View Full Version : Does itchy scalp mean hair is growing?

gladysocool
04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Is it true that when your scalp is itching that your hair is growing? Hope its true mine is itchy something crazy.

evanny
04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Is it true that when your scalp is itching that your hair is growing? Hope its true mine is itchy something crazy.

It usually means that the scalp is dry or there's product build up on the scalp. It could possibly mean that you're having a reaction to a product that you've used. That's not to say that some people don't experience itching with hair growth.

Vermelha
04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
You should experience "tingling" after doing things like brushing and oil massaging, but itching is not related to growth in any way. It just means that you have scalp buildup that needs to be removed or that you may have a dry scalp.

Dividir
04-07-2010, 02:31 PM
If my scalp is itchy I usually see it as wash time. Its is skin, and id any other part of my skin is itchy, I cleanse and moisturise. Remember most of your skin has follicles, so it cant be attributed to hair

treasure4ya
04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Now what if you do regular washes and you still have an itchy scalp?

Vermelha
04-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Now what if you do regular washes and you still have an itchy scalp?

You may just have a dry scalp. Reduce your washes, change your shampoo to something more natural/organic or co-wash (wash with conditioner). You can also do hot oil treatments. But itching, by no means, is attributed to growing hair...hair is growing anyway.

Bodybutter
04-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I also grew up hearing and believing the itch equals growth thing. I could not wait to get home today to shampoo with some tea tree conditioner!! My scalp was driving me crazy:eek: the second day after restarting my AVOCADO MIST moisturizing...

Transitionin Sista
04-09-2010, 07:47 PM

When my scalp starts itching its usually time for my hair to be washed and that it is dry.

classygyrl08
03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
love the feedback! im currently transitioning & have been oiling my hair & scalp to make the new growth softer & more manageable. Lately my scalp has been super itchy. after reading the various posts i realize that i may be overdue for a wash.

Eelite
03-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Itchy scalp means dry scalp, product build-up and its time to clarify.

Eelite
03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
As a matter of fact, I'm ready to pull my braids out because I'm itching so bad. I'm dying to wash my hair, because I'm accustomed to having a clean scalp.

LishaMarie
03-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Itchy scalp means dry scalp, a reaction to a product you are using or product build up. Sulfate base shampoos can be contributing to your itchy scalp since these shampoos are very drying to the hair, causes scalp scurf (dandruff, allergic retractions), and scalp irritations. Invest in sulfate free shampoos for hair cleansing. I also do an Aloe Vera treatment as a part of my weekly regimen. Aloe Vera is known to sooth and heal irritated skin. It works wonderful on the scalp if properly used.

Visit CurlyChic.com site to view aloe Vera treatment.

Brendita
04-10-2011, 06:08 AM
There's some wonderful advice here! I'd like to add my 2 cents, too ;-)

I would suggest that you not put any oils directly on the scalp. The pores in your scalp produce oil, just like the pores on your face. A gentle massage with your finger tips (not nails) will help to distribute this oil, so it can make it's way down the hair shaft. Natural, plant/nut oils are great for the hair, but I would suggest that you apply to your hair, not your scalp. I should clarify: It's OK to apply near the roots, but I don't think it's a good idea to oil your scalp. That may be a cause of the itching.

When I wore box braids, my scalp itched like CRAZY. That's because I used to oil my scalp (olive oil, avocado, coconut, etc). As soon as I stopped doing that, the itchies went away, I stopped getting buildup at the base of my braids and my hair was much healthier when it came time to unbraid. The same thing happened when I took my braids out: I used to oil my scalp on a pretty regular basis (because that's what my mother used to do). It seemed my scalp was ALWAYS itchy. I discontinued the scalp oiling and voila! No more itchy & scratchy head.

Good luck to you!

Eelite
04-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Well, I apply JBCO to my scalp/hair and my scalp don't itch. I cannot live without this stuff on my scalp, because I'm getting good results. Matter of fact, when I stopped using sulfate based shampoo, the itching has stopped completely. I do clarify once a month with Neutrgena Anti-Residue Shampoo. This contains the sulfates, but it does good on my hair and I have not experienced any problems thus far.

Eelite
04-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Oh! And stopped drinking regular milk. I think that was also contributuing to my scalp itching in the past.

NappyCali
04-10-2011, 03:12 PM
For some people it may meant that there hair is growing at a faster rate then what it normally grows. Other than that it is probably build up or dry scalp

Brendita
04-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Oh! And stopped drinking regular milk. I think that was also contributuing to my scalp itching in the past.

Completely unrelated question here, but: What are you drinking instead, Eelite? We (me, hubby and son) stopped drinking cows milk about 17 years ago. We replaced it with rice milk. I'm looking to expand my repertoire. I don't like soy milk, though. I tried almond milk and I kind of like it... A LOT. You?

Re: What is JBCO?