View Full Version : What Kind Of Hair Gel Do You Use ?

CREODiiVA
07-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Im looking for a gel that wont make my hair hard...but still works
Plus it has to smell good ?:confused:

Dividir
07-26-2008, 03:45 AM
what style are you trying to do?

I haven't used hair gel for a while, (I really cant remember why tho, I think it just made my no where to be seen edges too dry)

But I noticed, when I was slicking my hair back, all i needed was a bit of moisturiser, and some oil and my hard brush, and my hair would stay put, like I had geleld it down.

Then I had two of my male friends fussing about saying, ooo look she has baby hair (going on a bit tooo excited about it!) but I never though I did, but it all seemed to fall into place

denalove
07-26-2008, 11:58 AM
The let's jam products are really good...works for me. They don't make my hair hard and I actually like the smell.

The Anti Hair Slave
07-26-2008, 12:20 PM
100% Aloe Vera Gel.

browneyedgirl
07-26-2008, 04:55 PM
100% Aloe Vera Gel.

great idea and so natural too!! I love aloe vera oil but never used for gel. *Adding to my list*

AFRICAN HAIR
07-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Im looking for a gel that wont make my hair hard...but still works
Plus it has to smell good ?:confused:
DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF GEL WHAT SO EVER.. IT MAY NOT MAKE YOUR HAIR NE DIFFERENT NOW BUT YOU WILL KNOW HOW IT HAS EFFECTED YOUR HAIR IN THE FUTURE.. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD USE OLIVE OIL OR OR DESINGERS TOUCH ITS WAY BETTER THAN GEL OR JAM.. JAM TENDS TO FEEL GREASY BUT DESINGERS TOUCH COSTS ABOUT 3.99.. ITS CONDITIONING GEL. AND GOES ON YOUR HAIR LIKE A CREME. && YOU WILL LOVE IT && BE HAPPY THAT YOU CHOSE IT. YOU CAN BUY IT AT A BSS OR SALLYS.. JUST ASK FOR {{DESIGNERS TOUCH}}..

Dividir
07-28-2008, 03:18 AM
I must say I have used Elasta QP and lets Jam in the past, as well as african pride. Oh and Nixons freeze gel.

Freeze gel works well, but if you use too much it will flake, the African pride thing (i thinks thats what its called) didnt flake with me, but it doest have the best hold. I used to like the smell of the Jam products too (and the random colours)

But Elasta QP was good. If I had to choose it really depends on what I am doing with my hair but defo between Elasta, nixon and Jam (hmm, maybe I should try mixing them?)

CREODiiVA
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I must say I have used Elasta QP and lets Jam in the past, as well as african pride. Oh and Nixons freeze gel.

Freeze gel works well, but if you use too much it will flake, the African pride thing (i thinks thats what its called) didnt flake with me, but it doest have the best hold. I used to like the smell of the Jam products too (and the random colours)

But Elasta QP was good. If I had to choose it really depends on what I am doing with my hair but defo between Elasta, nixon and Jam (hmm, maybe I should try mixing them?)

I Love the way jam smells but Its just too greasy for me
............But Did I Add the Smell Is BOMB !!!!!!!!!!! lol

Sunshyne
08-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Fantasia IC Gel with Sparklites. Lovess it!!:)

CREODiiVA
08-13-2008, 12:01 AM
DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF GEL WHAT SO EVER.. IT MAY NOT MAKE YOUR HAIR NE DIFFERENT NOW BUT YOU WILL KNOW HOW IT HAS EFFECTED YOUR HAIR IN THE FUTURE.. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD USE OLIVE OIL OR OR DESINGERS TOUCH ITS WAY BETTER THAN GEL OR JAM.. JAM TENDS TO FEEL GREASY BUT DESINGERS TOUCH COSTS ABOUT 3.99.. ITS CONDITIONING GEL. AND GOES ON YOUR HAIR LIKE A CREME. && YOU WILL LOVE IT && BE HAPPY THAT YOU CHOSE IT. YOU CAN BUY IT AT A BSS OR SALLYS.. JUST ASK FOR {{DESIGNERS TOUCH}}..

Thankxx I will go check sally's out

Acire30
08-13-2008, 12:50 AM
100% Aloe Vera Gel.

So you just get it from the plant and brush it in?
Wet or Dry?

Vermelha
08-14-2008, 08:24 AM

errr.....

I haven't seen any changes in my hair from using hair gel. The newer gel varieties no longer have alcohol or any drying agents (and that's why a lot of them suck anyway). My hair has still reached my goal length this summer and I use gel on the regular.

My favorite is La Bella and Freeze It (which has caramel in the ingredients, great humectant!)

It's really how MUCH and what kind of hair gel you use in opposed to using it period. If you just dab a little on the edges and tie it down at night, no harm done. However, if you're a "gel and weave" girl and you gel the hair until it's hard as a brick, of course breakage would occur.

Vermelha
08-14-2008, 08:26 AM
So you just get it from the plant and brush it in?
Wet or Dry?

I want to try Aloe Vera. My shampoo has this in it.

My friend in Brazil mixed Aloe Vera gel with Avocado as a leave-in and a deep treatment. It has to be 100% Aloe Vera though (some others have Alcohol in the ingredients, not good!!!)

I think she used it wet from what I understand, but i think it would be great on dry hair.

TokyoDoll
08-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I use Jam but I also Use CLEAR ICE ...

CREODiiVA
08-14-2008, 06:17 PM
I use Jam but I also Use CLEAR ICE ...

Im not using Clear Ice anymore..

CREODiiVA
10-19-2008, 04:17 PM
I got some ALOE VERA GEL Finally it was like almost 5 dollars at RITE-AID ..haven't used it yet

keesh89
11-14-2008, 05:36 PM
me too i love it also:)

natedogre
11-19-2008, 05:44 PM
if you want outrageous-styled hair, styling waxes are the way to go. just make sure you don't use to much of it, and to wash it off after.

TopNotch
12-06-2008, 06:23 PM
abla organics had great smelling non alcoholic gel

daht_mixed_chick
12-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Aloe Vera, Softee, IC, I used to use Blue Magic as well.

CREODiiVA
12-15-2008, 09:53 AM
theres this gel called XTREME I got at the 99Cent store BOMB !

hair4me09
12-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Organics now has a gel called, "extra olive oil" gel

Mz. JJ
12-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I dont use gel often but when I do I use QP Elasta Glaze Conditioning Shining Gel...no hard, crunchy hair, or flakes.

HairMaiden
12-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I use an all natural gel. It's aloe vera gel.

It's all natural and can be used to treat sun burns :]

HairObsessed
01-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Ampro Pro Styl Clear Protein Styling Gel. I use it SPARINGLY and only when I wear my hair curly straight out the shower. I also leave in some conditioner for slip so when I crunch my hair with my hands it encourages the curl.

Jam scares me. IT TAKES OFF MY NAIL POLISH SO I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT IT IS DOING TO MY HAIR!?

antoinette
01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
i dont use gel i use a product called smooth edges! it will lay your hair down and it doesnt cake up or dry your hair like gel!

Teapoochie
01-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Lets Jam is too greasy! Plus it broke my hair off back in the day. Ive been using gel forever on my hair and I must say, I have a glorius head of hair. Its all genetics. What works for me dont work for all. I use Eco Style gel and mix it with my Mane and Tail condish. Its a beautiful thing you!! But, it does make my fair firm. I use the clear kind thats a 10 but, if you use pink, brown or yellow its less firm. My hair is think as heck so I use 10 when I really prefer 12 but, they dont make it...LOL!

thenotso
01-23-2009, 01:19 AM
ditto on that ic gel

evanny
01-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I have this straightening cream by Victiria's Secret. It smell good, not as good as their shine serum, and it works well. I use that on my edges the longer I stretch.

Drunk Monkey
01-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I use Eco Styler gel. It's the best I've used yet. :)

rudy huxtable
02-21-2009, 12:15 PM
I have found no matter what gel I use, (even the cheap .99 kind that flakes), when I add some oil to it, (olive,coconut,etc.) everything changes. No flakes, no dryness, nothing.

mssnu
02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Rudy good suggestion on the oil add. When I need gel which is every so often I have taken Vermelha's suggestion of the Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe gel. It is cheap and can be found at walmart. I added a little jojoba oil to it and it is wonderful.

I have found no matter what gel I use, (even the cheap .99 kind that flakes), when I add some oil to it, (olive,coconut,etc.) everything changes. No flakes, no dryness, nothing.

LilMissRed
02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Im thrilled to say.. I dont know when I last used any gel :)

naomimaxine927
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't use jel too often but I use Jam when I need it, because it still leaves the hair soft and it smell great.

lioness822
04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Hello Everyone!

I'm sorry I'm all late on the topic, however I wanted to know if any of you had any experience w/ any "Protein Based" Gels. I've been searching around for some and I've come up w/ Proclaim's Protein Styling Gel--it comes in a black and white jar, which I've located on the Sally's website. According to the description:

Specially formulated for professional stylists
Protects dry, porous hair from breakage
Gives maximum body to hold any style, without flaking
Oil-free, alcohol-free

I appreciate any feedback on the product!! Thanks

Trendolyn
04-22-2009, 10:34 AM
I am using an activator jel it moisturizes and there isn't a flake to it

bobo602
04-26-2009, 07:41 AM
elasta qp mango butter has worked for me during my stretches. also, design essentials foam wrap is supposed work well for your edges

FleurDesLis
04-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Giovanni sculpting gel or Hairveda's Whipped Gelly

lisabrown1
07-20-2009, 09:55 PM
ok im trying to find something other then the kccc due to the price and the shipping and handling....i really do like it, but if i can find somethng cheaper that works about the same or better, i will try it:D..

Bodybutter
07-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I use ORGANIC ROOT STIMULATOR LOCK/TWIST GEL and ECO STYLER.

LyeNoMoreJordanLNE
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
The Long Aid Activator gel had aloe vera and glycerin that makes my hair soft and pops out the curls. I use pro styl protein gel for my edges, but I have to put water on my edges so it won't get hard. I bought some Eco Styler gel the weekend and both of them seem to keep my edges tamed and moisturized. One is the has olive oil in a green jar and the other is pink.

Amina
07-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Aloe Vera Gel only :) It does what I need it to do...even slicks my edges down.

chocohippie
07-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Have you ever tried flaxseed gel?

virtuouswoman
07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't use gel but conditoner works for me works kind of like gel....

btru2u
07-28-2009, 03:23 AM
I am about to experiment with aloe vera gel and flaxseed gel when I get cornrows, but I use Fantastic gel on my son's hair...

Amina
07-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Have you ever tried flaxseed gel?

I've nvr tried it, do u use it? What r its benefits?

chocohippie
08-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I've nvr tried it, do u use it? What r its benefits?

Sorry to get back to you so late, but flax seed gel is all natural. You can buy the seeds at just about any grocery store.

I'm not too great at explaining how to make things, but there is a video on youtube from a woman called "theharoine" (or you can just type in how to make flax seed gel) and she will explain it to you.

Trendolyn
08-04-2009, 12:37 AM
http://www.irbysbeautysupply.com/images/graphics/edgetamer2.jpg

this stuff is the bomb baby!!!

BritishPound
08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
As a few others have suggested ... Elasta QP's conditioning gel has been good for me, and have used Lets Jam but prefer Elasta.

Trendolyn
08-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Edge Defense by Syntonics.. $12.95 (well that's what I paid)

Ingredients: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificata, Purified) Extracts: Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf and Calendula Officinalis Flower, Ceteareth-25, Glycerin (Natural), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Propylene Glycol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint Oil), Menthol, Diazolidinyl Urea, (and) Iodopropynl Butylcarbonate.

I like it better than the edge tamer by Keracare.... b/c of the ingredients.

adelh
02-10-2010, 03:24 AM
where do you buy smooth edges? My edges are all curly and wiry, and i would love to put something on them that will make them flat . How does the stuff work?

godiva
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Ecostyler gel (clear) and Long-Aid Activator Gel

Dividir
02-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I have found using a gel activator and some oil works well for me.

Sometimes I add 360 style wave control pomade
tag lines are
*Firm Hold
*Non Greasy
*No build up
*Rinses out easily with water

Why not try a pomade (if you are not anti-vaseline and other crude oil derivitives
It definitely seals well.

sweets
02-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I use a few...And all for different parts of my hair. I have 4 textures now.
KCCC
Aprmo brown ( i know , i know)
QP feels like silk

naomimaxine927
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Don't use gel, but if I did I'd probably invest in some Ecostyler.

ButterflyHair
02-20-2010, 09:42 AM

Me too!.....

gie
11-24-2010, 05:36 PM
KCCC is my now styler but I didn't figure out how to use it until I had totally transitioned.
I finally realized that the product was reacting differently to the relaxed and natural parts of my hair.
I only apply it once a week on totally wet hair, then the rest of the week I reactivate it with a mixture of LI and water a la Teri Laflesh.
Thank you for schooling me Teri.

evanny
12-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Eco Styler all the way now. I use the green one.

naomimaxine927
12-05-2010, 01:22 AM
^^^Me too, it's the best. I use it for ponies, wash n go's, shingling. I love it.

Halibel
12-06-2010, 01:12 AM
^^^^

Me three......stuff is pretty good, yo!

GoldenLight
12-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm the 4th....Love Eco Styler Gel

NapturallyTay
12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Eco Styler all the way now. I use the green one.

me too.. i actually use both the clear and green....

and if you want to lay ur curlies down flat put sum leaver in then ur gel then tie ur hair down..i either do this the night before or first thing in the morning...works wonders.

naomimaxine927
12-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Tay, that is exactly how I do my ponies/bunny tails. I do it before bed, tie it down, and take it off in the morning, and voila, flat, wavy hair.

AuNaturale85
12-15-2010, 09:08 PM
I use Method of Style activator gel!!!!!!!! LOVE THAT STUFF!!! OMGGGGG!!!! :):):):)

XBrowneyesX
12-18-2010, 06:40 AM
I haven't used gel in awhile but I used the set me up by Herbal Essence and got2be gel.

ac22ford
12-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Aloe Vera Gel is my favorite.

Eco-styler is just okay b/c I need a lot of it to hold my hair down and then I feel like I have to wash my hair the next day. But it is a close 2nd when I run out of AVG.

AuNaturale85
12-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I use Method of Style activator gel!!!!!!!! LOVE THAT STUFF!!! OMGGGGG!!!! :):):):)

I think I am gonna have a panic attack, I can't find this ANY WHERE anymore!!!! :eek::eek: So now I have to find a new gel....Im thinking about trying the LA activator gel....:(

GoldenLight
12-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Most of the time I use 100% Aloe Vera Gel, IC fantasia, or ORS gel. All of them I love but the best gel is aloe vera.

AuNaturale85
12-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I haven't used gel in awhile but I used the set me up by Herbal Essence and got2be gel.

Set me up gel is the businessss!!!

shanecleark
12-20-2010, 01:46 PM
There are many hair styling gel available in the market.The set-wet hair style gel,the park avenue styling gel and many.I used set-wet gold style gel to style my hair.My hair are so curly so i used set-wet gel to style them.

dezi
12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
I use aloe vera gel to retwist my locs. I love it -- no flakes. I use ECO styler Aloe vera on my kids, but it leaves flakesl. The clear seems to work better.

blackbabe
01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I absolutely love Softsheen Carson Let's Jam Shining & Conditioning Gel. Most especially the one with the orange top. Works well for me and they smell so great. have had compliments from people saying my hair smell great.

KeshaSharee
01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I use the IsoPlus Styling Gel (Pre-Conditioning Light) when I do twist-outs and braid-outs. Its extremely light (hence the name) and my hair never drys out (hence the name). Some of the ingredients may not appeal to naturals but to each his own!

Ms.Gibson
01-23-2011, 01:54 PM
At one time I used Weave Aide straight edge and it worked wonders.....Today I have not used it in about three weeks trying to reframe from gels not good for the hair.....