View Full Version : How to get salon results at home

kCurious
01-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Is it the products they use
The tools
Technique

How do you achieve salon hair at home? By salon hair i mean sleek and bouncy hair that stays sleek and bouncy for a week without getting dry or frizzy. The type of hair you just wrap at night and unwrap in the morning.

ac22ford
01-16-2010, 02:41 PM
I always thought it was a combo of tools, techniques, and products.
The only salons I've ever been to were the Cape Verdeans and Dominicans and it seems as though their practices were not the healthiest with all that heat.

Dividir
01-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I think we should convert this thread into people dropping their knowledge on how to do the salon techniques, because we've all seen the tools... because I need some of those results in my dorm room!!!

Ms. Bing
01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
I think the products play a very big part

Amina
01-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Some products, but having the skill of knowing how to assess the hair and give it what it needs when it needs it is vital. If u can tell what the hair needs and how to repair and restore its bounce, elasticity, moisture, etc. you will be able to achieve "salon" hair at home imo.

kCurious
01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I always thought it was a combo of tools, techniques, and products.
The only salons I've ever been to were the Cape Verdeans and Dominicans and it seems as though their practices were not the healthiest with all that heat.

i saw a youtube video on the Dominican's techniques and it scared me.

kCurious
01-17-2010, 02:41 PM
when i go to the salon the stylist shampoos my hair
Add conditioner and rinses
She then add setting lotion or leave in
Wraps the outer portion of my hair and roller sets the crown portion
After drying under the hooded dryer she un-wraps my hair/ flat iron and the results are amazing

When i do my hair at home: i wash/deep condition for 30 min under a hooded dryer/set/ and the results are (blah) unless i have a fresh relaxer.

I just wonder; what can i do or what im I not doing.

kCurious
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Some products, but having the skill of knowing how to assess the hair and give it what it needs when it needs it is vital. If u can tell what the hair needs and how to repair and restore its bounce, elasticity, moisture, etc. you will be able to achieve "salon" hair at home imo.

I really need to work on identifying the needs of my hair b/c apparently there's more to it then just washing and deep conditioning.

leentora
01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
It is a combo of both tools and products.

I have achieve the dominican look without all the heat, just do a smooth and neat rollerset and then take out the rollers and wrap the hair neatly and smoothly to your head and tie down with a scarf and in the morning you comb down the hair, you have that sleek, smooth look that will lasts you for a week until your next wash day.

Having lasting flowing curls, is how you rollerset, having beach waves is how well the hair is detangled and then twirl up over night, the list goes on.

BUT practice makes perfect!

miZZPortah
01-17-2010, 02:59 PM
To maintain the rollersets I get at the salon I sleep in a satin cap rather than wrapping my hair with my scarf. To moisturize my hair I spritz in leave in conditiner and oil sheen and try not to touch my hair so much, eventually I lose my curls from sleeping but I seem to be able to keep my curls for a longer period of time using this method. It's times like these when I wish I didn't have to sleep in order to keep my 'do! :)

ac22ford
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM

I have achieve the dominican look without all the heat, just do a smooth and neat rollerset and then take out the rollers and wrap the hair neatly and smoothly to your head and tie down with a scarf and in the morning you comb down the hair, you have that sleek, smooth look that will lasts you for a week until your next wash day.

Having lasting flowing curls, is how you rollerset, having beach waves is how well the hair is detangled and then twirl up over night, the list goes on.

That sounds nice! I wonder if it would work when I'm au naturale??

kCurious
01-18-2010, 09:57 AM

I will my best to improve my roller setting techniques on my next wash day b/c i really do not wantto make a salon visit. My sister in law's a stylist but she's known for giving big chops.

hanna_light
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM

I've never been able to achieve that salon look but then again I never assessed my hair to really see what it needed, perhaps now I'll pay attention.