View Full Version : Can I grow out my relaxer instead of cutting my hair of to go natural??

Tiny'smom
08-27-2009, 03:55 AM
I don't want to cut all my hair off again. I also have not seen anyone grow out their hair from the length mine is or was when I got my hair braided, which was basically ear length. Not long at all. I had to cut my hair due to me do my own weave and with glue! Bad Bad idea and I knew it, but I was desperate and broke.

marchoftheblackqueen
08-27-2009, 04:05 AM
There's really no way to get rid of relaxed hair except to cut it off. You can grow your hair & then cut it when you feel comfortable with the length of natural hair.

newtodo
08-27-2009, 05:34 AM
My plan is to keep my hair in braids or weaves until it gets to a length where I can cut off the relaxed hair. I currently have just over an inch of natural hair so when it is a little big longer I can cut it. Probably at the beginning of next year.

Amina
08-27-2009, 05:56 AM
It is definitely possible to grow ur relaxed hair out without doing the BC (big chop). U simply retain ur length by letting the hair grow (utilizing protective styles is best) while trimming off the relaxed hair at the ends regularly. That is all apart of the transitioning process. Many ladies are doing so right here on the forum :Check the transitioning (http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/f23/transitioning-672/) thread:
Eventually, all of the relaxed ends will be cut off. How long u decide to transition is up to u (depending on what length u want and how often u keep up w/ur trims), but a transition to Ear Length won't take too long at all (< a year). HTH

Tiny'smom
08-27-2009, 05:59 PM
It is definitely possible to grow ur relaxed hair out without doing the BC (big chop). U simply retain ur length by letting the hair grow (utilizing protective styles is best) while trimming off the relaxed hair at the ends regularly. That is all apart of the transitioning process. Many ladies are doing so right here on the forum :Check the
Eventually, all of the relaxed ends will be cut off. How long u decide to transition is up to u (depending on what length u want and how often u keep up w/ur trims), but a transition to Ear Length won't take too long at all (< a year). HTH

Yeah, I'm going to keep protective styles as long as I can, braids and twist and then when long enough for pony tail, a bun. I was at ear length before the braids, plus was post relaxer about a month and a half and now have had the braids in for a Month and one week. So I don't know where I'm at right now under these braids, but I am shooting for back to chin length by end of year and shoulder length by this time next year.

ac22ford
08-27-2009, 06:08 PM
I think it's possible. I going to transition for 1 year and 5 mos before my BC (next June). I've read people to go over 2 years transitioning. Like someone said earlier, you can transition until you are comfortable with the length of your new growth.

naomimaxine927
08-27-2009, 09:37 PM
The closest thing you can do, is just let your hair grow out, and trim an inch or so every couple of weeks. But in order to be considered fully natural, all relaxed hair must go.

Tiny'smom
08-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I think that's pretty much what I'll do then. I don't think I can go through another complete chopping. I'm so tired of going back and forth because I want long hair. I have to commit to this and I'm finally ready. If only I had done it a long time ago, I would probably have surpassed my goal. Of course I didn't have all the information I have now due to this great forum and all the beautiful people here. Seeing is believing:)

Halibel
08-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Well we all have your back Tiny during this transition....so hop on the boat with the rest of natural hopefuls. :)

simplysloan
08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
You don't have to BC to go natural. Im currently transitioning myself and trimming my ends as I go.

But you're going to need to get rid of the damaged relaxed hair at some point. Because of the point where your new natural hair and the permed hair meet are very fragile and you risk breakage and damaging your new growth.

LadyLikeGfx
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes it is possible, this is actually what I went through the past 2 and half years. I didnt want to do the big chop so I just used protective styles throughout the years to transition with, and really I know people say you have to cut the permed ends off but I never had to do a dramatic cut to the ends of my hair, more like a trim because I had already grown my natural hair out completely. I'll post up pictures sometime soon

acupofmagic
08-30-2009, 06:24 PM
that's what i plan on doing. short hair does NOT look good on me. i've been 5 months post relaxer so far and i have 4.5 inches of natural roots. i'm going to transition as along as possible. my aunt's sister grew out her relaxer and her natural hair is so pretty. it may take me more months to years but im not gonna do a BC at all. nope.

naomimaxine927
08-30-2009, 07:14 PM
I might do a grow and trim it out as time goes on, although I do like the idea of getting rid of it all, and knowing that all of it is natural, and not having to guess where the relaxed part starts.

ac22ford
08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Here is some inspiration for us long-term transitionsers

Public Home | Cinnamin- BIG CHOP 6/25/09 | Fotki.com (http://public.fotki.com/Cinnamin/)

She went for 2 years and 2 months!!

Bodybutter
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Definitely you do not have to BC if you do not want to. I gradually trimmed ends along the way then one day saw how pretty my natural hair was with twists and allowed the relaxed parts to be cut off. What a relief...I felt so, so free.

elizabeth123
09-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Growing out a relaxer is a nightmare, its been 25 months since i had a relaxer and ive had it trimmed cut it. all the relaxer has grown out the back, its just at the front and side now ;-(

naomimaxine927
09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I want to cute my relaxed ends, I can tell where they are when my hair is all straight and sticks together.

MsStarr
09-27-2009, 10:01 PM
well that is what i did was kept my hair in braids and weaves as i transitioned which i did for about year and half and then then there was only a small section in the front of my head where i trimmed the relaxer piece..... so you don't necessarily have to have the BC to start your transitioning to being natural