View Full Version : My hair breakage in the back [PHOTOS]

hayden.mp3
03-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I finally found my camera and was able to take pics of the breakage =/

the back
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hn11cl.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ef0vx1.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/4vg37r.jpg

this is the front on the side where it broke off. it's weird because it only did on one side, not both.
http://i44.tinypic.com/358t6vr.jpg

I don't know what to do anymore. I don't put any heat on it. I get my hair done every two weeks. In between the two weeks I only wrap it up at night and down in the morning.

Any suggestions?

Btw, it's not dirty, i had just put greece in my hair.

naomimaxine927
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
What products are you using to keep your hair moisturized in between salon visits? Do you wear your hair up?

hayden.mp3
03-09-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't really use any moisturizing products. My stylist gave me this greece type stuff that kinda stinks to put on the breakage. I don't wear it up. I wear it down.

naomimaxine927
03-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Not sure what caused the breakage... what are is the product and what are the ingredients?

hayden.mp3
03-09-2010, 06:26 PM
therapeutics rx : anti-itch & scalp treatment

godiva
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Without knowing that product but going by the name, it sounds like your focusing on the scalp and not the hair itself. In between salon visits, you need to make sure your hair stays moisturized. Also, do you put anything on your head after you wrap it, like a bonnet or scarf? The breakage could come from the placement and tension of these items.

Starr0581
03-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Are you tying your hair down with a silk or satin scarf? Maybe you may need to pay more attention to how much tension you're putting in that area, whether it's when you're tying your hair down or with styling. I noticed you said above that you're not using any moisturizing products. You may need to moisturize and seal your hair...especially focusing on your nape area. I am also almost positive that using castor oil in that area will help it grow back. Are you going through hormonal changes or stress? I remember having breakage in my nape area a few weeks after giving birth. Stress can also be a factor.

jusstoya
03-09-2010, 09:37 PM
My nape was like that too :( Have you tried castor oil? How often do you relax?

naomimaxine927
03-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Agree with Toya, how often you relax can contribute to hair damage. Sleeping on cotton pillows without a scarf or bonnet can damage hair too.

Bodybutter
03-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Keep your hair off your collars, avoid any tension in the area as you nurture your hair back to health with the offered suggestions. Make sure all shampoo is rinsed well from your nape area as well as relaxer if you relax.

SHIRO
03-10-2010, 01:54 AM
If you relax,do you start applying the relaxer from the nape all the time.This could contribut to the nape being processed for longer than the rest of the head,causing breakage.My hair is shorter at the nape too and am suspecting it was overprocessed coz my stylist always starts from there.Next time i retouch,am asking her to start from a different section.

angel_hair
03-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Hayden:

Welcome!!!

After looking at your GREAT pictures you have over processed your nape and temples. Check out this book Thinning Edges A Chemical Reaction by Kathy Howse. Sometimes when we think we need a touch up all we really need is a good moisturizing conditioner and some balm for our edges. Take it from me been there done that, and the only cure would be to stop relaxing or decrease the time you leave the chemicals on your hair, and base your hair really good before putting the relaxer on it.

You can try castor oil, minidoxil 2%, megatek, but the reality is you have to change your ways or you will just keep spinning your wheels.

angel_hair
03-10-2010, 10:44 AM
If you relax,do you start applying the relaxer from the nape all the time.This could contribut to the nape being processed for longer than the rest of the head,causing breakage.My hair is shorter at the nape too and am suspecting it was overprocessed coz my stylist always starts from there.Next time i retouch,am asking her to start from a different section.

Your correct it took awile for me to get this. Thank GOD I got it before the damage was perm. Good Luck.

hayden.mp3
03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I think it's a satin scarf and where can you buy castor oil?

I'm not going through hormonal changes and i'm stress free :)

I get it my hair washed & wrapped thursday so in another 2 weeks, i'll get a relaxer, then in another 2 weeks a wash & wrapp, etc. get it?

Is it possible for the nape area to grow as long as the other hair? I've only seen white girls and other races with long hair have the nape area long..

evanny
03-10-2010, 06:10 PM

I get it my hair washed & wrapped thursday so in another 2 weeks, i'll get a relaxer, then in another 2 weeks a wash & wrapp, etc. get it?

Is it possible for the nape area to grow as long as the other hair? I've only seen white girls and other races with long hair have the nape area long..

It most certainly is possible. If the hair is damaged, it won't grow or it will grow and just look dang nasty. lol (Not saying that your hair looks that way by any means!) Once the damage is corrected, your hair can and will thrive. Over processed hair is no fun. I would suggest stretching the relaxers a little longer than you normally do to give the hair a chance to breath as well as leaving the relaxer on for less time that you usually do. Also, how well do you base your scalp when relaxing? Do you coat the previously relaxed hair with a thick oil or a thick conditioner?

You can find regular castor oil at any grocery store in the laxative section. If you want Jamaican Black Castor Oil, you'll most likely have top order that online.

hayden.mp3
03-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I have no clue, I know she puts some stuff around my edges before she relaxes me.

I was wondering if it'd be ok if I just braid my hair (no weave) cause I have to start training for basketball. Is it ok to braid relaxed hair? Should I get it washed and conditioned then braided?

i dunno what to really do.

jusstoya
03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Maybe you can try stretching your relaxer longer than the 4 wks.

evanny
03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I have no clue, I know she puts some stuff around my edges before she relaxes me.

I was wondering if it'd be ok if I just braid my hair (no weave) cause I have to start training for basketball. Is it ok to braid relaxed hair? Should I get it washed and conditioned then braided?

i dunno what to really do.

I braid my relaxed hair all of the time. If that's what you want to do, then do IMO. I think some cute cornrows may help. Make sure to treat your hair accordingly when taking down the braids, so that you won't get breakage from the braids too.

angel_hair
03-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Yes and yours can be long too. You just have to re-educate yourself when it comes to hair care. Keep lurking around here or go to ehow, and read there. All is not lost and by this time next year you will be fine.

hayden.mp3
03-11-2010, 09:09 PM
If i keep my hair braided up for the summer and don't get any relaxers, will that hurt my hair? should i condition it every couple of weeks before i braid it up again? or should not put any chemicals in my hair just braid it up?

gah78
03-12-2010, 11:46 PM
You should try Baby dont be bald, to get it back growing... and Cantu Shea butter has a leave in break cure conditioning treatment... check out
yourbeautifulhair.com they have good prices

evanny
03-15-2010, 10:44 AM
If i keep my hair braided up for the summer and don't get any relaxers, will that hurt my hair? should i condition it every couple of weeks before i braid it up again? or should not put any chemicals in my hair just braid it up?

I definitely would take it down every couple of weeks to wash and condition it. Sometimes braids can leave stress on the hair. Your hair will need to be fortified to keep breakage and hair loss from the braids to a minimum. I think a couple protein treatments might be needed as well along with your moisturizing conditioning, to keep then hair strong. There are a lot of ladies that have used braids/cornrows to transition to natural.

ursayollia
03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
B&B Hair Serum, it is da bomb. I'm livin' proof, that stuff grows your hair back!!

blestb1tch
03-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Be careful how you are tying your scarf as the pressure on your nape are maybe contributing to the breakage, also moisture the are and seal as you do the rest of your hair and remember to deep condition and do occasional protein treatment. I hope this helps

ladylpk74
03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Great information.

cmalexander13
04-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I put this stuff in my hair called Wave Nouveau Coiffure and my hair came out and it looks just like yours. I have tried everything to get it to grow back does anyone know what I can do to help it grow back

evanny
04-20-2010, 08:34 AM
I put this stuff in my hair called Wave Nouveau Coiffure and my hair came out and it looks just like yours. I have tried everything to get it to grow back does anyone know what I can do to help it grow back

You'll have to baby that part of your hair. Moisturize and seal it daily with the utmost of care, being careful not to put stress on the hair that has broken. Make sure to keep up with your moisture and protein deep conditioning treatments too. A lot of us have used castor oil to seal our hair and have noticed a lot of turn-around with our hair. when my hair broke off, this is what I did to get it back.

chikiz
04-21-2010, 01:47 AM
I agree with Evanny. Castor oil helps in growing hair. The hairlines have the weakest hair which also receives the most manipulation and stress. These areas need to be cared for much more. Keep them moisturized even when in braids and keep your hands off them as much as you can. Stretch your relaxers by more than 4 weeks and have the edges relaxed last for the shortest time. Hairdressers tend to want to relax the edges longer so that they come out bone straight to impress you with their work. Make sure all the relaxer is washed out especially at the nape and completely neutralized. Otherwise it will eat away your hair at that area. Ask your hairdresser how she's going to do your hair and which products she's using. This is very important for you to know where she may be going wrong.

someil
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Prevent Hair Breakage Naturally
The hot oil treatment is one of the most popular methods used to prevent hair breakage. When performed once or twice weekly, this treatment will keep your hair supplied with enough moisture to protect your hair's bonds. Many stores offer pre-packaged hot oil treatments, but you can make your own home remedy using plant-based oils from your kitchen pantry. Pure vitamin E is also great. Simply break open a few gel caps and spread the liquid throughout your hair to effectively prevent hair breakage.

Prevent Hair Breakage by Revamping Your Hair Care Routine
Your hair care routine is, perhaps, the best and easiest place to look in order to prevent hair breakage. Mistakes in your hair care routine are often the reason for hair breakage. Some practical ways to prevent hair breakage include:

1. Washing hair two to three times weekly with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
2. Restricting the use of perms, dyes relaxers and other harsh chemicals. Dying or perming only once every 8-10 weeks is recommended to prevent hair breakage.
3. Choosing products with gentle ingredients such as guar gum and/or flaxseed.
4. Trimming hair regularly to discourage split ends.
5. Using a soft brush and/or a wide-tooth comb to groom your hair at least once daily.
6. Limiting the use of excessive heat. Only use hot blow dryers and curling irons when absolutely necessary.

prettigurl
04-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I have similar breakage in the back. I think it's from friction from my satin scarf. It's really thin and broken in the middle where I tie the knot :(

Siberia_McLean
05-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I have simailar problem too. I only oil my hair, and I also get it done every two weeks. My hair was pretty long and down to my shoulders then it started breaking. Then I changed hair stylists and it started growing, then it started breaking. Then I changed again and it was doing well then it started breaking then it grew now it's breaking.

She thinks that I may have a thyroid problem but I don't know. It's just weird how it roatates like that. My grandmother thinks that it was because I didn't get all the soap out of my hair. (I was tring to save money, and I started washing it myself.) But I don't know it's just really frustruating.

Bodybutter
05-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I finally found my camera and was able to take pics of the breakage =/

the back
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hn11cl.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ef0vx1.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/4vg37r.jpg

this is the front on the side where it broke off. it's weird because it only did on one side, not both.
http://i44.tinypic.com/358t6vr.jpg

I don't know what to do anymore. I don't put any heat on it. I get my hair done every two weeks. In between the two weeks I only wrap it up at night and down in the morning.

Any suggestions?

Btw, it's not dirty, i had just put greece in my hair.

Soooo, how is it going Hayden?

hayden.mp3
05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Alright ! I think it's growing... I think I'm posting pictures tomorrow !

How do you tell if it's growing or if it's breaking off?

leentora
05-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Alright ! I think it's growing... I think I'm posting pictures tomorrow !

How do you tell if it's growing or if it's breaking off?

Those areas should look as though they are filling in, so you should see more hair and less scalp.

ChanelButter
05-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I also had hair loss where the whole back of my head was gone! When i say gone, i meant all the relaxed hair was gone just the new growth left - it was like my head was telling me a message that it hated relaxed hair. This cued me to do the BIG CHOP and now i'm starting from afresh. wish me luck!

NFW_THA_QUEEN13
06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't use the stuff your stylist gave you especially if it stunk. I used Doo Gro Mega Thick Medicated Intense Repair a grease like item that you put on the scalp every day or every other day. This product TRULY WORKS because my hair grew back after suffering from hair breakage in the back and is even thicker like it says it would. You need this to save your hair from breakage!

https://www.gigibeauty.com/images/DooGRO/MG%20Intense%20Repair%201.jpg

munchy
06-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Go to the GNC store and get some PURE vitamin oil, and put them in your problem areas, and massage it into your scalp for about 10 minutes a day!!! That will help those areas !! Also when you wrap your hair , change the areas in which you put the knot!!

munchy
06-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't use the stuff your stylist gave you especially if it stunk. I used Doo Gro Mega Thick Medicated Intense Repair a grease like item that you put on the scalp every day or every other day. This product TRULY WORKS because my hair grew back after suffering from hair breakage in the back and is even thicker like it says it would. You need this to save your hair from breakage!

https://www.gigibeauty.com/images/DooGRO/MG%20Intense%20Repair%201.jpg

THIS STUFF IS THE BUSINESS:cool:

NFW_THA_QUEEN13
06-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I've learned that something called HYPOTHYROIDISM causes hair loss and here is a link to see the symptoms/risks. Personally I don't think you have it. I think it could be something that you used on your hair that you've just tried that is making break off. I just posted the link just in case you might know anyone else with this who you notice have the symptoms and for it to help benefit you.

Hypothyroidism Risk/Symptoms Checklist (http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/hypochecklist.htm)

babybooj
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM
i also have this problem!! don't feel bad. the castor oil should really help. i think it has helped be a little

sarahsmith
10-23-2010, 02:33 AM
ut your hair. If you really love the weave.

Ms Angel
10-23-2010, 04:53 PM
I also had hair loss where the whole back of my head was gone! When i say gone, i meant all the relaxed hair was gone just the new growth left - it was like my head was telling me a message that it hated relaxed hair. This cued me to do the BIG CHOP and now i'm starting from afresh. wish me luck!
I am goin thru that now, it started with what I thought was shedding but now I have a spot n the back of my head. I thought of cuttng it all off but I am so sad cuz I was really happy with the length after it was permed....can I save my hair or do I have to start over

Queenp001
10-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I had breakage at the back too! I wish I had pictures to show you but I dont. I bought myself home health castor oil and applied to the area once every other day. then sprayed the area with a mixture of infusium 23 and water. that area now 7 months l8r the hair touches my back! hth good luck!

blackcurl
10-25-2010, 05:16 PM
I had the same problem, After washing my hair I rubbed my scalp with aloe vera gel - great skin healer- then I massaged with castor oil weekly, (I use Virgin cator oil now). I also wore my hair up and I'd add a silky headband from time to time to protect my nape, I avoided wearing hats with hard edges that might dig into my nape, tied my scarf at the front at night, I also put braids in the back to protect it whilst it grew. Yes I did every protective thing I could think of! It worked for me my hair is growing now, you might want to try

xrainbowmarkersx
11-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I've heard castor oil really helps

gkeenan
11-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Keep your hair off your collars, avoid any tension in the area as you nurture your hair back to health with the offered suggestions. Make sure all shampoo is rinsed well from your nape area as well as relaxer if you relax.

This, when my hair broke off like that (years ago) it was because my hair was rubbing against my collar and coat. Pull your hair up when you leave the house. I often keep it in a protective style all day long if I have a collar.

Good luck!

Going-Natural.com
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM
This looks horrible. The cause may also be stress. Your post was over a year ago. What changed did you make and how is your hair now?

shaginlor25
11-17-2010, 07:30 PM
hey,

i think hair breakage can be caused by a number factors

- poor diet
- friction 9hair rubbing against your clothing)
- scalp problems
- certain medication
- DHT- a hormone responsible for hair loss- generated by stress
- stress and tension on the hair- tight braids etc

For me, sometimes my scalp, particularly at the nape, itched badly and i get little bumps. i went to the doctor and he gave me an antibiotic ointment to rub on it.

If your problem is isolated (meaning only 1 spot in your scalp) then you should seek medical advice if the problem persists.

There are some general home remedies that can be used for hair loss

products with nettle is great for combattig hairloss...additionally you could make in infusion with nettle tea and use it in your final rinse

rosemary if great for hair loss

coconut oil is also great for hair loss.....

good luck :)

needamiracle
11-17-2010, 09:34 PM
do you sleep with a satin bonton on at night?

jmarie
01-20-2011, 07:10 AM
I had the same problem it was the scarfs. I relax the nape and hairline for only 5 minutes now, and I stopped wearing a scarf when I wrap my hair. I started wearing a bt spandex dome cap, its like a wig cap, it isn't tight, and I don't sleep wild so it stays on all night. I noticed my hair getting thicker after a couple of months, because I'm not tying a tight scarf on my edges.

arjhay101
02-07-2011, 08:22 AM

It's really true that not rinsing your shampoo well is one of the many causes in hair loss. I have experience that one but I also found an immediate remedy for that.

jturner7156
05-28-2011, 01:12 AM
It's the wrapping that's causing this. When you wrap your hair at night in whatever direction and put your scarf on, there is tension rubbing up against your hair follicles every night for 6 - 8 hours causing breakage (that's why it's so close to your scalp). Therefore, you may want to stop wrapping for a while and see if things change. This very thing happened to me so now I'm switching things up for a while.

seaspa
05-28-2011, 03:34 AM
I suggest you to always use natural products for hair moisturizing which not only are helpful in improving quality of your hair but also are good for making your hair look natural..