View Full Version : The Ph of Aphogee products

evanny
09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Aphogee products claim to be "PH optimized" on their labels. So does this mean that they have low PH's to bring down the PH of the hair?

leentora
09-15-2009, 11:13 PM
It has the properties within the products to balance your hair's pH, whether the pH is below 4.5-5.5 I am assuming the aphogee line will help to restore the pH in your hair to 4.5-5.5 or if the pH is above 4.5-5.5 is should be able to balance and restore the proper pH levels. it has this exclusive complex ingredient called PropHytamie, I am assuming this is why they can claim to be pH optimized, I will have to research that 'PropHytamie'!

evanny
09-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks so much!!! This explains a lot! My hair has been feeling and looking so good since I've been keeping up with my apohogee products one a week. I used Roux mendex instead of aphogee and it seemed that all of my work went down the drain. :( back to my beloved aphogee and Nexxus products. They've been working so well together in my hair.

Vermelha
09-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Aphogee products claim to be "PH optimized" on their labels. So does this mean that they have low PH's to bring down the PH of the hair?

It means that the pH is "optimized" to neutralize the pH of the hair. It's nearest to the natural pH of the hair, thus maintaining the hair's pH balance. Like an ACV rinse, pH optimized products help close open cuticles, thus alleviating problems like porosity and weakness.

BTW, my porosity has officially been corrected due to pH balancing with baking soda and ACV. My hair has never been healthier and my shedding has been greatly reduced.

evanny
09-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I noticed that my shedding was basically non existent since I started using the Aphogee and Nexxus lines exclusively on my hair. I added Roux porosity control and my shedding is wild and out of control! :eek: Whether my hair is wet or dry! So that is what made me wonder about Aphogee and if the products I was using was the reason for it. I'm convinced now. I won't be using any other product lines. Aphogee for protein and Nexxus for moisture. My hair had never looked or felt as good as it had the last couple of weeks before I ruined it with Roux products. :( I really wanted to like them too.

ac22ford
09-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks so much!!! This explains a lot! My hair has been feeling and looking so good since I've been keeping up with my apohogee products one a week. I used Roux mendex instead of aphogee and it seemed that all of my work went down the drain. :( back to my beloved aphogee and Nexxus products. They've been working so well together in my hair.

Which aphogee products do you use and how do you use them? I tried the 2-min reconstructor and didn't seem to feel a difference in my hair. But I saw most of their products on sale at Sally's the other day and am tempted to try a couple items. What would you recommend? My NG in the front is dry. TIA

evanny
09-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Which aphogee products do you use and how do you use them? I tried the 2-min reconstructor and didn't seem to feel a difference in my hair. But I saw most of their products on sale at Sally's the other day and am tempted to try a couple items. What would you recommend? My NG in the front is dry. TIA

I use the 2 minute as well. I use it once a week b/c I'm relaxed and we need the protein. (Not sure if you're relaxed as well. :)) I also use the Aphogee 2 Step a couple of days before my relaxers. I use the Aphogee deep moisture shampoo (a DEFINITE staple!), Aphogee provitamin leave in, and the Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Spray. I have the balancing moisturizer, but IDk what it's supposed to do b/c it's hot garbage on my hair. I most definitely recommend the Keratin green tea spray. It's awesome if you decide to use heat on the hair. It protects it from damage and gives the hair such a shine! It also helps protect the hair from becoming porous, as do the other Aphogee products. The other product that I wanted to recommend is the deep moisture shampoo. A lot of ladies try the shampoo for damaged hair and hate it, so they don;t give the deep moisture one a chance. It really is a GREAT shampoo and you don't have to use a lot of it at all. It does contain sulfate though. :o I only use it once every two weeks. I use shampoo once a week and alternate thje aphogee shampoo and the Nexxus Botanoil shampoo. I really like the provitamin leave in, but a lot of ladies hate it, or feel that it does nothing for the hair. I use it in conjunction with the green tea spray for heat services. I even use them together and let my body heat do the magic, I follow up with a moisturizing leave in of course. The 2 minute has helped to stop my breakage and such, once I had regularly started using it. These products with Nexxus leave ins and Nexxus DC's have helped my hair tremendously. I shouldn't have tried to fix something that wasn't broken. I'm telling you, I had very little shedding, and no breakage when I was doing that, and the look and softness of my hair had other people asking me what I was doing with my hair. :(

Aphogee's on sale?! I have 2 Sally's right next to my house!! I'll be going there. Thanks soooo much! Sorry that was so long. :o

ac22ford
09-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Thank you so much!! I will try the deep moisture shampoo and give the 2-min another try as well. And once I start using direct heat again I will try the tea spray.

evanny
09-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Thank you so much!! I will try the deep moisture shampoo and give the 2-min another try as well. And once I start using direct heat again I will try the tea spray.

You don't even have to really wait until you start using direct heat again. It works with your body heat as well. Since I read in your siggy that you're transitioning/have transitioned I don't think you'll have to use the aphogee line as much or as often as I do. Vermelha's natural and she uses Aphogee, she'd be a great person to ask for natural ladies. ;)

evanny
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
So I'm here with news! I emailed Aphogee this morning and asked for the PH of several products that I use from them and he just emailed me back! Here's what he said:

Mrs. Evanny,

Following are the ph's for each of the products you requested:

ProVitamin Leave-in Conditioner - 6
Deep Moisturizing Shampoo - 5
Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor - 5
Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer - 3

I know you are asking why the Restructurizer is so low. The reason the Restructurizer is low is to keep the protein active. The protein is meant to close the cuticle and build strength and body.

Thank You.

I emailed Nexxus too, and hopefully they'll email me back as well. I want to email Sally's about the PH of some of the Silk Elements products too....

I think this is the reason why my hair felt so good when I was using only Aphogee and Nexxus products exclusively. Maybe my hair was already balanced and it didn't need the Roux stuff too. IDK, but I now have further reason to just stick with those two lines only.

evanny
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I forgot to email him about the 2-Step! I'll have to do that too.

evanny
11-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Okay so Nexxus just wrote me back and said this:

Thank you for contacting Nexxus Salon Hair Care regarding your interest in our company and its products. We are happy to supply you with the information that you have requested.

The pH of Phyto Organics Humectin Conditioner is between 4.5 - 5.5.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you again for contacting Nexxus Salon Hair Care.

Sincerely,

Michelle Brennan
Consumer Relations Representative

So that kinda put me off b/c I'm wondering if this person really even knows the Ph of the product we're talking about. She gave a range whereas the Aphogee representative gave an explanation as to why one of the product's Ph was so low! I do feel a bit better knowing that my products PH's aren't ridiculously high or low for that matter.

***So I called and they said that pretty much all Nexxus producrs have a Ph of 4.5-5.5 except for the Nexxus Ensure which is a acidifying conditioner so it has a Ph of 3.***

lamaria211
11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
so are these anything like ROUX products V?

evanny
11-06-2009, 01:21 PM
so are these anything like ROUX products V?

IMO they aren't. Roux is designed to correct the porosity of the hair, whereas Aphogee replenishes the protein content of the hair and it has products that are pH balanced so the help the hair not get overly porous. That's my understanding.....

creolesugar
11-06-2009, 08:40 PM
So I'm here with news! I emailed Aphogee this morning and asked for the PH of several products that I use from them and he just emailed me back! Here's what he said:

Mrs. Evanny,

I know you are asking why the Restructurizer is so low. The reason the Restructurizer is low is to keep the protein active. The protein is meant to close the cuticle and build strength and body.

Thank You.

I emailed Nexxus too, and hopefully they'll email me back as well. I want to email Sally's about the PH of some of the Silk Elements products too....

I think this is the reason why my hair felt so good when I was using only Aphogee and Nexxus products exclusively. Maybe my hair was already balanced and it didn't need the Roux stuff too. IDK, but I now have further reason to just stick with those two lines only.

thank God I didn't get the two things you said are useless today lol

Next time I go to Sally's I'll get the Moisturizing Shampoo but today all I got was the Pro-Vitamin Leave-in. I already have the 2 min DC and the Keratin Green Tea spray :D

Saunta2
11-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Okay so Nexxus just wrote me back and said this:

Thank you for contacting Nexxus Salon Hair Care regarding your interest in our company and its products. We are happy to supply you with the information that you have requested.

The pH of Phyto Organics Humectin Conditioner is between 4.5 - 5.5.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you again for contacting Nexxus Salon Hair Care.

Sincerely,

Michelle Brennan
Consumer Relations Representative

So that kinda put me off b/c I'm wondering if this person really even knows the Ph of the product we're talking about. She gave a range whereas the Aphogee representative gave an explanation as to why one of the product's Ph was so low! I do feel a bit better knowing that my products PH's aren't ridiculously high or low for that matter.

***So I called and they said that pretty much all Nexxus producrs have a Ph of 4.5-5.5 except for the Nexxus Ensure which is a acidifying conditioner so it has a Ph of 3.***

I love messaging Aphogee the guy who responds is very thorough with his explanations, and answers quite quickly too.

evanny
11-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Saunta he sure does. When I messaged Nexxus, the lady who responded gave me a range that the products where in, whereas he gave me the actual pHs of each and every product I asked about. The first time I messaged Nexxus, they didn't even respond! :mad:

evanny
11-07-2009, 09:55 AM
thank God I didn't get the two things you said are useless today lol

Next time I go to Sally's I'll get the Moisturizing Shampoo but today all I got was the Pro-Vitamin Leave-in. I already have the 2 min DC and the Keratin Green Tea spray :D

Let us know when you use the provitamin leave in! I think I'm one of the few who likes it. I actually love that product! Especially when paired with the Green tea spray.

creolesugar
11-07-2009, 09:09 PM
I wish the leave-in was a cream. Maybe I'll get a spray bottle to pour it in.

evanny
11-07-2009, 11:54 PM
I wish the leave-in was a cream. Maybe I'll get a spray bottle to pour it in.

They don't already sell it in the spray bottle where you live? If not, that sucks.

CherriPepsi
11-08-2009, 12:06 AM
It's not easy getting the moisturizing shampoo. I have to search for it or trek an hour to a Sally's and if it's no SLS like you say... I'm SOLD and it will so make up for Cream of Nature's SIN AGAINST MY HAIR!!!! :mad:

evanny
11-08-2009, 12:08 AM
It's not easy getting the moisturizing shampoo. I have to search for it or trek an hour to a Sally's and if it's no SLS like you say... I'm SOLD and it will so make up for Cream of Nature's SIN AGAINST MY HAIR!!!! :mad:

There's SLS in it. :( It just works wonders, for it to have SLS in it. Well, my hair only likes shampoos with SLS. :o A lot of people haven't heard of the deep moisturizing shampoo though. It's quite odd.

lamaria211
11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
thanks for the tips about aphogee evanny i forgot why i bought them in the first place now im using them again and my hair is thanking me for it

evanny
11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
You're very welcome Lamaria! :)

lamaria211
11-10-2009, 12:21 PM
so i dont have a sallys near my house uhhh! where eles can i get the deep moisture shampoo and do you know the ph of it?

evanny
11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
The deep moisture shampoo has a pH of 5. You should be able to find it at any BSS. The Korean owned ones carry it too, where I live, but I buy it from Sally's.

lamaria211
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
so is aphogee 2 min a medium or light protein treatment? i dont have a medium protein treatment, and what about ElastaQp anti breakage serum

evanny
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
so is aphogee 2 min a medium or light protein treatment? i dont have a medium protein treatment, and what about ElastaQp anti breakage serum

For me, the 2 minute is a light protein, but lots of other ladies say it's a medium protein with their hair. I've never tried Elasta QP.

lamaria211
11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
i found the deep moisture but i couldnt buy it they only had a huge bottle and i have 4 other shampoos i want to use up first, but you know me i might have it by tonight

LisaLisa
11-17-2009, 07:57 PM
I like the 2 Min Reconstructor and Provitamin leave in and dont really care for the other products in the line.

evanny
11-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I emailed Aphogee again. I asked about using the provitamin leave and the green tea spray on the same day, I asked about leaving the 2-minute reconstructor on for 10-15 minutes, and I asked about the pH level of the 2-step treatment. I got back a LOT of valuable information and I just knew I had to share it with you ladies. Including information as to what the balancing moisturizer is really for:

Mrs. Evanny,

Don't feel bad about asking questions, I enjoy providing the correct information.

You can leave the Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor in your hair for 10 - 15 minutes. Nothing drastic will happen to your hair. The reason we mention 2 minutes is for ease and you get a large majority of the benefit in the first two minutes. If you leave it in longer, you won't hurt your hair and you should see a little better help.

You can use the Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer with the Pro-Vitamin Leave-in Spray. Since they are both leave in sprays, I would not use them on the same day together just so you don't over product your hair. I would recommend alternating between the two sprays. On days that your hair needs protein to build body, I would use the Keratin & Green Tea. On days that your hair needs moisture, I would use the Pro-Vitamin Leave-in Spray.

The ph of the Two-Step Protein Treatment is 3.0. It has the acidity of lemon juice. This is why as part of the instructions, the Balancing Moisturizer has to be used as the final step of treatment process. This is a specialty treatment that requires both steps and following the directions exactly as directed. The Two-Step Protein Treatment is a complex product, but it is the best product on the market for stopping hair breakage.

(From my understanding of what he told me, the balancing moisturizer is used to bring balance back to the hair. Not so much a moisture balance, but bring the pH balance back. The last time I did the 2-Step treatment, I did the balancing moisturizer for a couple minutes and then I used a very moisturizing DC afterward. It was AWESOME!!! My hair felt SOOOOO GOOD!!! For a long time afterward too!)

I hope the above helped.

Thank you.

lamaria211
11-20-2009, 08:36 AM
thanks E im glad you had a good experience

evanny
11-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Me too! I didn't have a good one with Nexxus. :mad: The first time I emailed them, they didn't even write me back!

lamaria211
11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
i have heard alot about nexxus changing their ingredients so maybe theyre scared

evanny
11-20-2009, 11:04 AM
i have heard alot about nexxus changing their ingredients so maybe theyre scared

They changed the ingredients of the Humectress conditioner a little while back. I think it's b/c they were making the Phyto Organics line and b/c they were allowing their signature line to be sold in regular stores. I still like the Humectress though.

Lady Hawk
11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
You can use the Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer with the Pro-Vitamin Leave-in Spray. Since they are both leave in sprays, I would not use them on the same day together just so you don't over product your hair. I would recommend alternating between the two sprays. On days that your hair needs protein to build body, I would use the Keratin & Green Tea. On days that your hair needs moisture, I would use the Pro-Vitamin Leave-in Spray.

Very informative. I use both the Keratin & Green Tea and the Pro-Vitamin Leave-in on the same day. I will start to alternate from now on.

evanny
11-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Very informative. I use both the Keratin & Green Tea and the Pro-Vitamin Leave-in on the same day. I will start to alternate from now on.

I did too! I'm going to alternate, although I didn't see anything bad with my hair when I used them on the same day.

Lady Hawk
11-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I did too! I'm going to alternate, although I didn't see anything bad with my hair when I used them on the same day.

Me neither. I learned about Aphogee from watching an Ateyaa video on Youtube. She used both on the same day, and I copied her technique.

jessy828
11-23-2009, 11:25 PM
I read that you used both together the aphogee and the nexxus how is this working for you i did the two step treatment but i used the nexxus shampoo that i have been using before and its great but when i did the 2 steps after the balancing moisturizer my hair felt great until i started drying it. it was kind of dry so this morning i went to sally and got a moisture and silky treatment and used nexxus again and my hair is better!!! but i have heard great things about aphogee i just dont want to give up on it!! i also heard that for it to work you have to use the whole line product but i have read ppl using nexxus including you, so can you tell me about your experience and how often you use your nexxus and your aphogee plzz thanks....

evanny
11-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I read that you used both together the aphogee and the nexxus how is this working for you i did the two step treatment but i used the nexxus shampoo that i have been using before and its great but when i did the 2 steps after the balancing moisturizer my hair felt great until i started drying it. it was kind of dry so this morning i went to sally and got a moisture and silky treatment and used nexxus again and my hair is better!!! but i have heard great things about aphogee i just dont want to give up on it!! i also heard that for it to work you have to use the whole line product but i have read ppl using nexxus including you, so can you tell me about your experience and how often you use your nexxus and your aphogee plzz thanks....

You don't necessarily have to use the entire aphogee line to gain benefits from the 2 step treatment.The way that I do it, I clarify my hair first, then I wash with a moisturizing shampoo (either one of my nexxus shampoos or the aphogee deep moisture shampoo), Then I do the 2 step treatment, after it's 100% dry, I rinse my hair with water until it's soft; making sure not to agitate the hair, after my hair is soft I then use the balancing moisturizer (I leave that on for about 5 minutes or so), and then I deep condition with a Nexxus deep conditioner for however long I decide to leave it in. It's usually for more than 1 hour.

A lot of people don't like the 2-step treatment b/c they either don't follow the directions properly, or b/c they don't follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner after performing the 2-step. The 2-step is strictly protein. There are NO moisturizing properties to it. If you don't do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment after the 2-step, the hair will become dry, brittle, and it will break- which is the opposite of what the treatment is designed to do. It's IMPORTANT to regain the balance between protein and moisture in your hair when you do the 2-step treatment. The balancing moisturizer is used to get your hair's pH back up to the normal range (the 2-step is very acidic), so it is needed. But it won't add back the moisture that your hair really needs. If you balance the 2-step treatment with a good moisturizing deep conditioner afterward, then your hair will benefit and flourish from the 2 step treatment.

I regularly use Nexxus in my hair. Whenever I need to wash it, or whatnot I use Nexxus shampoos or Aphogee's deep moisturizing shampoo. The only conditioners that I use are by Nexxus. I use them to cowash (only sometimes b/c they're expensive), I use them to do quick 10 minute conditioning on my hair, and I use them for deep conditioning treatments when they stay on my hair for 1 hour or more. I use Nexxus leave ins and such too. I use Aphogee for my protein needs. Since I'm relaxed I do a light protein treatment (Aphogee 2-minute) once a week, and I do a heavy protein treatment (Aphogee 2-step) once every 6 weeks. Since I stretch my relaxers 12 weeks now, I've fixed so my first 6 weeks I'll do the 2-step a couple days before my relaxer day, and I do my 2nd 6 week 2-step treatment in the middle of my relaxer stretch. (I hope that made sense.) I ALWAYS make sure to follow up both the Aphogee 2-minute treatment and the Aphogee 2-step treatment with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

jessy828
12-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanx for the Respond I think I got it, so just alternate between them I gave been using the aphogee for about a month now and it's great, but sometimes feel like using my nexxus so I might use it today I put the 2 steps with it and the leave in hopefully I will get great results

evanny
12-22-2009, 08:32 AM
^^^Don't forget to let us know how it turned out. ;)

hair4me09
12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Also what I had to learn about Aphogee is like with the Deep Moisture Shampoo that's exactly what it's going to give more of...moisture. And with the Shampoo for Damaged hair well that one has more protein (if you need extra protein...jump for this). I would alternate between both shampoos weekly or monthly however you have you regime set up. The damaged hair shampoo does leave hair a little funky feeling but that's because of all the protein that you just put on your hair. After using this one I would moisturize greatly...I hope this helps some!

evanny
12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Also what I had to learn about Aphogee is like with the Deep Moisture Shampoo that's exactly what it's going to give more of...moisture. And with the Shampoo for Damaged hair well that one has more protein (if you need extra protein...jump for this). I would alternate between both shampoos weekly or monthly however you have you regime set up. The damaged hair shampoo does leave hair a little funky feeling but that's because of all the protein that you just put on your hair. After using this one I would moisturize greatly...I hope this helps some!

Exactly! That's why some women hate the shampoo for damaged hair. I think it's b/c they aren't aware of how much protein is in that shampoo.

hair4me09
12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
I know...it has loads of it but it works great! Aphogee is a REALLY great product. I have also heard that if a little oil is mixed with the Damaged hair shampoo then it really performs well...just a thought!

evanny
03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
bump............

helpmyhairplz
05-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Where can you get Nexxus products from?

evanny
12-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Where can you get Nexxus products from?

I never saw this post for some reason. I apologize, For those of you who are still wondering, I buy the regular Nexxus products at the grocery store. Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Target, Kmart, they all have them. I get the salon version (The Phyto Organics line) from JCPenney salon. They sell them the cheapest out where I live.

healthyandstrong
07-14-2013, 11:46 AM
I emailed Aphogee again. I asked about using the provitamin leave and the green tea spray on the same day, I asked about leaving the 2-minute reconstructor on for 10-15 minutes, and I asked about the pH level of the 2-step treatment. I got back a LOT of valuable information and I just knew I had to share it with you ladies. Including information as to what the balancing moisturizer is really for:

Mrs. Evanny,

Don't feel bad about asking questions, I enjoy providing the correct information.

You can leave the Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor in your hair for 10 - 15 minutes. Nothing drastic will happen to your hair. The reason we mention 2 minutes is for ease and you get a large majority of the benefit in the first two minutes. If you leave it in longer, you won't hurt your hair and you should see a little better help.

The ph of the Two-Step Protein Treatment is 3.0. It has the acidity of lemon juice. This is why as part of the instructions, the Balancing Moisturizer has to be used as the final step of treatment process. This is a specialty treatment that requires both steps and following the directions exactly as directed. The Two-Step Protein Treatment is a complex product, but it is the best product on the market for stopping hair breakage.

(From my understanding of what he told me, the balancing moisturizer is used to bring balance back to the hair. Not so much a moisture balance, but bring the pH balance back. The last time I did the 2-Step treatment, I did the balancing moisturizer for a couple minutes and then I used a very moisturizing DC afterward. It was AWESOME!!! My hair felt SOOOOO GOOD!!! For a long time afterward too!)

I hope the above helped.

Thank you.

If the 2 Step protein treatment has a ph of lemon Juice 3 and needs the balancing moisturizer why does the green tea reconstructor have a PH of 3

Saunta2
07-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Mrs. Evanny,

Thank You.

The reason is given in this post from earlier. I bolded it for you.

ch1
07-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Exactly! That's why some women hate the shampoo for damaged hair. I think it's b/c they aren't aware of how much protein is in that shampoo.

I didn't either :eek:, Funnily enough I alternate between this Aphogee shampoo and Keracare moisturising shampoo and even then thats just 2 shampoos a month ....

Maybe I subconsciously detected something lol!!