View Full Version : How often should you get a relaxer

hayden.mp3
08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
My edges and nape area broke off really bad from relaxers and I'm keeping it braided the whole summer and it's slowly growing back in.

My hair is very thick, but it was uneven so m stylist cut it shorter so now I'm trying to grow it long and thick.. I'm scared to get another relaxer because all this hard work and time i'm putting in this summer to make my hair healthier will go to waste.

Can you have thick relaxed healthy hair? Relaxers thin your hair right?

jusstoya
08-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Yes, it's possible to have long, thick healthy relaxed hair. (Look at some of the relaxed heads on this board, they have beautiful hair.)

I shared in your other post my nape area use to be damaged like yours too. (from over-processing) I now stretch at-least 12 weeks. When I get my hair relaxed I tell her to start in the middle first. (That's the most resistant area of my hair, and the back and front process much faster so no need to start there)

As long as you keep taking care of your hair properly (braided, or relaxed) there's no reason why all your hard work should go to waste.

SHIRO
08-03-2010, 01:14 AM
You could also try texlaxing.Look at Leen's hair for example,it's so thick and healthy.however,just like Toya said above,care is a must,and dont apply relaxer to the nape first,it'll get overprocessed.Let it be the last section.

Jenka
08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
hey there. what kind of perm do you use? my hair used to take a lot of damage from very harsh relaxers like motions and creme of nature, but when i changed to a different, milder relaxer i have nominal problems with breakage. also, be sure that your hairdresser only relaxes the new growth, relaxer should never be put onto previously relaxed hair because that leads to major damage. hope that helps :)

angel_hair
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I say four times a year....

Doing so should give you healthy strong hair.

Dividir
08-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I say four times a year....

Doing so should give you healthy strong hair.

This is what I am aiming to do, but I cant even remember how many times I have done it this yer... well if I aim for 4/5 it wont be that bad, If I manage to keep to a strict 4 that would be cool.

But this is seeing as this year I am not having my own hair out... if I continue this trend, I may try and cut to 3 and then 2... but I am no where near wanting none... in fact what am I saying? 4 a year is good with me.

Average should be about 4-6 a year

buckeyeinminn
08-14-2010, 08:23 PM
You can have healthy, relaxed hair (I'm still working on it right now)
I try to stretch 8 weeks between relaxers. My last stretch I think was about 12 weeks (I got lazy and didn't feel like doing my hair)

buckeyeinminn
08-14-2010, 08:24 PM
hey there. what kind of perm do you use? my hair used to take a lot of damage from very harsh relaxers like motions and creme of nature, but when i changed to a different, milder relaxer i have nominal problems with breakage. also, be sure that your hairdresser only relaxes the new growth, relaxer should never be put onto previously relaxed hair because that leads to major damage. hope that helps :)

What relaxer do you use on your hair now?

Jenka
08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
hey buck. i use gentle treatment regular strength. before i used fabulaxer, but i had trouble finding it in the stores near my house. i like gentle treatment a lot though.

buckeyeinminn
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
hey buck. i use gentle treatment regular strength. before i used fabulaxer, but i had trouble finding it in the stores near my house. i like gentle treatment a lot though.

Oh ok. Your hair looks really good.

Bigmommah
08-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I used to relax every 6 weeks. Then I began stretching to 8 weeks. I am currently trying to stretch for 22 weeks in order to "reset" my stretch calendar. My goal will be to relax in Jan, April, July & Oct. I am also going to switch from a no-lye relaxer to one containing lye. I'll update my Avatar to show that my hair is fairly thick even texlaxed.

angel_hair
08-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Hold out as long as possible! I may have commented before but hey it never hurts to do it again. Hold out.

rpg1908
08-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I say anywhere from 2-4 times a year. I usually stretch for six months but I also listen to my hair. I had to relax recently because my hair was super thick but it was also shedding like crazy. So this year I'll relax 3 times but definitely no more than 4.

StL Princess
08-25-2010, 03:28 AM
when i used to relax i used at one herbal relaxer and i relaxed every 12 weeks with no problems and mininal regrowth, my hair was long and thick 15 weeks was a strech for me

Dividir
08-25-2010, 10:17 AM
I usually try to do it between 12-18 weeks. It depends on my styling options at the time.

Right now I am trying to wig it up, so I'll be trying to stretch for a while over the next year. But if my hair becomes to difficult for me to braid, I will take it to a minimum of 12 weeks. Only because I know I wont be applying much heat to my hair

Dividir
08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
lol, I already commented. If you do decide to self relax at any point, make sure you do your nape and edges last.... hmmm, I am thinking about doing a picture tut of how I relax my hair, next time I relax my hair (which may be in December, so don't hold your breath!!!

Siberia_McLean
09-09-2010, 11:13 PM
I used to go 6 weeks, but I'm a poor college student and I got a car this spring so I went to 8 weeks. My hair dresser thinks that there's something wrong with my hair (She had me go to the doctor go get thyroid testing. they don't believe that anything is wrong. I don't think she agrees).

But the last two times I changed hair dressers my hair was really jacked. Then after a few months it started growing. And then it stops, and goes back to the way it was. I told them that I have probelms with perms. But they convinced me to get one. I personally think that I was getting them too close together. Just because I had packed roots doesn't mean that I need a perm. Last time my hair was damaged by a perm my grandma go it to where it was healthy. But she's older now and she can't do it for me anymore. It would take her at least 3 hours, and the next day it was as straight as the day before.

So I have to go to the salon. I decided that I'm going to lay off perms until the summer. But I may get one in Feb because I'm going to a ball. But anyway I'm just going to get it pressed and see how that works out, cause it worked last time. Sorry for my rant...

Bellez
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new :)

Anyway, in regards to the topic, I honestly believe you have to know you hair. I usually perm my hair about 2-4 times a year. This year, I waited from the end of May until Sept 16 to perm my hair (I know that's a bit of a stretch lol) but I wanted to wait until summer was over.

It depends on the needs of your hair... is your hair/scalp very sensitive to perm? Do you find you hair breaks off more or less the longer you wait? For me, I find my hair to pretty durable and I can wait a long time with minimal breakage...

Elusive
11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
The more often you retouch the new growth the worse it is for your hair because of the chemicals.The longer you stretch it out,the better it will be for your hair.Then again,stretching your hair for TOO long can break your hair.Talk about catch 22:(

Meira
11-14-2010, 02:02 PM
hmm.. yeah I guess I get relaxers (or did) about 3 or 4 times a year. Seeing I got them around 3 or 4 months apart. I'm not sure what strength it was, all I know is it was Mizani.

eyekandy22
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
I never understood how people relaxed their hair only 2 times a year. I have 4b fine hair, there's no way I could have lasted that long, my hair would just snap all over the place. I learned for my hair there was such a thing as stretching too long, no matter what treatment or how gentle I was with my hair, after 12 weeks, I would get breakage at the line of demarcation. I think technique and strength of relaxer are most important. You could relax once a year and do everything wrong, or 8 times a year and do it properly. Using Super relaxers just to get my hair straight (lye regular didn't work) is what ruined my hair- even tho I relaxed 4X a year and protected the previously relaxed hair. It was a blessing in disguise tho- now I relax 0 times a year, one less obstacle to longer hair for me :) This isn't a "Go natural" endorsement tho- just sayin.

beebellkel
12-07-2010, 12:59 PM
The more often you retouch the new growth the worse it is for your hair because of the chemicals.The longer you stretch it out,the better it will be for your hair.Then again,stretching your hair for TOO long can break your hair.Talk about catch 22:(

It can break indeed but the KEY is learning how to stretch. One cant just say oo i wanna stretch and thats it..you have to make sure you are handling it correctly, paying close attention and not messing with it too often hiding it...well I can only speak from my experience...I stretched for 4 months on 2 occassions and I loved the results. i am not sure if ill do 4 months again ill probably alternate between 3 and 4 months. If one stretch the proper way r it is aloooooot of work but the results are really worth it and this is coming from a person who relaxed every 6 weeks(lack off knowledge) I will never do that again I wouldnt even do 8 weeks.lol

JLicious
12-07-2010, 02:24 PM
If you're going to stretch for several months you really have to take very good care of your hair with conditioning, and keeping it moisturized daily. It would be best not to use any heat or minimal heat and wear protective styles during this period. I really don't see someone flat ironing their hair, using that heat while stretching and not have significant damage.

Of course, stylists want you to come as often as possible. When your hair starts breaking off they'll be able to charge more when you need extra treatments and trims for the damage. I don't think all stylists do this on purpose, but this is what ends up happening. So, I think people should try to wait at least 8 weeks for a touch up, that's not hard to do. You just can't be lazy, wear a scarf every night etc.

demey83
12-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks for this idea...I never thought about starting from a different area of my head. It actually makes perfect sense given that the middle of my head is usually the thickest. I'm trying to grow longer, healthier hair but I do not have the time to maintain natural hair. I actually like my hair straight but I'm determine to have healthy hair. So I'm decreasing the amount of perms I get a year to 4. I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks :-)

Tinkerbell
12-21-2010, 11:16 AM
I have learn how to manage my hair and only relaxed 4 times this year. it was not easy just for vanity sake but i did it

saraesa
12-21-2010, 07:04 PM
You should relax as often as you would like. Personally I relax every 2.5-3 months because I forget when the last relaxer was. I used to to relax every like 6 weeks and had apl length hair but then again i used heat like twice a week and cut my ends alot. I think I might just start relaxing whenever detangling gets to be a pain. So like 7-9 weeks.
There's no point stretching relaxers to avoid damage if stretching causes breakage

rene9
09-13-2011, 07:21 PM
I would say it depends on your hair texture...I can relax every 12 weeks, but my daughter's thick hair needs one every 8 weeks max!

nikasut
11-20-2011, 02:01 PM
I would say 8 weeks, not necessarily stretching but not necessarily relaxing too quick either

PrincessRN
11-20-2011, 03:02 PM
In the past I used to relax every 6 weeks. That is really too much. Now that I have come full circle in my HHJ, (transitioned, stayed natural for 1 year, and now relaxed again) I have learned better methods of taking care of my hair and can go a lot longer in between touch-ups. Right now I stretch for a minimum of 12 weeks and I would like to work my way up to 16 weeks. My hair is much healthier now by stretching.

nikasut
11-20-2011, 03:51 PM
In the past I used to relax every 6 weeks. That is really too much. Now that I have come full circle in my HHJ, (transitioned, stayed natural for 1 year, and now relaxed again) I have learned better methods of taking care of my hair and can go a lot longer in between touch-ups. Right now I stretch for a minimum of 12 weeks and I would like to work my way up to 16 weeks. My hair is much healthier now by stretching.

I feel you, I'm 14 weeks now gonna go up to 27...last time i did 22 :D not bad for someone who just started stretching