View Full Version : Henna to loosen curl

eyekandy22
08-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Does anyone use henna to loosen their curl pattern, or does it have that effect for anyone? I use henna frequently, usually once a month for conditioning and color, and it has never loosened my curls.
Now that I'm natural, I notice my hair tangles really easily, and I don't care about changing the curl pattern for appearances, but if it'll reduce the tangling and help with retention I'm all for it. I didn't chop of my hair for it to get stuck in the TWA stage- I need it to stay tangle free and keep growing!

So I want to bump up my hennaing to every 2 weeks, and see if that makes a difference. Heat damage is not something I want, and the coconut/lime mixture idea is a no-no for me, I'm done with experimenting with food in my hair (except honey for lightening- I'm gonna try that out :))

Does anyone use henna to loosen curls? OR does anyone use henna every 2 weeks or less and what have your results been positive or negative? thanx

Dividir
08-08-2010, 03:52 PM
If it helps, it has loosened my curl pattern. I had a lot of regorwth and I sorted it out with a head full of henna, that was about a year or two ago.

I'm going to attempt to do it later on this month

eyekandy22
08-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanx for the move Dividir! I've heard from others about henna helping to stretch relaxers and loosen curls- when I was relaxed it helped make my hair stronger, but the new growth had the same curl to it. I'm using it more as a way to control tangles hopefully, because I don't like combing my hair.

ysm
08-08-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm using it as a conditioner and as a way to stop using permanent color. There may be a loosening of the curl pattern but only after I first do the rinse, while my hair is still wet.

eyekandy22
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I've been using henna regularly for about 2 months, hennaing every 2-3 weeks, my curl pattern is still in full effect, but my hair is a lot easier to detangle. I think because it thickens and strengthens the strands, I have less snapping and tangling. But I have been keeping my mix simple, henna, water, some essential oils, and it has been a bit drying on my hair so I'm cutting back for now. I want to get my hair braided anyway. I would have loved it if henna made it possible for me to do wash and gos- like if it could turn my 4B frizzy hair into 4B tight coils, but it doesn't have that kind of strength.

leentora
11-29-2010, 08:51 PM
I've been using henna regularly for about 2 months, hennaing every 2-3 weeks, my curl pattern is still in full effect, but my hair is a lot easier to detangle. I think because it thickens and strengthens the strands, I have less snapping and tangling. But I have been keeping my mix simple, henna, water, some essential oils, and it has been a bit drying on my hair so I'm cutting back for now. I want to get my hair braided anyway.

I am maybe wrong but I used a different henna and it seem to give me a loosen effect, but this one I am using now does not give that it effect at all. It seems to be more texture defining. Also as you mentioned it sure does strengthens, thickens (I am not in need of - have to use a lot more moisturizing conditioner to detangle and soften afterwards). And love the gradual build up of colour :) awesome.

I would have loved it if henna made it possible for me to do wash and gos- like if it could turn my 4B frizzy hair into 4B tight coils, but it doesn't have that kind of strength.

If you want the tight coils effect then try AMLA powder, amla tends to define coil patterns, it is know to make the coil more curl, coily, clump.

hanna_light
11-29-2010, 09:02 PM
My hair tangles like crazy it looks like I need to jump on the henna bandwagon.

kyounge1956
11-30-2010, 12:18 AM
I am maybe wrong but I used a different henna and it seem to give me a loosen effect, but this one I am using now does not give that it effect at all. It seems to be more texture defining. Also as you mentioned it sure does strengthens, thickens (I am not in need of - have to use a lot more moisturizing conditioner to detangle and soften afterwards). And love the gradual build up of colour :) awesome.

If you want the tight coils effect then try AMLA powder, amla tends to define coil patterns, it is know to make the coil more curl, coily, clump.

What is AMLA powder?

leentora
11-30-2010, 07:43 AM
What is AMLA powder?

Amla Powder is a natural astringent and skin toner that works on both hair and skin. In botanical terms it is known as Emblic Myrobalan. The paste of this powder helps promote black and luxuriant hair. Even as it controls hair loss, it stimulates roots and promotes hair growth. This apart, it prevents scalp infection and controls premature greying of hair. When used on skin, the paste of this powder brightens the complexion and removes pimples and grime.

Briefly, 'Hesh Amla Powder' has the following advantages:

- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair loss
- Cures scalp infection
- Controls greying of hair
- Removes pimple and grime

Let me know if you need any further info, hope the above helps some.

HealthyLocs
11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
For those that use henna to strengthen your hair, do you still give yourself protein treatments?

leentora
11-30-2010, 04:22 PM
For those that use henna to strengthen your hair, do you still give yourself protein treatments?

I rarely do, the only time I will do a protein treatment is if I have not done henna for a long time and I am too lazy to mix it and let it sit for the time required. In that case a protein treatment is quicker and easier. I find once I henna there is really no need for protein treatment and besides, I from time to time will throw an egg or two into my henna mix and that will bump it up a notch.

I have now learnt that when washing out any treatment with egg is use cold to luke warm water unless you would like some scramble 'egghair'.

HTH :).

Halibel
12-01-2010, 01:26 AM
It loosened my nape a lot.....but then after I couple wash weeks it went back to normal.

But I would say it made the rest of my hair more defined.

ac22ford
12-01-2010, 05:13 AM
^^^^^ I have the exact same experience with henna.

PrincessRN
12-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Amla Powder is a natural astringent and skin toner that works on both hair and skin. In botanical terms it is known as Emblic Myrobalan. The paste of this powder helps promote black and luxuriant hair. Even as it controls hair loss, it stimulates roots and promotes hair growth. This apart, it prevents scalp infection and controls premature greying of hair. When used on skin, the paste of this powder brightens the complexion and removes pimples and grime.

Briefly, 'Hesh Amla Powder' has the following advantages:

- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair loss
- Cures scalp infection
- Controls greying of hair
- Removes pimple and grime

Let me know if you need any further info, hope the above helps some.

Thanks Leen, I was always curious about AMLA. I am definitely interested but have not been brave enough to jump into the ayurvedic world yet, lol.

leentora
12-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks Leen, I was always curious about AMLA. I am definitely interested but have not been brave enough to jump into the ayurvedic world yet, lol.

:) Your welcome deary, Amla is my favourite of all the ayurvedic powders, love it I always have some in my rotation, never out of it.

eyekandy22
12-02-2010, 07:34 PM
:) Your welcome deary, Amla is my favourite of all the ayurvedic powders, love it I always have some in my rotation, never out of it.

I bought a big bag of amla powder, like 1 lb, for $3. I used it on my new growth in the past, and it became extra curly. I've been scared of using it in my hair since then. It is a slow process using up a bag of amla on my face though, I love it as a face mask mixed with other powders (bentonite clay, neem). Maybe it will have more of a "defining" effect on my curls now that I'm natural- I'll try it sometime.

When I was relaxed, I needed to do my protein treatments and henna, but as a natural, henna strengthened my hair very well when I used it every 2 weeks, if you don't use it regularly though, you still need a mild protein I believe.

leentora
12-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I bought a big bag of amla powder, like 1 lb, for $3. I used it on my new growth in the past, and it became extra curly. I've been scared of using it in my hair since then. It is a slow process using up a bag of amla on my face though, I love it as a face mask mixed with other powders (bentonite clay, neem). Maybe it will have more of a "defining" effect on my curls now that I'm natural- I'll try it sometime.

When I was relaxed, I needed to do my protein treatments and henna, but as a natural, henna strengthened my hair very well when I used it every 2 weeks, if you don't use it regularly though, you still need a mild protein I believe.

:eek: OK that is it, I want some, THAT IS A BARGAIN. I have not found amla selling like that here, my goodness, I wonder how much it is to ship 3 lbs of that here? Do they have a website? Do you want some CON as trade for some bag amla? :p:D

I am texlaxed with a lot of texture left behind, so maybe why I don't find the need in my hair to do both. I don't get any ill effects from going a long time not doing a protein treatment the powders seems to get it all covered and give really good results.

eyekandy22
12-02-2010, 07:53 PM
A picture of exactly what I have is below :) Except I bought it at my local Indian store for $3 in the food aisle, probably why it was so cheap. In the beauty aisle, it's $2 for a 4oz box. This site online sells it for $9. ( Extra Large Pure Amla Powder, USA Wholesaler For Herbs & Spices, Herbal Hair Oil, Dabur Amla Dabur Shikakai, Ramtirth Brahmi Hair Oil, Shampoo With Amla Shikakai Reetha Soap Nuts Mehandi Henna Mehandi Mehndi Bridal Dulhan Mehandi Cones & Powder, Henn (http://www.hennausa.com/extra_large_14oz_pure_amla_powder.php)Price: $8.99, 5.77 GBP 9.08 CAD 6.83 EUR)

Of course my PJ butt bought 2 bags at the time, still have 1 and a half bags to use up. I remember amla is a bit drying on hair, cannot leave it overnite or anything, more like a paste or tea rinse ayurvedic ingredient on preoiled hair. I wish I could trade some with you Leentora for the CON tho- shipping prices will balance out any savings tho :p

leentora
12-02-2010, 08:29 PM
A picture of exactly what I have is below :) Except I bought it at my local Indian store for $3 in the food aisle, probably why it was so cheap. In the beauty aisle, it's $2 for a 4oz box. This site online sells it for $9. ( Extra Large Pure Amla Powder, USA Wholesaler For Herbs & Spices, Herbal Hair Oil, Dabur Amla Dabur Shikakai, Ramtirth Brahmi Hair Oil, Shampoo With Amla Shikakai Reetha Soap Nuts Mehandi Henna Mehandi Mehndi Bridal Dulhan Mehandi Cones & Powder, Henn (http://www.hennausa.com/extra_large_14oz_pure_amla_powder.php)Price: $8.99, 5.77 GBP 9.08 CAD 6.83 EUR)

Of course my PJ butt bought 2 bags at the time, still have 1 and a half bags to use up. I remember amla is a bit drying on hair, cannot leave it overnite or anything, more like a paste or tea rinse ayurvedic ingredient on preoiled hair. I wish I could trade some with you Leentora for the CON tho- shipping prices will balance out any savings tho :p

:eek: My goodness, wowa, all I have managed to find so far is the 100g in the box. I love amla soooooooo much lol I can find henna in 1kg and cassia 1kg but no amla. I will email the natural store online I order from and ask if they are supply amla.

I know shipping is a beast, is can eat up all the savings at times. Hey worth a try I will let you know If I managed to get me a bag load amla :).

Amla mix only need to stay on for an hour or two, its effect kicks in a lot quicker than henna. I sometimes remember to pre-oil then apply, if I don't them I have to use a alot of cheap conditioner to co-wash and or do an oil rinse and DC and I am good to go.
The results have never failed me, it is just an awesome powder. I want to buy loads as I will be using it more than Henna and have henna as my special treatment once a month or or so.

ysm
12-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I use henna once/month and love it!!! My hair is softer and easier to detangle w/lovely red highlites. I have amla oil of which I've started a mixing Tblsp w/my henna. Is there a difference between the amla oil and powder?

I do a steam DC w/conditioner and oils to counter the dryness. My hair seems to really like it!

leentora
12-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I use henna once/month and love it!!! My hair is softer and easier to detangle w/lovely red highlites. I have amla oil of which I've started a mixing Tblsp w/my henna. Is there a difference between the amla oil and powder?

I do a steam DC w/conditioner and oils to counter the dryness. My hair seems to really like it!

YES, as the amla oil I have well one of them contains mineral oil as much as it is good and it does give my hair blast. It is nothing compare to using the straight up powder, the powder is more concentrated, similar results as if you used henna difference is amla will darken your hair colour with consistent use.

That is why some mix henna with amla so the colour is not too vibrate, if that is not what they want.

eyekandy22
04-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I had only hennaed once in the past 3-4 months so I don't think it was the henna, I think it has to do with my hair growing longer, but my curl pattern has definitely changed. Before I was just 4B frizz, afro puff, hair, now there are noticeable tendrils and curls at the end. I am still 4B right now- maybe as it grows longer that might change- but my hair has the ability to do wash and gos in the future the way things are looking.

I just did a henna treatment today- but I was only able to keep it in for 4 hours- all the sleep I got. I think I'll be repeating it again on Sunday- sleep for 8 hrs. I'll leave the twists in my hair this time, and see if it is much more difficult to rinse out. I hope not :( I haven't done henna twice in a week, but it should be cool. I have a henna obsession at the moment- don't know why. I think whenever my hair feels too soft, I think it needs some strengthening, and mild color.

Halibel
04-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I haven't hennaed in forever.....just made a batch to use tomorrow. :)

TressBuzz
04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
It definitely thickens hair so if it can do that it certainly could have some effect on lengthening the curl pattern.

eyekandy22
04-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I'm still on a henna kick- but maybe I shouldn't get into weekly treatments until my hair is exposed. Right now it's covered up anyway. So I'm gonna aim for every 2 weeks, and use other Ayurvedic powders more frequently. It's just difficult to plan around using henna every week.

eyekandy22
07-24-2011, 04:46 PM
So I stuck to using henna every 10 days-2 weeks. It definitely ended up loosening my curls in a strange way, giving it a mildly blowdried look. I stuck with DCing my hair weekly with my cheapie cholesterols, and got lots of dryness and breakage. I think if I DCed with some good DC maybe twice a week my hair could have handled it. It really made detangling so easy, and I retained length without any knotting etc, until hair just started breaking. And after only 5 weeks of not doing henna, my hair had completely reverted back to super curly. So the results are quite temporary. I dunno- I still love henna, but now it's a once in a while thing again, not the savior to my detangling days. I'm going to try heat training reluctantly, that could definitely lead to dryness I'm sure, but detangling shouldn't take a whole hour like it has been.

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
05-04-2012, 08:14 PM
just applied henna for the first time. hope this turns out good

FreeSpirit2219
05-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't know why, but I'm not one of the lucky ones. I stopped henna because it dries my hair out...even with oils.

mskyra
05-17-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm going to try this one day. My curls are in 2 different patterns in my head. The whole back of my head is like 3a then the top is a lot tighter...

eyekandy22
05-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Hmmm- now that I've decided to be natural again (the heat training and texturizing went bust) I may go back to the henna to loosen curls, except I'll also use cassia in between to reduce drying effect hopefully. I also have better deep conditioners I will use afterwards, see if that makes a difference. Henna breakage wasn't as bad as chemical damage or heat damage for sure.

advanskin
05-26-2012, 06:53 AM
I have not applied henna. But I want to try it once.

luxuryhair
05-31-2012, 12:20 AM
it did slightly loosen my pattern but that my be because i henna every week

mehnajkalra
10-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Henna are using for colouring & shining for hair but there are no way to losing curl from hair with henna............

ch1
11-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I have used henna every 2 weeks and it DOES loosen my tightly curled 4b hair -it was my hairline at the back where I noticed this first. I guess its temporary but hey its good for our hair.

I did have problems with dryness, I now realise from researching online that although lemon juice is good for the henna to release its colour it can be drying so I've switched to using apple juice & honey in my henna mix. I also add olive oil and Amla powder to the henna so that my grey hairs get a warm red rather than bright orange hue! I have also ued Paprika to great effect.
Folowed by a conditioner I now have soft, shiny less tangled hair.

darkvalkyrie123
11-18-2012, 12:52 PM
This is just theory based on what I have read online about henna and what others have said about it, but I think it might be due to the added weight of the henna deposits on the hair that causes curls to loosen, so it may not be very noticeable with shorter hair but the longer the hair gets the heavier it becomes, and curls are more elongated... so the henna is probably just intensifying this effect.