View Full Version : What kind of oil do you mix in your conditioner?

PrincessRN
09-19-2009, 06:20 PM
So I have read all the post from you ladies who have great results from adding a little oil to you conditioner. I want to try this but I have a few questions.

1. Which oil should I use , I am debating between olive oil and jojoba oil. Which one do you think will work better?

2. How much oil should I add so that it works but is not greasy? ( I am currently using Yes to Carrots conditioner and it comes in a 16.9 ounce bottle) How much should I mix in a full bottle?

Thanks in advance for all your help!! :D

marchoftheblackqueen
09-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I haven't tried mixing oil in my conditioner but I suggest you try both olive & jojoba & see which you like best. Not sure how much you would have to put in, I'd just make an educated guess. Bumping for answers!

godiva
09-19-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm currently mixing coconut oil in my condishes. Both of the ones you mentioned are good; try them both alone and together to see which you like. I'd recommend mixing in another container/bowl on an as-needed basis. That way, you're not out of a whole bottle if you don't like it.

Amina
09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Ditto on Godiva's answer...

I love mixing in EVOO or EVCO in a separate container of course.

naomimaxine927
09-20-2009, 12:38 AM
I've used regular olive oil.

BritishPound
09-20-2009, 03:48 AM
I tried it for the first time with the CON nourishing/strengthening treatment, but i think i was over ambitious!!! It was the first time i was using it and there was no slip and felt like a loada mess sitting on my head!! :confused:I used 3 different oils so next time, im going to try it with no oil at all to see how it works with my hair on its own; then if thats successful i will try one oil at a time.

PrincessRN
09-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Ditto on Godiva's answer...

I love mixing in EVOO or EVCO in a separate container of course.

How much do you mix in? I'm afraid if I put too much it will be greasy. I was guessing about a tablespoon. Is that too much or not enough?

PrincessRN
09-20-2009, 10:21 AM
I tried it for the first time with the CON nourishing/strengthening treatment, but i think i was over ambitious!!! It was the first time i was using it and there was no slip and felt like a loada mess sitting on my head!! :confused:I used 3 different oils so next time, im going to try it with no oil at all to see how it works with my hair on its own; then if thats successful i will try one oil at a time.

Which oils did you use British Pound? How much of each oil did you mix in ?

PrincessRN
09-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I've used regular olive oil.

I think I will try with the olive oil first. About how much oil do you mix in ?

PrincessRN
09-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm currently mixing coconut oil in my condishes. Both of the ones you mentioned are good; try them both alone and together to see which you like. I'd recommend mixing in another container/bowl on an as-needed basis. That way, you're not out of a whole bottle if you don't like it.

Thank you for this suggestion Godiva. I will mix it in a separate container when I try it. I hadn't thought of that :p

CherriPepsi
09-21-2009, 12:33 AM
I've only tried coconut oil. I've yet to try almond. Coconut I like.

Amina
09-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Start off with teaspoons, then increase if needed. You don't want the hair to be weighed down with the oil by adding Tbsp.

Mix it in really well in a bowl first, then apply it on the hair.

Ms. Bing
09-22-2009, 07:11 AM
I use evoo in my dd's she has ver dry 4b natural hair and it seems to do well.

evanny
09-22-2009, 09:30 AM
I use what ever oil I feel like using. I've used EVOO, EVCO, grapeseed, sweet almond, vitamin E, Jojoba, avocado, and castor oil. I've loved the results of all of them. I've never really had an oily head afterward either....

leentora
09-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I have a few oils which I experiement with from time to time, sometimes I apply the oil to my hair as a pre-poo then rinse and apply the conditioner, just to experiement, but I have or had a few conditoners that brilliant whenever I had oil to them.

I would add a certain amount of oil according to the amount of conditioner I use say a big serving spoon amount to my conditioner, mind you my hair is very thick so this amount of oil to my conditioner once rinse does not weigh my hair down, but as Amina says start out small and gradually add more oil if needs be, until you understand how much your can take. HTH

Oh the oils I have used are as follows:

Castor Oil
Coconut Oil
Wild Growth Oil
Kemi Oyl
Jojoba Oil
Almond Oil
Pure Mustard Oil
Smooth 'n' Shine Therapy Silk Fusion (Roots 'n' Ends) Repair Oil - have not tried as of yet!

Alidasturn
09-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I add several drops of cedar oil... it is supposed to help stimulate hair growth. And I love the smell!!

ac22ford
09-22-2009, 06:08 PM
I add several drops of cedar oil... it is supposed to help stimulate hair growth. And I love the smell!!

Hmmm, cedar oil. That's a new one to me. Gonna have to try it out soon. Does it actually smell like cedar? I love that smell 2!!

ac22ford
09-22-2009, 06:09 PM
I tried putting evoo in my v-05 condish on Sunday night and OMGoodness, I fell in love with it. I am going to try it with jojoba as well. Almond oil is known to be a more light weight oil.

Alidasturn
09-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Hmmm, cedar oil. That's a new one to me. Gonna have to try it out soon. Does it actually smell like cedar? I love that smell 2!!

Yes, it actually smells like cedar!!

PrincessRN
09-25-2009, 03:34 PM

Hmmm...interesting. Where do you buy cedar oil?

PrincessRN
09-25-2009, 04:31 PM
So thank you everybody for all of your routines and suggestions. I did try mixing EVOO in my conditioner and I loved it! Now that I am transitioning, I find my hair (especially my relaxed hair) to be extremely dry. Oil definitely gives an extra boost to the conditioning process. Now I am going to experiment with different oils and see which ones I like best. You guys have given me a lot to choose from....even some I never heard of before! :D

evanny
09-28-2009, 12:35 PM
YAY!!! Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the update!:D

Siberia_McLean
11-01-2009, 07:28 AM
If you mix oil and your conditioner together, what does it do?

Amina
11-01-2009, 07:55 AM
If you mix oil and your conditioner together, what does it do?

Read this bhp blog entry (http://www.blackhairplanet.com/blog/wake-conditioner/)...it tells it all. Oils give the conditioner an extra "kick".

Bodybutter
11-01-2009, 03:27 PM
I add grapeseed, almond or coconut oil to a 'bad' conditioner. My regular routine is to oil my hair first then heatcap for about 30 minutes, con-poo after an hour or more{without the heat cap if more than 30 mins.} I always deep condition after every poo. Long process but so worth the effort.

Sharii16
11-04-2009, 03:23 PM
im actually using african pride....but im using B&B Growth oil so im alternating now and then....but when i use it ALL up im getting my trusty olive oil and castor oil

PrincessRN
11-04-2009, 06:27 PM
So I have now tried jojoba oil too. I liked it, but it is a lighter oil, and trying to manage these two textures I think I need something a little heavier so I have switched back to EVOO.

leentora
11-04-2009, 07:57 PM
So I have now tried jojoba oil too. I liked it, but it is a lighter oil, and trying to manage these two textures I think I need something a little heavier so I have switched back to EVOO.

You can also try castor oil too, it is a much heavy oil and very very good too I loves it, also Amla oil is brilliant also! HTH

PrincessRN
11-05-2009, 08:39 PM
You can also try castor oil too, it is a much heavy oil and very very good too I loves it, also Amla oil is brilliant also! HTH

Thanks Leen, I have been using castor oil to seal my ends every night and also for growth on my bald spot. It is very heavy so I was afraid to mix it in my conditioner but since you mix it with good results I will have to try it. I also keep hearing good things about this Amla oil. I have not seen it in the BSS but now I am dying to try some. where can I find it?

leentora
11-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks Leen, I have been using castor oil to seal my ends every night and also for growth on my bald spot. It is very heavy so I was afraid to mix it in my conditioner but since you mix it with good results I will have to try it. I also keep hearing good things about this Amla oil. I have not seen it in the BSS but now I am dying to try some. where can I find it?

I am sure you will like the resuts from mixing in the castor oil with your conditioner nice results :) the Amla you may have to try your local indian grocers or try these online site >>> Hesh Herbal Powders (http://www.theindianfoodstore.com/health---beauty-hesh-herbal-powders.html) OR >>> TheIndianFoodStore.com - Indian Food & British Food, Health & Ayurvedic Products, Nestle Cerelac, and more! (http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=yhst-17500552758088&.autodone=http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-17500552758088/nsearch.html&query=hesh) HTH

lamaria211
11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
i have been using olive oil but i cant say for sure i notice a great difference

evanny
11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
i have been using olive oil but i cant say for sure i notice a great difference

Try a different oil and see if you see a difference. ;) You may notice what the olive oil was doing for your hair after you switch to another oil.

LisaLisa
11-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I add olive oil and coconut oil to my conditioners,and I also like to use honey.

Barbara
11-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I add 15 drops of olive oil and 15 drops of any other oil (such as vegetable, jojoba, or almond) to a 3 to 4 ounce jar of conditioner.

lamaria211
11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
im gonna try coconut oil and avacado

evanny
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I add olive oil and coconut oil to my conditioners,and I also like to use honey.

Heck yeah, honey is the business!

lamaria211
11-10-2009, 11:47 AM
does anyone have avacado oil? ive been mashing up the fruit and adding it

evanny
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
does anyone have avacado oil? ive been mashing up the fruit and adding it

I use it. I bought it at Whole Foods.

lamaria211
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
where do you live?

jricia
12-26-2009, 10:18 AM
coconut oil and EVOO. I also add honey to my DC with coconut oil and EVOO.

Choconom
12-26-2009, 11:31 AM
I tried adding coconut oil to my DC and what a difference! My hair was super soft, NG was very managable, and it felt more moisturized. I also saw an immediate difference to some of my ends(a little damaged, need a trim desperately). Will definitely use this with every DC from now on :D.

Barbara
12-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Oils certainly do the trick even in shampoos.

hair4me09
12-26-2009, 08:00 PM
I mix JBCO/WGO/Honey...

naomimaxine927
12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Olive Oil. I may try some castor oil.

PrincessRN
01-02-2010, 07:39 AM
I am definitely loving olive oil and castor oil. I still have to try this amla oil that everyone keeps raving about!

leentora
01-02-2010, 08:45 AM
I am definitely loving olive oil and castor oil. I still have to try this amla oil that everyone keeps raving about!

I know tell me about CO mixed it with your DC, I love it and it leaves my hair soft and easy to detangled, the Amla oil is great as a pre-poo! I mix it a couple times with my DC, but I love it as an overnight pre-poo and I wrap my hair with a sarang wrap and throw my scarf on and in the morning I co-wash.

But now I am using Maka Oil!

Vermelha
01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
^^^Ooooh...Maka Oil! That sounds like...yum!

I need to be putting oil in my conditioner...I totally forgot to do that. I used to put castor in mine for a creamier conditioner, but I don't have anymore...I'm probably going to put some EVCO in my Suave Ocean...something conditioner (lol). It was a 30 oz bottle for $1.66...You can't effing beat that deal!

leentora
01-02-2010, 10:22 AM
^^^Ooooh...Maka Oil! That sounds like...yum!

I need to be putting oil in my conditioner...I totally forgot to do that. I used to put castor in mine for a creamier conditioner, but I don't have anymore...I'm probably going to put some EVCO in my Suave Ocean...something conditioner (lol). It was a 30 oz bottle for $1.66...You can't effing beat that deal!

Honey child I love me some Maka Oil, it make the hair so smooth when I pre-poo with it over night, and it is also a nice spice up to any DC.

:eek: $1.66 for 30oz bottle of conditioner you Americans do have the good life, surely can not beat that price.

Vermelha
01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Honey child I love me some Maka Oil, it make the hair so smooth when I pre-poo with it over night, and it is also a nice spice up to any DC.

:eek: $1.66 for 30oz bottle of conditioner you Americans do have the good life, surely can not beat that price.

LOL...yeah. Conditioner runs like water here...I can go to a gas station and find a bottle of conditioner...hilarious. I've never gotten so much conditioner for so cheap before. I should have bought like 5 of them.

But the GOOD conditioners are more expensive. They are like $8 and up here. Best believe that, if I had the money, I would have gotten a better conditioner. I just had a few dollars that day and I needed conditioner BADLY...

princessTiana
01-02-2010, 10:59 AM
evoo, coconut oil, and rosemary .

Vermelha
01-02-2010, 11:08 AM
evoo, coconut oil, and rosemary .

Heyy...Suave Coconut has coconut and rosemary extract in the ingredients! I just realized that! I love this conditioner. I did it almost the same as your mixture, but I used to add EVOO to the Suave Coconut conditioner. Coconut is no joke!

choshi1
01-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Amla, EVOO and coconut oild

jusstoya
01-28-2010, 12:29 AM
jbco, evoo, & evco

SHIRO
01-28-2010, 03:55 AM
coconut oil

hanna_light
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I like EVOO and EVCO

PrincessRN
01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm trying coconut oil for the first time tonight (still love EVOO & jojoba oil!)

Educated Black Woman
01-28-2010, 11:38 PM
EVOO for me!!!!

adelh
02-10-2010, 01:48 AM
i use wen oils as an overnight treatment -mixed with amla, brahmi or kalpi tone powder. I mix coconut oil in my knot today leave in, and leave it in until i wash again. works like a charm.

choshi1
02-10-2010, 05:12 AM
EVOO, amla, vatika

PrincessRN
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm trying coconut oil for the first time tonight (still love EVOO & jojoba oil!)

Did not love the coconut oil. Really didn't do much for my hair. I will stick with EVOO for now and still looking to try amla oil when I can ever find it.

Iwanthealthyhair67
02-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Amla Oil, EVCO, EVOO, Castor Oil - aslso EVOO to my last relaxer turned about nice, shiny and soft

Sharii16
02-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Now . I'm Mixing Coconut And Castor Oil In My Conditioner . I Will Be Purchasing Amla Oil And Trying It Out Seperately . Wish Me Luck !

DiggyNaps
09-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Sweet almond, jojoba, or black castor oil.

PrincessRN
09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Loving coconut oil right now. Plan to try grapeseed oil next!

naomimaxine927
09-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I think I will try with the olive oil first. About how much oil do you mix in ?

Wow, this question is a year old to date!

I never measure lol

Halibel
09-20-2010, 08:01 PM
^^^^ haha, right. I just pour 'til I feel like stopping, lol.

evanny
09-20-2010, 08:51 PM
^^^ So do I. I used to measure when I first started caring for my hair, but now I don't care anymore. lol

ac22ford
09-21-2010, 02:54 AM
I've been on the coconut oil kick too Princess. It's the only oil I use for my DC's. When I'm pre-pooing, I will use my lovely jabakusum oil.

PrincessRN
09-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Wow, this question is a year old to date!

I never measure lol

I never measure anymore either lol. This question is from when I first did it and had no idea how much to put in. I was afraid at the time that my hair might come out greasy. Now that I have been doing it for a year, I am an old pro thanks to you ladies!

Wow, time really flies doesn't it?

PrincessRN
09-21-2010, 05:52 PM
I've been on the coconut oil kick too Princess. It's the only oil I use for my DC's. When I'm pre-pooing, I will use my lovely jabakusum oil.

Isn't coconut oil just divine??!!! My hair loves it. Uh, AC, please excuse my ignorance, but what is jabakusum oil :confused:

StL Princess
09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Castor oil as i am doing the challenge

ac22ford
09-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Coconut oil is one of my favorites. I need to try it for sealing but I'm a little scared. Like it will clump if I'm in a really cold room or when the weather gets cold.

Isn't coconut oil just divine??!!! My hair loves it. Uh, AC, please excuse my ignorance, but what is jabakusum oil :confused:

Amazon.com: Hesh Jabakusum Herbal Hair Oil 200ml *New*: Health & Personal Care

It's this lovely oil right here. Warning, it has mineral oil and when I purchased a couple bottles over in the US, it smelled like donkey pee. Had to have Leen shipped from across the pond.

PrincessRN
09-22-2010, 05:59 AM
^^^It sounds really great!!! Thanks for the warning. I will definitely smell it before purchasing, lol.

sunmoonstarzone
09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I use pure extra virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil