View Full Version : Something non-permanent tha will cover gray?

choxie
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Okay ladies I am finally at that point where I want to cover this gray hair of mine.

Instead of being majestic or regal, mine is spattered across the top/front of my hair. Just enough to look like a head full of lint.

I want something that will cover the gray hair, but not be dangerous to my health.

Will a rinse work? Something semi-permanent.

I do not know much about hair color. Back in the day, I sported bright auburn from Dark n Lovely, but that has been about 20 years ago.

I want something that will blend in my hair and look natural. Not something that is going to look harsh and fake.

I remember my grandma, mom, aunt all going through that stage of dying their hair and it looked so fake (shoe shine black). My MIL is still doing this at 72. 2 inches of solid white roots and the rest jet black.

Also, can anyone help me with choosing a shade for my skin type/color?

I have many pictures in my album.

TIA

Brendita
06-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Choxie! I have VERY resistant grey hair and it has responded BRILLIANTLY to Wella Color Charms DEMI permanent color. It's mild, safe and best of all CHEAP! What I really love about it is you can squeeze out [I]just[I] enough of it and save the rest: It comes in a toothpaste like tube. You need to purchase the developer separately and that's dirt cheap, too. I get mine from a small beauty supply store, but I have seen it at Sally's. A demi lasts a bit longer than semi color. I am scared to use permanent hair color because of the damage it can cause. I should clarify: I had no damage when I got my hair colored by my fabulous stylist, but my grays are coming in so fast & Furious, I just couldn't make time to go in for a touch up every 4 weeks, you know what I'm saying? I'm afraid to try doing permanent color on my hair, just because... well, I don't really have a logical reason. I'm babbling.

Curly/wavy hair holds onto semi/demi color REALLY well and my hair is just that: super curly (unrelaxed). With Wella, there's no "leaking" either. On my head, it grows out just like my perm color used to. I had tried Sebastian Glaze, but it always "leaked" with every wash (whether it was a co-wash or a tradional shampoo). I do love Sbastian's Glaze in "clear", though. It's awesome at sealing in the color. But, that's a whole other thread.

Any ways, GOOD LUCK!

Wella - Color Charm - Color Charm Demi Permanent Haircolor 9NG (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Demi-Haircolor/WELLA10,default,pd.html)
Wella - Color Charm - Wella Color Charm Activating Lotion 16 oz. (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Charm-Activating-Lotion/WELLA9,default,pd.html)

Ms. Bing
06-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Okay ladies I am finally at that point where I want to cover this gray hair of mine.

Instead of being majestic or regal, mine is spattered across the top/front of my hair. Just enough to look like a head full of lint.

I want something that will cover the gray hair, but not be dangerous to my health.

Will a rinse work? Something semi-permanent.

I do not know much about hair color. Back in the day, I sported bright auburn from Dark n Lovely, but that has been about 20 years ago.

I want something that will blend in my hair and look natural. Not something that is going to look harsh and fake.

I remember my grandma, mom, aunt all going through that stage of dying their hair and it looked so fake (shoe shine black). My MIL is still doing this at 72. 2 inches of solid white roots and the rest jet black.

Also, can anyone help me with choosing a shade for my skin type/color?

I have many pictures in my album.

TIA

Lady I have the same issue with only front grays and I used permament color but I noticed it's to much for my hair. I asked the new stylist what she suggest and she recommened hena from the health food store. Also I just recently bought Clariol semi- perm gray coverage and it comes in a wide variety of colors even aurburn. I haven't tried it yet but have heard great reviews.

Beautiful Collection | Clairol Pro (http://www.clairolpro.com/products/demi_permanent/beautiful_collection?gclid=CIqwksyM75oCFRAMDQodVFw KBA)

kita
06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
The reason why I am resistant to using dark hair color is I heard on the Michael Basin Show that dark dyes cause cancer. This was the third time I have heard this claim.

choxie
06-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Wow, thank you ladies for the responses.

Brendita, I will look for the demi-perm stuff soon. Gotta wait until payday.

Ms. Bing, I'll look into the Clairol stuff too.

Thanks for the warning Kita.

Bodybutter
06-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Henna followed by pure indigo. I love my silver, am through with the disguising.

R2D2
06-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm new to this site and this is my first post! I've been using a "natural" permanent dye for about 18 months now called Herbatint but have been quite unhappy with the long term results. To begin with my hair felt great and then gradually it became really dry and thinned out from the breakage. I had been hoping that because it was "natural" it wouldn't be damaging to my natural hair but this wasn't the case. It behaved like a chemical dye.

I'm switching to a semi permanent Henna colour cream called Surya - it washes out in 8-10 shampoos. Because it's non permanent henna it can be used at any time so no need to wait out a time for previously chemically coloured or relaxed hair. I'll use that while I'm rebuilding my hair with a reconstructor and deep conditioning. If I really like it I will stick with it. There is a powder option too but there is less range of colours compared to cream. I like the idea of not having to retouch roots which I find fiddly - I find it easier just to coat the whole hair length in one go. My main concern is how long the colour will last considering I will do 1 wash and 1 deep conditioning co wash per week. I'll be happy with 4 weeks but not 2 weeks. Anyway I have the box - just waiting for a time in the next few days to proceed.

I was going to post a link but found that I can't do that until I've done 15 posts, so if you google "Surya Henna" I'm sure you'll find it. I notice it is sold at Amazon.com

sexymami17
06-06-2009, 02:48 PM
henna, celophanes by sebastian and color showers like clairol beautiful collection and adore.

sniper
06-13-2009, 07:27 PM
A demi-permanent hair color is what you need. You can use Natural Instincts. This is a great product that provides conditioner and moisture. Plus, it is very natural looking!!!

38yolanda
11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree with the use of the henna I mean your only mixing it with water not a peroxide or bleach so the only thing better than that is no mixing at all an that would be a jazz-in/rinse but they stain/coat the hair shaft and not so well on stubborn gray hairs. as long as you condition condition condition you will be fine with the henna. And don't forget to CONDITION. Because just cause its natural don't mean it wont harden the hair.