View Full Version : Blow Dryer VS. Flat Iron

ac22ford
09-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I wanted to see what y'all thought was better to straighten and maintain healthy natural hair.

I plan on straightening my transitioning hair a couple times this winter and want to find whats better, the blow dryer or the flat iron. I'm more worried about my curls reverting back to curly than having the absolute straightest hair (of course If I can get both, that'd be great!!)

I've heard stories of people loosing their natural pattern after flat-ironing, but rarely, if ever do I hear about this happening with the blow dryer.
Even when I was fully relaxed, I had a hard time with the flat iron, my hair never got as straight as when I would use a blow dryer. I can only imagine how it will be on my new growth.

Which do y'all prefer and why?
Do you use a heat protectant and is so, which one?

P.S. When I blow dry, I use the oblong dryer with the comb attachment.

naomimaxine927
09-17-2009, 05:21 PM
I say def use a heat protectant. But I'll go with flat iron, because a blowdryer, at least the one I have, doesn't get my hair straight.

marchoftheblackqueen
09-17-2009, 05:42 PM
If your hair is easily straightened blow dryer. If it takes a bit more flat iron but keep it on the lowest setting your hair will straighten with. I'm gonna try using both since my hair is resistant to both separately. I lovee the tresseme heat protectant, it made my hair so shiny & I had very little damage.

Vermelha
09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I wanted to see what y'all thought was better to straighten and maintain healthy natural hair.

I plan on straightening my transitioning hair a couple times this winter and want to find whats better, the blow dryer or the flat iron. I'm more worried about my curls reverting back to curly than having the absolute straightest hair (of course If I can get both, that'd be great!!)

I've heard stories of people loosing their natural pattern after flat-ironing, but rarely, if ever do I hear about this happening with the blow dryer.
Even when I was fully relaxed, I had a hard time with the flat iron, my hair never got as straight as when I would use a blow dryer. I can only imagine how it will be on my new growth.

To be honest, it doesn't matter. Misuse is probably the only way you'll truly cause damage to your hair. It's more about the technique, not the tool in this case.

For instance, if you prefered to use the blowdryer instead of the flat iron as a safer alternative, yet you fail to either use a heat protectant, use too high of a temperature or do it too often, you may end up causing damage. Also, if you take a flat iron that's scorching or you flat iron too often, you can also end up with the same result.

I would just say try to use the blowdryer and either a comb attachment or a round brush and some sort of smoothing creme to keep the hair flexible and from breaking. The round brush gives the right amount of tension (depending on the size you use) and gets the hair very straight.

But if you're like me and your coordination is lacking, you could simply use the flat iron on airdried hair. Just be sure that it's properly detangled and that you use a fine-tooth comb when doing it, otherwise it wont get as straight as possible.

And finally a heat protectant, more like some sort of pressing pomade or creme, would do well IMO. Just be sure to keep the temperature at a medium level at the highest, since you plan to do this regularly, I presume. 400 degrees on a regular basis can be just too much for the hair, no matter what heat protectant is used. HTH.

ac22ford
09-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Thank you all. Very helpful info, I am so scared to straighten my hair, I probably will only do it once or twice with blow dryer w/attachment and a protectant, and just do knots and braids most times. Just wanted to see what everyone prefers.

Andre Lott
09-18-2009, 05:40 AM

AC22Ford,

You mentioned that you are concerned about straightening your new growth, I would suggest trying a new product called the EdgeStick. I saw hairstylist Kevin Kirks demostrate the EdgeStick on TV a few days ago.

Andre Lott

ShEiSsOiNsAnE
09-18-2009, 07:36 AM
i use flat iron cause i cant blow dry my own hair my hair too coarse anyway

what are some good heat protectants???

angel_hair
09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I heard about the edge stick as well. I don't know anyone who has used it though.

HairObsessed
09-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Air dry you hair, take SMALL SECTIONS (I can not stress this enough) and use one of the LOWEST SETTINGS on the flat iron. You should have great results. USE A HEAT PROTECTANT and DON'T PUT OIL ON YOUR HAIR BEFORE YOU FLAT IRON. Frying you hair like french fries is what reverts your curl pattern.

ac22ford
09-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Air dry you hair, take SMALL SECTIONS (I can not stress this enough) and use one of the LOWEST SETTINGS on the flat iron. You should have great results. USE A HEAT PROTECTANT and DON'T PUT OIL ON YOUR HAIR BEFORE YOU FLAT IRON. Frying you hair like french fries is what reverts your curl pattern.

Great tips....we shall have noo french fried hair up in here! My hair doesn't usually like the air dry thing, but I will try again. Usually it's not until I try thing 3 or 4 times, that I get it right after all.

HairObsessed
09-22-2009, 05:38 PM
YouTube - Straightening natural hair, My 1 Year hair growth update

I LOVE HER HAIR!!! Check out how Saleema does it!

HairObsessed
09-22-2009, 05:43 PM
See how SMALL HER SECTIONS ARE for flat ironing? That's what gets it straight!

ac22ford
09-22-2009, 06:52 PM
OOhhh, she making me want to straighten my hair right now!

Babbie
10-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Hi

Ever thought of roller set and lightly blow drying or flat ironing the new growth. Some Dominican hairdressers roller set and blow dry your hair very straight.

ac22ford
10-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks Babbie. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do rollersets. I wish I did though because it would help tremendously. . .

It sounds like naturals have to use both to get their hair straight. Or just the flat iron, but I know that won't work for me.

Sharii16
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
definitely put heat protectant in your hair.....i use profectiv daily strenghtner but i believe that flat ironing is best if you want your hair straight....blowdrying can help tooo i have a technique....but ill type it in a minute!

Dividir
02-08-2010, 03:28 PM
i use flat iron cause i cant blow dry my own hair my hair too coarse anyway

what are some good heat protectants???

I use hair protectants designed for white/ European hair. Like chi.

You can try blow drying your hair in smaller sections, my regrowth is 4b texture and I can blow dry my hair. It just take a little time and patience. And some moisturiser, it makes it a lot easier

ac22ford
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm going to try the Aphogee Green Tea reconstructor when I flat iron (Got my Sedu today! Whoo hoo!!!).

It's not a heat protectant, but works like one from what I hear.