View Full Version : After Braid Care

cutecarmel
08-01-2009, 07:35 PM
My hair has been in braids since March and everytime that I have gotten my hair rebraided, I haven't given it anytime to rest, but I want to this time.

I'll be unbraiding my hair in a couple weeks:), but I work at a law firm, so I can't come to work with a scarf on my head, so I need it straightened. Will flat ironing my hair after I remove my braids cause breakage? What can I do to prevent breakage after unbraiding my hair?

When it comes time to get another relaxer, how long should I wait before I get one after I unbraid my hair?

Just one more question: Is all of the hair at the top of my braids new growth, or is it just the result of braids coming loose?

Thanks so much

virtuouswoman
08-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Make sure you do a DC after you take your braids out. What kind of braids were they? Be careful because I know once you have braids in for a while, the hair may be knotted or matted up...were they micros?

cutecarmel
08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Make sure you do a DC after you take your braids out. What kind of braids were they? Be careful because I know once you have braids in for a while, the hair may be knotted or matted up...were they micros?

They were just single braids. Not micros, but not particularly big braids either. When I have unbraided my hair, I have had time to untangle it, but just not enough time to let it "breathe". I have a dc to use after I unbraid it. But should I be able to flat iron it?

virtuouswoman
08-01-2009, 08:26 PM
They were just single braids. Not micros, but not particularly big braids either. When I have unbraided my hair, I have had time to untangle it, but just not enough time to let it "breathe". I have a dc to use after I unbraid it. But should I be able to flat iron it?

I'd say it should be okay, since you've gone so long without using any heat, but you want to make sure that your hair isn't damaged before you flat iron..if its breaking you don't want to do it....

abbyZ
08-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Can I ask a couple questions first?? :)

What was your regimen while you were in braids?

Are you relaxed or natural?

cutecarmel
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Can I ask a couple questions first?? :)

What was your regimen while you were in braids?

Are you relaxed or natural?

I oil my scalp and hair everyday (sometimes twice a day) with olive oil. I also use braid spay. I rinse it about once a week. Sometimes just using regular conditioner (infusium 23) or I use hair mayonaise (however you spell it) as a deep conditioner.

During the day I keep it in a ponytail, but a really loose one and I have taken the braids at the front of my head (near my forehead) out after about a month because thats the weakest part of my hair.

Oh and I am relaxed but I haven't had a relaxer since Jan.

chocohippie
08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes, be sure to put a DC in your hair...When I take my hair out, I would baggy for moisture, then I would DC in the morning with a protein packed DC, since it's been months without it. Then I shampoo and condish as usual.

I don't know if the baggy will make a difference on relaxed hair, but for my natural hair, it works wonders in restoring my softness and bounce.

Caribbean Gyal
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I'd say wait 2 weeks to put in another set of braids and if you want to relax then put inbraids you should wait 4 weeks atleast.

marchoftheblackqueen
08-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes that is your new growth, when I used to get braids I would think that was just my hair coming loose too but nope, if your new hair. I co-sign with the others, baby your hair. Don't make the same mistake I did, I would take my braids out after months of having them, relax it, use heat & then put the braids back in the next day. Now I'm paying the price for being a huge moron & have to take care of a lot of damaged hair.

cutecarmel
08-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I'd say wait 2 weeks to put in another set of braids and if you want to relax then put inbraids you should wait 4 weeks atleast.

Thanks. I think two weeks would really be pushing it for me though. I don't want to burn my hair for 2 weeks trying to make it nice for work ya know? I work at a law firm and I can't go there with a scarf or anything on my head. Any "I-just-took-my-braids-out" style tips???

Oh and I always wait AT LEAST a month after getting a perm before I rebraid.

abbyZ
08-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks. I think two weeks would really be pushing it for me though. I don't want to burn my hair for 2 weeks trying to make it nice for work ya know? I work at a law firm and I can't go there with a scarf or anything on my head. Any "I-just-took-my-braids-out" style tips???

Oh and I always wait AT LEAST a month after getting a perm before I rebraid.

No relaxer since January?! Congratulations on surviving such a long stretch!! =D>Applause

I agree with all the ladies. It would help to do a protein DC (a hard one if necessary) after taking the braids out and then do moisturizing DCs regularly for a few weeks at least before putting braids back in. Since you'll be working with two textures, you really need to baby the demarcation line, to make sure that breakage doesn't occur there. Perhaps people who are transitioning will know how best to deal since you probably have a lot of growth, but I suppose maintaining the protein-moisture balance is key and maybe avoiding direct heat as well (at least for the first couple weeks after taking the braids out).

Can you do twistouts or braidouts and make classy updos with them?

cutecarmel
08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
No relaxer since January?! Congratulations on surviving such a long stretch!! =D>Applause

I agree with all the ladies. It would help to do a protein DC (a hard one if necessary) after taking the braids out and then do moisturizing DCs regularly for a few weeks at least before putting braids back in. Since you'll be working with two textures, you really need to baby the demarcation line, to make sure that breakage doesn't occur there. Perhaps people who are transitioning will know how best to deal since you probably have a lot of growth, but I suppose maintaining the protein-moisture balance is key and maybe avoiding direct heat as well (at least for the first couple weeks after taking the braids out).

Can you do twistouts or braidouts and make classy updos with them?

I can try. My problem is that I really do not think that I can go any time without straightening my hair when the braids are out. My hair will be really wild and I am not good at styling my hair.