View Full Version : How Much Breakage?

Vermelha
01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
How much breakage are you getting?

Some of us are very meticulous about hair care when we see the slightest bit of broken hair. Others may be dealing with more serious breakage issues and may not know the best remedy.

What products or techniques cause your hair more breakage? This is one of the first steps to identifying that one has a hair care issue, and a big step towards fixing our hair care problems.

ac22ford
01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I seem to notice more breakage when I leave my hair alone for too long. For example, when I try to make a braidout or knotout last more than a day and I finally go to wash and detangle, yikes! I find a lot in my comb. What's weird is sometimes if I do too much to my hair I will see breakage as well. This might be more of a transition issue more so than my overall hair issue.

If my hair isn't well moisturized, it will also cause a lot of breakage. Same with not protecting my hair at night. . . breakage. I just have to find that happy medium where I'm not over-manipulating, but also not letting my hair run wild. I think braiding at night and taking my time when detangling minimizes my breakage.

When my hair was straight last week, I saw minimal breakage, especially when I went to wash it.

evanny
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
^^^Same here. If I don't detangle for a while, my hair hates me. Bantu knot outs cause terrible tangles in my hair if I wear them for a couple days. I've noticed that a quick protein treatment/reconstructor snaps my hair back into shape. I think I over moisturize sometimes and that's why it's always protein that helps.

transitioningbutterfly
01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Well to a novice like me, even if I see one tiny strand that counts as breakage for me:scared: However, thanks to this forum a I now know a little breakage is expected.

I see breakage when I leave my roller sets in too long (2 days) I have yet to a protein treatment. Look forward to Aphogee. Also, if I lack in the moisture area it pops right off.

marwa
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
hi girl i thing most my hair is fall down i have breakage shedding and split end because relaxed my hair .and i didn't use to relaxed before. i use shampoo my be is not good for my hair type i used alma oil and henna is breakage my hair and hair food . sorry a'm not speak english

Bodybutter
01-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I've noticed breakage when I try some fantastic new product-the Wajiid stuff comes to mind:rolleyes:. I need to learn to leave well enough alone, stick to my boring but works well products and call it a day.

HairObsessed
01-15-2010, 06:28 PM
I do bantu dry knot outs and I have to be careful with styling them with anything other than my fingers or lots of hair comes out.

miZZPortah
01-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Wearing my hair down while wearing my wool coat causes snags and ultimately breakage (I know I should know better) and also wrapping my hair (in circular motion) around my head and tying it up causes tender spots and breakage in my hair. Since I am getting roller sets mostly nowadays I just wear my satin bonnet.

virtuouswoman
01-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Wearing my hair down while wearing my wool coat causes snags and ultimately breakage (I know I should know better) and also wrapping my hair (in circular motion) around my head and tying it up causes tender spots and breakage in my hair. Since I am getting roller sets mostly nowadays I just wear my satin bonnet.

when i wrap my hair i use my bonnet, or i tie my hair really low so its not on my hair even though its not comfortable lol

denalove
01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
yea, when I don't detangle, like If I wear the bun for a few days and don't moisturize or detangle, big time breakage occurs...
Sometimes stretching causes breakage for me as well...

virtuouswoman
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
yea, when I don't detangle, like If I wear the bun for a few days and don't moisturize or detangle, big time breakage occurs...
Sometimes stretching causes breakage for me as well...

my last stretch was the longest and i did see some breakage so, i had to do somethings to help keep the moisture in...

denalove
01-15-2010, 09:16 PM
my last stretch was the longest and i did see some breakage so, i had to do somethings to help keep the moisture in...

That's exactly what I had to do..add more moisture to my regimen when stretching!

Vermelha
01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
That's exactly what I had to do..add more moisture to my regimen when stretching!

I like your new avi by the way :D. I wish I incorporated more moisture while I was transitioning. Boy, transitioning dry hair was HARD!

denalove
01-16-2010, 08:38 AM
I like your new avi by the way :D. I wish I incorporated more moisture while I was transitioning. Boy, transitioning dry hair was HARD!

Thanks, V! I have truly learned my lesson about neglecting to put that extra dose of moisture in...i can only imagine the task when transitioning!

nuBUN princess23
01-19-2010, 08:18 AM
i notice breakage when i just begin to slack off on my reggie period.. not tying my hair down or moisturizin and sealin like i should major breakage... so in 2010 im stickin to my reggie and even tryin to do a 4 month strecth which i never done (the most was 3 months) so im listening to v and dena im makin sure there is lots of moisture i already see lots of new growth