View Full Version : Your opions on using Olive Oil, JoJoba Oil, Castor Oil......

Siberia_McLean
12-06-2009, 12:15 AM
I've herad a lot of you mention that you use different types of oil on your hair. I just wanted to know, are you using this in place of hair grease or inbetween using hair grease?

Also does it make your hair and sclap a little too oily?
Do you put it on after washing your hair?
Before you tie you hair up at night?

Those are all the questions that I can think of, if you have any more information pass it my way. :)

ac22ford
12-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Love all those oils.
I do not use grease b/c of the fillers they have (petroleum I believe).
I use oils for:
* pre-poo (like a deep condition except before you shampoo your hair) (Olive oil and bunch of others)
* to seal after I moisturize my hair (all of them)
*After airdrying and getting ready to braid my hair or knot it (tried for the first time last night instead of using a conditioner, hair was sooo much softer)
* When I am taking braids out or my bantu knots (almond, or olive)
*On my edges (castor)

This works for me and everyone probably does their own thing with these oils. I'm sure others will chime in with their uses of oils.

Siberia_McLean
12-06-2009, 12:26 AM
So you put it in your hair before shampooing?? I might try that. Is their a certain Oilve Oil I should try, I heard some of you mention EVOO. And are these oils, pretty reasonable and I can find them at any health food store or beauty supply??

Siberia_McLean
12-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I was looking at your pictures on the link that you posted. I saw that jar of Cantu Shea Butter, you have. I was thinking about buying some at Target, but I bought some natural Shea Butter from the beauty supply store. I just wanted to know how that works for you

Also what do you use Aloe Vera juice for??

Love all those oils.
I do not use grease b/c of the fillers they have (petroleum I believe).
I use oils for:
* pre-poo (like a deep condition except before you shampoo your hair) (Olive oil and bunch of others)
* to seal after I moisturize my hair (all of them)
*After airdrying and getting ready to braid my hair or knot it (tried for the first time last night instead of using a conditioner, hair was sooo much softer)
* When I am taking braids out or my bantu knots (almond, or olive)
*On my edges (castor)

This works for me and everyone probably does their own thing with these oils. I'm sure others will chime in with their uses of oils.

ac22ford
12-06-2009, 12:43 AM
So you put it in your hair before shampooing?? I might try that. Is their a certain Oilve Oil I should try, I heard some of you mention EVOO. And are these oils, pretty reasonable and I can find them at any health food store or beauty supply??

Yes Ma'am, I just recently learned about pre-pooing. It helps fight the harshness the shampoo leaves on the hair.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is best for me. You can get that at the grocery store for about $6, depending on the size. I get all my oils at Whole Foods, the most expensive for me was Jojoba, but it's worth it, makes my hair the softest. It cost $7.99 and the bottle is not that big. I have an addiction to buying hair products, but I do not buy them if it is not a reasonable price.

I was looking at your pictures on the link that you posted. I saw that jar of Cantu Shea Butter, you have. I was thinking about buying some at Target, but I bought some natural Shea Butter from the beauty supply store. I just wanted to know how that works for you

Also what do you use Aloe Vera juice for??

I mainly use my Cantu Shea butter when I'm getting ready to set my hair (braids for a braidout, or bantu knots for a knotout). But to be honest, I think I'm going to stick with just using EVOO or some other kind of oil b/c it came out much better when I tried it last night.

Natural Shea Butter is the real deal, especially if it's unrefined. Cantu is just another reg. old product with a whole bunch of ingredients. My hair is not the biggest fan of the natural shea butter yet, but I'm hoping when I'm all natural that will change. My skin loves it.

I use my aloe vera juice by mixing it with a moisturizing conditioner. Leaves my hair soft. I also drink it whenever I remember . . . if I didn't get enough nutrients that day.

Choconom
12-06-2009, 12:47 AM
I use Olive, Coconut and Castor in an applicator bottle mainly for oiling my scalp and sealing my ends. Sometimes as a prepoo also, and my hair comes out super soft when I do! I'm considering using mainly coconut/castor as a DC after shampooing, seems like it would be great for my hair.

acupofmagic
12-06-2009, 02:15 AM
I use EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) for hot oil treatments.

I use Coconut Oil in my pre-poos.

I use Castor Oil for mostly sealing, but sometimes I dilute it with Wild Growth Hair Oil for when I oil my scalp.

Vermelha
12-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Olive Oil - This is best used for soothing dry hair and scalp. This can be used directly on the scalp, on the hair as a serum, in a pre-poo treatment or deep conditioner. You can even add a little to your shampoo and conditioner.

Jojoba Oil is known as a scalp conditioner. What it does is keep the scalp clean, as it's composition is bactericidal. It's also great to use on hair before heat styling. FHI Hot Sauce has jojoba crystals in its formula. It's very lightweight.

Castor Oil is very thick, so application on the hair should be done sparingly, however many apply this to the scalp, as it contains rinoleic (sp?) acid, an acid known for it's bactericidal properties, keeping the scalp clean. I use it as a serum for rollersets or just to smooth down flyaways.

Coconut Oil, an ayurvedic remedy, is one of the oils best known for penetrating into the hair shaft. It keeps the cuticle and proteins intact from shampooing and daily wear. Consistent use strengthens the hair. This is also used on the scalp as a scalp conditioner, a hot oil treatment, a pre-poo treatment, a DC, a basic conditioner and a hair oil. It's solid in form, but under 76 degrees (with a little emulsifying in your hands) it will become liquid.

HTH.

Siberia_McLean
12-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Did you get your Coconut Oil from Whole Foods as well? What's the brand that you use?

Yes Ma'am, I just recently learned about pre-pooing. It helps fight the harshness the shampoo leaves on the hair.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is best for me. You can get that at the grocery store for about $6, depending on the size. I get all my oils at Whole Foods, the most expensive for me was Jojoba, but it's worth it, makes my hair the softest. It cost $7.99 and the bottle is not that big. I have an addiction to buying hair products, but I do not buy them if it is not a reasonable price.

I mainly use my Cantu Shea butter when I'm getting ready to set my hair (braids for a braidout, or bantu knots for a knotout). But to be honest, I think I'm going to stick with just using EVOO or some other kind of oil b/c it came out much better when I tried it last night.

Natural Shea Butter is the real deal, especially if it's unrefined. Cantu is just another reg. old product with a whole bunch of ingredients. My hair is not the biggest fan of the natural shea butter yet, but I'm hoping when I'm all natural that will change. My skin loves it.

I use my aloe vera juice by mixing it with a moisturizing conditioner. Leaves my hair soft. I also drink it whenever I remember . . . if I didn't get enough nutrients that day.

Siberia_McLean
12-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I forgot to ask this before. Does it matter if I have a relaxer or not?? It's it safe on my hair to use inbetween going to a sylist?? I just don't want my hair to fall out. LOL

ShEiSsOiNsAnE
12-06-2009, 09:51 AM
whats the best oil for thinning edges?

Siberia_McLean
12-06-2009, 09:54 AM
If I'm doing a pre poo, how long should I leave it in my hair. Also how much should I use? Or too much is never enough?

ysm
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi. I prepoo w/a mix of evoo, evco, avocado and tea tree oils. I put on a shower cap and a scarf and a towel around my neck and one to protect my pillow. I wear it at least for 1 hour or overnight. You don't need to saturate your hair w/the oils, just enought to cover your hair and scalp with.
After I wash my hair, I DC w/evoo, coconut oil and shea butter. Rinse. Then afterwards, moisturize my scalp w/coconut and castor oils and seal my hair w/NTM (Neutrogena Triple Moisture) and coconut oil.

For thinning edges, castor oil can't be beat! do it at night though. I also have a leftover mascara brush and use it on my eye lashes.--at night only. It's so thick it messes up my glasses. LOL.

evanny
12-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I've herad a lot of you mention that you use different types of oil on your hair. I just wanted to know, are you using this in place of hair grease or in between using hair grease? I use them in the place of hair grease.

Also does it make your hair and sclap a little too oily? If applied in excess it will hair the hair and scalp oily, until it absorbs.
Do you put it on after washing your hair? I apply it after washing my hair, in my deep conditioners, I use them alone to deep condition as well.
Before you tie you hair up at night? I usually moisturize and seal before going to bed so it's after washing my hair and before I tie my hair up for the night.

Those are all the questions that I can think of, if you have any more information pass it my way. :)

Oils are so much better for the hair and scalp than typical hair grease. They provide the hair with necessary vitamins and nutrients for healthy hair. They provide sheen, softness, and just overall beauty and health for the hair. Some oils even contain antibacterial properties. Read up on some of the oils, and you'll see there's a plethora of benefits for each one.

leentora
12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I hav e all 3 oils, the ones I have are pure 100%, I don't use the oils that has filters on them.

I use castor oil in my DC and afterwards on my scalp, I use my finger and apply it to my scalp so it is not greasy, just enough so the scalp will absorb the oil in without excessive grease and build up.

Olive oil I dab my palm with it and rubbed both hands together and apply to the whole of my hair focusing on the ends - this oil to me is great for sealing after you moisturize your hair.

Jojoba oil I use the same way as CO.

HTH!

leentora
12-06-2009, 11:35 AM

CO is the best, it thickens the hair as well as promote hair growth.

Tall, Black Canadian
12-06-2009, 01:45 PM
It's important to make sure that your oils are cold pressed or extra virgin. That means that they haven't been processed with heat and that it is the first pressing, so they are the most nutrient rich oils and the best for your hair and skin.

I've spent the last year experimenting with dozens of oils, and it all comes back to the Golden Triangle; Olive, Castor and Coconut. These will heal all that ails you and can be used in a multitude of ways. I use them for scalp and ends care when needed. Everyday would just give me greasy hair and scalp, but figure outwhat works best for you.

I also like using Sweet Almond oil in place of coconut many times depending on the application (personal preference). HTH

Siberia_McLean
12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
More more thing that I wanted to ask, have any of you ever mixed 2 or 3 oils together, and then put them on your scalp???

evanny
12-06-2009, 04:47 PM
More more thing that I wanted to ask, have any of you ever mixed 2 or 3 oils together, and then put them on your scalp???

I do! :D I have a "sealant mixture". It's in an applicator bottle to help me oil my scalp. It's a heavier mixture so some ladies probably wouldn't like it. It consists of 1 tablespoon of each: EVOO, EVCO, almond oil, grapeseed oil, vitamin e oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, and Hollywood beauty cator oil. I also mix in 2 tablespoons of regular castor oil. My hair loves it! You can also do this with lighter oils and put the mixture into an applicator bottle too, it's just that where I live there's basically no humidity so I need the heavier oils. Well that and my hair responds better to heavier oils. I use this mixture for everything; scalp massages, deep conditioning treatments, pre poos, I add it to my regular conditioners, and deep codnitioners. I'm going to be adding macademia nut oil to it too pretty soon. I can't wait!

Choconom
12-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I mix coco, olive and castor in an applicator bottle also, and it works wonders for me! My scalp feels great, and my ends would probably be in better shape if I moisturized/sealed more often with this oil mix lol. Can't go wrong with those three.

ac22ford
12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Did you get your Coconut Oil from Whole Foods as well? What's the brand that you use?

Yes, I have the spectrum brand for $10. I think they have a cheaper one but they were out at the time I went.

I forgot to ask this before. Does it matter if I have a relaxer or not?? It's it safe on my hair to use inbetween going to a sylist?? I just don't want my hair to fall out. LOL

Doesn't matter. Many relaxed and naturals use these oils.

My research says castor oil. I've been using it for over 2 months and haven't seen much difference yet. Doesn't work for all but they say the Jamaican Black Castor Oil works wonders. I just started using this week so will update when I see fuller edges!

If I'm doing a pre poo, how long should I leave it in my hair. Also how much should I use? Or too much is never enough?

It's all up to your hair. Some ladies do it overnight, some an hour, me, I do it for 2 hours while working out or cleaning up, to get some heat up there. I also cover with a plastic cap or grocery bag. And it all depends on how much hair you have as far as how much to use. I like to saturate my hair when pre-pooing, which can be expensive if you use just oil, so now I throw in some cholestoral.

SHIRO
12-07-2009, 12:19 AM
I use coconut oil as a prepoo, as a dc mixed with a little protein reconstructor,as a daily moisturiser infused with some herbs.for me it's coconut oil,coconut oil,coconut oil

jade82
03-03-2010, 01:41 AM
I use olive oil and coconut oil by adding them to my deep conditioner, being that I never oil my scalp.

babybooj
03-16-2010, 02:31 PM
i use jojoba oil and it makes it really soft and the olive oil is what i put on my ends to keep them from getting dry. i use carrot oil on my scalp for when i press is which is rare cuz thats bad.

chikiz
03-17-2010, 07:47 AM

I mixed my olive oil with castor oil because the olive oil was too little and I was short on cash and have been applying to my scalp and hair. I noticed after a few days my hair had become thick, was not breaking as much and alot more manageable. My hair has been the best ever! Unfortunately my face breaks if I use coconut oil. But Olive, Castor and Coconut are the best whichever way you choose to use them.

bannes
03-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Has anyone used African Royale Hot six oil? I have been using it on my hair for about a month and its been really good so far. I know a lot of you buy the actual oils, but I use it because its a natural product and I don't have to worry about mixing oils or weird smells.

bejai
03-18-2010, 06:01 AM
One of the dollar stores in my area sells these small bottles of evoo that I have been buying just for my hair. I buy them mainly because they are small so I leave the whole bottle in the bathroom and it's not a big ole monster-sized bottle of oil seating in the washroom. Anyway, I just noticed that the label on the last two bottles I bought look a little different this time. Now I see that they are olive oil and soy bean oil mixed. I can't wait to try this on my hair and in my food.

angel_hair
03-18-2010, 09:15 AM

Wal-Mart, Super-mart very easy to find.

JLicious
03-19-2010, 02:47 AM
A good place to buy unrefined extra virgin coconut oil is Puritan.com. The last time I ordered I got 5 - 16 oz jars for $24.00 with free shipping. I love coconut, jojoba, and olive mixed in my hair. I just started using Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I haven't used it long enough to say whether it's doing anything spectacular yet.

RONI
04-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Castor Oil has been my staple for many years,it keeps my hair moisturized and shiny.I only apply it once after I have washed and conditioned my hair;and don't have to reapply it until I wash and condition again,which is 2 weeks.I love it so much it just stays in my hair,I will always use it :).

jessy828
04-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi my hair is really curly and from mousse and wetting the hair in the morning is kind of dry, but my hair is naturally dry, and now even more. I have heard that jojoba oil is good to keep it from looking dry, but I can't find it at the regular drugs store like walmart,cvs, etc ... So if anyone knows where I could buy it please let me know or any other product that will help my hair from drying out. Thanks

evanny
04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi my hair is really curly and from mousse and wetting the hair in the morning is kind of dry, but my hair is naturally dry, and now even more. I have heard that jojoba oil is good to keep it from looking dry, but I can't find it at the regular drugs store like walmart,cvs, etc ... So if anyone knows where I could buy it please let me know or any other product that will help my hair from drying out. Thanks

You can find jojoba oil at a natural food store like Whole foods or Natural Grocers. I think GNC carries it too. We mostly all use oil to seal in the moisture of our hair here at BHP. There are some that use other things like butters to do so. After moisturizing your hair, add a little of the oil and you should notice a difference in the moisture level of your hair. HTH

jessy828
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks I guess u am gonna have to try gnc, because walmart, cvs, they don't have it :0(

hanna_light
04-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I pre-poo overnight with the following: Extra Virgin Coconut oil and Extra Virgin Olive oil.
Instead of grease to oil the scalp I use a combination of EVOO, EVCO, jojoba and tea tree oils.I am thinking of adding JBCO to the mix. For sealing after I've moisturized it's EVCO.

jessy828
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks I'll look into those products!

Naemamaz
06-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I had an allergic reaction to Jojoba oil, so i cant use it

babybooj
06-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Well i dont use grease becuz the petrolium and fillers dont moisturize they just coat your hair and leaves it dry. But no the oils dont make my scalp too oily you just have to use them in moderation. Also castor oil will help thicken. I use olive for my ends because it really helps preventing split ends and i use jojoba as a hot oil treatment and it makes my hair unbeilvebly soft. Use the oils in place of grease and oil your scalp mornin and night. Hope this helps

PurplePeony
01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
I made a mix yesterday of Olive Oil, JoJoba Oil, Castor Oil. I added a few drops of rosemary oil, tea tree oil & peppermint oil for my mom who complained of itchy scalp. Within in minutes the itching stopped.
I used it on my scalp too & when I woke up this morning my hair felt like butta. :)

denalove
01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I made a mix yesterday of Olive Oil, JoJoba Oil, Castor Oil. I added a few drops of rosemary oil, tea tree oil & peppermint oil for my mom who complained of itchy scalp. Within in minutes the itching stopped.
I used it on my scalp too & when I woke up this morning my hair felt like butta. :)
Ok, that mixture sounds like one that I need for my dd..she has flakes of dandruff and I need something light and natural.
Tea tree oil may be a nice compliment to this mixture as well.

PurplePeony
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Ok, that mixture sounds like one that I need for my dd..she has flakes of dandruff and I need something light and natural.
Tea tree oil may be a nice compliment to this mixture as well.

I used tea tree oil and peppermint oil both batches but I only added rosemary oil to mine since my mom has high blood pressure. Mom is still raving about how good her hair & scalp feels. I try to give her hair advice but she won`t listen. Everytime her hair and scalp get dry she just puts on a bunch of hair grease which doesn`t help the dryness. I`m not against hair grease but she needs to get moisture in her hair first. I try to wash my hair once a week & cowash once a week and mom always asks me why I wash my hair so much :rolleyes: she`s old school & thinks washing more than every 2 weeks is bad...yet she`s the one with scalp issues. I really wish she would listen.

denalove
01-26-2013, 01:14 PM
I used tea tree oil and peppermint oil both batches but I only added rosemary oil to mine since my mom has high blood pressure. Mom is still raving about how good her hair & scalp feels. I try to give her hair advice but she won`t listen. Everytime her hair and scalp get dry she just puts on a bunch of hair grease which doesn`t help the dryness. I`m not against hair grease but she needs to get moisture in her hair first. I try to wash my hair once a week & cowash once a week and mom always asks me why I wash my hair so much :rolleyes: she`s old school & thinks washing more than every 2 weeks is bad...yet she`s the one with scalp issues. I really wish she would listen.

My mom is the same way...but the difference is she lives in wigs and doesn't have to even deal with her own hair often. However she doesn't properly care for it underneath (she'll wash and braid, but thats it)...now she is at the point where she wants to wear her own hair, but she doesn't know where to begin..I am trying to help her...but she is a hard one to help when it comes to hair care.

cospak
03-08-2013, 01:41 AM
Its depends on your hair types.when you decided which oil is best for your hair.

rummy26
06-04-2013, 06:34 AM
I always mix them ,i make the castor and jojoba oil quantity very less and also add lemon juice before applying it on my scalps.

Myhairneedhelp
06-12-2013, 07:59 AM
I started growing my hair out about a year ago, from all the damage and stress from wearing weaves, my hair underneath was a total mess. I was ashamed of my hair not revealing it to anyone but my husband. I wanted to see if I could grow my hair back with using natural products that I researched and made myself. Today I am so pleased with the growth of my hair progress from split ends, to breakage, my hair also had a bald spot on the side from me not properly taking care of my hair underneath, my hair has grown six inches, no I did not do the chop. But I did used some of the oils mention here like castor oil and olive oil, and it did wonders along with other oil I implemented in my program. I am so loving my hair now. I did not take any before pictures due to overly ashamed of my hair, now I wish I did. My hair length was a little pass my ear, now it's shoulder length. I told several people of how to grow their hair back and only 4 out of the 15 people I told actually followed my treatment and their hair has grown back. I love the two oils u listed and I will continue using them in my hair program.

Myhairneedhelp
06-12-2013, 08:04 AM
CosPak
I find that the oils mention can be used on all types of hair. Olive oil and castor oil if u buy them natural will not harm your hair it will only help it if u used them correctly.

Myhairneedhelp
06-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I know what u mean Denalove, when I started my hair challenge I end up doing it along, I tried asking my three sister in laws, my mother in law, my daughter, two sisters, and a few others, everyone thought I was crazy, I throwed away all my store brand shampoos and made all my products, from shampoo to own natural oils. They question me about my products thinking that they hair was going to come out even worst, I trust my products because I did intense research on my products. Now they hair was worst off then mine, and I felt embrass for them they continued to wear there weaves and applying glue to their hair which caused them to be almost bald now. I beg them to do my regiment but they refused but only three did do it, and they have gotten results. I didn't do the tea tree oil, because it did not aid in what I was trying to accomplish but I did and do use the peppermint which aids in hair growth. I had to find the right one that really works, the one I use helps and aid not only in hair care but health as well. I even use my peppermint for colds breathe fresher etc. it works wonders and I love it. The only people that will follow you is the ones that is determine to stick with it. You wash your hair twice a week, I was washing mine everyday and got faster result by keeping my hair clean. My husband is so amazed at how my hair have turn out. Good luck on your natural oil treatment.

kals
06-22-2013, 12:07 AM
I started using grape seed oil as a face moisturizer last month and really liked it, so I decided to try it on my hair. I added it to some argan oil and loved it. I had purchased the argan oil for my face, but it was too oily. Grape seed oil doesn't make my hair oily or heavy like castor oil. I can't say yet if it's helping with growth, but my hair feels and looks healthy.

ch1
06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
I've always used coconut oil, my hair absorbs this really well
I also like to use it as a base oil for my shikakai & Amla powders - along with EVOO.

I've recently been using EVOO as a hot oil treatment & for sealing (thanks to tips on this site!) I think it has strengthened my ends

PurplePeony
06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Used this combo today w/ some essential oils....luv it!

Barbara
08-18-2013, 11:28 PM
All I can say is that these oils will transform your hair over time.