View Full Version : Deep Conditioning on Dry vs. Wet Hair

Sunshyne
06-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Just curious, do you ladies deep condition on dry hair or wet (right after shampooing) hair? Is there any differences?

I've tried both and I dont notice a difference. Many ladies swear by dc'ing before shampooing. Whats your take on it?

jasnian0313
06-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I actually do both sometimes...Most times I dc overnight and then I will shampoo and then condition again...after I shampoo though i only leave the conditioner in for about 2-3 minutes...i dont know why i am just so used to shampooing and conditioning that if it would feel weird if i just shampooed

Dividir
06-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I do it on wet hair, only becuase I like to do it after a a wash/ co-wash (to me that just sounded like half of a herbal essence sponser link)

ETA

Which do you think is better and why?

jasnian0313
06-16-2008, 11:39 AM
i dont know whats better either but id be interested to know too if somebody does know

denalove
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
I've always done on wet hair after a wash....but just recently after watching a hair care video, I've been enlightened that dry hair soaks it up better, kinda like a paper towel, when it's dry it absorbs better. As opposed to wet hair not. So maybe, maybe not. I think I may try it just to see if there are noticeable differences.

Sunshyne
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I've always done on wet hair after a wash....but just recently after watching a hair care video, I've been enlightened that dry hair soaks it up better, kinda like a paper towel, when it's dry it absorbs better. As opposed to wet hair not. So maybe, maybe not. I think I may try it just to see if there are noticeable differences.

Thats exactly what I heard. Dry hair absorbs the product better.

kita
06-19-2008, 03:49 AM
I thought that water opens the hair molecules and that it is better to rinse with cold water to close, if so the hair absorbs when the molecules are open, but I read on the back of my deep conditioner to rinse in warm water. I know that I apply a leave in conditioner everyday and my hair is dry. The product instruction reads for dry or wet hair. Hair is complicated. I am still learning.

The Anti Hair Slave
06-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I voted for wet. That's just always the way that I've done it.

Q-TPIE
06-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Always wet, never actually heard of doing it dry

missprincess011
07-16-2008, 02:46 AM
i do both (dc overnite and dc on wet hair)
i really cant tell a difference either but right after i dc i co wash (this is when i do it on dry hair) i think i actually may like the dry hair dc idk??

kara
07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
it's always been wet for me...never really heard on putting on dry.

Julia
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Just curious, do you ladies deep condition on dry hair or wet (right after shampooing) hair? Is there any differences?

I've tried both and I dont notice a difference. Many ladies swear by dc'ing before shampooing. Whats your take on it?

my take on it is if you have a good leave in cond. it is okay to do dry hair. I always spray some leave in on my hair to soften it up., several day of the week I really do both , when I am doing a deep cond. it is necessary to do it on wet hair. I really have not noticed a huge difference, just the leave in cuz it strengthens it during the day.

LadyLindis
07-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Wet, I've done both and prefer wet.

SHUGASWEET
07-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I Used To Condition On Wet Hair Because That Is What All The Instructions Told Me To Do.

Now I Do A Pre-poo, Which Is Using Oils/conditioner And Wraping The Head And Sitting Under Dryer And Then Washing As Normal.

Dividir
07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Thats exactly what I heard. Dry hair absorbs the product better.
That does make some sense!

LAst time I tried it it wasnt successful but that has nothing to do with the conditioner, more at the fact I was trying to get tape out of my hair so I didnt notice if there was any difference

savvynlady
07-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I tell you, I plan to try doing it on dry hair real soon if it does what you speak on. ;)

Cidney
07-30-2008, 12:01 AM
I like deep conditioning on dry hair. Conditioners has water in them and hair is like a sponge; my hair thrives on dry conditioning/co-washes.

MargaretLockwood
08-27-2008, 06:34 AM
I dont have much information about it ...

Ovarian Cysts No More (http://www.ovariancystsnomore.com/)

leentora
08-27-2008, 08:43 AM
I prefer wet as this is the way I have always done it, I have tried dry DC before don't see the point of it really, the wet DC the difference is in the quality of how my hair feels and if the ends are dry it softens them - I guess that is it really

Sunshyne
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
I would only DC on dry hair if I dont have a lot of build up or gels on my hair already, other than that...I DC on damp hair

leentora
08-27-2008, 09:12 AM
I would only DC on dry hair if I dont have a lot of build up or gels on my hair already, other than that...I DC on damp hair

When you DC on dry hair how long do you do it for? as I tried it and I don't do it on longer than say 20-30mins, other that wet strechty thing happpen to the hair.

Do you find DRY DC makes any difference?

Sunshyne
08-27-2008, 09:53 AM
I do it for 45mins-1hr with a plastic cap on , no heat. I like the results. Sometimes its a hit and miss though. So I dont do it often. When I do it though, My hair comes out fluffy, soft and smooth.

leentora
08-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I do it for 45mins-1hr with a plastic cap on , no heat. I like the results. Sometimes its a hit and miss though. So I dont do it often. When I do it though, My hair comes out fluffy, soft and smooth.

oh ok I see so there is no real technique to get it right, thx for that.

Sunshyne
08-27-2008, 10:06 AM
I think it depends on the conditioner. I remember there was a time when I mixed a whole bunch of conditioners (4-5 at a time) together, put it on my hair, and left it there for 2hrs and it came out beautiful. Then I tried it again and it didn't turn out so great. Probably is was the combination of conditioners that didn't work well?..Im not sure...lol

inspired mommy
09-14-2008, 07:15 AM
I deep condition on dry hair.
I mix ORS Replinishing Pak and honey. Apply it to my hair in sections. Put a plastic bag over my hair and leave it on overnight. I then wash my hair the next day.

bryonbrock
09-29-2008, 01:26 PM
wet and damp for me

Carolinagirl_22
09-29-2008, 02:56 PM
never heard of dry dc, but hey whatever works for you! I always do it wet!

CherriPepsi
09-29-2008, 08:22 PM
I've always done it on wet hair. I might try dry if it will save time.

keesh89
10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
always damp

DanceKendra
10-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I like it on dry hair it comes out much, much better!!! Alot of slip!

TelmyBelle
10-27-2008, 04:08 PM
so u dc over night then co wash (wash with conditioner?) the next day when u do it on dry hair correct?

ices.princess
10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I only DC after I clarify...so my hair is already wet.

HR Highness
10-31-2008, 06:48 PM
I do it both ways, but generally I do protein DC on dry hair, moisturizing DC on wet hair.

principessa1984
11-02-2008, 01:07 AM
yeah, same here!

Caribbean Gyal
11-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I usually DC on wet/dampt hair
It's just easier :)

Ladycc
11-02-2008, 02:16 PM
On wet/damp hair.

Aqua3Kiwi3
01-25-2009, 06:28 AM
I deep condition on wet hair with Herbal Essence Replenishing Conditioner. Deep conditioning on dry hair did nothing for me.

blkqueen1882
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I only dc on wet hair. I never even considered doing it on try hair before. That just doesn't sound right. DC'ing dirty, dry hair. I don't know I guess we all have our own ways of doing things.

CherriPepsi
01-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I tried to DC a few times on dry hair but I barely noticed a difference until adding a coconut/olive oil blend with peppermint and lavender essential oils.

Bodybutter
01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
I do mine both wet and dry. Dry when I will not be using shampoo afterward.

Tall, Black Canadian
01-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I personally prefer dry. I paint on the DC on my roots like I was doing my relaxer then either keep it on overnight or until I'm ready to shampoo and I feel like my hair is very moist and conditioned before I even apply my shampoo.

momoaries
01-25-2009, 03:59 PM
I have always DC'd on wet hair but I think i'm going to try it on dry tomorrow!!!

Mz. JJ
01-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I DC on dry hair and sit under the dryer for at least 30 min. My hair lovesss this. I remember someone having the best analogy for this method--dry sponges are able to absord more when its dry the same for my hair. It tends to respond better to the DC when applied to dry hair.

godiva
01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I voted "wet" as that was the routine I grew up with with, but am open to learning new things. So...is a dry DC the same as pre-pooing or an extended co-wash?

angel_hair
02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
I voted damp hair, but I am going to try it on dry hair.

Mz. JJ
02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I voted "wet" as that was the routine I grew up with with, but am open to learning new things. So...is a dry DC the same as pre-pooing or an extended co-wash?

I will say it is. I never pre-pooed before but the same technique is used when applying DC to dry hair.

mltaylor
02-08-2009, 05:02 PM
The best advice I've ever gotten from my hair dresser is after shampooing, dry your hair completely, then place the conditioner on your hair. This gives the conditioner a chance to stick to your hair instead of running from your hair. I've noticed more effect results when your hair is dry and I guess it depends on what kind of conditioner you use also.

LadyNaps
02-08-2009, 05:16 PM
i guess dry could kinda make sense because if your hair is wet it already soaked up lots of water. my only concern would be if you have any type of cones, dirt, oil, or product buildup you decrease the possibility of your hair actually taking in the DC well

Mz. JJ
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
i guess dry could kinda make sense because if your hair is wet it already soaked up lots of water. my only concern would be if you have any type of cones, dirt, oil, or product buildup you decrease the possibility of your hair actually taking in the DC well

That is a good point LadyNaps. If the hair has build-up from products, oils, etc. It would be best to wash hair, preferably with a clarifying poo, and then apply deep conditioner. Or, for those that wash more than once a week, the first wash day can be used for cleansing the hair and clarifying. The second wash day you can deep condition on dry hair--whatever works best for the hair.

mltaylor
02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Think about it...
Does your skin absorb lotion wet or dry? Same thing applies to your hair.

blkqueen1882
02-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Think about it...
Does your skin absorb lotion wet or dry? Same thing applies to your hair.

Actually I come right out of the shower and put baby oil on and start getting dressed. I don't use lotion in the winter because it doesn't last all day. It's just like your hair. The water provides moisture and the oil seals it in. It works great and keeps my skin soft and moist all day.

However I don't do it during the summer because I don't want to walk outside to my car covered in oil. You do have to watch your sun damage.

doremie13
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I DC on dry hair mostly for convenience. I wash my hair out in the shower and I don't like to get in and out of the shower. When it gets closer to relaxing my hair, I part my hair and put the conditioner on the new growth. Thanks Tall Black Canadian, because I think I got this from you...

angel_hair
02-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I tried dry DC, and I must say it was nice. I couldn't tell a difference, the results were the same soft hair.

OH, I used ORS and added EVOO, and I placed a plastic cap on, and let it set for hours lost count of actually how many.

Great Results!!

munchy
02-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I've done it on Dry hair and my hair feels good!

creolesugar
02-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I do it on wet/damp hair because it's easier to detangle for me.

Sunshyne
02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I've tried it on Dry hair and so far I don't like it. I think it's best for those with fine strands so that the DC doesn't weigh down the hair. I have thick strands so this doesn't work so well for me.

CROWN_GLORY
02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I voted DC on dry hair.
I initially did this because I didn't like getting in and out of the shower. Now I do it on dry hair because that's the instructions on my deep conditioner. I haven't seen a major difference in wet versus dry for my hair but I prefer dry instead.

brittbritt
02-17-2009, 07:38 PM
I've never tried it on dry hair.... Hum something to try in the future.

jade
02-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I got better results DC'ing on wet hair but DC'ing on dry hair saves time when I dont want to go back in the shower!

Shier
02-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Cantu Shea Butter works well on dry hair if you ask me. I wonder should I wash with this too. I might stick with this brand of conditioner.

blkqueen1882
02-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I got better results DC'ing on wet hair but DC'ing on dry hair saves time when I dont want to go back in the shower!

I usually wash the DC out in the sink instead of getting back into the shower.

creolesugar
02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
well I look at it this way--do you want to condition your hair or do you want to condition the water that's in your hair? ;)

evanny
02-22-2009, 06:51 PM
If I do it on dry hair, it's b/c I'm too lazy to get up and cowash or something first.

Brownelle
02-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but what is considered a deep contioner? Does the product label have to say explicitely that it is intended for deep conditioning or can any conditioner serve as deep conditioner as long as it stays on the hair for + or - 30 minutes? Is cholesterol a deep conditioner?

evanny
02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Brownelle! :) Here's something that I found online and posted it in my hair journal. I hgave the entire entry if you want to read it. It's very informational, but it's a little long.

The difference between instant and deep moisturizing conditioner is that deep treatments contain a quaternary ammonium component included in the chemical formulation of moisturizers so they are able to attach themselves to the hair fiber and provide longer lasting moisture.

Shier
02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but what is considered a deep contioner? Does the product label have to say explicitely that it is intended for deep conditioning or can any conditioner serve as deep conditioner as long as it stays on the hair for + or - 30 minutes? Is cholesterol a deep conditioner?

Any conditioner can be use as a deep or leave-in conditioner. Also, cholesterol is a deep conditioner which you can co-wash too if you like. Personally, I try to find a conditioner that I can use for deep. co-wash and leave-in. It's a headache using too many products just to lock in moister. :)

evanny
02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Any conditioner can be use as a deep or leave-in conditioner. Also, cholesterol is a deep conditioner which you can co-wash too if you like. Personally, I try to find a conditioner that I can use for deep. co-wash and leave-in. It's a headache using too many products just to lock in moister. :)

I'm not trying to be rude in any way, but I have to say that I disagree with this. Instant conditioners lack the ingredients necessary to penetrate into the hair to help minimize damage. Instant conditioners coat the hair. A true deep conditioner will say to leave it on the hair for 15-20 minutes with heat in the instructions, and it has molecules that are small enough to penetrate inside the hair. Here's a thread that helped me out:

http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/f11/definition-deep-condition-2093/ :)

Brownelle
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks evanny and Shier :)

mssnu
02-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Be careful using some meant to be washed out conditioners as leave-ins. They can harden on the hair and snap your strands off. I did this once as a young woman when I read in a magazine that Robin Givens left her deep conditioner on until her next wash. Why didn't I know that she was wearing wigs and weaves even back then. I was just young and believed everything they wrote in those hair mags.

As a matter of fact, I recently thumbed thru a hair mag that gave the worst hair advice I had seen collected together in one volume. On stylist said that he didn't see why you couldn't touch up your hair with a flat iron 2 -3 times a week at home after your salon visit. That is just crazy talk.

queenb1886
02-28-2009, 03:13 PM
i deep condis on wet hair

evanny
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks evanny and Shier :)

You're more than welcome. :)

naomimaxine927
02-28-2009, 09:28 PM
If a do a deep condition it's always after I do after I wash my hair. I never thought to do it on dry hair, so I voted for wet/damp hair.

MochaLFDyva
02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I used to do it on wet hair but lately (since I joined the site) I have actually been doing it on my hair when it is dry b/c I do it before I wash with Shampoo... My hair seems to be holding moisture longer since I have been doing it that way.

PurplePeony
03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
I always DC on damp hair. Follow the instructions on the bottle. Why do people always want to switch things up then the wonder why their hair is still dry or why it`s shedding? :confused:
To each his own :shrugs:

healthyhair37
03-31-2013, 04:25 PM
I have always done it on wet hair. That is all of known. How would you do it on dry hair?

ch1
04-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Think I will try that this weekeend, maybe add an oil CO or EVOO