View Full Version : Experiment: Castor Oil; Rosemary Oil & Peppermint Oil

leentora
10-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Castor Oil Facts:

http://skinverse.com/wp-content/castoroil_glass.JPG

Castor Oil prevents hair loss and regenerates hair
The anti-bacterial and anti-fungicidal properties of Ricinoleic Acid in castor oil protects the scalp and hair from infections which can cause hair loss. The Omega-9 fatty acids in castor oil also nourish the hair and prevent the scalp from drying.

Rubbing castor oil on your scalp and the roots of your hair will regenerate new hair growth within months. This will also thicken thinning hair.

Castor Oil keeps hair looking soft and shiny
Castor oil is a humectant as it draws moisture into the hair and skin. Applying castor oil on hair will keep it looking soft, shiny and strong.

Rosemary Oil Facts:

http://www.organicfacts.net/images/image/Rosemary.jpg

Rosemary oil is one of the most popular essential oils. It has become important to us due to its various health benefits including its ability to stimulate hair growth, boost mental activity, relieve respiratory problems and reduce pain.

Hair Care: Rosemary oil and rosemary teas are used extensively for hair care in shampoos and lotions. Regular use of rosemary oil helps in stimulating follicles, as a result of which, hair grow longer and stronger. It is also believed that rosemary oil slows down premature hair loss and graying of hair. Hence it is an excellent tonic for bald people. Rosemary essential oil is also beneficial for dry and flaky scalps. Regular massage of scalp with rosemary oil nourishes the scalp and removes dandruff. Further, it is often mixed with tea tree oil and basil oil to treat scalp problems.

Peppermint Oil Facts:

http://www.organicfacts.net/images/image/Peppermint.jpg

Oily Scalp
Although peppermint oil has a cooling, tingling effect when massaged onto the scalp, rest assured the oil is hard at work balancing the PH levels of your scalp to help put a stop to oily hair. Peppermint oil is actually an astringent which normalizes your scalp's oil production. An oily scalp produces excess oil which is then distributed throughout the hair; that creates greasy, oiled hair. Peppermint oil eliminates this problem and makes the appearance of greasy, flat hair a thing of the past.

Dry Scalp
Because of its PH balancing qualities, peppermint oil can also be used to treat the opposite problem: dry scalp and dandruff. And since the oil will be neutralizing the dryness on the scalp itself, it will take away any itching sensation associated with this social nightmare.

Moisturize
Peppermint oil is routinely paired with carrier oils such as almond, castor or olive oil. You will also find peppermint oil paired with other essential oils such as lavender, jasmine or wheat germ oil. Regardless of its companion, peppermint oil is frequently used as a moisturizer for the hair shaft. All you have to do is distribute a generous amount evenly throughout your hair. Wrap hair up in a shower cap or thin towel. Place a heated towel on top. Let the heat from the outer towel penetrate through your hair for twenty to thirty minutes. You may then reap the benefits of moisture rich hair.

Hair Growth
The tingling sensation mentioned above not only evens the playing field of the PH balance of your scalp, but it also stimulates your hair follicles and promotes hair growth.

leentora
10-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Ok do ya'll see that I am turning into some sort of hair doctor/scientist over here, I am trying to make a natural growth aid up in this joint :D, this is gonna be part of the new CO challenge for 2010.

Please be honest and tell me what ya'll think, do ya'll think this baby will work, by healing a little extra growth here and there?
If you don't see what I am getting at let me know and i will point it out to oyu :D :p

Post your comments and opinion :)!

Sharii16
10-24-2009, 01:16 PM
sooo leentora i never heard of peppermint oil....where can yu find it??

leentora
10-24-2009, 01:29 PM
sooo leentora i never heard of peppermint oil....where can yu find it??

Hey girl, how are you? I got mine from my local pharmacy, it cost me 1.99 for a tiny 10ml but you need few drops as it is strong! HTH :)

Sharii16
10-24-2009, 03:48 PM
im good!!,, thanks so much for your help....ima try that stuff for the SL-APL challenge!!

marchoftheblackqueen
10-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Sounds interesting Leen, I'm down to try it.

Alidasturn
10-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I think it will work... I already use peppermint and rosemary together!

leentora
10-25-2009, 01:55 PM
^^^^ I hope so, trying to figure out a natural growth aid lol as I am not into using the other miscellaneous things I have seen ppl mentioned on the net, nope not for me, I am too much of chicken!

SHIRO
04-15-2010, 06:48 AM
bumping...this would have been a good challenge.I have all this stuff at the moment...i'd have to sneak in a little coconut oil though-cant live withou it,it's like my hair's life line lol

evanny
04-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I am ready to try it!! I'll add some grapeseed oil to mine too, b/c I've seen some wonderful growth since I've started using it.

choshi1
04-15-2010, 09:41 AM
I have tried this concoction and I actually loved it, it tingles and it seems my hair/scalp thrived on it. Initially i started with just the three and the next batch I added wheatgerm oil (i think),

leentora
04-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Ladies you can add any other oils to the mix, I sometimes do coconut oil like Shiro or sweet almond oil.

Ok here is another: I have mix the concotion and scritched then apply the mixture lward is all I am saying, I dare you alot to try it lol :D I Double dare you alot :p

Iwanthealthyhair67
04-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Ladies you can add any other oils to the mix, I sometimes do coconut oil like Shiro or sweet almond oil.

Ok here is another: I have mix the concotion and scritched then apply the mixture lward is all I am saying, I dare you alot to try it lol :D I Double dare you alot :p

So when are we doing this again ???

SHIRO
04-16-2010, 12:45 AM

.I get plentiful of tingles with the stuff alone without scritching first,i can only imagine what would happen if i agitated the scalp and awakened the blood vessels and follicles first with the scritching.:)
peppermint is no joke...it's real!combine it with the warming rosemary and you get something lethal.well,i mean potent!

choshi1
04-16-2010, 01:54 AM
^^ITA we really should have another challenge and see how much growth we get.

Haneen
04-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Hey ladies, I have few questions for you :p
Are you using concentrated oils??
Do you use it as a pre poo??
What kind of castor oil are you using ( regular or black CO)??
& when do you start seeing results??

evanny
04-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey ladies, I have few questions for you :p
Are you using concentrated oils?? If you mean concentrated oils as in essential oils, they should always be diluted.
Do you use it as a pre poo?? If you mix essential oils and carrier oils then yes you can use them to pre poo.
What kind of castor oil are you using ( regular or black CO)?? I've received the hair growth that I have gotten during my hair journey using the regular castor oil. I'm going to try the JBCO soon to compare the two of them.
& when do you start seeing results??

I started seeing results in my bald/hairless area in about a month. IDK if it was even that long to be honest. HTH ;)

Ms Coco
04-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Castor Oil Facts:

The anti-bacterial and anti-fungicidal properties of Ricinoleic Acid in castor oil protects the scalp and hair from infections which can cause hair loss. The Omega-9 fatty acids in castor oil also nourish the hair and prevent the scalp from drying.

Rubbing castor oil on your scalp and the roots of your hair will regenerate new hair growth within months. This will also thicken thinning hair.

Castor oil is a humectant as it draws moisture into the hair and skin. Applying castor oil on hair will keep it looking soft, shiny and strong.

Rosemary Oil Facts:

Rosemary oil is one of the most popular essential oils. It has become important to us due to its various health benefits including its ability to stimulate hair growth, boost mental activity, relieve respiratory problems and reduce pain.

Hair Care: Rosemary oil and rosemary teas are used extensively for hair care in shampoos and lotions. Regular use of rosemary oil helps in stimulating follicles, as a result of which, hair grow longer and stronger. It is also believed that rosemary oil slows down premature hair loss and graying of hair. Hence it is an excellent tonic for bald people. Rosemary essential oil is also beneficial for dry and flaky scalps. Regular massage of scalp with rosemary oil nourishes the scalp and removes dandruff. Further, it is often mixed with tea tree oil and basil oil to treat scalp problems.

Peppermint Oil Facts:

Oily Scalp
Although peppermint oil has a cooling, tingling effect when massaged onto the scalp, rest assured the oil is hard at work balancing the PH levels of your scalp to help put a stop to oily hair. Peppermint oil is actually an astringent which normalizes your scalp's oil production. An oily scalp produces excess oil which is then distributed throughout the hair; that creates greasy, oiled hair. Peppermint oil eliminates this problem and makes the appearance of greasy, flat hair a thing of the past.

Dry Scalp
Because of its PH balancing qualities, peppermint oil can also be used to treat the opposite problem: dry scalp and dandruff. And since the oil will be neutralizing the dryness on the scalp itself, it will take away any itching sensation associated with this social nightmare.

Moisturize
Peppermint oil is routinely paired with carrier oils such as almond, castor or olive oil. You will also find peppermint oil paired with other essential oils such as lavender, jasmine or wheat germ oil. Regardless of its companion, peppermint oil is frequently used as a moisturizer for the hair shaft. All you have to do is distribute a generous amount evenly throughout your hair. Wrap hair up in a shower cap or thin towel. Place a heated towel on top. Let the heat from the outer towel penetrate through your hair for twenty to thirty minutes. You may then reap the benefits of moisture rich hair.

Hair Growth
The tingling sensation mentioned above not only evens the playing field of the PH balance of your scalp, but it also stimulates your hair follicles and promotes hair growth.

Sounds good i was thinking about this mixture a few days ago.

Iwanthealthyhair67
04-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Lee,

I have a question is Castor Oil 100% 100 USP is it limited in it's use; meaning can I also use it on my hair or is this just a laxative??

Castor Oil Facts:

Rosemary Oil Facts:

Peppermint Oil Facts:

Oily Scalp

Dry Scalp

Moisturize

Hair Growth

choshi1
04-30-2010, 05:41 AM
I have been using the laxative castor oil with good results, but I dilute it to improve it's absorbancy, I mix with coconut/wheatgerm/sweet almond or jojoba oils.

tcby16
09-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I started seeing results in my bald/hairless area in about a month. IDK if it was even that long to be honest. HTH ;)

Hi Evanny,

What exactly did you use in your mix? How often did you apply it? How often did you wash it out? TIA!

ggirl
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I didn't read this until today and would you believe that my bestie was over my house this weekend and we made this oil mixture :)

DiggyNaps
10-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Hey! How come I've never looked at this post? I've been on my castor oil, peppermint, rosemary binge since I started my HHJ. I'm now at a length that I'm happy with so I really don't even track the growth anymore. Lemongrass oil is a nice change up when your tired of smelling like a pack of gum tho.

Brilonghair
11-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Castor oil is greatly used in the west indies. I am Haitian American and we call castor oil by another name but I remember that it used to be used in my hair like crazy when I was younger. I may start to use it again now that I remember that it had great effects on my hair.

leentora
01-10-2012, 07:19 PM
I am getting sick of peppermint oil, I still love my Rosemary Oil and I need to get another bottle as I ran out. it is expensive also :(.

leentora
01-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Castor oil is greatly used in the west indies. I am Haitian American and we call castor oil by another name but I remember that it used to be used in my hair like crazy when I was younger. I may start to use it again now that I remember that it had great effects on my hair.

This is very true as my Grandmother use to use it on my hair as a child, it was all she used and my hair was just awesome and healthy :).

pixi
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I really liked castor oil but i think it should be used once or twice a month

PurplePeony
01-29-2012, 04:06 AM
I am getting sick of peppermint oil, I still love my Rosemary Oil and I need to get another bottle as I ran out. it is expensive also :(.

why are u sick of peppermint oil?

PurplePeony
01-29-2012, 04:07 AM
how did this experiment go? This combo sounds lovely.

leentora
01-29-2012, 06:48 PM
why are u sick of peppermint oil?

I use it so often the smell has started to get to me :o

leentora
01-29-2012, 06:50 PM
how did this experiment go? This combo sounds lovely.

It was a general experiment for anyone to do and see what result they got. The Peppermint & Rosemary has proven to be good in their Castor Oil or shampoo.

I need more Rosemary Oil!

PurplePeony
01-29-2012, 07:03 PM
thx leen....i need some essential oils

leentora
01-29-2012, 07:08 PM
thx leen....i need some essential oils

Your welcome, try e-bay or iherb.

PurplePeony
01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
:)k....checking

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
02-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I've heard so many good things about the castor oil but it smells so awful. Does anyone add anything to their to mask the scent? I have tried using tea tree oil in the past by my boyfriend said I smell like Pine Sol. Needless to say I am hesitant to try anything that smells.

leentora
02-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I've heard so many good things about the castor oil but it smells so awful. Does anyone add anything to their to mask the scent? I have tried using tea tree oil in the past by my boyfriend said I smell like Pine Sol. Needless to say I am hesitant to try anything that smells.

Try Rosemary or Thyme EO, they are not too strong in scent, but this is my personal opinion on it. My hubby has not complain about them yet LOL
Also apart form masking the castor oil smell they have other benefits tot he hair and scalp.

Debora
02-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Peppermint oil is an useful hair care product. Always take care that you do not apply peppermint oil directly to the hair. Instead, mix 2 drops of oil with 4 oz of water and then only apply it.

RONI
02-14-2012, 01:18 PM
I agree with the Castor oil,I have been using it since 2002.It has been great for my hair,thickness,length,moisture retention,and growth.Love the peppermint and rosemary oils too.I just haven't bought them in a while.But,they are great essential oils for stimulating growth.So,you try all 3 oils together,WOW,great growth:)!

PurplePeony
12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I`m gonna try this. I`ve never tried rosemary oil or peppermint oil

PurplePeony
01-21-2013, 08:04 PM
My rosemary oil & peppermint oil came in today. I`ll be trying this mix tomorrow.

sunshinegirl502
01-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Okay, here I go. Gotta find me some at health food store or maybe even Vitamin World.

PurplePeony
01-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I love the castor oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil combo. I also add some jojobo oil & olive oil to it. It makes my scalp feel so good & my hair so soft.

ch1
02-10-2013, 04:31 PM
After reading this thread few weeks ago I remebered I had some Rosemary oil, so I've added a few drops to my EVOO in a small spray bottle so far seems ok. Will go get some castor oil - never really understood its benefits - think its common in Jamaica shame on me for not trying it sooner! :o

PurplePeony
02-10-2013, 06:55 PM
After reading this thread few weeks ago I remebered I had some Rosemary oil, so I've added a few drops to my EVOO in a small spray bottle so far seems ok. Will go get some castor oil - never really understood its benefits - think its common in Jamaica shame on me for not trying it sooner! :o

Are you spraying it on your hair?
I really like this combo but I only put it on my scalp. Castor oil is kinda sticky plus it`s an astringent so it`s a no go on my ends but my scalp thrives with it. I know it works for some but it just didn`t work on my ends.

ch1
02-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Are you spraying it on your hair?
I really like this combo but I only put it on my scalp. Castor oil is kinda sticky plus it`s an astringent so it`s a no go on my ends but my scalp thrives with it. I know it works for some but it just didn`t work on my ends.

Yes, well both hair and scalp -mainly at the back as my hair is coarser and tends to lose moisture there most. My hair is braided in cornrows under my half wig so I spray every other day or so and damp the braids with water too some nights.

Not got the castor oil yet......:sleep:

Barbara
02-27-2014, 09:55 PM
I like threads like this.