View Full Version : Lace Front wigs vs. Sew ins

313chick
11-21-2009, 05:53 PM
which one do ya prefer??? and what are the advantages and disadvantages about lace wigs???
I LOVE my sew ins but I want to try something different for the new year after I installed this bohyme brazilian wave hair(aka bobraz) next month! I really like how some lace wigs be looking real tho:)

virtuouswoman
11-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Lace wigs Advantages: Super Cute
Its look like your hair
You can do soooo many updos and styles
Protects your hair
You hair can all ways look good
If done properly no one will be able to tell its yours

Disadvantages:
If you apply it too closely to your hair line it can take your edges
it can get a little annoying and you'd want to snatch it off (I do)
You can experience some lift in the lace around the edges, the glue or tape can start to get dry and come up and you won't even know it
You can get some glue residue around the lace and its really noticable and embrassing
You have to really really really tweak it to make it look like its yours (You have to bleach knots, thin it, all kinds of stuff to it)
They take a lot of work managing them and if its hot you may have some trouble especially if you like to work out and swim etc.

I love my sewins just don't like the breakage because of the constant flat ironing that comes along with a partial sew in. And you can't do as many styles as you can with a full head.

So, I can't choose which one but right now to give my hair a break I am wearing FLWs but I don't apply then I use the "bobby pin method" and I can take it off as I please and it looks good!!!!

LilMissRed
11-22-2009, 07:49 AM
well Ive only been wearing sew in's.. I gave serious thoughts about the lf's, but I've seen too many pics where ppl loose their 'edges' from the glue/tape. Plus.... I cant afford the lf's :/

virtuouswoman
11-22-2009, 11:48 PM
well Ive only been wearing sew in's.. I gave serious thoughts about the lf's, but I've seen too many pics where ppl loose their 'edges' from the glue/tape. Plus.... I cant afford the lf's :/

Right! Which is which they should cover the edges or at least use the band-aid method or stop applying it so close to the hair line lol

Dividir
11-23-2009, 04:37 AM
I don't like sew-ins because the cause serious damaged to my edges, that I am still trying to repair, and I haven't had one since 2007/8

I don't like lf because it is a hassle to get a really good app

Like sew-in because they are cheaper to buy (not the best quality of hair) and they're great if you love switching it up alot. and they are less likely to come loose if you sweat.

I like lf because in most cases the end result is more believable.

But expensive.

Plus there are already UK facebook groups cussing bad applications!

eyekandy22
02-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Living in the DMV I've seen a lot of girls with the lacefronts, which is pretty new to me. Somehow I can always tell, either the unrealistic hairline, the glue, or just a "that ain't your hair girl!" type of moment. I feel like they belong to Beyonce and other celebs. I just do the wigs you can blend into your hairline, throw a headband on, etc. They look good, but not like you're trying to pretend it's growing out of your scalp.

So I'd say weave-ins for maybe a month-6weeks at a time can be good- I know when I did them I only used dry shampoo and braid spray. Now I would really miss getting my hair wet. They also damaged my edges a lot because of the sewing onto the cornrows and making it tight. If you're careful with it, I'd say weaves over the glue on LFs.

hottipsfashion
02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Me personally,I prefer lace wigs,full lace wigs to be precise, because they are indetectable.The hair looks as if it is coming directly from the scalp,and you can part this hair unit anywhere,or do a pony tail or a up do,and it looks like it is your own hair.Nowadays you can find online cheap full lace wigs that are high quality, like at fulllacewigsbyhottipsfashion.com
My personal advice is that it is better to have a 100% human hair full lace wig, because you can dye it, use a hot curling iron,or even straighten it to your like.

virtuouswoman
02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Me personally,I prefer lace wigs,full lace wigs to be precise, because they are indetectable.The hair looks as if it is coming directly from the scalp,and you can part this hair unit anywhere,or do a pony tail or a up do,and it looks like it is your own hair.Nowadays you can find online cheap full lace wigs that are high quality, like at fulllacewigsbyhottipsfashion.com
My personal advice is that it is better to have a 100% human hair full lace wig, because you can dye it, use a hot curling iron,or even straighten it to your like.

hmmmmmm...I'm gonna have to put my spam investigating glasses on for this one....

misspriss2892
03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
I like lace wigs when they are done right but soooo many chicks down here in atlanta where them and it looks totally fake, like ill be out with a guy and he'll say something about a chicks "lace wig" and its funny bc i feel like guys shouldnt know when you have a wig on!!! Its that bad....especially the moon shaped ones, but I can tell even when its a good one....

I prefer sew ins because you can always make them look natural, but I have seen some closures that look VERY GOOD!!!!

eyekandy22
09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I personally prefer wigs, and now I'm getting into human hair lacefronts only. I do not use glue or tape, way too much work for me. The cons are that there is work involved 1) You have to bleach knots- I asked 2 vendors to do it, and they still didn't, or at least did a terrible job. (2) You have to thin it out with tweezers or scissors/razor to get a realistic density, especially at the hairline- I was lucky with my recent one, the density was great. (3)You can't just buy a wig and throw it on and go if you want it to look real. (4) If you don't use glue you can't do ponytails or updos- but i don't find those to look good with most lacefronts anyway. (5) Not using glue, it is annoying when you live with others because you have to remember to put it on and off, lol. If you live alone or have a sew-in then that is not an issue.

The Pros are (1) No need to blend with your real hair, all your hair is covered up- yay, no more heat damage to my leave out. (2) I love cowashing and shampooing and hennaing etc, with weaves I definitely was not doing all that. Maybe shampooing every two weeks, but I was always scared to mess up the hair. (3) Your wig can last longer if you take it off at night. With a weave it's on you 24/7 more wear and tear. (4) You can change styles easily without having to go through installation process.

AdoreInVegas
09-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Sew-ins with a closure work the best for me. It comes down to these things:
1. Braiding technique: braids that aren't so tight you are getting bumps or damage. Braids don't have to be so tight you need anesthesia to get through the braiding!
2. Quality hair. You get what you pay for. Period.
3. Maintenance: keep it washed. Co-wash (wash with good conditioner only) to keep the hair in shape at least weekly. Wash fully and thoroughly at least every other week to keep your natural hair healthy underneath.
4. Skill of your stylist. This is hard - took me several years to find mine. I love him dearly. He doesn't stack clients and he knows what he is doing.
5. Keeping a good "take-down" schedule. Can't keep the weave in for months at a time! Take it down every 6-8 weeks, deep condition your natural hair, then have it re-done.

I have found the above to work well for me since 2006.

maryadrain
09-07-2012, 02:30 AM
I love kinky hair full lace wigs. Vety natural and full. My favorite. LOL