View Full Version : Hair secrets from around the world

abbyZ
08-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi everyone!

It's amazing how much we can learn from other women around the world! Do you know any hair secrets from other parts of the world? Please share!

Here's mine:

My family lived in Ethiopia for a few years (ages ago) and I learned a little bit from my Ethiopian friends about hair care. Apart from using heat rarely and doing lots of protective styles, they would apply kebe (perhaps also spelled kebeh or kibe since Amharic, Ethiopia's official language, has its own unique alphabet) to their hair regularly. This is Ethiopian butter that's traditionally churned from sour milk. From what I remember, they would often apply it and baggy overnight, washing it out in the morning or even later. Unfortunately, the butter has a terrible smell, so you kind of know when someone's used it or has it in their hair :scared:, but it seems like it works. Apparently it helps hair retain moisture and shine. I wish I had given it a try when I was there!

What are some other ingredients or practices that women use elsewhere?

jusstoya
08-07-2009, 10:44 PM
i don't have any to contribute yet, but i like this idea. thanks for sharing

chocohippie
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
The butter that you are talking about, I use ghee from the Indian store...it's the same, just in a different language. I love this stuff so much! I stopped using it b/c my hair is in kinky twist, but it does help.

I know that down south, some women put bacon grease on their hair....I know my aunts do.

abbyZ
08-07-2009, 11:38 PM
The butter that you are talking about, I use ghee from the Indian store...it's the same, just in a different language. I love this stuff so much! I stopped using it b/c my hair is in kinky twist, but it does help.

I know that down south, some women put bacon grease on their hair....I know my aunts do.

Yeah, it seems like the same thing or at least something similar. How do you usually use ghee? Overnight?

evanny
08-07-2009, 11:53 PM

LOL!! My culture uses chicken grease. :D

creolesugar
08-07-2009, 11:57 PM
lol

this reminds me of that Passport to Beauty book by Shalini Vadhera

I NEED TO GET IT ASAP

chocohippie
08-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah, it seems like the same thing or at least something similar. How do you usually use ghee? Overnight?

yea, baggy it over night and in the morning do a co-wash or shampoo...hair will be soft and moisturized.

Dividir
08-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Hmmm, I've got to do some ghee investigations. I also need to get my indian friend to ask her grandmother about other things.

Sometimes she calls me more Indian than most just because I can cuss in her language, and I henna, and use vatika oil!

Dividir
08-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Hmm, if it is how I think it is, I might start using the ghee as hair grease!

abbyZ
08-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Hmmm, I've got to do some ghee investigations. I also need to get my indian friend to ask her grandmother about other things.

Sometimes she calls me more Indian than most just because I can cuss in her language, and I henna, and use vatika oil!

LOL!

Please share your knowledge, half-Indian girl! :D Just kidding! Do you use vatika as a pre-poo or as a regular oil? Do you know what the "official" benefits are? I just loved the shine it gave my hair when I used it sometime ago, but this was in another country. Haven't seen any bottles around here (CT) though. Still on the look out!

abbyZ
08-08-2009, 08:21 AM

bacon grease...chicken grease? It must be stankkkkyyyyy!!:eek: But if it gives you that extra shine... :D

Do you think the ladies you know who use it have healthier, longer hair than most?

Halibel
08-08-2009, 01:25 PM
:( I wish I knew some neat secrets to contribute.

abbyZ
08-08-2009, 03:03 PM
:( I wish I knew some neat secrets to contribute.

Maybe you do, but haven't yet thought of it as such! You never know...some of the things we do "out of habit" or because "Mama always said" might be little gems! :)

Vermelha
08-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Brazil:
Avocado - Conditioner,
Aloe Vera - Leave in, Mixed with other oils or fruits
Shea Butter - Leave in
Almond Oil - Leave in
Carrot Oil - Leave in

India
Aritha (Soapnuts) - Cleansing
Shikakai - Cleansing, Strengthening
Bhringaraj Oil - Growth
Cassia - Strengthening
Alma (Indian Gooseberry) - Strengthening/Growth
Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) - Tint/Color, Strengthening
Fenugreek Leaves - Growth/Overall Health
Coconut Oil - Cleansing, Scalp Massages
Olive Oil - Scalp Massages

UK
Castile Soap/Saponification/Lye - Cleansing
Soda of Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) - Cleansing

Ancient Egypt
Sweet Almond Oil - Scalp Tonic
Castor Oil - Scalp Tonic
Rosemary Oil - Scalp Tonic
Fir Oil - Scalp Tonic
Fenugreek Seeds - ???

abbyZ
08-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Lots of stuff to try out!

Brazil:

Shea Butter - Leave in

I didn't know they used shea butter in Brazil. It's also definitely a West and Central African staple both for hair and skin.

Vermelha
08-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Lots of stuff to try out!

I didn't know they used shea butter in Brazil. It's also definitely a West and Central African staple both for hair and skin.

LOL, because 50% of Brazil is of West/Central African descent ;)

abbyZ
08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
LOL, because 50% of Brazil is of West/Central African descent ;)

Yes, of course, but in Africa the tree only grows in certain semi-arid conditions, I believe, and because Brazil has tropical semi-arid conditions, I had just assumed it didn't grow there.

Wakarimasen
08-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Chicken grease OMG i`ve never hearded about that .,. Thanks god xD
In Dominican Republic
- Aloe Vera cristal as a leave in
- Coconut natural milk

This is what i know my family and friends use, i will search for something else

Vermelha
08-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, of course, but in Africa the tree only grows in certain semi-arid conditions, I believe, and because Brazil has tropical semi-arid conditions, I had just assumed it didn't grow there.

Yep. It can, but of course not with the abundance that it is in Africa and it takes longer because of diseases. If not, it's imported :D. Besides, they are the largest consumers of beauty products in the world next to the U.S. The beauty industry is ridiculously prominent there. They have and know about nearly every beauty remedy.

chocohippie
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
They used the bacon grease on the scalp and their hair is mwl (mid waist length). Some of my people cut their hair, but it grows back soooo fast!

Caribbean Gyal
08-08-2009, 07:26 PM
We use castor oil, "sweet prickles" (cactus), aloes vera, some use chicken grease or grease from any meat( BUT NOT ME ..)

abbyZ
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
We use castor oil, "sweet prickles" (cactus), aloes vera, some use chicken grease or grease from any meat( BUT NOT ME ..)

Cactus is used as a moisturizer as well?

chocohippie
08-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Cactus is used as a moisturizer as well?

yes, and there is some in the states too!

abbyZ
08-08-2009, 08:50 PM
yes, and there is some in the states too!

Chocohippie, I just need to go hair shopping with you!! :D

Halibel
08-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Maybe you do, but haven't yet thought of it as such! You never know...some of the things we do "out of habit" or because "Mama always said" might be little gems! :)

*Thinks really hard* I mostly learned all of hair secrets from yall. My mama is the main reaon my hair was jacked in the first place. http://www.curvegotti.com/forums/images/smilies/lachen001.gif

abbyZ
08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
*Thinks really hard* I mostly learned all of hair secrets from yall. My mama is the main reaon my hair was jacked in the first place. http://www.curvegotti.com/forums/images/smilies/lachen001.gif

LOL! You're too much!

chocohippie
08-09-2009, 04:04 AM
Chocohippie, I just need to go hair shopping with you!! :D

LOL...It would be such fun too!

Dividir
08-09-2009, 02:05 PM
LOL!

Please share your knowledge, half-Indian girl! :D Just kidding! Do you use vatika as a pre-poo or as a regular oil? Do you know what the "official" benefits are? I just loved the shine it gave my hair when I used it sometime ago, but this was in another country. Haven't seen any bottles around here (CT) though. Still on the look out!

lol, I get called Indian girl-Black girl in punjabi by one group of friends!

I used it as a regular oil. i haven't really started prepooiing yet. (We'll see how long that takes me!) And it took me forever to find it here, which I was quite surprised about

According to Dabur (makers of vatika oil)

Benefits:

Henna: Protects hair from oxidation, helping maintain your hair's natural colour

Amla (Indian gooseberry): Strengthens the roots of your hair, to help maintain its health and natural thickness

Lemon: To control sebum secretion

other ingredients in Vatika oil:

Coconut Oil: Improves texture of hair and helps in hair growth. (high in protein and amino acids as a coconut)

Neem extract: relieve dry and itchy scalp, dandruff, the symptoms of scalp psoriasis, as well as giving you silky, shiny, stronger hair and encourage growth.

Brahmi extract: can make hair dark and dense. Strengthens hair roots, controlling hair thinning and hair loss. Regular use control premature graying and massaging it into the scalp clears dandruff

Bahera extract: Rejuvenates hair

Harar (Terminalia chebula): 'It is revitalizing, toning, nourishing and astringent'

Kapur Kachri: Stimulates hair roots and promotes hair growth. Maintains hair texture. Used for fragrance

Milk: (Cleopatra's favourite!) shines hair?

Rosemary oil: Growth: Helps in stimulating follicles, resulting in hair growing longer and stronger. Slows down premature hair loss and greying of hair.

So lactose intolerant people and pregnant women shouldn't use Vatika oil.

HTH

marchoftheblackqueen
08-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Hmmm, Hawaiian women use kukui nut oil to treat dry hair & scalp :)

evanny
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Chicken grease OMG i`ve never hearded about that .,. Thanks god xD
In Dominican Republic
- Aloe Vera cristal as a leave in
- Coconut natural milk

This is what i know my family and friends use, i will search for something else

I'm Dominicana too, and chicken grease is/was the thing back in the day. LOL! It may just be that different regions use different things or something, but I remember seeing a lot of people use that. Eeewww. Thank God my mom never did. LOL!!

We use mashed avocados and bananas as hair masks. We mix almond oil and bananas to help hydrate dry, damaged hair. You mash the oil and banana together and apply it to the hair and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Then you rinse, shampoo, and condition.

The avocado hair mask provides moisture, nourishment, protection from the sun, and shine. The avocado has the highest amount of sunscreen effectiveness when compared with other naturally derived oils.

Avocado Hair Mask
1 avocado
1 cup of rosemary water (not for blond hair- see the following recipe)
Take a ripe avocado, mash it up, and then push it through a sieve to get a smooth cream. Massage it onto your hair and scalp; tie a scarf around your head, and leave it on for several hours. Follow by washing your hair with a mild shampoo, and then use rosemary water for the final rinse.

Rosemary Water Hair Shiner
Place one bunch of fresh rosemary in a pot with water, bring it to a boil, and immediately let cool. Strain the rosemary water into a small cup or bottle.

angel_hair
08-10-2009, 11:21 AM
LOLOL I all I ever heard was to use GREASE and GREASE your scalp to death with it! Needless to say it didn't work.

Keep'em coming I like the info!!!!

abbyZ
08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
lol, I get called Indian girl-Black girl in punjabi by one group of friends!

I see why! lol Thanks for the info!

abbyZ
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Avocado Hair Mask
1 avocado
1 cup of rosemary water (not for blond hair- see the following recipe)
Take a ripe avocado, mash it up, and then push it through a sieve to get a smooth cream. Massage it onto your hair and scalp; tie a scarf around your head, and leave it on for several hours. Follow by washing your hair with a mild shampoo, and then use rosemary water for the final rinse.

I think I'll try this sometime! Just need to get some rosemary water...

evanny
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I think I'll try this sometime! Just need to get some rosemary water...

The recipe for the rosemary water is at the bottom. You just need some fresh rosemary and you'll have that water. :)

R2D2
08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Brazil:
Aloe Vera - Leave in, Mixed with other oils or fruits

I have some aloe vera plants in my front yard that are getting a bit out of control. Is there a way of making them into a gel for hair? I looked on the internet and it seems you cut the leaves open and scoop it out but you have to use it within 2 hours or it will go bad?

Amina
08-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I have some aloe vera plants in my front yard that are getting a bit out of control. Is there a way of making them into a gel for hair? I looked on the internet and it seems you cut the leaves open and scoop it out but you have to use it within 2 hours or it will go bad?

Can't u refrigerate it??? I wanna grow some AV plants too!

R2D2
08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Can't u refrigerate it??? I wanna grow some AV plants too!

Apparently, it oxides with time even in the fridge. The internet sites suggest using crushed vitamin C pills and Vitamin E to act as preservatives?

Dividir
08-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Apparently, it oxides with time even in the fridge. The internet sites suggest using crushed vitamin C pills and Vitamin E to act as preservatives?

True, I know vitamin e acts as an antioxidant, I use it in my lip balms and such

keesh89
08-22-2009, 08:06 PM
i have to try that ghee

abbyZ
10-21-2009, 07:51 AM
I just posted this on another thread and it reminded me of this one:

using shea butter overnight.

My sister told me that her friends in West Africa would apply pure shea butter to dry hair on the night before a wash, cover with a plastic, and then wash as usual in the morning. She says that her hair has never felt like butter the way it does after a shea butter overnight "DC". She got my mom some raw shea and has converted her too, apparently. :) We live in different places, so I haven't had a chance to see her hair for a while, but I'm sure it's looking good (though it was healthy even before the shea).

Ukachi
02-14-2010, 03:07 PM

I hear that ghee has a strong scent... is this true?
Also do you add anything to the ghee or do you use it straight?

choshi1
02-15-2010, 08:02 AM
The strangest thing i ever heard of to use in hair in our country was okra (ladies finger), some tribes use it as a shampoo.(it has 'slime').

illuminatiamerica
02-20-2011, 03:06 PM
dont know if i have the patience to keep slathering bacon grease

illuminatiamerica
02-20-2011, 03:07 PM
ive read that cactus extract is good for growing hair

DiggyNaps
02-20-2011, 05:50 PM

My great grandma's from SC and she keeps telling me that Vaseline will help fill in my thin spots....But I know better.

Hmmm, Hawaiian women use kukui nut oil to treat dry hair & scalp :)

I bought some Kukui back from Hawaii. It's a good ceramide rich oil. And it's not thick like other ceramide oils like WGO. It's just so damn expensive!!!!

PurplePeony
01-29-2012, 03:56 AM

I can`t be walking around smelling like fried chicken :scared:

Missey
01-29-2012, 07:50 AM
If I could smell the chicken grease, I'd stay hungry. Hopefully, you get immune to it.

choshi1
01-31-2012, 12:34 AM
I can`t be walking around smelling like fried chicken :scared:

It doesnt smell. I have used it before. :p

tmccrayinfo
02-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow that was very interesting, thanks for sharing that. The women of Ethiopia have gorgeous hair!

nakesh33
08-13-2014, 11:59 AM
loving it!!!!!!

Beautymeshia
08-14-2014, 01:58 PM
This is interesting. Any recommendations for natural products that work well for hair extensions as I am currently wearing them as a protective style?

ch1
08-14-2014, 05:01 PM
I used the new improved braid sheen spray by african pride. Very good for taking down braids too