View Full Version : How to best care for my weave?

newtodo
08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I am getting my first weave on Thursday. I'm going to Florida in 2 weeks and I just wanted to know how to look after the weave and the hair underneath. What sort of products should I buy and how should I use them?

Thanks

virtuouswoman
08-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Okay are you getting a sew in? If so, you just have to make sure that you still wash and condition your hair under the sew in. Try not to use any heavy shampoo that will weigh down the weave because that will make it heavier. Make sure you massage your hair with the shampoo and conditioner so that it can get in the hair. I recommend sitting under a hooded dryer when drying and make sure that your WHOLE head is dry, not just the weave. Forgetting to dry the whole head can cause the hair to smell like mildew and you don't want. When I used to get sew ins I would wash and condition every two weeks, but if I worked out more then usually I slide in an extra day or so. Just take care of your hair just like its your regular hair. What kind of hair did you buy?

When using products remember, a little goes a lonnng way. Don't get too heavy handed!!!

newtodo
08-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the reply. It is a sew in that I am getting. I have some sensationnel human hair. Do I need to spray anything on the weave itself?

virtuouswoman
08-26-2009, 03:54 AM
depends on the hair, is it remy hair or just the sensationnel human hair?

newtodo
08-26-2009, 03:58 AM
I'm pretty sure it's remy. What if it isn't? Sorry I am so completely new to this and I want to make sure that it looks good. I'm going to Florida in 2 weeks and I hear their hair is always on point so I don't want mine looking a hot mess!

virtuouswoman
08-26-2009, 04:03 AM
its okay, we don't mind helping, thats what we're here for. If it is remy hair (i think sensationnel calls it goddess) then you should really only need a glosser just to make it easier to comb or brush. If its not remi then you may have to use a bit more. Remember not to be so rough on the weave when you're combing or brushing, I all ways used a wig brush with my hair but remember to be gentle because even though its a weave the tracks are attached to your hair and you don't want to keep yanking it and cause a strain on your hair.

Are you getting a full sew in or a partial?

newtodo
08-26-2009, 04:12 AM
It's going to be a full sew in with none of my hair out

virtuouswoman
08-26-2009, 04:19 AM
ok thats a good thing, just make sure that you wrap it up at night, i usally used a regular scarf and you can actually try wrapping the weave as well, i used to wrap my sew ins all the time and they came out looking pretty good. Just remember whenever you do wash it to get your hair underneath don't forget about it because it still needs to be taken care of. And when you're drying your hair try using a hooded dryer or a bonnet dryer and make sure your hair is completely dry before finishing. Feel your actual hair, don't touch the weave to determine if your hair is dry or not because the weave will dry faster than your hair.

You have any other questions? I used to get sew ins all the time lol

newtodo
08-26-2009, 04:37 AM
I think that's it for now but no doubt I will have more questions before I go away! Thanks for the help!

virtuouswoman
08-26-2009, 04:40 AM
okay, my name is Bre. If you ever need any help with anything just PM me or send me a message!!!!

HairObsessed
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I was the weave queen for a minute. I suggest purchasing a pointy tip applicator bottle and fill it with JoJoba oil so you can apply it directly to the roots. This applicator bottle can also help you WASH your hair (so get a few of them) You can also apply witch hazel which reduces the funky weave smell we all know and hate :) I also loved the Softsheen Carson line of Weave Care products. The Weightless Sheen Spray smells wonderful! It also detangles the weave hair. If you hair is all the way in the weave covered be mindful of your hairline that it does not break off. Using JoJoba helps with this.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I am getting my first weave on Thursday. I'm going to Florida in 2 weeks and I just wanted to know how to look after the weave and the hair underneath. What sort of products should I buy and how should I use them?

Thanks