View Full Version : How Many Days To Wash Before Relaxer?

Mrs.Harrington
07-02-2010, 04:19 PM
I just found out My stylist can't do my relaxer until Wednesday(15wks post) and I wanted to know if it would be to late to wash or co-wash my hair TODAY(Friday)???? My hair is itchy and it really, really needs to be washed. Input is much needed and greatly appreciated. TIA

jusstoya
07-02-2010, 08:25 PM
You should be fine that's a whole 4 days.

Mrs.Harrington
07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
You should be fine that's a whole 4 days.

Just making sure. You know it may sound like the simplest question in the world, but my hair is the longest it has been in my adult life and I can't afford any setbacks. Thanks ;)

jusstoya
07-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Yw. :) We dont want setbacks! OR chemical burns!!! lol I cant wait to see pics!

denalove
07-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I think so too...I wouldn't wash within a three day period of pre-relaxing..so you're good!

PrincessRN
07-03-2010, 09:01 AM
I agree with the ladies Mrs H. But I would also suggest to be very gentle with your shampoo by not overly scrubbing the scalp so as not to irritate it (especially the sensitive edges). Also be very gentle with your styling and try to manipulate as little as possible. My scalp used to get so sensitive and tender when it was time for a retouch. If I overdid it with washing/styling, I definitely suffered during the relaxer application

evanny
07-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I, too, do my final wash 4 days before my relaxer date.

leentora
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM
It is advice that you do not wash your hair 7 days prior to a chemical treatment. If you wash say 4 days before a relaxer, you need to ensure you base your scalp well, very well at that to prevent any chemical burn. HTH

evanny
07-03-2010, 12:46 PM
It is advice that you do not wash your hair 7 days prior to a chemical treatment. If you wash say 4 days before a relaxer, you need to ensure you base your scalp well, very well at that to prevent any chemical burn. HTH

I was always told that it was 72 hours. It even says that on my relaxer box. :confused:

leentora
07-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I was always told that it was 72 hours. It even says that on my relaxer box. :confused:

You can do that, but remember you are dealing with Sodium Hydroxide.

That 72 hours (3 days), is a safety net for those who feel they need to wash their hair. The longer, the better!

I am sure they mention basing your scalp properly too, because at 72 hours (3 days) chances are you may not have applied that much to your scalp, so you have clean scalp. You don't wanna apply SH on that hun. Stylist advice a week to be more safe, to prevent not only scalp burns but any form of scalp irritation.

Clean hair does not make the relaxer process any better or easier etc, SH don't need nothing clean in order to break down the compound it is applied to. It can strip that which it is applied and make it brand new, trust me, that is how powerful that stuff lol

MY personally opinion, I think it better when the scalp not so clean+base(with oil) to apply this stuff, so just in case it gets on the scalp it won't penetrate too quickly and cause irritation JMO though.

Smiles
07-03-2010, 05:34 PM
hmmm i wouldnt wash my hair.. i would gently cowash and do a mega good base! if you are itching that bad then go ahead but be sure you get a good base! :)

evanny
07-11-2010, 08:45 AM
hmmm i wouldnt wash my hair.. i would gently cowash and do a mega good base! if you are itching that bad then go ahead but be sure you get a good base! :)

You wash it so it takes better, and so you won't have to leave the relaxer on as long to achieve the look you're going for. . That's why the wash before the relaxer a lot of women will clarify their hair.

evanny
07-11-2010, 08:49 AM
You can do that, but remember you are dealing with Sodium Hydroxide.

That 72 hours (3 days), is a safety net for those who feel they need to wash their hair. The longer, the better!

I am sure they mention basing your scalp properly too, because at 72 hours (3 days) chances are you may not have applied that much to your scalp, so you have clean scalp. You don't wanna apply SH on that hun. Stylist advice a week to be more safe, to prevent not only scalp burns but any form of scalp irritation.

Clean hair does not make the relaxer process any better or easier etc, SH don't need nothing clean in order to break down the compound it is applied to. It can strip that which it is applied and make it brand new, trust me, that is how powerful that stuff lol

MY personally opinion, I think it better when the scalp not so clean+base(with oil) to apply this stuff, so just in case it gets on the scalp it won't penetrate too quickly and cause irritation JMO though.

I beg to differ. I have noticed with my own hair that relaxing on clean hair allows the process to go much faster and the results are much smoother. I do base, but having all of the extra from dirty hair caused my hair to process more slowly. I carify my hair and do my Aphogee 2 step treatment 4 days before. I base my scalp following that with CO, and then I base again on the day of the relaxer with CO and vaseline. I then apply a thick conditioner, CO, and Vaseline to my already relaxed ends. I don't get scalp burns or irritation and the process is a lot quicker.

HairObsessed
07-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I Aphogee 2 step before I relax and now that I have highlights I must. I texlax which means I leave my touch ups on for only 3 to 5 minutes. This I do the day after I wash it. So we are on the same page. I also saturate my ends in cocoanut oil to protect them.

I beg to differ. I have noticed with my own hair that relaxing on clean hair allows the process to go much faster and the results are much smoother. I do base, but having all of the extra from dirty hair caused my hair to process more slowly. I carify my hair and do my Aphogee 2 step treatment 4 days before. I base my scalp following that with CO, and then I base again on the day of the relaxer with CO and vaseline. I then apply a thick conditioner, CO, and Vaseline to my already relaxed ends. I don't get scalp burns or irritation and the process is a lot quicker.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

leentora
07-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Contrary to the facts, SH can break down dirt, metal and moreover keratin in the hair within minutes whether dirty or clean.

As a matter of fact you have just proven my point that dirty hair is better to process than clean hair (you still need to pile on products to protect the hair and scalp), because it will not be able to break down the hair bonds so quickly. The less hair bonds that are broken during a relaxer the better.

The concern is not only for scalp burns but also hair deterioration, that is why the more protected the hair the better, whether with oils along with dirt/build up.

I remember back in the day, before hair boards ppl never use to wash their hair before a relaxer, why? because more or less they knew that the dirt/build was the key to less burns and would make their relaxed hair come out thick and fluffy.

I am not tryna get you to change your routine at all, just stating the facts about what is better for the hair and scalp. This is only from what I have researched and from observation I have seen from women (on other sites and boards) with gorgeous long hair (texlaxed and relaxed).

Iwanthealthyhair67
07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I've tried both ways I jus prefer relaxing on dirty hair the relaxer imo 'takes' better and I feel is less damaging to the scalp

Contrary to the facts, SH can break down dirt, metal and moreover keratin in the hair within minutes whether dirty or clean.

As a matter of fact you have just proven my point that dirty hair is better to process than clean hair (you still need to pile on products to protect the hair and scalp), because it will not be able to break down the hair bonds so quickly. The less hair bonds that are broken during a relaxer the better.

The concern is not only for scalp burns but also hair deterioration, that is why the more protected the hair the better, whether with oils along with dirt/build up.

I remember back in the day, before hair boards ppl never use to wash their hair before a relaxer, why? because more or less they knew that the dirt/build was the key to less burns and would make their relaxed hair come out thick and fluffy.

I am not tryna get you to change your routine at all, just stating the facts about what is better for the hair and scalp. This is only from what I have researched and from observation I have seen from women (on other sites and boards) with gorgeous long hair (texlaxed and relaxed).

Iwanthealthyhair67
07-11-2010, 09:07 PM
oh and normally I'd wait a week but now that I'm on this challenge I waited for about 4 days

evanny
07-12-2010, 06:42 PM

I know you're not trying to change me. I've seen good results with what I've been doing so I'm going to stick with what works for me. ;) I used to base on dirty hair and it took way too long to process.