View Full Version : Braids = Growth???

Dividir
06-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Do cornrows help you hair to grow?

I want to either wrap my hair under a wig, or cornrow it, Which do you think is the healthier option?

The same amount of "low manipulation" will happen in both instants

denalove
06-06-2008, 09:59 PM

I want to either wrap my hair under a wig, or cornrow it, Which do you think is the healthier option?

I think the cornrows would be healthier, cause cornrows aren't as stressful to hair as smaller braids. I was always taught that braids grow hair. My grandmother was a stylist and she was a true plait/braid fanatic. She braided my hair in these big braids every summer and my hair would have grown so much when she took them down. Well to make a long story short, I think the cornrows would be healthier. Just moisturize it well before. JMO

Dividir
06-07-2008, 06:31 PM
thanks Dena... I guess cornrow it is... does anyone else have any experiences?

cwoman
06-08-2008, 12:30 AM

I do and I love the cornrow method. I can actually see the growth better and I am abble to do scalp messages easier with cornrows. Also when using a topical growth aide it is easier for me to apply it with the CR's in.

Ashfast
06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
It will help it grow just ake sure you keep them moisturized and not dry(scalp too).

browneyedgirl
06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
I was very close to doing micros. Since then I am now considering individuals for the summer. I know braiding=growth from experience!

~Da_Real_Truth~
07-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Braids do not grow the hair. It just helps your hair retain length.

guyanesesista
07-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Braids do not grow the hair. It just helps your hair retain length.

Yup was just about to say this. It helps retain growth because of the low/no manipulation. But all that has the potential be lost if you don't moisturise/care for it properly. And watch out for your hairline.

Ashfast
07-08-2008, 03:22 PM
OOOHHH please dont do micros because they take about three strands of your hair and put them with the weave and when you take it out your hair is either broken or extremely weak. And your not going to want to keep them moist becausr they dont look right like that. Just a suggestion to you. Sew ins are better if you dont want to wear your own hair all you have to do is make sure she doesnt braid any edges in! And yu can get a little oil bottle and oil your scalp while you have it

T-Bone
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I think braids does equal growth from experience.

Talisa
07-12-2008, 02:17 PM
i used to do both cornrows n micros while i braided my hair.
i think the reason y "braids =growth" is basically bcz ur hair is able to relax while not being touched n messed wit too much so it gets a rest. but its real imprtant to moisturize that scalp while in braids so that ur scalp dusnt dry out (or start flaking. not cute), n also so that ur natural hair can get sum moisture.
when i used to braid my hair id apply a small amount of ORS carrot oil to my scalp n massage that in.
hope this helps

Julia
07-14-2008, 04:25 PM
I Braid Mine Under Lacefront And Yes, I Do Think It = Growth, Which Is Why I Do It

Dividir
07-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I guess Im going to stick to the cornrows under my unit then!

stefie116
07-17-2008, 11:19 PM

Well,my mom braids my hair in the summer time,and i oil my scalp everyday with MOtions Pink hair lotion,and when they get taken down,it grows usually about 4 inches.I beileve the cornrows are healthier if done,and maintaned properly.

CREODiiVA
07-23-2008, 09:50 PM

I Think they both are good.......They are both rotective styles so you should be fine and see good Results as long as you keep you natural hair underneath it healthy.......Im currently in Braids which I've had for a month ..I Plan to have them in another 2 months.........TRYING TO STRETCH THE RELAXER :o

AFRICAN HAIR
07-28-2008, 01:27 AM
YES CORNROWS DO MAKE YOUR HAIR GROW.. BUT ITS NOT JUST THE CORNROWS ITS THE PROCESS YOU DO WHILE YOU HAVE THE CORNROLLS IN YOUR HEAD.. FOR EXAMPLE I'LL GET MY HAIR BRAIDED && I WILL WAIT ABOUT 4 DAYS BECAUSE THE BRAIDS ARE STILL FRESH && DONT NEED TO BE OILED RIGHT AWAY.. THEN THE 4TH OR 5TH DAY I WILL OIL THEM. I USE OLIVE OIL FROM THE GROCERY STORE PURE OLIVE OIL.. && SPRAY MASSAGE RUB WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT IN MY SCALP.. I DO THIS EVERY OTHER DAY OR ABOUT 3-4 TIMES A WEEK.. BY THE TIME ITS TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE YUR BRAIDS OUT YU WILL SEE THE NEW GROWTH && SEE ALL THE MOISTURE IN THE SCALP && BEGGINING PART OF THE HAIR..

jasnian0313
07-28-2008, 03:19 PM
i dont like braiding my hair at all but two years ago when i was growing my hair out before i cut it again i french braided my hair every night (either in two or one) and then in the morning i would have either loose or tight waves...i would just wash my hair and condition it like normal and then add a moisturizer and do the french braids and leave my hair styled like that until a week passed and then i would wash again...it actually gave me alot of growth too. cause just like everyone else is saying i wasnt manipulating with my hair alot and there was no heat to my hair...

goodluckcharms
12-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Do you suggest doing cornrows more than sew-ins? The last time I got a sew-in, I saw new growth but I am not sure if I should switch to cornrows now.

GrumpyAlyson06
12-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I say do a sew-in...its really just braids for a while...kinda a long protective style! i've done 3 and ALWAYS see good new growth :)

munchy
12-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Cornrows do help RETAIN the length, which equals GROWTH. I've been stretching since august, and I swear by the 'cornrow law'... :) I also co-wash it (with the cornrows still in) every 3-5 days. I let it air dry and put my lace front on in the morning, and I am so good!!

Plushdream
12-22-2009, 09:07 AM
braids are good for giving your hair a break from combing, heat, etc.

i used to braid my hair and use evoo and my hair was down to my bra.

cwoman
02-28-2010, 05:57 AM
bump it now !!!!

naturally_kinky
02-28-2010, 08:25 PM
I do and I love the cornrow method. I can actually see the growth better and I am abble to do scalp messages easier with cornrows. Also when using a topical growth aide it is easier for me to apply it with the CR's in.

yea i agree!! easier to work with IMO:)

Curlgenie
03-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Braids are low manipulation so they retain length hence the growth that you receive. IMO I think braids work well very well indeed

naomimaxine927
03-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Hoping I have retained some length, can't wait to see!

MsMingo32
03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
just wanted to say i have been natural for about six months and march 1st i decided to get my hair braided with hair but its cornrows cause i dont like all the heavy plats do i plan on taking these out june 1st letting it breath for a week or two and get it done again im trying to reach shoulder length hair by January 2011 so wish me luck all im on it any tips and advice would be really helpful and my hair maybe was 1/2 inch when i started the natural challenge :)

Pynkdiamonds
04-20-2010, 03:01 PM
i think braids help grow hair and retain length also..ive been wearing them for almost six months and ive had great growth.

Halibel
04-20-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't think braids help grow your hair out per se. I just think since its low manipulation when wearing them u notice your growth more because you're not in your hair everyday styling and whatever.

Dividir
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I used to think tight braids grew your hair, because the were pulling your hair out of your scalp.... not realising tight braids were pulling your hair out of your follicles

Naemamaz
06-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Braids help your hair grow a lot

naomimaxine927
06-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Wish I could wear braids this summer :(

Couture Hair
06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Yes! I'd say so. I wear sell & wear Full Lace Wigs and I always have my hair braided underneath . I have to say my hair say my hair has grown more (and is healthier) in the last few years than ever before in my life!

NFW_THA_QUEEN13
06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes they do make hair grow. Cornrows would be better because under your wig the hair won't tangle with cornrows as it would with just hair out.

almond_joy
09-20-2010, 10:05 PM

yes i love cornrow they are my protective style.they make my hair grow.

devyrokana
10-14-2010, 02:22 AM
go 4 it. do what u need to :da fool:

SpeshialKae
10-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Theu Dnt Specifclly help hair growth...they just retain length since you arent touching or combing your hair.

eyekandy22
10-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I retained length doing braids and cornrows, but when I tried to comb my 4B hair today, I think I lost some of that extra growth. So unless I keep my hair in braids indefinitely, I still gotta figure out how to keep the length when my hair's out of braids. So braids are a Great thing for growth.....temporarily :)

tyff says WHOA
10-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I've only had cornrows once & I can't remember how long they lasted or if they really gave me much growth. I'm sure I had new growth... I don't see why one wouldn't... But I do know that singles are good for growth. I love those! haha

niles02
10-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I prefer individual braids over cornrows. As a child I got phenomenal growth and maintained thickness while wearing the thick Janet Jackson braids. Medium sized box braids also worked well in my late teens.

rubygirl
06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I got my hair braided (individual) a few days ago and was wondering how long it'd be okay to keep them in for? I was going to take them out in mid August, but my mom suggested that I leave them in until December. I'm transitioning, and I don't know which option would be better for my hair.

Dividir
06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I got my hair braided (individual) a few days ago and was wondering how long it'd be okay to keep them in for? I was going to take them out in mid August, but my mom suggested that I leave them in until December. I'm transitioning, and I don't know which option would be better for my hair.

I would take them down when they look too messy. If you can braid, when they start to get messy I redo the perimeter, and where I part my hair, so it looks ok for a little longer, I moisturise oil wash and condition my hair when it is in braids too

rubygirl
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Okay, I guess I'll see how long it maintains a pleasant look before taking them out. Thanks!

ReddBarbiie
07-05-2011, 02:52 PM
I actually would recommend pinch plaits over micros because micros are small to the point where they break off those teeny tiny strands they use to make them where as pinch plaits are bigger but small enough to still be versatile as far as styling is concerned-but less stress ful on your edges. I always ask my braider to not put any braids directly on my hairline because the weight will cause thinning.

valerie82
07-08-2011, 08:25 AM
hi everyone,im new.last week i relaxed my hair,and two days later added medium sized braids to it.im also using moisturizing growth lotion,and im excited to see if this will work! i really wish i could do without relaxers,but the texture of my natural hair is extremely coarse,and idw touch it,let alone comb it.does anyone knw how to combat such a head,without relaxers?