View Full Version : Hands down..name the best heat protectant!

sweets
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
So far I have to say Sabino Moisture Block.

evanny
05-20-2010, 08:42 PM
My vote is for either Aphogee green tea spray or CHI silk infusion. (Although I'm not 100% certain the CHI Silk Infuision is a heat protectant).

naomimaxine927
05-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I always use oil, or my ORS Moisturizing Olive Oil Lotion, which actually is a heat protectant believe it or not lol. Can't say that it is the best, as I don't really have anything to compare it to.

hanna_light
05-20-2010, 09:24 PM
My vote is CHI 44 Iron guard thermal protection spray but Motions heat seeker protecting spray is relatively inexpensive and just as effect.

Curlgenie
05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Well ive been using Organic Root Stimulator, Olive Oil, Heat Protection Serum this year. I dont flat iron my hair that often but i do use the hair dryer more frequently than the flat iron. But when i do use the serum before using the heat appliances i can tell the difference, my hair doesnt feel frazzled and my hair looks shiny. :) its a lot better than any sprays or the IC serum that i used to use.

I love serums because they last a long time as a little goes quite a way!!!!!!! :) My two cents lol

PrincessRN
05-21-2010, 07:10 AM
So far I have to say Sabino Moisture Block.

I keep hearing about this stuff. Where can I buy it? Is it in stores or online only?

evanny
05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
I keep hearing about this stuff. Where can I buy it? Is it in stores or online only?

I heard it was discontinued and a new formulation has replaced it that doesn't work as well. Is this true sweets?

sweets
05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I heard it was discontinued and a new formulation has replaced it that doesn't work as well. Is this true sweets?

Yes,It's been replaced with a new version called Lok N Blok. I have yet to try that one. The old version is kinda thick and the new is thinner according to the owner. My only problem with the old version is learning how much to use. I used half a bottle trying to get the right combonation! But otherwise it's a great product. You can find the old version online for cheap on ebay.

PrincessRN
05-21-2010, 05:29 PM
I bought the new Tresseme heat protectant today. I will be trying it soon.

ac22ford
05-21-2010, 08:13 PM
I was stalking fotki's and youtube today and seen some beautiful results of ladies using the sabino moisture block. I hope the new formula gives just as good of results b/c I will def try in a couple months. . . or try to find the old formula on ebay.

sweets
05-22-2010, 12:24 AM
A lady in the Hair supply store mentioned Fantasia but I saw 9.00 and passed since I wont be straight right now.

naomimaxine927
05-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Anybody use Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Reconstructurizer?

leentora
05-22-2010, 01:39 PM
I do Naomi, I use it with my rollerset plus a little CHI Silk Infusion.

naomimaxine927
05-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks Leen, does it work well? How about flat ironing, have you used it for that?

(You should try rollersetting without heat!:p)

leentora
05-22-2010, 02:26 PM
It does it makes it comes out nice and smooth and sleek. I only started doing this since Dec 09/Jan 10 and I very much like the results.

I have rollerset without heat missy I airdry when the sun grace this side of the world. I have to go uder my hooded dryer in the winter as my hair is very very thick and it will take days not hours to dry.

It is good stuff!

But I do love the Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Reconstructurizer. I got one of our family friend hooked on it, she washed her here at my house and I used it on her air and then blow dry it and the results were as if she had gotten a flat iron.

naomimaxine927
05-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Lol, thanks Leen. Think I will get that when I get a new flat iron. I don't use heat otherwise.

I was also looking at Proclaim Glossing Polish Heat Protectant. Another one I'm interested in is Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Heat Protection Spray.

Although I might just rock with the Aphogee, as it has multi purposes.

leentora
05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I have never flat iron with it to be honest, I have only used it when I rollerset and then dry under my dryer so I am not too sure of it with flat ironing, I m sur eit is good though as the resultsform the blow drying on my friends hair was awesome.

I have the Silk Element Heat protectant NOT the Olive oil one the regualr stuff. Mmm will put it to good use when I get my flat iron :D

Never use proclaim before. I am sure you won't be disappointed with the Aphogee though as long as you use heat with it. Either flat iron,blow dry or acctivate it like I do by using indirect heat (hooded dryer).

Or just as a good leave in either way it makes the hair feels and looks good.

naomimaxine927
05-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Yeah that's why I going to go with the Aphogee, since I can use it as a heat protectant, or a leave in.

jusstoya
05-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks Leen, does it work well? How about flat ironing, have you used it for that?

(You should try rollersetting without heat!:p)

I flat iron with it. It leaves my hair bouncy :)

naomimaxine927
05-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks Toya!

sweets
05-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks ladies! I was gonna try the Hask shine until I heard of Hask causing cancer. But I may try Proclaim since it was less than 5.oo at walmart.

Amina
05-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd like to try the Sabino Moisture Block one of these days when I finally decide to flat iron my hair (it's been almost a year since I last flat ironed it)!

JLicious
05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I'd like to try the Sabino Moisture Block one of these days when I finally decide to flat iron my hair (it's been almost a year since I last flat ironed it)!

You should definitely try it. It really helps the keep the hair from reverting. But, do not follow the directions and use the flat iron on 450 or whatever temp they say to use. Mr. Sabino told me that it seals onto you're hair at that temp, but that's too much heat IMO.

PrincessRN
05-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I used the Tresemme for the first time this week and I really liked. It still made my hair very soft, unlike the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea, which gave my hair a lot of bounce, but felt like straw.

NFW_THA_QUEEN13
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM
~SILK ELEMENTS~ BEST EVER...AFFORDABLE AND LEAVES HAIR XTRA SILKY!!! http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/7a/a/AAAACx-4nL8AAAAAAHqlXA.jpg

PrincessRN
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
~SILK ELEMENTS~ BEST EVER...AFFORDABLE AND LEAVES HAIR XTRA SILKY!!! http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/7a/a/AAAACx-4nL8AAAAAAHqlXA.jpg

I just switched from this product. Although I think it does protect the hair, it did not give me that smooth silky finish that I wanted, and my hair didn't seem to straighten as well with it. I switched to Mizani Therasmooth serum and am liking it a lot better.

note: not disagreeing with you Queen13, just sharing my experience :D

sweets
06-09-2010, 11:38 PM
I just switched from this product. Although I think it does protect the hair, it did not give me that smooth silky finish that I wanted, and my hair didn't seem to straighten as well with it. I switched to Mizani Therasmooth serum and am liking it a lot better.

Have you tried the entire thermasmooth line yet?

ac22ford
06-10-2010, 02:25 AM

I tried the Olive Oil Silk Therapy heat protectant (in the green bottle) and had similar results to you. . . Worked as a protectant, but my hair was not silky, and nice after. I did give it to my Mom and she fell in love with it. I might have to try the Mizani serum in the future.

evanny
06-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I just realized that I have the new Victoria's Secret heat protectant. I'll be using that this weekend.

sweets
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I just realized that I have the new Victoria's Secret heat protectant. I'll be using that this weekend.

:eek:I never look at their hair stuff. Maybe I should.

PrincessRN
06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Have you tried the entire thermasmooth line yet?

No Sweets, I haven't tried the full line. I was so desperate for something to help me with flat ironing that I didn't even realize there are other Therasmooth products. I just grabbed it off the shelf and ran, lol! (after paying of course!) I will go back and look at the other products and see if they look good. Is there like a shampoo, conditioner, and everything ?

PrincessRN
06-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I tried the Olive Oil Silk Therapy heat protectant (in the green bottle) and had similar results to you. . . Worked as a protectant, but my hair was not silky, and nice after. I did give it to my Mom and she fell in love with it. I might have to try the Mizani serum in the future.

Yeah, I didn't see the olive oil one until after I bought the regular one. It sounds like they are very similar. AC you are being so good, not straightening your hair. I am so jealous :p.

sweets
06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
No Sweets, I haven't tried the full line. I was so desperate for something to help me with flat ironing that I didn't even realize there are other Therasmooth products. I just grabbed it off the shelf and ran, lol! (after paying of course!) I will go back and look at the other products and see if they look good. Is there like a shampoo, conditioner, and everything ?

Yes. it suppose to be the best.

ac22ford
06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I didn't see the olive oil one until after I bought the regular one. It sounds like they are very similar. AC you are being so good, not straightening your hair. I am so jealous :p.

Girl, it's only out of fear. Last time I straightened, it was a complete mess. I don't want to waste the time, and get the same results.

sweets
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Girl, it's only out of fear. Last time I straightened, it was a complete mess. I don't want to waste the time, and get the same results.

Mine was a complete mess and I went to a salon:mad: My hair was lifeless straight.

evanny
06-10-2010, 09:23 PM

If it's as good as the CHI line, I'll get it too. That CHI line is some good stuff.

evanny
06-10-2010, 09:23 PM
:eek:I never look at their hair stuff. Maybe I should.

Girl you should! They have some good stuff and it smells too good!

PrincessRN
06-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Sweets I searched it online and the reviews are definitely favorable. Just a note of caution for those who are avoiding sulfates, the Mizani shampoo contains sodium laurel sulfate. I might try it but couldn't use it every week because I do need sulfate free shampoo except once in a blue moon when I need to clarify. But then again, this whole system is high in cones so a sulfate shampoo would be in order.

PrincessRN
06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
If it's as good as the CHI line, I'll get it too. That CHI line is some good stuff.

I just might need to try this :cool:

evanny
06-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I just might need to try this :cool:

The CHI shampoo has sulfates in it, just so you're aware. ;) I bought the whole line at a combination of Ross and TJ Maxx. That stuff is awesome, and the products really do compliment eachother.

evanny
12-05-2010, 01:56 AM
I've changed my vote to Silk Elements with olive oil heat protectant. That stuff is amazing!

PrincessRN
12-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Just bought Redken Smooth Down. Haven't used it yet but read great things about it.

evanny
12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Just bought Redken Smooth Down. Haven't used it yet but read great things about it.

I own it, and it's pretty good.

AuNaturale85
12-18-2010, 07:33 PM
I use Not Your Mothers heat protectant....

GoldenLight
12-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I love me some Chi Silk infusion/Chi Iron Guard.... does the best for my hair. But want to try the Redken Butter heat prot.

cocoabutternewbie
12-21-2010, 05:19 PM
i like the Chi 44

sweets
02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I have a new one that I love....it's cheap too. I haven't gotten ANY heat damage with weekly straightening.
Holloywood Olive oil...it's in a small 2oz bottle.

evanny
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Changing my vote yet again. Nioxin Thermal Bliss is the best I've ever used by FAR!!

PrincessRN
02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I loved the Redken Smooth Down. In my opinion, it is better than the Mizani Thermasmooth I was using before.

eyekandy22
02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
I have never tried Chi- but it is so at the top of my list when I use heat in the future. Everything I have tried has been okay at protecting my hair from heat- but either smells weird or didn't leave my hair silky (Beyond the Zone product from Sallys).

SeekingStylists
02-24-2011, 11:46 PM
I like serum myself. You just use a small amount each time so I would have to agree with Curlgenie. I have never tried using organic products. Maybe I should...

BambiJorae
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
I've been a fan of CHI hair protectants.

besthairweave
01-14-2012, 11:48 PM
To me, the best heat protectant is grapeseed oil. It's the best because not only is it a heat protectant but it's all natural and it seals in moisture.

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
04-24-2012, 02:21 PM
I love the Hana Shine Shield

sweets
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Im in love with grapeseed oil....

ch1
03-31-2013, 05:30 PM
I have always had good results with IC fantasia serum but would prefer something with no/minimal 'cones some good ideas here

Barbara
08-18-2013, 11:15 PM
My stylist uses olive oil or any oil blend.

Barbara
09-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Is there any other way to use the Silk Elements Heat Protectant?

I have the regular one and the olive oil one. My stylist doesn't want to use these products on my hair, since he uses an oil blend--which I bring in.