View Full Version : washing hair after relaxers

kara
06-22-2008, 03:11 AM
I usually wait a week before I wash my hair after a relaxer. How long is the proper time...and how long do you wait?

Dividir
06-22-2008, 03:58 AM
I try to co-wash my hair every week. SO i guess you and me are in the same boat. But the last time I relaxed was nearly 10 weeks ago, and I only started the co-wash weekly thing around about the same time.

Do what ever suits you, but make sure the relaxer is out and properly neutralised on the day, or it will cause breakage.

jasnian0313
06-22-2008, 08:22 AM
yea i try to wait a week before i wash my hair but the last relaxer i got i waited three days before i started cowashing my hair again

The Anti Hair Slave
06-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I never really thought it matter as long as your aren't rough with your hair. But I normally wait at least four days

sskelsey
06-23-2008, 11:34 PM
I usually wait a week before I wash my hair after a relaxer. How long is the proper time...and how long do you wait?

It is recommended that you wait at least a week.

kita
06-24-2008, 05:37 AM
I wait at least a week. I am don't understand co-wash. Where did it come from? If you co-wash how can you clean your hair? Have anyone seen any difference since co-washing? How often do you co-wash? Do you use special conditioners or any conditioner? I have lots of questions about co-washing.

Dividir
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I wait at least a week. I am don't understand co-wash. Where did it come from? If you co-wash how can you clean your hair? Have anyone seen any difference since co-washing? How often do you co-wash? Do you use special conditioners or any conditioner? I have lots of questions about co-washing.

It is mostly trhe water that washes your hair. If you have oily hair or alot of product buildup I would suggest you wash your hair with shampoo.

My hair is clean after I do a co-wash, but then again, I co-wash every week (well I try to) so my hair isnt diry int the first instance.

Co-washing is pretty much washing your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. I find it stops my hair from drying our as conditioner isnt as harsh as shampoo, and it is more moisturerising.
My new-growth seems more managable. And I just use any old moisturising conditioner.

jasnian0313
06-25-2008, 01:23 PM

With myself I have noticed a difference since I started cowashing...my hair just seems more resilient and healthier...I seem to be retaining length too. but i was concerned about how clean my hair could be but since my hair has been liking the cowashes so much i havent stopped it but i just make sure that i clarify with baking soda and my regular shampoo and it seems to be working well

leentora
08-06-2008, 09:00 AM
I must agree, I was like what? :eek: when I first heard about co-wash I thought that can not be clean or good for the hair, but it is very good and it help with the moisture and feel of hair.

It's the same with pre-poo - is nurturing to the hair and definately thumps up on softeness and moisture sealant too., and gurl I now love doing this, I only plan on using my shampoo once a month an may mix them with something, as they are Keracare and I am not just throwing them out lol.

CREODiiVA
08-06-2008, 11:19 AM
yea i try to wait a week before i wash my hair but the last relaxer i got i waited three days before i started cowashing my hair again

what kind of relaxer do you have ?
My mom always lecture Me about Wahing
"AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR" :D
SOOOOOO Funny lol

jasnian0313
08-07-2008, 05:11 PM
what kind of relaxer do you have ?
My mom always lecture Me about Wahing
"AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR" :D
SOOOOOO Funny lol

i use profectivs touch up kit...its so moisturizing and really nice...its not harsh on my scalp or hair either...i like it alot actually...yea i used to think that washing ur hair alot was bad but i like cowashing alot now

Tall, Black Canadian
09-18-2008, 11:58 PM
The shortest time I'e waited to wash my hair was 4 days and it still looked and moved great. The hair is chemically straightened so it won't "snap back" when wet despite what we've been told all these years. I also wash my hair about 5 days before a relaxer and haven't gotten any burns or anything. To each her own I guess.

Dividir
09-19-2008, 05:19 AM
The shortest time I'e waited to wash my hair was 4 days and it still looked and moved great. The hair is chemically straightened so it won't "snap back" when wet despite what we've been told all these years. I also wash my hair about 5 days before a relaxer and haven't gotten any burns or anything. To each her own I guess.
Im thinking asbout washing my hair, about 5 days , before a relaxer, so I can relax proeperly... but Ill have to experiement

Tall, Black Canadian
09-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Im thinking asbout washing my hair, about 5 days , before a relaxer, so I can relax proeperly... but Ill have to experiement

When I wash I do a protein treatment (apHogee 2 step) to help strengthen the hair before all the chemicals go in it. I find when I've done this, there has been very little shedding and the relaxer actually doesn't need as long to straighten because there's no gook to eat through first.

Dividir
09-20-2008, 07:02 AM
When I wash I do a protein treatment (apHogee 2 step) to help strengthen the hair before all the chemicals go in it. I find when I've done this, there has been very little shedding and the relaxer actually doesn't need as long to straighten because there's no gook to eat through first.

Hmm, thinking. Is this a few days before the relaxer or on the day? Sounds very intresting...

shantisyndrome
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Homaigawdd.
I am really nervous to wash my hair and make it turn back into an afro...
I just had my virgin hair relaxed six days ago.
I think the woman used Precise.
It's really nice and straight.
But I feel dirty as heck, and I really want to wash my hair...
Help?

DanceKendra
11-01-2008, 01:23 PM
It will be okay to wash it! Or you can do a cowash if you dont feel comfortable washing it just yet. But if it feels dirty you should do something. Your going to have to wash eventually.

Ladycc
11-02-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm usually back on my 4-5 days.

maddielp94
12-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I am mixed with African American and white, so my hair texture is a little different. My hair and comes out easily when I brush it and breaks sometimes because it is dry. What can i do about this? And also, I just got a new perm exactly a week ago and I am wondering when I can wash it? And if it is washed too early will my hair start to break off and fall out? Also, what are the disadvantages and advantages of a co-wash compared to regularly washing your hair?

Thanks!:)

Queensheba
01-08-2009, 07:59 AM
A week after my relaxer I wash

abbyZ
03-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure, but I've generally been told by stylists (not here in the US though) to wash and do a protein treatment 3-4 days after the relaxer. I've always thought that water and neutralizer return hair very close to its natural pH but that since protein bonds have been broken in the relaxer process, a protein treatment is necessary 3-5 days later in order to help rebuild them.

Why might it be better to wait a week?

lovablestranger8
03-24-2009, 05:39 AM
I heard the same thing also

abbyZ
03-24-2009, 11:11 AM
But I think it also depends on the relaxer. Apparently with lye relaxers, it's recommended that a protein treatment be done before neutralizing, so it wouldn't be necessary 3-4 days later.

FleurDesLis
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
It is best to wait 7-10 days after your relax your hair before washing.

virtuouswoman
03-24-2009, 07:00 PM
My sister does hair and she always tells me to wash my hair every week because i would always think that if i wash my hair it would "wash" my relaxer out, but she says it actually helps it so i do it every week on the day that i got the relaxer.

evanny
05-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I used to wait a week, but with my last relaxer I lost hair on the 6th day b/c I needed to wash it again. I don't think I neutralized it properly or something. So b/c of that, I'm going to wash on the 4th or 5th day and neutralize or chelate my hair. Also I read an artile by SistaSlick that said to wash it about 5 days after. At least I think that's what it said. lol :o

alxmclellan
05-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Yesterday i relaxed my boyfriends hair with Dr. Miracle's relaxer kit. It uses a substitute for lye in the chemicals. Is he able to condition it the day after? How long is the waiting period to co-wash? Is it ok to wash it the first day or will it mess upo what we did yesterday. Cause grantd its straight now and looks really nice, the feel of it is like a horses tail. Any advice?

abbyZ
05-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Yesterday i relaxed my boyfriends hair with Dr. Miracle's relaxer kit. It uses a substitute for lye in the chemicals. Is he able to condition it the day after? How long is the waiting period to co-wash? Is it ok to wash it the first day or will it mess upo what we did yesterday. Cause grantd its straight now and looks really nice, the feel of it is like a horses tail. Any advice?

Did you deep condition after washing out the relaxer?

alxmclellan
05-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Did you deep condition after washing out the relaxer?

it gave us a shampoo to use to let us know if the chemicals were still there rinsed it out than used the conditoner it gave us

abbyZ
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
it gave us a shampoo to use to let us know if the chemicals were still there rinsed it out than used the conditoner it gave us

I think it's important to use a protein reconstructor (or some other protein treatment) about 3-5 days after relaxing (if you don't do it the day of). Then do a moisturizing DC as well.

savedsis
06-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I wait at least a week.

CutieCakes
06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
After a relaxer, I usually wait at least a week...but i read a book that says that you can start washing as soon as four days after a relaxer.

Tomekayf
06-18-2009, 10:44 AM
I heard it was 3 - 4 days as well. I hate that because after I get my hair relaxed my scalp is very itchy!

rrrucker21
06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I wash my hair every week at a Dominican Salon. I have recently, past 6 months, started stretching my relaxers but I still get a wash and set every week and have been doing so for the last seven years regardless of when my relaxer is due. ;)

Halibel
06-21-2009, 08:02 AM
I wait a week...anything too sooner would be a no-no for me.

miZZPortah
06-21-2009, 02:51 PM
I heard it was 3 - 4 days as well. I hate that because after I get my hair relaxed my scalp is very itchy!

I feel ya on that one, relaxers can be soooo drying. Moisturizing daily or every other day has been helping me out with this, massaging my scalp occassionally helps a little, too.

PrincessRN
06-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Just curious, but why would you have to wait several days before washing your hair after a relaxer? I have always re-washed my hair the same day when I get home from the salon or the next day and have never had any problems. In fact it is better for my hair. At the salon, I have no control over the products they use and my hair does not come out looking the way it should. I wash my hair again to remove the products from the salon, particularly the conditioner they use which ALWAYS has alcohol in it (a definite no-no for my hair!). When I do it again myself, it always comes out softer and looking much healthier :D

Halibel
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Just curious, but why would you have to wait several days before washing your hair after a relaxer? I have always re-washed my hair the same day when I get home from the salon or the next day and have never had any problems. In fact it is better for my hair. At the salon, I have no control over the products they use and my hair does not come out looking the way it should. I wash my hair again to remove the products from the salon, particularly the conditioner they use which ALWAYS has alcohol in it (a definite no-no for my hair!). When I do it again myself, it always comes out softer and looking much healthier :D

:eek: Washing your hair the same day or the day after visiting a salon...either you must not care about wasting munny or you are just rich. LOL! Out in Cali the salons charge by hair length...when I used to get my relaxers done and what not they would charge $65-70 bucks and my hair was APL back then. :mad:

How much do you pay for a visit?

You might as well do your own hair at home if you don't really care for the salon products at all, hehe. :p

CherriPepsi
06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
:eek: Washing your hair the same day or the day after visiting a salon...either you must not care about wasting munny or you are just rich. LOL! Out in Cali the salons charge by hair length...when I used to get my relaxers done and what not they would charge $65-70 bucks and my hair was APL back then. :mad:

You might as well do your own hair at home if you don't really care for the salon products at all, hehe. :p

While I agree with you there, I see Princess' point too. It also it depends on how much she spent to get her hair relaxed too. Here, there are placed where to get your hair washed, relaxed and dried plus conditioned, it can cost no more than $40 or $50 if you catch a special. That's a heck of a lot better than spending oh... $70+ on a perm alone.

But I'm not knocking you one bit. I improvised when I had my hair. :p

PrincessRN
06-23-2009, 06:14 PM

Hi Halibel, I never considered it wasting money because I mainly went to the salon for the application of the relaxer (can't do it myself :scared:), not the styling of my hair. Definitely not rich, LOL! It just seemed that in the past several years, the people that I went to just could not style my hair properly. My main goal was the SAFE application of the relaxer, so when I found somebody who could give me a great touch up every time with no "missed spots" and made my hair really straight, I just kept going even though they couldn't style their way out of a paper bag, LOL. When I was in my 20's and had a fly haircut, my stylist was the bomb and believe me I did not wash my hair for a week after she did it!.......sigh, I miss her :D

My recent stylist never charged by length (I think that is so bogus!), but it was the same price as you mentioned $65 - $70. My last relaxer was April 15th 2009 and I am hoping that was my last one! I am trying to transition to natural.

Halibel
06-24-2009, 01:54 AM
While I agree with you there, I see Princess' point too. It also it depends on how much she spent to get her hair relaxed too. Here, there are placed where to get your hair washed, relaxed and dried plus conditioned, it can cost no more than $40 or $50 if you catch a special. That's a heck of a lot better than spending oh... $70+ on a perm alone.

But I'm not knocking you one bit. I improvised when I had my hair. :p

$40-$50 ....you made my heart hurt when I read those prices. :( LOL! I am so over salons.....those jerks. lol. :p

Hi Halibel, I never considered it wasting money because I mainly went to the salon for the application of the relaxer (can't do it myself :scared:), not the styling of my hair. Definitely not rich, LOL! It just seemed that in the past several years, the people that I went to just could not style my hair properly. My main goal was the SAFE application of the relaxer, so when I found somebody who could give me a great touch up every time with no "missed spots" and made my hair really straight, I just kept going even though they couldn't style their way out of a paper bag, LOL. When I was in my 20's and had a fly haircut, my stylist was the bomb and believe me I did not wash my hair for a week after she did it!.......sigh, I miss her :D

My recent stylist never charged by length (I think that is so bogus!), but it was the same price as you mentioned $65 - $70. My last relaxer was April 15th 2009 and I am hoping that was my last one! I am trying to transition to natural.

LOL! OoOoh, I see now. If thats the case I would do to shop too if I didn't know what I was doing with chemicals too, hehe. LOL! What happen to your old stylist? ( my only fav. one moved far away, I miss her too. )

Aw, stylist are so BLAH these days. I hope you have a safe and awesome transition on your hair journey. I am rooting for you! :)

PrincessRN
06-24-2009, 06:40 PM
$40-$50 ....you made my heart hurt when I read those prices. :( LOL! I am so over salons.....those jerks. lol. :p

LOL! OoOoh, I see now. If thats the case I would do to shop too if I didn't know what I was doing with chemicals too, hehe. LOL! What happen to your old stylist? ( my only fav. one moved far away, I miss her too. )

Aw, stylist are so BLAH these days. I hope you have a safe and awesome transition on your hair journey. I am rooting for you! :)

Two things happened with my old stylist. First I decided to let my hair grow out from the style I had, and then I moved away. But when I was rocking my cut back then (you remember the short in the front, on the sides and the crown, and long in the back) my cuts were so precise, people ALWAYS used to stop me on the streets, in the mall, etc. and ask me was I a model in hairshows! Dang, that girl was lethal with a pair of scissors LOL :D But, the down side was I was putting a lot of heat on my hair, usually everyday to maintain the style. One day, I realized the back right side of my hair was thinning and shorter that the left side, I was burning it off with the curling iron!!!:(. I decided soon thereafter to let my hair grow out and wear a style that was easier to maintain. This was about ten years ago and my hair recovered very nicely. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a stylist like her since.

Thanks for the encouragement on the transition, I sure do need it! It's already getting difficult and I have been having dreams about feeling the relaxer on my roots! Why is it that one inch of new growth can control 12 inches of relaxed hair ? :confused: Have you found a new stylist that you love?

Halibel
06-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Two things happened with my old stylist. First I decided to let my hair grow out from the style I had, and then I moved away. But when I was rocking my cut back then (you remember the short in the front, on the sides and the crown, and long in the back) my cuts were so precise, people ALWAYS used to stop me on the streets, in the mall, etc. and ask me was I a model in hairshows! Dang, that girl was lethal with a pair of scissors LOL :D But, the down side was I was putting a lot of heat on my hair, usually everyday to maintain the style. One day, I realized the back right side of my hair was thinning and shorter that the left side, I was burning it off with the curling iron!!!:(. I decided soon thereafter to let my hair grow out and wear a style that was easier to maintain. This was about ten years ago and my hair recovered very nicely. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a stylist like her since.

Thanks for the encouragement on the transition, I sure do need it! It's already getting difficult and I have been having dreams about feeling the relaxer on my roots! Why is it that one inch of new growth can control 12 inches of relaxed hair ? :confused: Have you found a new stylist that you love?

LOL! LOL! at the bold part. I am trying to picture the style in my head, I think I know what you are talking about, hehe. But I am sorry that you two got seperated and that you had a mishap on your hair. ( I have had them plenty of times, lol :rolleyes )

But you got your hair back on track and that's all that counts. :)

LMAO! At having hair nightmares, I never had one before. I dunno what it is about new growth but when it comes the relaxed hair gets owned by it, HARD! LOL! Good luck on growning the relaxer out...I tried to a few years ago....I had to get a touch up, haha. I am a weakling. LOL!

Nope, I haven't found a stylist that I liked since my 1st one, I tried other ppl but they made my hair a mess and so I stick to doing it myself. I get my ends trimmed by my dad's girlfriend now. :p

virtuouswoman
06-25-2009, 05:38 AM

Good luck with the transition!!!

ashleyjones008
06-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I wait a week too. I got a relaxer yesterday and I look forward to washing my hair and doing a protein treatment/dc.

evanny
06-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Did I just read that the $40-$50 prices made Halibel's heart hurt? ROFL!!! Girl you tear me up!!! :D

CherriPepsi
06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Did I just read that the $40-$50 prices made Halibel's heart hurt? ROFL!!! Girl you tear me up!!! :D

I won't mention the average price of just the relaxer price then. hehe. I take it that I'm lucky that salons here are a dime a dozen like Caribbean restaurants on Flatbush Ave.

PrincessRN
06-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Good luck with the transition!!!

Thanks Virtuous. I hope I make it!

virtuouswoman
06-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks Virtuous. I hope I make it!

You will, just stay strong and keep with it, we're here to help!

Halibel
06-26-2009, 07:06 AM

LOL! my heart is so weak when it comes to hair. :o

I won't mention the average price of just the relaxer price then. hehe. I take it that I'm lucky that salons here are a dime a dozen like Caribbean restaurants on Flatbush Ave.

LOL! I am glad you decided to spare my tears and broken heart. :o