View Full Version : Should you grease your scalp everyday?

Naemamaz
06-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm not suree?

evanny
06-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I feel that oiling the scalp one or twice a week is beneficial. I don't grease my scalp b/c grease tends to have cheap filler ingredients in it and the oil has an overall better effect on my hair and scalp. Anything from shine, to vitamins, nutrients, and overall health. I don't oil everyday, b/c that can lead to heavy hair. I like light hair that has bounce to it. HTH

virtuouswoman
06-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't use grease anymore but I moisturize my hair daily, because my hair gets dry and when it gets dry it starts to break...and I don't like that....

naomimaxine927
06-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't use grease, as it feels heavy, and most grease does not have the best ingredients. I use oil, and moisturize and seal every 2-3 days.

ysm
06-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Me too. I use Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer and then seal w/coconut oil usually once or twice/week.

miZZPortah
06-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm with the other ladies oils are the way to go I like castor, coconut, sweet almond, and grapeseed oils. Water Based moisturizers are very good to use as NTM was already mentioned.

denalove
06-20-2010, 09:18 PM
If you grease the scalp everyday, the scalp is not able to breathe...IMO....
clogging the pores, hindering stmulation....
My hair is super oily, my scalp is anyways, even my face gets oily due to my hair's oil, so I dare not grease my scalp at all...just moisturize my hair as the others said.

LilMissRed
06-21-2010, 07:29 AM
I dont use grease but I agree that I would think there would be some build up on ur scalp, hence clogged pores ??? *shrugs*

angel_hair
06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
No I haven't used grease in years. Like others have said it clog your pores, and also in the summer you feel like a hot mess.

thegreatdebator
06-21-2010, 09:03 AM
I just recently started using sulfur 8 on my scalp daily and have noticed some great growth with it. I know some people don't agree with the use of grease but I don't think I am ready to let go of the little yellow bottle LOL...

Naemamaz
06-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Is this product grease?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418zwOQd2fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Waves2Curls
06-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't use grease- it eventually dries my hair out. I just moisturize without putting anything on the scalp.

angel_hair
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
is this product grease?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/i/418zwoqd2fl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

yes............

artlove
06-23-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm glad I read this, because currently I only own hair greases, no oils or liquid moisturizers. I didn't know that the ingredients in grease weren't that great.

My question is: What brand(s) of oils or moisturizers in particular are great for transitioners?

I'm going to a beauty supply store later on today. I could really use some suggestions. I haven't been taking good care of my hair like I should. But I'm trying to start.

evanny
06-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm glad I read this, because currently I only own hair greases, no oils or liquid moisturizers. I didn't know that the ingredients in grease weren't that great.

My question is: What brand(s) of oils or moisturizers in particular are great for transitioners?

I'm going to a beauty supply store later on today. I could really use some suggestions. I haven't been taking good care of my hair like I should. But I'm trying to start.

First, congrats on deciding to take better care of your hair! :)

Secondly, the majority of us get our oils from health food stores or from the oil/vitamin section at places like Wal-Mart, Target, and so on. The reason why we get them from there is b/c most of the time they are edible, and usually when the oil is edible, it's more pure since it's designed to be consumed. A lot of ladies use oils like grapeseed oil, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, jojoba oil (IDk if this oil is edible), or sweet almond oil (this one either). The oils add essential nutrients and vitamins to our hair, so it's very beneficial to add them to your regimen. HTH

artlove
06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks evanny! I'll remember these things the next time I make a trip to Walmart.

My hair is really dry. It's at the stage where the two textures are getting hard to control.

I cannot wait to try one of these oils.

Vonica53
09-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Grease is not good for the hair or scalp. Try using natural oils. I had my hair braided and when I took them out all of my edges were gone! I was so upset. I started researching the benefits of natural oils, coconut, almond, avocado, olive, etc. I also started making my own shampoos.... and guess what my hair edges are coming back and I no long have breakage.

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Like you, I noticed some growth changes in my hair since I started on the Sulfur 8, but I had to put the yellow jar down when I joined the JBCO challenge...loving that JBCO though...

I just recently started using sulfur 8 on my scalp daily and have noticed some great growth with it. I know some people don't agree with the use of grease but I don't think I am ready to let go of the little yellow bottle LOL...

Halibel
09-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Me likey my hair grease LMAO!

As for ya question OP, I only grease once a week.

Bodybutter
09-03-2010, 12:03 AM
I like my scalp breathing so may use some Dax sulphur or shea mixture before shampooing but never daily..natural sebum is best for me.

maypromise2011
09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
i would every two to three days.

moisturize daily actually twice daily and seal with a natural oil.

lamaria211
09-22-2010, 08:56 AM
i oil my scalp with castor oil and peppermint oil every 3 days or so sometimes i dd evco as well