View Full Version : Texlax vs Texturizer????

PrincessRN
04-25-2010, 06:13 PM
As most of you know I am transitioning from relaxed to natural. It has been 12 months and as i consider the BC, i am not sure what I want to do with my hair now. Although I thought I wanted to stay away from all chemicals, I find myself considering all options. Soooooo......What are the benefits to texlaxing verses using a texturizer? Is one supposed to be "safer" than the other? Is a texturizer actually "milder" than using a relaxer to texlax or does the texturizer have the same chemicals as a relaxer? Do the results come out the same? Thanks in advance ladies!

leentora
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
I use a relaxer to texlaxed my hair, but I oil my whole length and scalp the week of texlaxer, I use coconut oil. Also my relaxer is a mild relaxer so the oil slows down the processing of the relaxer and the mild relaxer is another factor.

So all in all my curls are just loose but I still have my thick natural hair left behind, if that makes sense, even though I am not natural.

Texturizers gives you the same results (loosen curls/waves). Yes I am pretty sure texturizers contain either of the two sodium hydroxide (lye) or calcium hydroxide (no-lye).

If my memory serves me well again, most texturizer-ers uses kids relaxer to get the results.

angel_hair
04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Tex-laxing leaves you w/ texture which is good. When retouch time comes my hair almost feels natural.

I was watching What Not to Wear Friday, and they had a sister on, and the hair stylist the brother not sure of his name made a point that 'we' should move more to tex-laxing rather than bone straight. Tex-laxing is catching on.

HairObsessed
04-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Here is a great thread on what are the benefits to texlaxing verses using a texturizer: Black Hair Media Hair Forum: CALLING ALL TEXLAXERS/TEXTURIZERS!! (http://talk.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=196876&PID=4040277)

On a personal note I texturize my hair. I like wearing my hair curly in the summer time. I also like my hair THICK so when I do flat iron my hair it does not look dead.

PrincessRN
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Here is a great thread on what are the benefits to texlaxing verses using a texturizer: Black Hair Media Hair Forum: CALLING ALL TEXLAXERS/TEXTURIZERS!! (http://talk.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=196876&PID=4040277)

On a personal note I texturize my hair. I like wearing my hair curly in the summer time. I also like my hair THICK so when I do flat iron my hair it does not look dead.

Thanks HairO, that was a great thread! That girl has a head full of hair!! Your hair always looks pretty so you know I wnt details, lol! What brand of texturizer do you use? Do you feel that a texturizer is safer than using a relaxer to texlax? How often do you retouch?

I thought I had sworn off of the chemicals, but my hair has just exploded overnight :eek:. I thought it was thick before, but it seems to have doubled in thickness; in addition the shrinkage which was pretty tight before, seems to have increased another 50%. I don't know what's up with my texture now or if it will change again as it continues to grow. Anyway, I am not very happy with it right now so texturizing seems like an option.

PrincessRN
04-26-2010, 09:29 PM
I use a relaxer to texlaxed my hair, but I oil my whole length and scalp the week of texlaxer, I use coconut oil. Also my relaxer is a mild relaxer so the oil slows down the processing of the relaxer and the mild relaxer is another factor.

So all in all my curls are just loose but I still have my thick natural hair left behind, if that makes sense, even though I am not natural.

Texturizers gives you the same results (loosen curls/waves). Yes I am pretty sure texturizers contain either of the two sodium hydroxide (lye) or calcium hydroxide (no-lye).

If my memory serves me well again, most texturizer-ers uses kids relaxer to get the results.

Leen, i have seen your beautiful head full of texlaxed curls!!!! i could only hope to obtain such gorgeous results. This is good information, I did not know that oil slows down the processing of the relaxer. I am still undecided about what to do, but I do know I am not happy with how my hair has been looking lately :(

PrincessRN
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Tex-laxing leaves you w/ texture which is good. When retouch time comes my hair almost feels natural.

I was watching What Not to Wear Friday, and they had a sister on, and the hair stylist the brother not sure of his name made a point that 'we' should move more to tex-laxing rather than bone straight. Tex-laxing is catching on.

Angel, what brand of relaxer do you use and how often do you retouch? Does everyone who texlaxes tend to do it themselves, or are there stylists who can do this as well?

PrincessRN
04-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Sorry ladies, I see I put this in the wrong section....for some reason i didn't see the "texturizer" section :p. Leentora, please feel free to move this thread over there if that would be better. Thanks!

leentora
04-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry ladies, I see I put this in the wrong section....for some reason i didn't see the "texturizer" section :p. Leentora, please feel free to move this thread over there if that would be better. Thanks!

NP It's done for you hun :)

ac22ford
04-27-2010, 12:28 AM
:( I still love you Princess *runs out of thread*

SHIRO
04-27-2010, 12:44 AM
thanks princess for this thread,and thanks Leen and HO for your helpful responses.am also transitioning to texlax\texturiser and the info you provided is valuable to me.

PrincessRN
04-27-2010, 05:18 PM

Awww AC, I haven't done anything yet...and i don't want to but i am really struggling right now. Just exploring my options. Don't give up on me yet, lol!

leentora
04-27-2010, 05:23 PM

Ac she has not done anything yet, she is only exploring her options. Awww don't let her feel bad that she can not play with the idea, she does not say she gonna :p

I know you still gonna love her either way :p

thanks princess for this thread,and thanks Leen and HO for your helpful responses.am also transitioning to texlax\texturiser and the info you provided is valuable to me.

Your welcome hun, not a problem :)

HairObsessed
04-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I use: Texture Softener - Soft & Beautiful - Home (http://www.texturesoftener.com/)
I prefer using this because it does not completely straighten my hair. It just defines my curls. I retouch every 3 months. Sometimes when my hair grows faster (in the spring to summer) It will be every 2 and a half months. I usually wait for an INCH of new growth to re touch. As for it being "safer" I can't co-sign on that. They are BOTH chemicals and just as damaging to the hair if kept on for a long period of time. For the record- I put the texturizer in my hair for only 6 min. TOPS. I do it really really fast... I amaze my daughter... she always says... WOW how do you do that?! LOL! :eek:
Thanks HairO, that was a great thread! That girl has a head full of hair!! Your hair always looks pretty so you know I wnt details, lol! What brand of texturizer do you use? Do you feel that a texturizer is safer than using a relaxer to texlax? How often do you retouch?

I thought I had sworn off of the chemicals, but my hair has just exploded overnight :eek:. I thought it was thick before, but it seems to have doubled in thickness; in addition the shrinkage which was pretty tight before, seems to have increased another 50%. I don't know what's up with my texture now or if it will change again as it continues to grow. Anyway, I am not very happy with it right now so texturizing seems like an option.

HairObsessed
04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
You know many folks think I am a "natural" when I wear my hair curly big and poofy in the summer. Unless you ASK me you'd never know. :p So does that make me a DL NATURAL?!?! OMG!!!!

Ac she has not done anything yet, she is only exploring her options. Awww don't let her feel bad that she can not play with the idea, she does not say she gonna :p

I know you still gonna love her either way :p

Your welcome hun, not a problem :)

leentora
04-27-2010, 06:52 PM
You know many folks think I am a "natural" when I wear my hair curly big and poofy in the summer. Unless you ASK me you'd never know. :p So does that make me a DL NATURAL?!?! OMG!!!!

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/smilielol.gif you so something else, well if I do a wash'n go, my hair comes out curly, like in my avitar on my profile.

So I think that is what the naturals and the relaxed heads would call us that either :D DL Naturals!

Actually I like it unshame to be honest :p

PrincessRN
04-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Leen and HairO, a friend of mine told me today that when using a texturizer on longer hair you run the risk of the results looking like a Jherri curl :eek:. I definitely don't want that! Do you know if this is true? I know both of you have beautiful texturized/texlaxed hair, so no Jherri curl problems there, lol. Is that because you only leave the texturizer in for a few minutes, or is it really related to the original texture/curl pattern of the hair prior to texlaxing? What hair types seem to respond best to texturizers?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to make an informed decision, so I have to ask you experts :D.

ac22ford
04-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Awww AC, I haven't done anything yet...and i don't want to but i am really struggling right now. Just exploring my options. Don't give up on me yet, lol!

I understand whatever you decide.We just went thru most of the transition together and I was looking forward to the BC (well now I can look forward to the texturizer BC). I'm not mad or trying to make you feel bad, only teasing (lol, back off texturizers :p)

HairObsessed
04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Texlaxed and Loving It (http://thehairofdlewis.blogspot.com/)

No jherri curl here!

leentora
04-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Leen and HairO, a friend of mine told me today that when using a texturizer on longer hair you run the risk of the results looking like a Jherri curl :eek:. I definitely don't want that! Do you know if this is true? I know both of you have beautiful texturized/texlaxed hair, so no Jherri curl problems there, lol. Is that because you only leave the texturizer in for a few minutes, or is it really related to the original texture/curl pattern of the hair prior to texlaxing? What hair types seem to respond best to texturizers?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to make an informed decision, so I have to ask you experts :D.

I don't know about that hun, you have seen all my hair photos on the board and in my albums both with wet hair and dry hair. They don't look Jherri Curl, I am a type ''4'' something and my hair came out fine.

This Jherri Curl thing is news to me, I have not heard of any texlaxed or texturized person mentioning ending up with a jherri curl after texlaxed or texturizer.

I am gonna do some research on this, be back soon!

HairObsessed
04-28-2010, 02:51 PM
This is THE DAY AFTER MY TOUCH UP. Yes you read that right.... so can you even remotely imagine what my hair is like WITHOUT THE ASSISTANCE OF A TEXTURIZER?! :eek: The second photo is 20 minutes after I used my Solia Flat-Iron.... how do I love thee.... let me count the ways!!!!!!

leentora
04-28-2010, 02:56 PM
This is THE DAY AFTER MY TOUCH UP. Yes you read that right.... so can you even remotely imagine what my hair is like WITHOUT THE ASSISTANCE OF A TEXTURIZER?! :eek: The second photo is 20 minutes after I used my Solia Flat-Iron.... how do I love thee.... let me count the ways!!!!!!

Wooo child I love the highlights, why are you tempting me, you naughty girl.

* I must resist the urge to highlight again, argh it is so hard*

HairObsessed
04-28-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/graphics/products/regular/AX9602.jpg AND HIGHLIGHTS!!!! :p
Wooo child I love the highlights, why are you tempting me, you naughty girl.

* I must resist the urge to highlight again, argh it is so hard*

HairObsessed
04-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Mmmmmmmmm hiiiiiiiggggllllliiiiigggghhhhhhtttttsssss!

PrincessRN
04-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Girl, you surely know how to work a flat iron! Your hair looks gorgeous

leentora
04-28-2010, 10:47 PM
http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/graphics/products/regular/AX9602.jpg AND HIGHLIGHTS!!!! :p

I just saw this you are a mess lmao

leentora
04-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Mmmmmmmmm hiiiiiiiggggllllliiiiigggghhhhhhtttttsssss!

Did you do the highlights yourself hun? As I know you are the jack of all trades lol

PrincessRN
04-28-2010, 10:54 PM
I understand whatever you decide.We just went thru most of the transition together and I was looking forward to the BC (well now I can look forward to the texturizer BC). I'm not mad or trying to make you feel bad, only teasing (lol, back off texturizers :p)

I know what you mean AC. I was definitely your hair groupie during the transition (I still am now that you have BC'd, lol!). I was always trying to get my hair to look like yours and I learned so much from you. I really am not excited about texturizing my hair, I think I just felt desperate because my hair all of a sudden seemed so unruly. I am still transitioning, but the relaxed ends are definitely on my nerves. Looking at all of your hair pics in the "pics of daily hair" thread helps me remember what my ultimate goal is and it is NOT chemicals. I'm still on track for now....thanks for all the support!

PrincessRN
04-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Leen and HairO, thank you so much for your information. I have decided not to texturize/texlax for now. I am going to try to stick it out a little longer. The deciding factor for me was today when I went by to see my old hairdresser. She had a client there and her edges in the front were so thin and had patchy bald spots :eek: and she had the nerve to be getting another touch-up today! I started transitioning because I had some thinning and a bald spot on my front edges. Thank goodness it has all grown back now. But I kept looking at her and knew that would be my future if I went back to the chemicals right now. If I had known about texlaxing several years ago, it would have been so much better but I ALWAYS got my hair processed BONE STRAIGHT. For now I will just have to drool over the beautiful pictures you two post of your texlaxed tresses, lol.

ac22ford
04-29-2010, 12:52 AM

Whoo Chile, you have some thick beautiful hair!!

I know what you mean AC. I was definitely your hair groupie during the transition (I still am now that you have BC'd, lol!). I was always trying to get my hair to look like yours and I learned so much from you. I really am not excited about texturizing my hair, I think I just felt desperate because my hair all of a sudden seemed so unruly. I am still transitioning, but the relaxed ends are definitely on my nerves. Looking at all of your hair pics in the "pics of daily hair" thread helps me remember what my ultimate goal is and it is NOT chemicals. I'm still on track for now....thanks for all the support!

That's great Princess. Please know that I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty or anything. What you said truly warms my heart. Thank you. I was thinking, maybe you could do the BC (when you are ready) so you could experience natural for a little bit, and then if you don't like it, you still have options. But I'm telling you girl, natural hair is a whole easier ball game than transitioning. It's like I have a new head of hair! The shrinkage does get on my nerves but in a sense, it's like my little secret. . . my hair is SL, but no one knows it!

HairObsessed
04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
YUP with a Feria BOX KIT!

Did you do the highlights yourself hun? As I know you are the jack of all trades lol

PrincessRN
04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Whoo Chile, you have some thick beautiful hair!!

That's great Princess. Please know that I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty or anything. What you said truly warms my heart. Thank you. I was thinking, maybe you could do the BC (when you are ready) so you could experience natural for a little bit, and then if you don't like it, you still have options. But I'm telling you girl, natural hair is a whole easier ball game than transitioning. It's like I have a new head of hair! The shrinkage does get on my nerves but in a sense, it's like my little secret. . . my hair is SL, but no one knows it!

Oh AC, I didn't think that at all!!! I actually thought it was funny that you found my thread and "busted" me, lol! I am excited to do the big chop, but I am getting concerned about the changes in my hair texture that seem to have happened overnight. Your hair looks very pretty in your pictures, smooth and wavy/curly. The front of my hair looks more like that, but the back seems to have exploded into a thick forest. I thought my hair was mostly 4a with maybe a little 3c in the front...but this hair in the back of my head seems to be 4b right now and is harder to manage (it wasn't like that before). In addition if I can be completely honest, I am not sure that I like how it looks. I mean I love that it is thick and healthy, but my braidouts are not well defined in the back and kind of look like a "bush" where the front is more defined. Wow, your hair is growing really fast...shoulder length already? You go girl! I can't wait until I am there with you.

PrincessRN
04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
YUP with a Feria BOX KIT!

HairO you are truly a hair guru, lol!

ac22ford
05-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Oh AC, I didn't think that at all!!! I actually thought it was funny that you found my thread and "busted" me, lol! I am excited to do the big chop, but I am getting concerned about the changes in my hair texture that seem to have happened overnight. Your hair looks very pretty in your pictures, smooth and wavy/curly. The front of my hair looks more like that, but the back seems to have exploded into a thick forest. I thought my hair was mostly 4a with maybe a little 3c in the front...but this hair in the back of my head seems to be 4b right now and is harder to manage (it wasn't like that before). In addition if I can be completely honest, I am not sure that I like how it looks. I mean I love that it is thick and healthy, but my braidouts are not well defined in the back and kind of look like a "bush" where the front is more defined. Wow, your hair is growing really fast...shoulder length already? You go girl! I can't wait until I am there with you.

LOL, I'm just too nosy. I know you are transitioning so when I seen you started the thread, I had to come in.

I understand, You can't deny how you feel about your texture. Those feelings are real and can be hard to deal with. Going natural is truly a mental process as well as a physical process. This thread here could help you embrace your texture (that I know is absolutely stunning). . .

http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/f23/type-4-hair-7131/

I would link up with some natural 4b's (Amina is one, I think). They could probably offer better advice for you than me. Do you like bantu knots? Amina does them and her hair always look so on point! (Yes, I'm a huge fan of her hair :o)

PrincessRN
05-01-2010, 07:59 AM
LOL, I'm just too nosy. I know you are transitioning so when I seen you started the thread, I had to come in.

I understand, You can't deny how you feel about your texture. Those feelings are real and can be hard to deal with. Going natural is truly a mental process as well as a physical process. This thread here could help you embrace your texture (that I know is absolutely stunning). . .

http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/f23/type-4-hair-7131/

I would link up with some natural 4b's (Amina is one, I think). They could probably offer better advice for you than me. Do you like bantu knots? Amina does them and her hair always look so on point! (Yes, I'm a huge fan of her hair :o)

I agree completely, I love Amina's hair too, it is always fabulous! Since my hair seems to be all over the place and constantly changing, I will try to reserve my feelings about it for now. I keeps changing as it gets longer so I really don't know what my true texture is. It's strange because it actually seems to be almost straight at the roots and then starts curling.....I am not so great with the typing system right now, lol! In the meantime, I will try to embrace my hair (texture, shrinkage, and all), lol!

ac22ford
05-02-2010, 11:59 PM
I am bad at the typing system too. I sometimes feel like I can't find anyone who has my same type. I guess that I'm a strong 4a with some 3c, but I always feel like I need a little more length to truly tell.

Smiles
05-08-2010, 12:25 PM
this is a good thread! i have been trying to figure out what i want to do.. but i think im going to do a textlax and just oil my hair everyday the week prior to this!

PrincessRN
05-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Leen and HairO, thank you so much for your information. I have decided not to texturize/texlax for now. I am going to try to stick it out a little longer. The deciding factor for me was today when I went by to see my old hairdresser. She had a client there and her edges in the front were so thin and had patchy bald spots :eek: and she had the nerve to be getting another touch-up today! I started transitioning because I had some thinning and a bald spot on my front edges. Thank goodness it has all grown back now. But I kept looking at her and knew that would be my future if I went back to the chemicals right now. If I had known about texlaxing several years ago, it would have been so much better but I ALWAYS got my hair processed BONE STRAIGHT. For now I will just have to drool over the beautiful pictures you two post of your texlaxed tresses, lol.

Well ladies, I think I have to eat my words, lol! I am a punk, and I am exhausted fighting with this natural hair. It has broken me down and I have pretty much decided to relax again. I have been transitioning for 13 months and I have learned so many things about hair care that I will be able to take better care of my relaxed hair now than before. Part of me feels like a
failure :( . I wanted so much to be natural, but it is just not working for me the way I hoped it would. I'll let you know when I have done the deed. (AC, please don't hate me, lol! :D )

leentora
05-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Well ladies, I think I have to eat my words, lol! I am a punk, and I am exhausted fighting with this natural hair. It has broken me down and I have pretty much decided to relax again. I have been transitioning for 13 months and I have learned so many things about hair care that I will be able to take better care of my relaxed hair now than before. Part of me feels like a
failure :( . I wanted so much to be natural, but it is just not working for me the way I hoped it would. I'll let you know when I have done the deed. (AC, please don't hate me, lol! :D )

I tihnk you should wait it out a bit more :eek: did I just say that lol, hun go on youtube and some blogs for naturals and get inspired again, look at their hair styles and inspire yourself again.

Here is one of my favorite blog, click on her hair pic to inspire you some :)
Naturally Obsessed (http://naturallyobsessed.onsugar.com/)

PrincessRN
05-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Thank you Leen for your encouragement!!!I love that blog, she has fantastic hair. I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer, but my problem is that I have been unable to style my hair in a way that is pleasing to me any longer. I am not defined by my hair, but i need for it to look attractive or else I don't feel right. And right now, i don't feel right. I think what also put me over the edge was over the weekend, I found a picture of myself before I started transitioning. My hair was long and full and straight and bouncing over my shoulders and it looked beautiful. Then I looked in the mirror at my hair now and I thought "what are you doing???!!!!!!", lol. I don't know, maybe I am brain washed to the world's standard of beauty, lol, but the picture sure looked better to me.

leentora
05-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you Leen for your encouragement!!!I love that blog, she has fantastic hair. I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer, but my problem is that I have been unable to style my hair in a way that is pleasing to me any longer. I am not defined by my hair, but i need for it to look attractive or else I don't feel right. And right now, i don't feel right. I think what also put me over the edge was over the weekend, I found a picture of myself before I started transitioning. My hair was long and full and straight and bouncing over my shoulders and it looked beautiful. Then I looked in the mirror at my hair now and I thought "what are you doing???!!!!!!", lol. I don't know, maybe I am brain washed to the world's standard of beauty, lol, but the picture sure looked better to me.

I understand where you are coming from, why not get braids using artifical hair, go get a nice style and leave it in for a few months and take oyur mind off your ctual hair.

Or better yet give yourself a nice flat iron maybe that way you will miss your curlies.

This is just my opinion but I think you should wait a little more or better yet not return to crack side :o

ac22ford
05-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Leen you are awesome!!!! ITA with everything you suggested. But whatever you decide Princess, I will still love you!!! You are not a failure! I think you have transitioned way longer than I did and that's a huge accomplishment in itself!!!! You have to do what makes you feel happy. But I have a feeling you will be back if you texlax ;)

PrincessRN
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Well, i was planning to go see my hairdresser today to discuss my relaxer and make an appointment......but i didn't go. I decided to take Leentora's suggestion and try straightening my hair again. So I washed and straightened tonight but it took a LOT of time and a LOOOOTTTT of heat. It looked O.K. when I finished. I pin curled it and put my satin bonnet on, but the real test will be if it stays straight tomorrow or reverts into a frizzy mess. AC and Leen, thanks for all your support. I am really going through it with my hair and you ladies are the best!

naomimaxine927
05-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Wow I missed a lot! Lol.

I hope your hair does not revert! It is okay to want to relax or texlax, I think all transitioners/naturals contemplate doing so, I know I did, just make sure you are comfortable with your decision.

Sidebar: Leen made some really great suggestions! Individuals/box braids really helped me during my transition. Even now when I feel like I need a break from my hair.

PrincessRN
05-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Wow I missed a lot! Lol.

I hope your hair does not revert! It is okay to want to relax or texlax, I think all transitioners/naturals contemplate doing so, I know I did, just make sure you are comfortable with your decision.

Sidebar: Leen made some really great suggestions! Individuals/box braids really helped me during my transition. Even now when I feel like I need a break from my hair.

Thanks Naomi! Do you find that your hair stays straight when you flat iron it or do you have problems with it getting puffy/reverting?

SassyStylist
05-21-2010, 10:36 AM
OK ladies, let me tell u abt texturizers vs texlax. The diff btwn the two is the application process only. There really is no such chemical as a "texturizer".
As a professional I feel obligated to tell u this.

Relaxers are either Sodium (no mix), Calcium (mostly seen in mix/ no lye), or Guanidine (some relaxers or rearrangers) but they're all hydroxides. The main ingredient in JFM Texture & Softener is... Calcium Hydroxide... (check the MSDS sheet on the Alberto website (msds.alberto.com/ATN/MSDS_US/DEFAULT/00247403.PDF) it's a no lye relaxer. This is the main ingredient in most no-lye relaxers you buy from the beauty supply store like Precise for example. The added sunflower oil (or any oil you add to a no lye relaxer at home like olive oil) slows the relaxer process and allows the chemical to work at a slower rate. The thing you should be concerned about with relaxing is the pH of the chemical which defines how alkaline (strong) the chemical is. The higher the pH, the more damaging the chemical. AND... here's the BAD part... this relaxer is 11.8-12.3 on the pH... hair's normal pH is 5.5 and bleach (as in Clorox) is a 13... you do the math. So although it say "for kids", with organics... etc... it's all marketing and advertising Ladies.

So if you plan on using it... proceed as you would if you were using a regular no-lye relaxer.

Depending on your hair natural texture & curl pattern and products you style ur hair with after the process... it CAN look like a jheri curl... LOL! Just being honest. Try Paul Mitchel Foaming Pomade... makes it look less "curly kit".

PrincessRN
05-21-2010, 05:24 PM
^^^Great information Sassy! I knew that a texturizer was still chemicals, but just to be clear are you saying that the main difference between a relaxer and a texturizer is that the texturizer has added oils in it to slow the process? Either way, I think I am going to skip the texturizer for now anyway, because with my luck, I will be the one who ends up with the jheri curl look, lol! If I decide to straighten, i will have my hair professionally relaxed again. This was very helpful.

PDuffey
06-27-2010, 12:42 PM
I would do tex-laxing

nooniebear
07-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi, I did a big chop 7months ago .Now I'm 100% natural but I've bin thinking about getting a texlax, will I still be consider natural?

PrincessRN
07-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Hi, I did a big chop 7months ago .Now I'm 100% natural but I've bin thinking about getting a texlax, will I still be consider natural?

Hi Nooniebear. Congrats on your BC and welcome to BHP!!!! To answer your question, if you texlax you will no longer be natural. Texlaxing is the same process as relaxing with chemicals, except when texlaxing, the chemicals are left on the hair for a shorter period of time. While texlaxing does not make the hair bone straight like relaxing, it still chemically and permanently alters the hair.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with texlaxing if that is what you decide to do. We have many texlaxed/relaxed ladies on this forum who have lovely hair as well as many naturals with beautiful hair. You will find support here, no matter if you are natural, texlaxed or relaxed. If you read through this thread you will see that I was very much on the fence about continuing to transition or to texlax/relax again. With the help of these ladies, I was able to make the decision that was right for me (I did not texlax and have since BC'd and am 100% natural now). It is a big decision, so please feel free to ask any questions you may have before you decide what to do.

rwayda
08-01-2010, 04:55 PM

Tex-laxing is a good idea! you must get a professional to do this type of procedure, to get the right results.

HairObsessed
08-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Just a thought.... you know that when you "texlax" your hair... you can go BLONDE without it being ravished? I did my highlights and let me tell you... my hair is STILL STRONG. If I relaxed that would not have been the case.

CreoleHonee91
08-06-2010, 05:51 PM
ive just discovered my tex-laxed locks and i love it!

my hair is healthier not only bc less chemical damage but less styling also, i can wash n go, wear it up in a pony/bun and when i do need to wear it straight just a blowout

PrincessRN
08-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Yaw'll stop all bragging on texlaxing and showing all of your pretty texlaxed hair before you make me jump on the band wagon, lol!!!

CreoleHonee91
08-07-2010, 01:31 PM
^^^ Sooooryyyy :o

dont get me wrong tho, I loved my hair when it was natural too it was 4a/b and soo fluffy and soft, the only thing that irked me was the SHRINKAGE loli guess another plus to textlax, keep texture and no more shrinkage (Opps!! I did it again!! :D)

HairObsessed
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
The POWER of a texturizer vs a relaxer. Same bob wash & go and flatironed. If I were natural this would NEVER be possible with my hair.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

HairObsessed
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Straight!

PrincessRN
08-08-2010, 07:19 AM
^^^ Sooooryyyy :o

dont get me wrong tho, I loved my hair when it was natural too it was 4a/b and soo fluffy and soft, the only thing that irked me was the SHRINKAGE loli guess another plus to textlax, keep texture and no more shrinkage (Opps!! I did it again!! :D)

That's just it Creole!!!! This shrinkage is killing me. Boy is it hard to deal with. I am trying to hang in there with this natural hair, but it better start behaving lol. I actually think I would love texlaxed hair though.

HairObsessed
08-08-2010, 09:43 AM
For me I have enough hair for this whole forum... it is BIG! So the texlax keeps my curl pattern but just defines it a bit more. I leave it in my hair for about 5min. I am super fast when applying to the roots sectioning with a color application brush with a rat tail end for parting. The whole proccess takes about 15min from mix to finish!

PrincessRN
08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
^^^ I know I could never get it in and out fast enough myself and I do not trust any stylist to do it right now. I have a girlfriend that I would probably trust to do it, but we live in different states now so that won't work.

CreoleHonee91
08-08-2010, 10:17 PM
I say do what u feel is best for u, either way as long as your hair is healthy you'll be fine =]

im going to try and add olive oil to my hair and leave the relaxer on a shorter time than usual and see what happens, this will be my first time doing it on purpose lol soo I hope it comes out ok

angel4603
08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Debating getting a texturizer: 6moths natural

PrincessRN
08-11-2010, 07:01 AM
I say do what u feel is best for u, either way as long as your hair is healthy you'll be fine =]

im going to try and add olive oil to my hair and leave the relaxer on a shorter time than usual and see what happens, this will be my first time doing it on purpose lol soo I hope it comes out ok

Good luck Creole! I read that oil does slow down the action of the relaxer. Let us know how it turns out.

dancerTJ
08-14-2010, 09:03 AM
nonibear, I have been texlaxed for a year now and I love it. it gives me a curliness to my hair, with more control over being natural.

zeeken123
12-04-2010, 07:53 PM
texturizer wins.

Moonlight02
12-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Where has this forum been all my life

Moonlight02
12-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Where has this forum been all my life

eyekandy22
04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
My virgin texturizer last year was awesome, but I always hear that trying to grow long hair and texturizing is difficult because of inconsistent results. I totally agree with that. First, I couldn't tell the difference between my texturized hair and natural hair when I did a re-touch, kinda guesstimated. I made a boo-boo by deciding to go over the previous parts for 1 minute. That 1 minute made all that hair drier, less kinky, and now have mild breakage :(
I'll be mixing oil in the relaxer next time, and maximum of 5 minutes on roots only.

PrincessRN
04-01-2012, 07:05 PM
My virgin texturizer last year was awesome, but I always hear that trying to grow long hair and texturizing is difficult because of inconsistent results. I totally agree with that. First, I couldn't tell the difference between my texturized hair and natural hair when I did a re-touch, kinda guesstimated. I made a boo-boo by deciding to go over the previous parts for 1 minute. That 1 minute made all that hair drier, less kinky, and now have mild breakage :(
I'll be mixing oil in the relaxer next time, and maximum of 5 minutes on roots only.

So sorry Eyekandy! I hope your hair recovers soon. When I was deciding to relax again, I was afraid of getting inconsistent results with texlaxing/texturizing. I surely didn't know how to do it right, and my stylist didn't have a clue about texlaxing so I ended up just deciding to bonelax. I am sure that you will become more accurate each time you re-touch :)

eyekandy22
04-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanx PrincessRN- I remember you were very helpful with me deciding to use chemicals again. I am upping my protein which will hopefully curb the breakage a bit. I love texturized hair better than relaxed or natural, it's just being careful with each touch-up, and I'm aiming for 2 texturizers a year.http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/108/1787/20121001/Texturizer+/ticker.png