View Full Version : Dr. Oz on damaged hair

angel_hair
03-30-2010, 07:40 AM
According to Dr. Oz pureed bananas is the best treatment for over processed damaged hair. Puree the banana in a blender and let it sit on your hair for 15 minutes, and after a couple of treatments you should have healthier hair.

I will be trying this and updating w/ you guys.

evanny
03-30-2010, 07:41 AM
I've been using this even though I don't have damaged hair anymore. I use the banana baby food though. It's already pureed for you. :)

spiceberries
03-30-2010, 07:52 AM
hmmm.....might give it a try. I just ate a banana does that count too:p?

evanny
03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
hmmm.....might give it a try. I just ate a banana does that count too:p?

LOL!! :D No, it has to sit on your hair. But I'm sure your body appreciates the potassium. :)

hanna_light
03-30-2010, 08:09 AM
I definitely will try this.

spiceberries
03-30-2010, 08:35 AM
LOL!! :D No, it has to sit on your hair. But I'm sure your body appreciates the potassium. :)

Darn it.......oh okay i will try it over the weekend then:).

Mrs.Harrington
03-30-2010, 08:43 AM
I've been using this even though I don't have damaged hair anymore. I use the banana baby food though. It's already pureed for you. :)

How exactly does the banana food work for you? I have a few jars of baby food up in the cabinet :)

evanny
03-30-2010, 08:51 AM
^^^The baby food is easier to use IMO. It's so much easier to rinse out and apply onto the hair. You won't have to worry about banana chunks being left in your hair if the banana wasn't processed good enough.

Here's a small article on it from hairboutique.com:

The Egyptians and Romans must have been on the right track with their use of honey in their beauty recipes. My spa consultant informed me that honey is a fabulous natural moisturizer for hair and skin.

Bananas contain tryptophan, a rich amino acid that is known to be extremely beneficial for hair and skin. They are chock full of potassium which adds super softening properties to the hair shaft. Along with vitamins A, B, C and E bananas contain rich natural oils and carbohydrates. All these goodies shore up the natural elasticity of the hair and prevents split ends.

Besides all the softening and beautifying properties bananas smell wonderful. The aroma of bananas was found to be the most popular aroma in a study published in 1988. The trend continues for 2002.

Spas are the only ones that know about the great beauty benefits of bananas. The Taiwano Indians use heated extract of banana as regular softening scalp treatments.

I've been mixing my banana with carrot puree, honey, or various oils. I LOVE it!

ciara2624
03-30-2010, 12:15 PM
I saw that show yesterday. I am going to try it with the banana baby food instead because I was worried about having chunks of banana stuck in my hair.

angel_hair
03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
^^^The baby food is easier to use IMO. It's so much easier to rinse out and apply onto the hair. You won't have to worry about banana chunks being left in your hair if the banana wasn't processed good enough.

Here's a small article on it from hairboutique.com:

The Egyptians and Romans must have been on the right track with their use of honey in their beauty recipes. My spa consultant informed me that honey is a fabulous natural moisturizer for hair and skin.

Bananas contain tryptophan, a rich amino acid that is known to be extremely beneficial for hair and skin. They are chock full of potassium which adds super softening properties to the hair shaft. Along with vitamins A, B, C and E bananas contain rich natural oils and carbohydrates. All these goodies shore up the natural elasticity of the hair and prevents split ends.

Besides all the softening and beautifying properties bananas smell wonderful. The aroma of bananas was found to be the most popular aroma in a study published in 1988. The trend continues for 2002.

Spas are the only ones that know about the great beauty benefits of bananas. The Taiwano Indians use heated extract of banana as regular softening scalp treatments.

I've been mixing my banana with carrot puree, honey, or various oils. I LOVE it!

Thanks for HIJACKING my thread Evanny....thanks for the info. girlie.:)

angel_hair
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Honey tends to be sticky and fear is I won't get it all out. I am tempted to try it more and more. The bananas is a definite go this weekend. Imma do baby food as well.

Amina
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Honey is only sticky for a moment. The resistance to flow (it's viscosity) will be very low once u add water or simply body heat to it. I mix it in w/conditioners all the time. It creates shine and helps with moisture as well.

Safiyalovesyou
03-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I will def be trying this. I have some banana baby food in the cabinet. I'm sure my little cousin won't mind lol.

Safiyalovesyou
03-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Honey is only sticky for a moment. The resistance to flow (it's viscosity) will be very low once u add water or simply body heat to it. I mix it in w/conditioners all the time. It creates shine and helps with moisture as well.
Yeah. I love mixing honey in conditioners. It applies good and removes easily.

angel_hair
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Thank u Ms. Amina. I am lookin @ the Honey as I type gonna give it a go Friday night.

virtuouswoman
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I have used honey but not the Bananas yet...I don't really eat them but I brought some the other day maybe I could see if I could use them...

eyekandy22
03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Ditto to all the girls that said use baby food- I put mashed bananas in my hair once- that was a NIGHTMARE! to rinse out- worse than any other product/food in the world to rinse out- worse than rinsing eggs out of your hair with hot water. I am not a big food in hair person anymore- but I second the baby food.

evanny
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for HIJACKING my thread Evanny....thanks for the info. girlie.:)

You know how we do over here. We get side-tracked all of the time. :o (I'm the main one to get side-tracked most of the time) Sorry about that. But it was about bananas....:o

SHIRO
03-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Great.here comes another homemade hair stuff. cant keep my hands off such stuff**notes down**
will be trying it soon.Thanx Angelhair.

CherriPepsi
03-31-2010, 12:34 AM
I should buy banana baby food. DD doesn't have any- she on to eating bananas her great grandmother giver her.

Halibel
03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
coolness info

sageone
04-03-2010, 08:22 PM
sounds great

godiva
04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Funny, a couple of weeks before the Dr. Oz show, I told my aunts about using bananas in their hair (along with egg and some other stuff we talk about here) and I was getting the "yeah, right" looks. Then they saw this episode and wanted to run out and buy bananas. I couldn't resist an "I told you so".

miZZPortah
04-20-2010, 04:18 PM

I mix it w/my conditioners as well, honey is my hair's best friend. :)

Dividir
04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the info... weirdly enough I was just eating baby food...don't judge me!!!
I like the fruity kind...its like apple sauce, we don't get it over here