View Full Version : How long should you keep your hair in braids????

Curlgenie
02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Hey guys I was thinkin of getting braids like medium singles but I was wondering how long you keep them in for??

And if you keep them in for longer what do you do to maintain your braids? How do u wash without making the hair look messed up??!! Thanks

CherriPepsi
02-03-2010, 11:48 PM
No more than 2 months or however long it takes for them to get ratty. Washing them is tricky. You can keep your braids oiled while using sea breeze on your scalp or you can use a dry shampoo for your braids.

SHIRO
02-04-2010, 03:45 AM
may be until you notice new growth under where the braid is attached.Then again this depends on individuals- i keep mine for longer than 3 months s'times and just retouch the edges.As for maintenance,wash them and use african best braid sheen spray.

Curlgenie
02-04-2010, 07:32 AM
No more than 2 months or however long it takes for them to get ratty. Washing them is tricky. You can keep your braids oiled while using sea breeze on your scalp or you can use a dry shampoo for your braids.

Ok then yer I guessed washing would be tricky itl probly take me a while, bt wen I gt braids I don't think il mess with them too much ovawise il look like a hot mess lol

Curlgenie
02-04-2010, 07:38 AM
may be until you notice new growth under where the braid is attached.Then again this depends on individuals- i keep mine for longer than 3 months s'times and just retouch the edges.As for maintenance,wash them and use african best braid sheen spray.

I always thought that my hair was comin loose rather than new growth bt il look out for that. Yer I will purchase africas best spray I think my mum has used that before. Thanks :o

Sharii16
02-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeahh . I Say About 2 Months Also . But Its Always Lower For Me Because I Always Want To See My Results .

naomimaxine927
02-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah I agree 2 months, I think the longest I ever kept braids in was three months, but I washed them and everything lol.

But for some people 3 months is normal. So it's up to you really.

virtuouswoman
02-05-2010, 02:55 PM
African Braid Spray is awesome, I used to wear braids and I loooovvveed it!

Curlgenie
02-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah I agree 2 months, I think the longest I ever kept braids in was three months, but I washed them and everything lol.

But for some people 3 months is normal. So it's up to you really.
Ok thanks that a good amount of time I will see hw long mine will last. The last time i had braids I was young so I really recall hw well my hair stood up with braids all I remember is they were itchy n I hated then lol:scared:

Yeahh . I Say About 2 Months Also . But Its Always Lower For Me Because I Always Want To See My Results .

Thanks sharii 2months seems to be an average at the moment bt I think I'd probli b like u n take them out just to see how much my hair has grown lol :D

African Braid Spray is awesome, I used twear braids and I loooovvveed it!

yes everyone rates this spray I will invest definateli :)!!!

Sharii16
02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks sharii 2months seems to be an average at the moment bt I think I'd probli b like u n take them out just to see how much my hair has grown lol :D

I Know ! I Laugh At Myself Sometimes . But I Hope You Have Happy Time Growing And Come With Great Results !

Curlgenie
02-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks sharii I hope I gt good results just doing sum homewrk before I gt them all I gt to do is decide on the hair n it ago lol

philly2va
03-14-2010, 11:56 PM
I would say about 2 months but it depends on the person,preference, hair type, and more importantly maintenance. If you wash, condition your hair every week or 2 you will get more wear out of your braids. Me personally I keep them in for 2 months at a time then take them out and get them done again but could stay in longer or less if you get bored w/ the style

Curlgenie
03-15-2010, 07:07 AM
i have my hair in teh braid now for almost a month and the growth spurt that ive had is ridiculus so i plan to take them out in a dew weeks otherwise i will look a mess :)

manepath
03-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm new to this, but I usually keep my braids in for two months.

I have a question,

How long is too long before hair starts to break off in braids? Also, is deep conditioning necessary or even possible when braiding with extensions?

angel_hair
03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
It's a personal choice however when your hair starts to smell it's time to let the braids go and rest in peace.

Curlgenie
03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Yer I think when the braids start to look a mess or it starts to smell if you are not washing whilst you have braids in then I think it's time to take them out !!!!

Halibel
03-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I am so trying to get my hair braided next week by a friend. (she better not flake on me lol) I haven't worn braids in YEARS. lol

Starliante
03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
for my 6-7 weeks
i dont wash em..
cuz i dont use nething to make up get too much build up
jus moisturize like every other day. and seal like once a a week
just keepin fresh
make sure they dont smell.

Dividir
03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
As long as the don't look too rough. I could do 2-2.5 months or more

I try to wash mine, so the smell thing doesn't really affect me

Sometimes /i redo the front ones and the edges to keep them looking neat

Halibel
03-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes! I am getting my hair braided tomorrow....yay! Now I dun have to worry about styling it for the next month or so.

marchoftheblackqueen
03-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Yes! I am getting my hair braided tomorrow....yay! Now I dun have to worry about styling it for the next month or so.

Lucky! I'm starting to miss my weaves for that very reason.

Halibel
03-24-2010, 06:19 PM
LMAO! Awww, TB. Why don't you get one installed then? :(

Curlgenie
03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I miss my braids already it is just soooo easy when u have braids in

marchoftheblackqueen
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
LMAO! Awww, TB. Why don't you get one installed then? :(

I plan to for the summer, wish I could do it now but people would look at me funny if I suddenly had long hair one day :rolleyes:

virtuouswoman
03-25-2010, 12:01 AM

Hali, we want to see pics!!!

Curlgenie
03-25-2010, 05:46 AM
What kind of braids u geting Hal ???

Halibel
03-26-2010, 03:38 PM
I plan to for the summer, wish I could do it now but people would look at me funny if I suddenly had long hair one day :rolleyes:

LMAO!!! long hair over night....why don't you just get your weave the same length as your real hair then. I am sure they wont notice

Hali, we want to see pics!!!

Okay, I will post pics after im finish gettin my hair done. Started yesterday...but still only half way done LOL!

What kind of braids u geting Hal ???

I am getting individuals done...but I told my friend to cornrow the middle of my head to cut the time of installing them in and for me taking them out later on. So far we only half way done..gonna finish later today. :D

What kind of braids u getting?

Curlgenie
03-26-2010, 04:17 PM
[COLOR="Green"]I am getting individuals done...but I told my friend to cornrow the middle of my head to cut the time of installing them in and for me taking them out later on. So far we only half way done..gonna finish later today. :D

What kind of braids u getting?

awww that's a good idea to get conrows to half the time!!! :) I already had individuals in like you but I took them out after 5-6 weeks. I've put my hair in braids again bt w/o extentions so itl be easy for me to redo them w/o messing my hair up. Woop wana see these pics :)

Transitionin Sista
04-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey guys I was thinkin of getting braids like medium singles but I was wondering how long you keep them in for??

And if you keep them in for longer what do you do to maintain your braids? How do u wash without making the hair look messed up??!! Thanks

Keeping braids in past two months can sometimes cause breakage. Washing them will however loosen them after the 2nd wash. This is what I experienced. I believe each person is different.

acgn
04-07-2010, 06:48 AM
on avarage i keep mine in 8 to 10 weeks, just had a set of new ones done 3 weeks on sunday. desperate to wash them now. normally wash them every fortnight because i can't stand the smell, sleep with them covered, hopefully moisturise them regularly never remembered to until scalp was very itchy. having been keeping up with moistrising since joining BHP need to start locking moisture with oil though. hope to keep that up. never have problems with them when i take them off, its only after taking them out that not moisturising catches up with me...the breakage, the breakage, the breakage......... this time i'm gonna do better.....even put notes in my room as reminder..lol

helpmyhairplz
05-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Ok this might sound yucky but I keep my braids in for 1 month and 1/2 I dont wash it or anything just oil my scalp. I find that if I don't bother my hair I see more growth and when I take the braids out then I wash and deep condition etc. I've been doing this for about a year now and My hair has grown. I know some people say that not washing your hair makes your hair not grow but this method has been working for me and I love the results!

eyekandy22
09-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I keep them in until I feel I've got my money's worth, which is 2.5 months, and they start looking a bit messy. I shampoo once a week, and I was using shea butter on my scalp for a while, which caused buildup. Now I try to use a braid spray daily- I wish I could DC, but it usually takes forever to rinse out.

naomimaxine927
09-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Lately 6 weeks seem to be my max, because I start missing my hair. I've kept braids in for 3 months before lol.

eyekandy22
09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
I've had mine in for 5 weeks, but I'm getting tired of them. When I have braids or weaves my haircare starts out great, then I stop shampooing every week, stop wearing my satin scarf at night, stop moisturizing daily, and I don't DC. So now I'm worried about my hair, may need to go back to half wigs soon.

eyekandy22
10-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah! My braids are coming out tomorrow :) It was a great style in the beginning, but I'm ready to go back to my DCing and regular shampoo schedule. Miss my hair.

Ms_Special
11-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm keeping my two-strand twists in for two months. I use S-curl to moisturize and coconut oil to seal every night. Every week I'll use either seabreeze or dry shampoo to clean my scalp and I apply Jamician black castor oil once my scalp is clean!~

naomimaxine927
11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm going to braid this weekend, and won't keep them in past 2 months. I know for sure they're stying in for at least a month though.

I probably will make a leave in, and spray my braids daily, and wash every 2 weeks, oil scalp with jbco, and probably will redo a few braids. I hate when they look loose.

shaginlor25
11-17-2010, 07:45 PM
hey,

I've recently embarked on this challenge to wear my hair in braids extensions for 1 year. i keep the braids in for 2 months at a time. when i take them down i wash and d/c then put them back in. I started this in sept.12 2010.

So far its going pretty well.

I think one major problem faced with when wearing braids for a long period of time is tangles/matting...i combat that by washing my "scalp" twice a week making certain not to manipulate my hair in the braids.
I squeeze my hair with a towel to get raid of the excess water . then i apply a apple cider vinegar solution with a spray bottle lightly after which i apply my braid home made spray.

Braid home made spray
1 table spoon tresseme conditioner- i use anti breakage but u could could use anyone of your choice
1 table spoon glycerin
1 tablespoon any leave-in conditioner of your choice

I mix this is about 2 cup s water in a spray bottle and spritz this on my hair and let air dry.

Whenever my hair feels dry i spray some of this on my hair. when i take my braids down from using this concoction, my hair was very moisturized and conditioned.

At bedtime i wrap my braids in a satin scarf. this also prevents the braids from drying out and tangles.

Try it and see if it works for u.

Another thing i want to mention is...periodically i would check my braids to see if any is getting tangled i would take it down untangle it and put it back in....

so this is basically what i do ....i hope i can hold out until sept. 12 2011...i miss my natural hair already...wish me luck...

much luv.... :)

ngozi
08-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I usually keep in for 1 month because I get to excited and want to see results.

wendolyn
08-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I am hoping that someone can help me find a braider in the Atlanta. My long time braider had to relocate out of the country. She was excellent and her price was very resonable. I wear individual tree braids around my perimeter and traditional tree braids in the center of my hair. She did not braid my hair too tight. She did not have the big ugly bumps connecting my hair. My hair has grown tremendously. It is all natural. She was full service. She took my braids out and washed and condiitoned my hair.

She respected my time and booked appointments. If I stayed at the shop all
day, it was because she was working on my hair.

I exercise in the mornings before I go to work. Having my hair braider like this is a great time saver and I can go to work and look professional.

Yes, I realized that I was truly blessed. I am one of three of her customers that wore this style trying to find a braider.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

This is my first post, I am a new member.:

findingthebalance302
12-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I am currently wearing braids right now *braided extensions*

I plan to wear them for 2 months but i co wash and deep condition every week, hot oil treatment once a month. i also do low manipulation while its in the braided extension. i only manipulated once a week when its wash time to refresh the braids. i also wear a satin scarf to bed and i spritz my hair with rosemary water every morning and seal that with aloe Vera oil and at night i moisturise with herb infused olive oil that i make myself. i shampoo once a month or month and a half with shampoo i make myself. so far for 3 months i have had abt 2 1/4 inches of new growth. all this will be posted on my youtube site if anyone is interested (youtube name --findingthebalance302--) if you have no braided extensions then there wud be no need to refresh your braids every week then:D.

purphant
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I've been wearing my kinky twists since the first week of July 2011. I got them done professionally back in July, and I've redoing them on my own since then. I've probably done the whole head at least once. They're not so bad. But the ends on this synthetic hair are getting tired, it's probably time for a new pack (I don't think I can bring myself to fork over the $200 to get them redone. I'm a student on a budget). My routine is with each twist I take out, I spray my natural hair with a water/glycerin mixture and then seal the ends with blue magic and then re-twist. I wash once a month because I find washing more often, leaves my hair very dry. I'm not seeing the length retention that I'd like. Any advice?

lulu0916
05-11-2012, 05:47 PM
I keep my braids in on a average of 3 1/2 months

Curlgenie
05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
I keep my braids in on a average of 3 1/2 months

thats quite a while how do you maintain your hair mine look frizzy as sheep when mines in over the month mark geee

mia1487
07-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Well i keep mine in for 6months, sometimes i can go a year..but see i retouch my braids every 2months or so(meaning i redo a couple here and there if i see new growth). I do my own braids so if i see they need retouching i do them myself. Also never wear your braids too tight, they say that causes hair loss. I've worn braids for 8yrs now, and i have never received hair loss from my method, in fact my hair grows longer after i take down my braids(to totally redo my whole head)
I wash my hair regularly(like i always do even without braids) i use Giovanni Smooth As silk conditioner and i use regular Head and Shoulders Shampoo..I wash my hair every 2weeks(remember conditioner is important) even though your braids are protecting your hair you still MUST condition. Giovanni is the best conditioner i've found for natural 4b hair. When i take down each braid(to redo) i typically use water/coconut oil and(if i have the money i get the Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in) otherwise i just use water and coconut oil

My hair is natural, i dont use relaxers, but when i first put on my braids, i do straighten my hair a bit either with a hot comb or using blowdrying straightening method, so that it is easier to part my hair and make my braids..my hair(without braids) is a bit past my shoulders, i dedicate my hair growth to my braids honestly. I still wear braids btw. Mostly because its less maintenance to deal with. And it keeps my natural hair protected

By about 1yr i notice it is time to redo my whole head(meaning take them all down) and i do my own hair so it's inexpensive for me.
but generally even before that year comes i still get compliments on my hair...so yea my method has worked, at least for me so far
The thing i love about braids is, it's LOW MAINTENANCE, i dont always have to put oil or leave in conditioner in my hair etc. I dont have to Deep Condition..(IF i do want to DC i would do that maybe once a month..but as i said i wash my hair every 2 weeks WITH a REALLY good conditioner that i leave in for 30min and then wash) so that is good. I can also just go to sleep with my braids, dont have to wrap my hair(well about the 1st month you would because the braids are kinda stiff) but after that nope, it's
When you wash your braids MAKE SURE that you squeeze your braids as much as possible to get all of the residue from conditioner or shampoo out.

jorda13456
01-07-2013, 03:04 PM
My friend leaves in for 4 months. 2 months is fine

BoredomJunkie
06-09-2013, 09:50 PM
I try not to keep any style in for more than 2 months. When I go longer it starts looking like something out of a horror movie. I wash my braids every 2 weeks while wearing a mesh cap and use dry shampoo between washes.

Surfthwave4
09-13-2013, 12:17 AM
I would not leave the braids in for anymore than 2 1/2 months because this risk the hair becoming too difficult to take down. All of that buildup of dandruff gets in twin in the hair and becomes hard, then they have to separate it from the braids. Just make it easy on yourself and take it off after 2 months.

syd
10-04-2013, 02:46 PM
I usually keep them in until they start getting really frizzy.

znextdesigns
10-30-2013, 09:54 PM
I would say no more than 2 - 2 1/2 months. After that I would take the braids out and give my head a good wash before restyling.

ch1
11-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I think the coilier your natural is the more often you have to remove or redo them. I agree with 2 months. I'm 4b & 4c so thats def: true for me.

My daughter (teenager!) on the other hand has 3b hair and has gone 3 months with barely washing it, and had moderate tangles. :rolleyes:

catgoines1
11-22-2013, 06:50 PM
a good product for your daughters hair type is sulfate free shampoo and sheabutter hair grow oil which this company called Nu-Gro hair products sell. It will work for her.

catgoines1
11-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Just as a reminder they have a lot of diffrent products to choose from to maintain healthy hair.

rohanjain
04-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Braids is a way to protect your hair and is used to help grow you hair.You should keep your hair in braids at least two months.

ch1
05-05-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm going for 3 months now but that's because I've been redoing a few braids each day . Hoping to see a minimum of 1inch gained when I remove them altogether.

chatteringchief
10-02-2014, 08:58 PM
youtube is very helpful when you want to learn new braids. I practice with my daughter's hair while watching it on youtube.