View Full Version : Can oils moisturize hair, if so which ones?

Naemamaz
07-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Can oils moisturize hair, if so which ones?

SHIRO
07-03-2010, 03:14 AM
From my experience,i'll say Yes,oils moisturise hair esp coconut and olive oil.I like comparing my hair to the leather on my shoes.Both are dead protein.If i moisturise the leather with water only,it soon dries out and becomes crisp and hard.This is xactly what happens when i moisturise my hair with even water based products.if i use some oil on the leather,it stays soft until all the oil has soaked into the leather.Guess thats why shoe polish is made up of wax, lanolin, fats and some solvents.Now water is a good hair moisturiser,but when taken internally not applied topically,though it works when applied topically to detangle and make esp natural hair easy to comb,but will dry out just as fast.Thats just in my opinion and xperience.

miZZPortah
07-03-2010, 06:29 AM
I remember reading this article that stated coconut oil was an oil that could penetrate the hair shaft and moisturize from the inside out. Needless to say this is my favorite oil!

AuNaturale85
07-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Castor oil is the best when it comes to moisture retention in my hair...i love water in my hair but like Shiro said....it makes my hair dry and crisp/brittle. I also have issues with dry, dull looking hair and the castor oil makes my hair look so healthy and shiny. LOVE THAT STUFF!!!!

ja10469
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Castor oil is best imo to help seal in moisture.

StL Princess
07-04-2010, 03:07 PM
i started transitioning about 2 months ago for the first month i used an oil based moisturiser was ok but still left the hair dry had 2 apply at least twice a day to get good results

2nd month switched to a water based moisturiser which dried out my new growth n made it curl while leaving my relaxed ends straight.

Bought castor oil yday and my hair loves it applied once last night and its looking like i wont have to apply for a few days hair feels silky has a shine to it. and my new growth is interacting nicely with my relaxed ends

naomimaxine927
07-04-2010, 03:30 PM
I like Castor Oil and Jamaican Black Castor Oil- the texture is not as thick as regualar CO, which is better for distribution, and it is purer-less processed.

A lot of people also like Coconut Oil, I have yet to try it, but I plan on it.

naomimaxine927
07-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I also like Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil, which is a brand oil that contains many carrier oils, pretty natural except for fragrance. I like it a lot.

Dividir
07-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Personally I don't think oil moisturises hair. I feel that the only thing that can really provide moisture is water. But Oils can seal moisture in, for this I do like coconut oil, as it does help keep my hair pliable

HairSoSoft
07-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I agree that Coconut oil does moisturize your hair. I use to as a pre poo and also as a daily moisturizer.

evanny
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Personally I don't think oil moisturises hair. I feel that the only thing that can really provide moisture is water. But Oils can seal moisture in, for this I do like coconut oil, as it does help keep my hair pliable

ITA 100% oils do not moisturize the hair. Only water based products.

babybooj
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Yea i use olive oil which is very good for your ends!!

Twine3
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I like coconut oil it really does give your hair a nice shine. But like some others have said I have to use a water based moisturizer with it to make my hair soft and shiny. With it alone my hair becomes shiny but dry.

azucarmoreno
07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
I love coconut oil for moisturizing and sealing. It softens the hair and it works great as a prepoo. No other oil works that well in softening hair and making it manageable. I like castor oil for my scalp it really help seal in moisture. On my hair I like coconut oil or lighter oil blends. I like EVOO for my prepoos mixed with conditioner...

MzKiKi
07-21-2010, 06:18 PM
I been using Hollywood beauty olive oil cream. And then I use some pure extra virgin olive oil. This has been working great for me! I'm hearing that soy oil is really good. I don't know yet. Has anyone tried soy oil??

StL Princess
07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
oil based and water based moisturiser r rubbish 4 my hair i made a 50/50 mix of castor n coconut oil for daytime and evoo for sealing in at night hair is still really really soft and silky and shiny no dryness i think my hair likes 2 be difficult when it comes to creams and lotions :(

azucarmoreno
07-23-2010, 08:52 AM
I been using Hollywood beauty olive oil cream. And then I use some pure extra virgin olive oil. This has been working great for me! I'm hearing that soy oil is really good. I don't know yet. Has anyone tried soy oil??

I have not tried soy oil, but I use Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream and their Carrot Cream too, and I love them!! They're really good to soften the hair right away.

Jenka
07-25-2010, 08:20 PM
oil based products irritate my scalp and break my hair so i had to take the water based product approach. in my experience water is the best moisturizer, but it has to be applied frequently especially to the ends of the hair because of how quickly it evaporates. i have heard from many others that a combination of water based products and oil is great to moisturize and then seal the moisture in. just be sure to stay with natural oils, mineral oil and petroleum are no good. HTH :)

kita
07-25-2010, 08:27 PM
I want to buy stock with a company that manufacture coconut oil. My hair is softer and manageable it has done wonders for my hair. My hair was tangled and hard to comb now it seems as if I found a cure. I am sold...

buckeyeinminn
07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
I have been using both coconut and JBCO and have had good results with each

MzKiKi
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey! Has anyone tried both coconut and olive oil to seal? Which is better? I love my extra virgin olive oil... but sounds like coconut oil is good too.

StL Princess
07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I put coconut and castor oil mix on at night concentrate on the roots and morning i put extra virgin olive oil on ends

Sharii16
08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Coconut Oil moisturizes and also helps your hair . You should also try Jojoba Oil too .

devyrokana
10-14-2010, 02:49 AM
olive oil :):):):):):)

evanny
10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey! Has anyone tried both coconut and olive oil to seal? Which is better? I love my extra virgin olive oil... but sounds like coconut oil is good too.

Coconut is a tad lighter than EVOO so if you want light hair I'd go with that. EVOO would be a good choice for the winter because it's heavier. Just my opinion.

MsUnique
09-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Castor Oil is great

PurplePeony
01-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I`ve always heard coconut oil was the only oil that moisturizes but lately I`ve read quite a few articles stating shea butter was a great moisturizer as well.

cospak
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
I am agree all of you.oil is the best moisturizer for hair.

sunshinegirl502
03-08-2013, 08:05 AM
I use coconut oil

d4dimples
03-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Hey Guys,

Please support my natural hair journey by watching my youtube video. Sub if you have YT and I will sub back.

Thank you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyr8ge3LIU

ch1
03-24-2013, 02:25 PM
coconut oil yes
but BEST for my natural 4 type coils argan oil on damp hair only - not much lasting moisture on dry hair IMO

EVOO before washing or at night with rosemary oil

sunshinegirl502
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I just purchased some Castor Oil last night and oiled my scalp with it. I will probably combine it with my coconut oil to wipe on my hair and ends. So far, so good. I'd like to find the Jamaican Black Castor Oil.

eyekandy22
03-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Oil on its own is not moisturizing for me, I prefer it as a sealant after I've used a water based moisturizer. Or better yet, I just mix an oil into my water/glycerin mixture, that works perfectly.

MikeAndreson
03-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Why do you not try almond herbal incense oil instead coconut oil. It has a good protein base than coconut and it help to grow hair faster than coconut oils. You can use almond oil as a moisturizer also.

Marmabell
03-31-2013, 01:57 PM
The oils that I've had the best luck with have been Camellia oil and conditioners (I just use leave-in conditioners in place of moisturizers sometimes).