View Full Version : Spirulina capsules for growth....you'll like this

Mahogany
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey girls,

I want to share my latest discovering. I first heard about spirulina watching a network channel on China.

Spirulina is a food, not a vitamin, that you can eat or take as a pill or capsule. Chinese eat this for health and wellness, etc. You MUST google this stuff, it is loaded with PROTEIN and other great stuff for your body.

Because our hair is composed of protein, if your body is loaded with protein, it only ups our chances of optimum hair growth and health....Spirulina is a great source of protein and other vitamins and minerals. It is easy and cheap too, about 10 bucks a month supply.

You can get it at any health food and supplements store...

I am doing it.....

leentora
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I will research and see, but I know that too much protein intake is not good, I mean alike anything else is not too good.

My grandmother had a friend that had a protein sickness because he had too much too protein in his body mmmmm can not remember what it was called and he had to make an extra effort to try and lower or avoid protein foods.

I will see if she remember what it was called.

Thanks for the info though I will research and give you my final thoughts lol

denalove
08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
thanks for the info. I Too will research, but please keep us posted.

Dividir
08-05-2008, 12:23 AM
I will research and see, but I know that too much protein intake is not good, I mean alike anything else is not too good.

My grandmother had a friend that had a protein sickness because he had too much too protein in his body mmmmm can not remember what it was called and he had to make an extra effort to try and lower or avoid protein foods.

I will see if she remember what it was called.

Thanks for the info though I will research and give you my final thoughts lol

Was it too much RNA in the body? Gout maybe?

Still Ill google it when Im not supposed to be gettign tready for work!

CREODiiVA
08-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Hey girls,

I want to share my latest discovering. I first heard about spirulina watching a network channel on China.

Spirulina is a food, not a vitamin, that you can eat or take as a pill or capsule. Chinese eat this for health and wellness, etc. You MUST google this stuff, it is loaded with PROTEIN and other great stuff for your body.

Because our hair is composed of protein, if your body is loaded with protein, it only ups our chances of optimum hair growth and health....Spirulina is a great source of protein and other vitamins and minerals. It is easy and cheap too, about 10 bucks a month supply.

I am doing it.....

YAYYYYY I Love Chinese Food ..I Mean all Of it There is nothing I Wont eat lol

vidgrl007
08-15-2008, 12:56 PM
i will have to pick some up.my hair seemes to have stalled at my shoulders.I guess it could be worse it could all fall out like in my dream the other night lol.

leentora
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Now that you say it Dividir, I tihnk it was Gout you know.....,

I am gonna google it now.

CherriPepsi
08-15-2008, 10:33 PM
That's too risky for me to try at the moment. I might try soy protein if anything though

The Anti Hair Slave
08-18-2008, 08:16 PM
waiting to see what happens with you and this supplement. I'm kinda anti pills but I like seeing how they work for others. Good luck

Emerald
09-01-2008, 03:59 AM
I hear MSM is good for hair growth too,.

CherriPepsi
09-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I'll stick to prenatals.

vidgrl007
09-02-2008, 06:50 AM
I hear MSM is good for hair growth too,.

msm is very good for thickness.I take 4 a day and it helps with my thickness and my sheading.it is also good for the old joints:D.

I still havent purchased spuririla(sp).i do want to do the expierment but im trying to get rid of some of the other stuff i take first lol.

Vermelha
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
My shampoo has spirulina in it. My hair is so much thicker and stronger.

k-butterflyy
09-04-2008, 10:29 PM
My shampoo has spirulina in it. My hair is so much thicker and stronger.

what type of shampoo do u use?

Ashfast
09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
wow thanks Ill check it out. I love new stuff

Vermelha
09-05-2008, 05:52 PM

I don't think Gout has anything to do with Spirulina. Too much High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sucrose, and high amounts of high protein, fatty meat can cause Gout.

Spirulina has protein, like beans and other protein-rich veggies and legumes, but it wont give you Gout if you have it in your shampoo or eat it on the regular basis. You still need proteins to live. This is still good for you. No caution here. This is one of the healthiest things to incorporate in your diet.

Look it Up!
Gout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout)

Vermelha
09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
what type of shampoo do u use?

J/A/S/O/N 84% Aloe Vera Shampoo

it's organic and it has spirulina, which strengthens my hair. no sulfates, no parabens, and not animal tested. awesomeness!

leentora
09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
msm is very good for thickness.I take 4 a day and it helps with my thickness and my sheading.it is also good for the old joints:D.

I still havent purchased spuririla(sp).i do want to do the expierment but im trying to get rid of some of the other stuff i take first lol.

It only work well with some ppl as I was on another hair site lurking and came across a whole thread on it and virtually 70% of women was complaining about side effects especially weird dreams that seems as if they were awake and happeing for real, I read it's good but when I read about these women experiences, I have weird dreams already don't need anything to be adding to it :D

For thickness - Castor can do the trick

Shredding is a normal phase that the hair MUST go through, but if the individual want to slow it down then garlic (pills, shampoos, garlic itself) can be incorporated.

Candace3
09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I discovered Spirulina a little over a month ago and have fallen in love with it. I have not experienced any side effects at all. I bought the capsules at The Vitamin Shoppe for $10 and after a week of taking them I remembered I hate taking pills. So I got a great idea from this blog of which always has great info Relaxed Hair Health (http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/), to mix it in a smoothie. So I went to Walmart and bought a personal blender for $15 (greatest invention ever! lol) and just emptied the capsules into the blender along with my favorite fruits, a little limeade or pomegranate juice and ice. I did this every morning and would drink it on my way to work! It took a little getting used to the dark green color but the taste wasn't bad at all (the fruits help tremendously). I have since stopped taking my other supplements for my precious Spirulina. This is something I will keep taking not just for my hair but for my overall well being.

I have to say that I feel absolutely great. I have lots of energy that lasts all day and I just feel a lot healthier physically and mentally. Not to mention my new growth is off the chain. :p It is so strong and supple and a lot thicker.

Now, not to give all the credit to Spirulina as if it were some miracle supplement. But it is just that....a SUPPLEMENT. I have changed my diet to incorporate less fat and sugar and I exercise everyday. I also drink lots and lots of water.
As always results will vary so everyone won't be as enthusiastic about it as I am but I love it and it works for me. It's worth a try.:)
Sorry, a little longwinded.

vidgrl007
09-09-2008, 06:53 AM
It only work well with some ppl as I was on another hair site lurking and came across a whole thread on it and virtually 70% of women was complaining about side effects especially weird dreams that seems as if they were awake and happeing for real, I read it's good but when I read about these women experiences, I have weird dreams already don't need anything to be adding to it :D

For thickness - Castor can do the trick

Shredding is a normal phase that the hair MUST go through, but if the individual want to slow it down then garlic (pills, shampoos, garlic itself) can be incorporated.

im glad it didnt give me weird dreams lol.I've tried lichen(sp) and it gave me weird dreams.

Dividir
09-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I've just hit a really lazy spot. Im just going to stick to normal multivits and my hair nails and skin tablets....

Is it weired that I am really fed up?

Every1 seems to be having wonderful growth... and mine looks healthier.. no length, just less limp. I guess I should be grateful but I need a lil growth as encoragement

vidgrl007
09-10-2008, 12:14 PM
dividir,you probably just hit a slow time where your hair seems to not grow.dont give up,I know its so frustrating when it seems everyones hair grows but yours.you will get over the hump just give it time(((hugs for growth encouragement)));).

leentora
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
That is true as hair has 3 stages in the life of our hair;

Catagen
Telogen
Anagen

to get more in depth on each stage see my blog it explains each stage the growth stage, rest stage and the shedding stage and how long each stage last for.

GinaLondon2004
09-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Does it have any side effects? I'm a bit tempted but scared at the same time

Candace3
09-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Gina,
Spirulina is completely natural. If you start out taking small dosages and over a period of time gradually increase to the recommended dose you shouldn't have any problems. I only take three 450mg pills a day even though the directions say take 3 pills 3 times a day. I am only taking what I feel comfortable with for now. Like I mentioned in my previous post I have been taking it for a while now with no side effects or problems. There is plenty of info on the web about it, and I don't put anything in my body that I haven't thoroughly researched first. I would suggest you find out some more official info about it and decide if it's the right thing for you. Don't try it because it works for someone else though. That can really go for anything. Here is a website that I thought had some good info:

nutritional-supplements-health-guide.com/spirulina-side-effects.html

"HHG"
(Happy Hair Growing)

Dividir
09-13-2008, 03:16 AM
dividir,you probably just hit a slow time where your hair seems to not grow.dont give up,I know its so frustrating when it seems everyones hair grows but yours.you will get over the hump just give it time(((hugs for growth encouragement)));).

THanks for the encouragment, overly need it!

Im due a length review... SO I will be taking pictures soon, and comparing them in my fotki!.. Hopefully there will be a difference

Spirulina is completely natural.....

Please ladies, let us not get confused with natural and safe to use... natural can be bad... magic mushrooms = natural.... Marujana = natural (excuse my spelling, ya'll know what I really wanted to type) even Cocaine comes from a natural source.

Because it is natural, does not mean it cant cause you harm. LEts be very careful with our bodies...

vidgrl007
09-13-2008, 07:30 AM
THanks for the encouragment, overly need it!

Im due a length review... SO I will be taking pictures soon, and comparing them in my fotki!.. Hopefully there will be a difference

Please ladies, let us not get confused with natural and safe to use... natural can be bad... magic mushrooms = natural.... Marujana = natural (excuse my spelling, ya'll know what I really wanted to type) even Cocaine comes from a natural source.

Because it is natural, does not mean it cant cause you harm. LEts be very careful with our bodies...

I cant wait to see i'm sure your hair is beautiful:).

I was going to say that but you beat me to it.lol

candace, its good you did your reasearch,ty for the link.

inspired mommy
09-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Dividir,
I'm a newbie here and know how you feel. I see pics from fotkis of people who have sooo much new growth in just a matter of weeks and I wonder why my hair doesn't grow that fast. However, I try to stay positive and hope for the best. :-)

Candace3
09-14-2008, 12:15 PM

:rolleyes: I apologize if I gave the impression that ALL natural products are good for you. We should all know that there are natural products that you should stay away from. Heck, water is bad for you if you drink too much of it (called water intoxication and hyponatremia).

I am only speaking on this particular product that has been used, studied and tested for hundreds and hundreds of years and is sold as a dietary supplement (not an illegal drug) at major health, wellness and nutrition stores. It's not some obscure, alien lifeform....it's algae! It's also been shown to correct anemia (which I have) in malnourished children and is the key driver in the United Nations World Health Organization's (aka, WHO) fight against malnutrition all over the world. NASA is even backing the supplement as the primary food source for long space trips.

So again, I'm not saying it is for everyone! It is loaded with protein, vitamins and minerals, which can be detrimental to kidney and liver function in high doses. It is not for those with problems in those areas. Also if you are Phenylketonuric (you would know if you were, as it is inherited) you should not take it as it contains Phenylalanine (an amino acid found in nearly all food that contain protein). If you are fearful of what it might do, DONT TAKE IT. At the risk of sounding like one of those prescription drug commercials (which I hate), I would say talk to a doctor before taking any supplement you are unsure of.

As for me, I will take it for the rest of my life.

p.s. Say NO to drugs!:mad:

Lol:D

vidgrl007
09-15-2008, 09:08 AM
:rolleyes: I apologize if I gave the impression that ALL natural products are good for you. We should all know that there are natural products that you should stay away from. Heck, water is bad for you if you drink too much of it (called water intoxication and hyponatremia).

I am only speaking on this particular product that has been used, studied and tested for hundreds and hundreds of years and is sold as a dietary supplement (not an illegal drug) at major health, wellness and nutrition stores. It's not some obscure, alien lifeform....it's algae! It's also been shown to correct anemia (which I have) in malnourished children and is the key driver in the United Nations World Health Organization's (aka, WHO) fight against malnutrition all over the world. NASA is even backing the supplement as the primary food source for long space trips.

So again, I'm not saying it is for everyone! It is loaded with protein, vitamins and minerals, which can be detrimental to kidney and liver function in high doses. It is not for those with problems in those areas. Also if you are Phenylketonuric (you would know if you were, as it is inherited) you should not take it as it contains Phenylalanine (an amino acid found in nearly all food that contain protein). If you are fearful of what it might do, DONT TAKE IT. At the risk of sounding like one of those prescription drug commercials (which I hate), I would say talk to a doctor before taking any supplement you are unsure of.

As for me, I will take it for the rest of my life.

p.s. Say NO to drugs!:mad:

Lol:D

candace did it give you the weird dreams? the reason I ask is I tried taking leichen(sp) and had some of the most odd ball dreams.

Candace3
09-15-2008, 02:21 PM
No. Thankfully I haven't had any weird dreams whatsoever. The only dreams I've been having lately are about having butt length hair and winning the lottery. LOL (no lie)

vidgrl007
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
No. Thankfully I haven't had any weird dreams whatsoever. The only dreams I've been having lately are about having butt length hair and winning the lottery. LOL (no lie)

lol:D hopefully I wont have the odd dreams.I'm going to get me some this weekend and try it.

vidgrl007
09-19-2008, 10:53 AM
ok guys I got my spirula and boy howdy did it give me lots of energy:).

Candace3
09-19-2008, 02:12 PM
ok guys I got my spirula and boy howdy did it give me lots of energy:).

What form are you taking?

vidgrl007
09-20-2008, 06:50 AM
I am taking the rexall rapid release 750mg.

lovedbyhim
09-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I can't get down with eating stuff for hair growth, I would rather apply stuff

Candace3
09-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I can't get down with eating stuff for hair growth, I would rather apply stuff

IMO, all the vitamins and supplements that say they are particularly for hair growth aren't literally stepping in and making the hair grow, it's more likely that they are ensuring that all the tools and ingredients are present to help the body do what it naturally does. Hair grows regardless of what we do to it. Our individual composition determines how fast or slow, thick or thin and terminal length.
Spirulina is not for hair growth. It's basically for overall health and the benefit to hair is that it has a lot of protein in it. Hair fiber is comprised of 65% - 95% keratin proteins. I benefit from it's use because I don't normally comsume very many foods that contain proteins....or many of the other vitamins/minerals for that matter.
Hair roots and follicle cells buried well under the skin are working hard right now, drawing the necessary nutrients from the bloodstream to create each follicle of hair. We want to make sure those nutrients are present. So the end result is a newly formed piece of protein rich, "biologically dead", follicle of hair. The products we apply to that "biologically dead" hair are simply for: 1. Protection from the harsh elements we subject it to (just by going outside).
2. Flexibility, and 3. A healthy shiny glow.

That's just my opinion.:D

Here's another website I found informative: hair-science.com

vidgrl007
09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
candace,I have kinda a personal question about the spirula :)if you dont want to answer on the board please pm me.did you get gas the first week after you started taking it because omg at night i hope no one lights a match in my room because i'm so afraid im going to get plum blown out of my room if they do:D.:p

Candace3
09-23-2008, 05:28 PM
:D Lol...yes, I notice that I do if I don't eat anything with it.

vidgrl007
09-24-2008, 09:24 AM
lol.thanks :D.at least i know im not the only one:p

jaslenekissya
09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey girls,

I am doing it.....

Is that safe to take when you are pregnant

Candace3
09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I have heard mixed opinions on that subject and would definitely consult a pre-natal care physician about it before taking it.

keesh89
11-14-2008, 10:30 PM
thnx for the info i will be googlin this and maybe try it

Lively Jason
11-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Good nutritionals are good for hair. For me, marine amino acids work wonders

creolesugar
03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I have some leftover capsules (actually I have a lot) in a couple of bottles that I got from my naturopath doc

I'm glad I have a new use for them. They're smelly lol

dancerTJ
04-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Spirulina is a good source of protien, it also work for people who have gout and Arthritis (which is an auto-immune diseases and causes inflammation to the joints). When euric acids levels are high, spirulina is a protein that counters, by lowering the euric acids , which reduces inflammation, gout attacks and flair up in Arthritis. Spirulina is not just protein for the hair. Proceed with caution. Too much of a good thing, can be a bad thing.

Lively Jason
04-25-2009, 04:44 AM
I took that for over a year; no visible difference :(

srevans
05-14-2009, 01:04 PM
So have we heard the results? Did it appear to be working? What happened?

kibbles318
06-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I took Spirulina twice and both times later that night I was bending over the toilet. Never again. What has worked best for me was Fish Oil capsules. My hair and nails grew really fast. Haven't been taking them lately but I'm about to start again!