View Full Version : I need to stop shedding!

foxytrini
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I recently relaxed with Affirm Lye about a week ago. My last relaxer was ORS no-lye so I switched. The problem is I'm finding more hair in my comb since my relaxer than I found during my stretch! The hairs are long, it doesn't look like breakage, it seems to be shedding. (I stretched for 16 weeks between the no-lye and the lye) What do you guys think I should do?
I've read that garlic helps with shedding. But I don't feel comfortable putting garlic in my hair and I can't afford to buy a garlic shampoo. Should I just do a protein treatment?

evanny
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Have you don't a protein treatment since the relaxer? Doesn't affirm come with a protein conditioner? I might be thinking of a different relaxer system. I would do a light protein conditioner. I take an odorless garlic supplement and it helps.

foxytrini
08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Have you don't a protein treatment since the relaxer? Doesn't affirm come with a protein conditioner? I might be thinking of a different relaxer system. I would do a light protein conditioner. I take an odorless garlic supplement and it helps.

Hey evanny, I believe that the hairdresser used a protein conditioner right after the relaxer. Last week I had shampoo'd and DC'd (moisturizing DC) like usual but the shedding hasn't stopped. This weekend I'll do a light protein DC and then a moisturizing DC and see how that turns out.

evanny
08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Okay, make sure to come back and tell what happened, so then we can all access what happens from there. ;)

foxytrini
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Okay, make sure to come back and tell what happened, so then we can all access what happens from there. ;)

Yup most definitely. When doing protein treatments I usually use my heating cap for 15 mins (I'll be using the Motions one with the really long name) and then I use a moisturizing DC (NTM Mask) without heat for about 2/3 hours or so. Wish me luck!

k-butterflyy
08-06-2009, 12:19 PM
good luck! the protein treatment should help. i used to use affirm and i found that it made me shed alot too. i think that maybe it was a lil too harsh for me, or something in it just wasn't compatible w/ me. i swtiched to mizani and my shedding isn't nearly as bad.

leentora
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Are you sure it is shedding? If it is shedding then shedding is a natural part of the hair cycle and will eventually seize if it is breakage then that is something is else.

I note that you said the hairs are long, do they have a white pulp at the end the end that come fromt he scalp if it does that is shedding > The Biology of Hair - Part II - Black Hair care forum (http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/blogs/leentora/101-biology-hair-part-ii.html)

If there is no white pulp then it is breakage and has yiou stated you may need to do the treatment process again, protein treatment, followed by a mositurizing DC with heat and that that should help strengthen the hair.

Let us know hun how it goes and if we can be of anymore help :)!

foxytrini
08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
good luck! the protein treatment should help. i used to use affirm and i found that it made me shed alot too. i think that maybe it was a lil too harsh for me, or something in it just wasn't compatible w/ me. i swtiched to mizani and my shedding isn't nearly as bad.

Yea it was probably the same problem for me. I liked the fact that it didn't burn at all, and my hair did look nice but I never usually shed after a relaxer. I don't want to switch back to no-lye again. I think I'll just go with Mizani next time.

leentora
08-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Yea it was probably the same problem for me. I liked the fact that it didn't burn at all, and my hair did look nice but I never usually shed after a relaxer. I don't want to switch back to no-lye again. I think I'll just go with Mizani next time.

Sorry I know you and k-butterflyy was discussing it, but I thought I would offer my 2pence worth in if you don't mind :o Mmmm I used the Affirm Fiberguard and I have not had that expereince, maybe the affirm is not for you, the fiberguard is has alot less HS in it and is more to on the advance side of protecting the hair with straighting, you will not get that bone straightness from it, it will be more of a texalaxed result which is better for the hair, if you want to swap over to it there should not be any problems to do so!

Hope that helps :)!

foxytrini
08-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Sorry I know you and k-butterflyy was discussing it, but I thought I would offer my 2pence worth in if you don't mind :o Mmmm I used the Affirm Fiberguard and I have not had that expereince, maybe the affirm is not for you, the fiberguard is has alot less HS in it and is more to on the advance side of protecting the hair with straighting, you will not get that bone straightness from it, it will be more of a texalaxed result which is better for the hair, if you want to swap over to it there should not be any problems to do so!

Hope that helps :)!

Heyy Leentora thanks for the advice! I'll keep that in my mind next time I get my hair done.

Dee3
08-06-2009, 04:49 PM
How long are u supposed to live those protein treatments in your hair? Well specifically the Aphogee two step treatment. It did not say on the bottle how long to leave it on. It just said until it gets hard. But then I was like...HOW hard is hard??

I dont think I left it on long enough,,,because my hair was only slightly
stiff, but not hard. I only left in on my hair for 10-15 minutes. I was scared i was gonna damage my hair, but now im not sure if i left it on long enough, because I still have breakage. Im thinking of doing the 2 min reconstructor once a week goes by.

How long do y'all leave the two step treatment in?

leentora
08-06-2009, 05:21 PM
How long are u supposed to live those protein treatments in your hair? Well specifically the Aphogee two step treatment. It did not say on the bottle how long to leave it on. It just said until it gets hard. But then I was like...HOW hard is hard??

I dont think I left it on long enough,,,because my hair was only slightly
stiff, but not hard. I only left in on my hair for 10-15 minutes. I was scared i was gonna damage my hair, but now im not sure if i left it on long enough, because I still have breakage. Im thinking of doing the 2 min reconstructor once a week goes by.

How long do y'all leave the two step treatment in?

When I apply the 2-step I tend to sit under my hooded dryer for a while maybe 15-20mins so it is well dry and then I will rinse with hot water, there is no specific time on the bottle, the aim is make the treamtment gets dry and dry on the hair as much as possible, to give it time to strengthen the hair, then oyu should rinse and you MUST follow up with a moisturizing DC to add moisture back to the hair.

Hope this helps :)!