View Full Version : Hair Breaking at the Crown!!!

HairObsessed
06-19-2009, 06:20 PM
OK who besides ME has this problem? I have some spots in my hair mainly in the crown where my hair is broken off. I don't use a hair dryer or flat iron much however I think where my relaxed hair ends and my Texlaxed hair begins there could be a breaking point. Does any one else have this problem? What are some solutions for filling in the crown? I have been using the ballet bun method. I have also gotten rid of heat cept for special occasions. Ladies any suggestions??

Ms. Bing
06-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I am having this and breakage issues. I also never apply direct heat but i think mine is from color maybe . I am still unsure but I have been usindg less products and been doing alot of pin ups. I also don't wrap my hair as much because I noticed more breakage when wrapping. I wish I had an answer to stop it because I would share.

virtuouswoman
06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I had this problem, so I started stretching, drinking more water and no putting any heat to that part, I just leave it alone and make sure it stays moisturized!!!

HairObsessed
06-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I used Bigen a while back just to darken my ends. Now they are the color I like them so I have not used it since. ALSO that posting on how harmful PPD can be freaked me out enough to stay FAR away.

I am having this and breakage issues. I also never apply direct heat but i think mine is from color maybe . I am still unsure but I have been usindg less products and been doing alot of pin ups. I also don't wrap my hair as much because I noticed more breakage when wrapping. I wish I had an answer to stop it because I would share.

Ms Coco
06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
I have that problem too but i think it's from stress.

Halibel
06-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Whenever I have breakage or feeling as if I am shedding too much. I use a lot of mosturizing products and less manipulation with my hair to get it back on track.

I hope that helps. :)

Brown Butter
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I had this problem when my hair was relaxed...I really couldn't get rid of it because my hair was so thin but I had to keep relaxing it so that more of my hair wouldn't break of. Try to do some scalp massages to stimulate hair growth in that area. I went natural and my hair has since grown back.

jusstoya
07-24-2009, 10:16 PM
I had the same problem and im sure my breakage was from flat ironing though.

ysm
07-27-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm having the same problem. My stylist suggested I get a "dry" jheri curl (is there such a thing?!). But I've been natural for over 2 years now, and I want to remain so. I think I will try the Apoghee treatments. Hopefully that will work.

Amina
07-28-2009, 12:13 PM
This condition is prevalent in (and specific to) black women, the thinning of hair in the crown area, the hair tends to be more sensitive and susceptible to breakage in that particular area. I have a tender scalp in that area that I tend to do scalp massages and concentrate more on the area with castor oil. If u wear a high bun, it may pull or put to much weight on the crown area...the oil massages tend to do wonders though:)

brittbritt
07-29-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure of any suggestions. I am quite fortunate to have the most amount of hair growing from my crown. I can say this if you do believe it's the relaxer, take a break from them for a while. Your hair should thicken up in no time. Meanwhile don't put too much stress on your strands try wearing natural styles like braidouts until your hair fills in plus its easy to camoflauge any differences in length.

lolly89
08-02-2009, 06:51 AM
i used to have that problem, but then i started moisturizing my hair more and brushing it less, coz i used to brush it all the time...and its gotten better

HairObsessed
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Amina you have a point... I do find my scalp is very sensitive in that area..... just very tender. I am using Amla oil with my massages as well as pure cocoa nut oil. I also cut a good inch off my ends to make it less obvious there is such a drastic difference in lengths. That has helped as PAINFUL as it was to do it.n:scared:
This condition is prevalent in (and specific to) black women, the thinning of hair in the crown area, the hair tends to be more sensitive and susceptible to breakage in that particular area. I have a tender scalp in that area that I tend to do scalp massages and concentrate more on the area with castor oil. If u wear a high bun, it may pull or put to much weight on the crown area...the oil massages tend to do wonders though:)

k-butterflyy
08-04-2009, 12:25 AM
for years ive had breakage at the scalp. i think it's stress related, but i'm not certain. no matter what i do, i just can't get that area to do right. it's even a different texture. an old stylist told me that my breakage came from the way i wrapped my hair and to alternate directions everyday. i tried it, but it made my scalp very sore and tender when i wrapped the opposite direction from the usual and it never laid right. im still looking for a solution. maybe a career change? lol

HairObsessed
08-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Good point there K.... I have been stressed to the hilt lately...
for years ive had breakage at the scalp. i think it's stress related, but i'm not certain. no matter what i do, i just can't get that area to do right. it's even a different texture. an old stylist told me that my breakage came from the way i wrapped my hair and to alternate directions everyday. i tried it, but it made my scalp very sore and tender when i wrapped the opposite direction from the usual and it never laid right. im still looking for a solution. maybe a career change? lol

Ms Coco
08-14-2009, 10:32 PM

I think stress is part of the problem with my breakage in the crown.

ysm
08-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Has anyone tried Moroccan Oil? I'm hearing good things about it from coworkers, but their hair is a different grade from mine. (They are mostly East Indian). Don't know if it will do anything for my 4a hair.

Ms Coco
08-16-2009, 10:24 PM
i haven't heard of that before where do you get it from.

HairObsessed
08-17-2009, 07:57 PM
BUMP!!!! I'D LIKE TO KNOW AS WELL :)

i haven't heard of that before where do you get it from.

badhairday
08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm still having the same problem. My hair has not grown a bit. Has anyone heard of MIZANI products, and can give an okay the product

angel_hair
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM

LOLOL that might be the solution!!

I have that problem as well. I thinking if I relax less often and allow the hair to thicken up I should be okay.

HairObsessed
08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
UPDATE!!! I have been bunning it for some time now and I SEE GROWTH in my crown area! IT does not look as drastically different in lengths. Keep in mind that I cut about an inch off my entire head so the transition between lengths are not TOO noticeable. I also have been bunning on the top of my head, the side of my head, and the base of my skull to switch it up. So far so good! I also have noticed my ends retaining length! I plan on incorporating MegaTek again into my regimen. I use alma and cocoa nut and massage the crown nightly too!

kCurious
08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I have the same problem. pre hhcj my hair was overprocessed, i put some highlites on top of it, and i used heat everyday. So over a period of time all the damaged hair just stated falling out at the demarcation line(the crown mainly). Although I take better care of my hair i'm still dealing with the problem areas. I've been thinking about taking a scissor to those areas to prevent further damage:(

ryxin
09-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Maybe the stress cause of this. I tried falling hair problem and i used aloe vera shampoo but i think not effective. But use dryer or iron for hair it is causes dry hair?

nuBUN princess23
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
i do not have breakage in the crown but i def am tryin to prevent that form happening... i am bunning right now and i do not pull my hair back tight and i use a cut stocking as a hair tie which also allows me not to be able to pull it back so tight and i switch my bunn up from what postions i put it in... however i have noticed that i have some breakage at the ends so i think i am going to do a protein treatment tonight when i do my wash...

HairObsessed
09-16-2009, 07:07 PM
After my texlax I broke down and took the scissors to my head today. I took off much of the ends and gave myself a bit of layers in the back to disguise my crown breakage. It's obviously shorter but much fuller and thick!

ysm
09-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I've had lots of breakage in the past. But since I've started taking better care of my hair there's much less breakage.

ysm
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Girlfriend Member! YAY!!! =D>Applause:grin:

Brownelle
11-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Are weak spots treatable? If so, how?:(
I just shaved my head two weeks ago. My hair is starting to grow a little, but I noticed that my crown and the line underneath my crown aren't growing along with the rest of my head. I thought shaving would solve my problem. :(

Can someone help?

virtuouswoman
11-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Are weak spots treatable? If so, how?:(
I just shaved my head two weeks ago. My hair is starting to grow a little, but I noticed that my crown and the line underneath my crown aren't growing along with the rest of my head. I thought shaving would solve my problem. :(

Can someone help?

I'd say DC and moisture. I was talking to my co worker the other day and she was talking about how she does nothing to her hair even though she just shaved it as well. But you still should DC and keep moisture in your hair and take care of it just as you would if your hair was the same length as it was before you cut it...

Brownelle
11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I'd say DC and moisture. I was talking to my co worker the other day and she was talking about how she does nothing to her hair even though she just shaved it as well. But you still should DC and keep moisture in your hair and take care of it just as you would if your hair was the same length as it was before you cut it...

Thank you virtuouswoman. I'm DCing once a week, cowash a couple times a week and moisturize with oil moisturizers. I'm going to do that for the time being and allow my scalp to get a break from tension from box braids even as it grows. I hope it works.

ysm
11-12-2009, 11:30 PM
My hair is still breaking! :mad: I DC once/week, co wash once/week, massage my scalp every night and massage w/castor and coconut oil 2/week. and it's still breaking!!! Not nearly as badly as it once was, but really!!! :mad: What's a girl gotta do?? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sharii16
12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
I had the same problem and im sure my breakage was from flat ironing though.

i have the same problem but i only flat iron once every 3 weeks .

HairObsessed
12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Sounds like a lack of protein / moisture balance to me.

HairObsessed
12-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Where is the protein in your regimen? I see you have oil and DC but no protein. What are you DCing and Cowashing with?

My hair is still breaking! :mad: I DC once/week, co wash once/week, massage my scalp every night and massage w/castor and coconut oil 2/week. and it's still breaking!!! Not nearly as badly as it once was, but really!!! :mad: What's a girl gotta do?? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sharii16
12-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a lack of protein / moisture balance to me.

youre probably right but....i do a protein treatment every month....i use an egg or mayo anything at home....is there anything else that could help though ?:o

HairObsessed
12-15-2009, 07:55 PM
This solved all my protein problems and dandruff issues. I use this in the winter... I tend to have growth issues this time of the year.

Dover Saddlery - Search Results for mega tek (http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=mega%20tek&pw=megatek&rt=spelling&isort=score&view=list)

youre probably right but....i do a protein treatment every month....i use an egg or mayo anything at home....is there anything else that could help though ?:o

Amina
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
This solved all my protein problems and dandruff issues. I use this in the winter... I tend to have growth issues this time of the year.

Dover Saddlery - Search Results for mega tek (http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=mega%20tek&pw=megatek&rt=spelling&isort=score&view=list)

Interesting...This is what I've been hearing about

mal
06-13-2010, 11:14 PM
I wrap my hair and find that it breaks the hair in the middle of my head my scalp is also super tender and can get very itchy i have eczema on my scalp and now that it's summer the heat makes my scalp itch way more than normal i want to stop wrapping to give my hair a break but my hair is shoulder length and i don't know how else to tie it down that will keep the ends looking good....is roller setting my only solution?

HairObsessed
06-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Have you considered Miconazole nitrate for that part of your scalp or MegaTek.... helps with eczema. Wrapping your head could be part of the problem but I think it's fungal. That tenderness and itching sounds fungal to me. I wrap my hair and find that it breaks the hair in the middle of my head my scalp is also super tender and can get very itchy i have eczema on my scalp and now that it's summer the heat makes my scalp itch way more than normal i want to stop wrapping to give my hair a break but my hair is shoulder length and i don't know how else to tie it down that will keep the ends looking good....is roller setting my only solution?

Couture Hair
06-21-2010, 12:54 PM
This sounds gross but Mayonaise & Olive oil does the trick for me

Waves2Curls
06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Motions CPR is a good protein (collagen if I remember correctly) conditioner for stopping breakage.

Ms. Bing
06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
OK who besides ME has this problem? I have some spots in my hair mainly in the crown where my hair is broken off. I don't use a hair dryer or flat iron much however I think where my relaxed hair ends and my Texlaxed hair begins there could be a breaking point. Does any one else have this problem? What are some solutions for filling in the crown? I have been using the ballet bun method. I have also gotten rid of heat cept for special occasions. Ladies any suggestions??When I had that problem it was traced to to much protein. I have not had protein in over a year and no problems.

RONI
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't have a problem with breakage anywhere or split ends either.I keep my hair moisturized with castor oil all over my entire head,from roots down to the ends.My hair is really thick and super long,and I'm 42 years old.Lately,I have been using Doo Gro Mega Thick Growth Oil,it has no mineral oil or petroleum for a month now;and I have more baby hairs in the front and back of my hair.I have no thinning also.You might want to give it a try,using the applicator tip feels great on the scalp,and it keeps my hair smelling good too.I don't wash my hair for 15-16 days and it is naturally curly.HTH :).

NaniDiamond
06-24-2010, 05:41 PM
OK who besides ME has this problem? I have some spots in my hair mainly in the crown where my hair is broken off. I don't use a hair dryer or flat iron much however I think where my relaxed hair ends and my Texlaxed hair begins there could be a breaking point. Does any one else have this problem? What are some solutions for filling in the crown? I have been using the ballet bun method. I have also gotten rid of heat cept for special occasions. Ladies any suggestions??

Yes, I sure had this problem last year and have since discovered that there were several culprits, the first was STRESS! I can't tell you how to manage it, but I can tell you that if you aren't exercising or managing it somehow, the thinning might continue if that's the problem...the 2nd culprit was that I wasn't taking a vitamin supplement...a good one. Once I found one that wasn't full of "fillers" , I saw results in about a week or two...the last was that I started using BIOTIN as much as possible, meaning, I started conditioning with Nature's Gate Biotin cond. and I made sure that my vitamin supplement had AT LEAST 2,500mg of biotin...most of the hair/nails vitamins will have this amount but to be specific, I take one by TwinLab called Women's Ultra Daily (120 capsules in brown glass bottle)...my hair is growing back, no longer thinning & breaking and actually the hair is thicker than the rest of my scalp.

Hope this helps mama:confused:

JLicious
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Stress may very well be the cause. I used to have breakage mostly in the back of my crown...not the sides. But, that was due to relaxers being overlapped I think, because I don't have that prob now that I'm chemical free.

I used to use raw egg and olive oil and that was a great light protein treatment. So, is DuoTex. I would suggest you do an aphogee treatment though if you want to stop the breakage immediately since it's strong.

PurplePeony
01-06-2012, 12:23 PM

I noticed mine is appearing thinner in the crown. I think you`re right, tight ponys & buns may be the culprit. I`ll also rub castor oil on it every other day to see if that helps. thx amina

Mamie
02-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I seem to have alopega any suggestions. It is othe crown

sweets
02-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I will try some of the suggestions, my crown is sooooooooooooooo much shorter due to breakage.

HairObsessed
02-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Love their stuff expensive though! Try APHOGEE... This has retained lots of hair for me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mylomp
02-29-2012, 01:26 AM
I have this problem too!!!

LadyD2u
03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't have thinning in my crown but I do have breakage. I think the problem is the fact that my crown is an entirely different texture than the rest of my hair. I was advised to make sure I moisturize heavier in that area. So far it's doing better but Ill be glad when it catches up in length with the rest.

MeiMei
03-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Stress is the culprit.

angel_hair
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
A lot of women seem to have this problem. I have battled this myself. The problem kind of just resolved itself.

Amorel1991
08-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Ok before I ask questions I should tell you about my bad reaction 😞 ok well my hair was beautiful long and healthy. I always go to the same Dominican stylist. My hair is permed. I always used olive oil perm for years but once I got highlights my stylist switched to mizanni. The last time I got highlights was about 2 years ago but every time I get a perm I still used mizanni. Anyways around April I decide to get my hair black so she told me to purchase this kit from the beauty supply store. It was in a box and my hair came out great. 2 weeks later I go for my routine perm and as she is washing out the perm my hair felt caked down glued and wasn't soft. She put a conditioner in my hair and as she started to comb my hair she told me not to cry because wads of my hair was coming out. When she begins to roller set it hair is still coming out badly. After taking out rollers my hair was thin and although long did not look beautiful anymore. It look stripped. So two weeks later I come for a wash and set and its still coming out when she washes. I go back a week later and tell her to cut it, she cuts it too my shoulder and add bangs. And she applies the nexxus polymedic emergencee reconstructor. A little hair came out while washing and roller setting still. And on my own at home my hair would still break a lot . Ok now it's August and two weeks ago I went to salon I have so much new growth but I'm scared to perm because of what Happened. I bought the nexxus deep conditioner used it with the hydrating macadamia conditioner and less hair came out but after blow drying my hair still doesn't have the full healthy look its supposed to have. The next time I go to the salon I need to get a perm.

1) should I switch my perm back to olive oil because I may not need a strong perm like mizanni?
2) when I get thee perm should I get a protein treatment? If so please recommend products
3) do I perm then protein treatment then wash then deep condition? I feel like that would be so beneficial?
4) I did strand test my hair breaks immediately so it seems like I need more moisture ? Product suggestions
5) after washing my hair feels really glued down and stripped but my hair is still growing. Please suggest protein treatments as well as how I should go about using the product when I get my perm next week please
THANK YOU

Kokome10
11-08-2013, 07:22 PM
I have issues with my crown. It breaks if I even look at it and no matter what I put on it, the hair there never wants to absorb any moisture. The hair there is much shorter than the rest of my hair because of the breakage. I DC every week, and I moisturize daily, and it doesn't seem to do anything. What else can I try?