
08-24-2008, 09:38 AM
well then i see y not...is that what u r gonna use?

CREODiiVA
08-24-2008, 09:45 AM
well then i see y not...is that what u r gonna use?

maybe...I dont want anything bad to happen ..Do you think since Im waiting 6 Months between each Relaxer Should I switch To a a stronger one..

I dont really want that staright look doe..maybe texlax

LilMissRed
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I was wondering about this since Ive seen it in a few posts.. oil in the relaxer.. I must try this

jasnian0313
09-24-2008, 03:04 PM
i dunno creo...if u want texlax then i dont see y u couldnt use a regular relaxer...

but yea guys the oil in the relaxer worked really good for me...

CREODiiVA
09-25-2008, 01:42 PM
i dunno creo...if u want texlax then i dont see y u couldnt use a regular relaxer...

but yea guys the oil in the relaxer worked really good for me...

O Send me a message to the page and tell me what all used cuz I might tex lax

niakins
09-29-2008, 05:13 PM
I just put 1/4c. coconut oil in my ORS Relaxer (Extra Str since I'm 4a/4b and I've been stretching for 5 months) My hair... thus far... is *lovely* (crossin fingers) I left it in for the 23 by accident! Thank goodness for the extra oil then huh? It was new growth only of course and my hair is a little wavy which I'm sure will straighten out in no time if I choose to. Right now I'm sittin here with the replenishing pak and some more coconut oil in it for an hour! So i figured i'd get acquainted with the forums. :)

urbanmystic6
09-29-2008, 05:34 PM
I read putting oil in your relaxer was good. It slows down the processing which allows more time to work in your hair. It also moisturizes the hair. How long have you been ORS relaxer? How do you like it?

nicdel85
10-03-2008, 08:04 AM
I have added olive oil to my relaxer with good results. I added about a tablespoon to the entire jar of creme of nature lye relaxer (i believe it was an 8 oz jar), mixed it together then relaxed my hair. My hair was great- really shiny, but my skin breaks out when I use products with olive oil, so I had to discontinue. Now I use coconut oil, and it works just as well if not better.

California
10-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I use the Just for Me Texture Releaxer and it includes a small bottle of sunflower oil. You are suppose to use half on your hair before relaxing and the other half is mixed with the product. I think its great. All perms/relaxer companys should include this.

Ladycc
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I have been adding oil to relaxers for years. I do it with my nieces hair as well.

trisey42
10-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi I use a relaxer that has the olive oil already in it and it is wonderful your hair feels so silky and smooth and it really conditions the hair and when you get ready to comb your hair out very little tangles. The name of the relaxer is Organic Root Stimulator
Good Luck

hair4me09
12-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Hello ladies! I am new and not very familiar with all the terms yet, but what does texlaxed mean?

SassyStylist
12-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I was wondering about this since Ive seen it in a few posts.. oil in the relaxer.. I must try this

I have been doin this w/ olive oil for a minute now and you can definitely see and feel the results

Queensheba
12-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi wats texlaxed???

doremie13
12-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Ladies! I just switched to using a lye relaxer, but I think I didn't leave it in long enough because I was scared of over doing it. I actually don't like my hair to get bone straight, so I will try adding oil next time.

blkqueen1882
12-27-2008, 06:31 PM
My sister's hairdresser does this. She's in between APL & BSL level now and she was at shoulder length when she started going to her. She did it because my sister (and myself) were using no-lye relaxers and her stylist only does lye. She said the oil that she adds to it makes it more of a in between lye and no lye while adding moisture to the hair. I don't know how true that is. My sister's hair is bone straight AND healthy though which is the look I always tried going for but we have different textured hair.

idmartin
04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
What type of oil?

Trendolyn
04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
You know I think this would be really awesome for those of us that use no-lye relaxers just b/c of how drying they can be.

naomimaxine927
04-14-2009, 05:23 PM
I see it all the time but what in the world is a texlax?

foxytrini
04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Do you add the oil to the relaxer itself or put it in your hair before relaxing? Which one is beneficial? I guess it doesn't matter since it ends up in your hair anyway...

evanny
04-15-2009, 03:04 PM
For all who asked, texlaxing is when you only leave the relaxer in for about half the time and not smoothing the hair.

I wanted to try adding oil to my relaxer, but the relaxer that I use doesn't get my hair bone straight at all anyway. It says on the jar that it's mixed with jojoba oil. IDK, I may try it out anyway.

I forgot someone asked what type of oil. You can use coconut, olive, jojoba, or sunflower oil. Those are the only oils that I've heard of being mixed into the relaxers. I wonder if avocado oil would be good?

evanny
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Do you add the oil to the relaxer itself or put it in your hair before relaxing? Which one is beneficial? I guess it doesn't matter since it ends up in your hair anyway...

To my knowledge you add it to the jar of relaxer.

ritarose
04-15-2009, 06:52 PM
I have added the aphogee essential oil to my relaxer (ORS) and it seems to make a great difference in adding a sheen and smoothness to my hair...

CherriPepsi
04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
For all who asked, texlaxing is when you only leave the relaxer in for about half the time and not smoothing the hair.

I wanted to try adding oil to my relaxer, but the relaxer that I use doesn't get my hair bone straight at all anyway. It says on the jar that it's mixed with jojoba oil. IDK, I may try it out anyway.

I forgot someone asked what type of oil. You can use coconut, olive, jojoba, or sunflower oil. Those are the only oils that I've heard of being mixed into the relaxers. I wonder if avocado oil would be good?

Avocado oil is very moisturizing and great for the skin. It might be a good idea.

Famke
04-26-2009, 03:46 AM
Ah well:da fool::sleep::crying:

dancerTJ
04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
I have not tried putting oil in a relaxer. But, the next time I relax my hair, I will give it a try. Snd I will let you ladies and gents know, how it turned out.

azucarmoreno
05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I used to relax (not bone straight, but close enough to) but I have started texlaxing. so oil thing would come in handy. I was doing it with amla oil at one point.

But I still have to make sure I have a serious condition after the relax.

I still experimenting with mine at the moment, but I have to wait a while because I am trying to relax/ texlax my hair maximum of 4 times a year.

In my opinion it is better to have you hair under-processed than over processed because 1. you cant rectify over processing but you can fix under processing.
2. I can get my hair as straight as a relaxer with a Hard brush, some setting lotion, a scarf, and my flat irons (with the relevant heat protection of course!)
Could anyone explain what is "texlaxed"?? I've never heard that term before...also, what are the benefits of "texlaxing" vs a regular relaxer?? Thanks.

azucarmoreno
05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I have added olive oil to my relaxer with good results. I added about a tablespoon to the entire jar of creme of nature lye relaxer (i believe it was an 8 oz jar), mixed it together then relaxed my hair. My hair was great- really shiny, but my skin breaks out when I use products with olive oil, so I had to discontinue. Now I use coconut oil, and it works just as well if not better.
Did the oil change or alter the way the relaxer worked on your hair?? I am curious. I may try adding olive and coconut oils to my relaxer next time and see what happens...

FleurDesLis
05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Did the oil change or alter the way the relaxer worked on your hair?? I am curious. I may try adding olive and coconut oils to my relaxer next time and see what happens...

It just slows down the relaxing process and if you are not used to it then you may end up underprocessed. The benefits: It gives you more time if you are self relaxing and it acts as barrier for on your previously relaxed hair and adds some conditioning to the process

azucarmoreno
05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
It just slows down the relaxing process and if you are not used to it then you may end up underprocessed. The benefits: It gives you more time if you are self relaxing and it acts as barrier for on your previously relaxed hair and adds some conditioning to the process
Do you think there is a difference between adding oil to the relaxer vs applying oil/vaseline to the hair and scalp as a protective barrier?? I would like to try adding oil to my relaxer but I am afraid of underprocessing my hair and end up with two different textures in each strand...

choshi1
11-23-2009, 06:33 AM
i think i will have to rethink my relaxer strategy by adding oil, i usually use optimum super strength and i don't apply heat. but i still take like forever to apply the relaxer. thanks for the tip, how much oil shud be added?

evanny
11-23-2009, 09:43 AM
i think i will have to rethink my relaxer strategy by adding oil, i usually use optimum super strength and i don't apply heat. but i still take like forever to apply the relaxer. thanks for the tip, how much oil shud be added?

You add heat to your relaxer?

I've seen people mix anywhere from 1 to 6 tablespoons of oil into their relaxer.

choshi1
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
You add heat to your relaxer?

I've seen people mix anywhere from 1 to 6 tablespoons of oil into their relaxer.

sorry evanny i meant after the relaxer.lol.thanks for the response:D:D

evanny
11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
sorry evanny i meant after the relaxer.lol.thanks for the response:D:D

Oh! I was getting all excited like what does that do?! LOL!! :D

choshi1
11-27-2009, 04:18 AM
Oh! I was getting all excited like what does that do?! LOL!! :D

:)
lol, maybe somebody has tried it.have always been afraid of that. You could wind up with no hair on your head and sporting a mohawk :D

evanny
11-27-2009, 06:32 PM
:)
lol, maybe somebody has tried it.have always been afraid of that. You could wind up with no hair on your head and sporting a mohawk :D

HAHA!! You'd be bald with patches! :D Oh, I'd never try it out, it sounds a bit scary.

choshi1
11-27-2009, 10:01 PM
HAHA!! You'd be bald with patches! :D Oh, I'd never try it out, it sounds a bit scary.

:D:D Evanny!!! it really is scary but if people can put formaldehyde in their hair...they might just put heat. i am sure there are some people with resistant hair who sit under a dryer. i live in africa people do some dangerous stuff to their hair, ok not dangerous but very uncaring things to it, at least with oil in your relaxer you get benefits

evanny
11-28-2009, 01:59 AM
:D:D Evanny!!! it really is scary but if people can put formaldehyde in their hair...they might just put heat. i am sure there are some people with resistant hair who sit under a dryer. i live in africa people do some dangerous stuff to their hair, ok not dangerous but very uncaring things to it, at least with oil in your relaxer you get benefits

You have a point there! I was reading a story about a lady who was relaxing her hair and she did house work and even took a nap! :eek: Needless to say, her hair suffered greatly! You live in Africa?! That's awesome!! :D

choshi1
11-28-2009, 08:06 AM
You have a point there! I was reading a story about a lady who was relaxing her hair and she did house work and even took a nap! :eek: Needless to say, her hair suffered greatly! You live in Africa?! That's awesome!! :D

wow -she should have added a ton of oil to help reduce the damage slightly. and that happens quite frequently here because people really want bone straight hair. thanks the only thing is it tends to get tricky when it comes to sticking to favourite hair products you might not find them in the stores. But i think in general we like hair the longer the better.;)

evanny
11-28-2009, 11:39 AM
wow -she should have added a ton of oil to help reduce the damage slightly. and that happens quite frequently here because people really want bone straight hair. thanks the only thing is it tends to get tricky when it comes to sticking to favourite hair products you might not find them in the stores. But i think in general we like hair the longer the better.;)

I don't think the oil would have helped her. :( Leaving on a relaxer that long is dangerous!!! She literally had hair coming out in clumps when she finally washed out the relaxer! We have a lady here that lives in Hawaii and a couple from the UK and they say the same thing. They cant always find the same hair products that we find. That would make me sad b/c I buy products like crazy! I have it bad...lol