View Full Version : Is it bad to put your hair up all the time??

Sharii16
11-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Ok so i wear ponytails and buns most of the week just for protection. But i am seeing breakage in like strands....and i am seeing a difference in my growth but its just been up like all the time......should keep doing this or is there anyway to keep it up but not in the same boring style!!??:confused:

marchoftheblackqueen
11-13-2009, 05:18 PM
If you have it too tight then yes it will cause breakage. I'm gonna let the experts answer this question for you because I'm curious too. Bumping!

InSickCure1
11-13-2009, 05:20 PM
what u using to tie ur hair up?

u shouldnt use elastic rubber bands nor hairbands with the metal thing on it...those usually cause hair to break or pull

denalove
11-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Tension from the ponytails WILL cause breakage. Take it from someone who has been there.
So like ISC said, rubberbands and elastic bands will break off hair.
And plus putting the ponytail in the same spot will do it too.

Scuncis aren't as bad, however they too will cause breakage if too tight.

evanny
11-13-2009, 09:39 PM
what u using to tie ur hair up?

u shouldnt use elastic rubber bands nor hairbands with the metal thing on it...those usually cause hair to break or pull

Look at you giving advice!! Go 'head ISC!! :D

lilo moon
11-13-2009, 11:17 PM
R u moisturizing

Sharii16
11-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Tension from the ponytails WILL cause breakage. Take it from someone who has been there.
So like ISC said, rubberbands and elastic bands will break off hair.
And plus putting the ponytail in the same spot will do it too.

Scuncis aren't as bad, however they too will cause breakage if too tight.

well they are in the same spot but most of the time its buns and its super loose but when i comb down to a wrap its just strands falling oh but the bands im using are like the elastic like their stretchy and dnt have the metal part on it

denalove
11-14-2009, 03:15 PM
well they are in the same spot but most of the time its buns and its super loose but when i comb down to a wrap its just strands falling oh but the bands im using are like the elastic like their stretchy and dnt have the metal part on it

Oh, if they're super loose then we can't say that it's tension causing breakage. You gotta keep your hair moisturized (and sealed),as someone on here just said....

It could still be the bands causing breakage as well. Why don't you give the ponytails a break for a moment and allow your hair some rest.

Vermelha
11-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Well, it depends.

Wearing the hair up is a great way of keeping the hair "out of sight, out of mind" and allowing it to grow. But you also have to consider a few things:

Is your hair dry before bunning? Bunning and doing updos on wet hair can cause breakage due to twisting and tension from clips, hair bands, etc. Try to do it on at least 50% dry hair. Also, if you must bun hair while wet, apply a natural oil thoroughly to the hair and ends to allow the hair flexibility and smooth cuticles.

Do you have the right tools? Buns and updos are good, but if you use bad tools, you could be causing more harm than good. Try to avoid metal pieces in hair scrunchies and ponytail holders, as they snag hair. Fabric ones are OK, and satin ones are even better. Clips are also a concern. If you can find a clip or hair tool without metal pieces and springs, it's golden.

Is your pony too tight? Everyone likes the look of a slicked-back ponytail, but if you have to tighten your ponytail holder to do it, you are hurting your hair. Pair this with wet hair, and breakage is very likely. Try to do a looser pony or use hair clips instead. If all your hair wont go in, use a few hair pins to pin loose layers in place. Also, wrapping the ponytail holder or scrunchie too many times around hair causes even more tension and can create weak spots in the scalp. Loosening the ponytail will alleviate this.

Other tips: Oiling the scalp helps when wearing the hair up for several days.

Try hair sticks, ficcares, hair zings, or other tools to keep hair up without damage.

Also, when smoothing the hair up, try to use the hands as much as possible. If your hair is relaxed, try a paddle or boar brush on mostly dry hair and apply product to edges. Naturals can use the same or even a Denman to smooth hair into place. It would be easier for naturals to do this on damp or somewhat damp hair, since manipulating dry natural hair can cause breakage.

HTH!

angel_hair
11-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for your wealth of knowledge. This is my personal challenge. I am wearing my hair up for the foreseeable future. I'll blow it out for special events and after that it's up again.

Wish me luck....

virtuouswoman
11-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Look at you giving advice!! Go 'head ISC!! :D

LOL I said the EXACT same thing when read his post...

Bodybutter
11-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Protective styling is a good thing. Rotate that pony tail to avoid same tension all the time.

evanny
11-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I like to use hair claws to do my updos. I don't use an elastic band, I just pull my hair up in the ponytail, twist it, and pit in the clip/claw. I also and a big fan of banana clips.

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/8/3/AAAAC33YO5wAAAAAAAg_dA.jpg

http://www.starletsandharlets.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SH-HC000113-2T.jpg

virtuouswoman
11-16-2009, 09:44 PM
I like to use hair claws to do my updos. I don't use an elastic band, I just pull my hair up in the ponytail, twist it, and pit in the clip/claw. I also and a big fan of banana clips.

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/8/3/AAAAC33YO5wAAAAAAAg_dA.jpg

http://www.starletsandharlets.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SH-HC000113-2T.jpg

I love the claws!! I like the way they make my hair fall!

Dividir
11-23-2009, 03:54 AM
I think it has all been said.
Too tight causes tension, and breaking at the edges.

Do you take it down every night? I would suggest that you dont sleep with it up/ tight as this will also cause breakage.

Also Make sure you moisturise all you hair, paying special attention to the bits exposed to the environment and the most tension because these are the bits that suffere the most

Sharii16
11-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, it depends.

Wearing the hair up is a great way of keeping the hair "out of sight, out of mind" and allowing it to grow. But you also have to consider a few things:

Is your hair dry before bunning? Bunning and doing updos on wet hair can cause breakage due to twisting and tension from clips, hair bands, etc. Try to do it on at least 50% dry hair. Also, if you must bun hair while wet, apply a natural oil thoroughly to the hair and ends to allow the hair flexibility and smooth cuticles.

Do you have the right tools? Buns and updos are good, but if you use bad tools, you could be causing more harm than good. Try to avoid metal pieces in hair scrunchies and ponytail holders, as they snag hair. Fabric ones are OK, and satin ones are even better. Clips are also a concern. If you can find a clip or hair tool without metal pieces and springs, it's golden.

Is your pony too tight? Everyone likes the look of a slicked-back ponytail, but if you have to tighten your ponytail holder to do it, you are hurting your hair. Pair this with wet hair, and breakage is very likely. Try to do a looser pony or use hair clips instead. If all your hair wont go in, use a few hair pins to pin loose layers in place. Also, wrapping the ponytail holder or scrunchie too many times around hair causes even more tension and can create weak spots in the scalp. Loosening the ponytail will alleviate this.

Other tips: Oiling the scalp helps when wearing the hair up for several days.

Try hair sticks, ficcares, hair zings, or other tools to keep hair up without damage.

Also, when smoothing the hair up, try to use the hands as much as possible. If your hair is relaxed, try a paddle or boar brush on mostly dry hair and apply product to edges. Naturals can use the same or even a Denman to smooth hair into place. It would be easier for naturals to do this on damp or somewhat damp hair, since manipulating dry natural hair can cause breakage.

HTH!

i always oil my hair up beofre i do any style for the day and im stretching also so im guessing the breakage could possibly coming from that too .