View Full Version : What do your braider use to reserve ends?

btru2u
05-16-2009, 11:33 PM
I was wondering what technique is best to use to prevent braids from unraveling.

abbyZ
05-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I couldn't really vote because it depends on the type of hair extension being used.

The braiders I used to go to would use nail glue when braiding with pony, leave it as is when using human hair, and use hot water when using the synthetic hair that waves when put in hot water.

Marsy
05-17-2009, 10:49 AM
My braider dips in hot water to stop unravelling. Works for me.

btru2u
05-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I couldn't really vote because it depends on the type of hair extension being used.

The braiders I used to go to would use nail glue when braiding with pony, leave it as is when using human hair, and use hot water when using the synthetic hair that waves when put in hot water.

They still dip it in hot water even when the hair already comes wavy, I never seen this technique done before, did it come out nice?

leentora
05-17-2009, 04:41 PM
The braids/extension I use Kanakolan (sp) this is the brand I use for both when I am getting kinky twist or single plaits as you can seal them off in hot water.

I have only ever had braider put a knot in the single plaits once which was not that easy to unknot when the plaits needed to take out.

leentora
05-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Oh yea I thoguht burning the ends was a thing of the past lol and those burnt ends are not that great on the back of your jumpers/tops at all - I remember this from the old-end-days lmao :D

abbyZ
05-17-2009, 04:47 PM
They still dip it in hot water even when the hair already comes wavy, I never seen this technique done before, did it come out nice?

I think it comes out nice. :) Sometimes they can use this to make the ends curly (use rollers on the ends and then dip it in hot water) or make them more wavy (by braiding just the ends or whole braids before dipping) or just dip it so the waves prevent the hair from unraveling.

abbyZ
05-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh yea I thoguht burning the ends was a thing of the past lol and those burnt ends are not that great on the back of your jumpers/tops at all - I remember this from the old-end-days lmao :D

LOL I remember this too! :D Then there'd always be a little fuzz at the end of the braids.

leentora
05-17-2009, 04:53 PM
LOL I remember this too! :D Then there'd always be a little fuzz at the end of the braids.

:D lol exactly I forgot about those fuzz at the ends, wow we have come a long way in braiding :)

btru2u
05-17-2009, 06:06 PM
:D lol exactly I forgot about those fuzz at the ends, wow we have come a long way in braiding :)

I notice a lot of African braiders use the knots when braiding with synthetic hair.

leentora
05-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I notice a lot of African braiders use the knots when braiding with synthetic hair.

ok the African braiders here tend to use hot water and the Kanakolan (sp) hair which is easy to seal with hot water and looks really nice when done and dry.

I personally don't like the knot at all I had it once and when it came for me to take it out lward was it hard and took forever.

btru2u
05-17-2009, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I think so to, the burnt ends are played out, but it was a toss up between burn or rubber bands, the poll only allow for four options:confused:

leentora
05-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I think so to, the burnt ends are played out, but it was a toss up between burn or rubber bands, the poll only allow for four options:confused:

I remember the rubber too gesh I could I forget lol

You could have more options on the poll there is an option under the poll to say how many poll option you would like to post have a look next time you do a poll, or send me a message and I will help you with the poll :)

Mmmmm ruuber bands are kinda okish if they small and the balck ones or what it the do the braids ends tapered that is what the African braiders do here also and it looks more real and nicer.

btru2u
05-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I remember the rubber too gesh I could I forget lol

You could have more options on the poll there is an option under the poll to say how many poll option you would like to post have a look next time you do a poll, or send me a message and I will help you with the poll :)

Mmmmm ruuber bands are kinda okish if they small and the balck ones or what it the do the braids ends tapered that is what the African braiders do here also and it looks more real and nicer.

Is there anyway to EDIT once you post a poll?

leentora
05-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Is there anyway to EDIT once you post a poll?

Try going back to page 1 and hit the edit button and see what comes up I can not remmeber it is worth a try - it may allow you add more poll options you will have to say whether you want to post 5, 6, 7 etc poll options I am here for few more minutes and then I am off to sleep hun lol :o try it and let me know if it works, then I am off to sleep lol

btru2u
05-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Try going back to page 1 and hit the edit button and see what comes up I can not remmeber it is worth a try - it may allow you add more poll options you will have to say whether you want to post 5, 6, 7 etc poll options I am here for few more minutes and then I am off to sleep hun lol :o try it and let me know if it works, then I am off to sleep lol

I already tried it, and it didn't work, that is o.k., I know for next time, thanks anyway, sweet dreams:sleep:

leentora
05-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I already tried it, and it didn't work, that is o.k., I know for next time, thanks anyway, sweet dreams:sleep:

oh sorry hun, ok good nite I am off to get me some :sleep:

Let us know what you do decide to do with those end when you get braids.

virtuouswoman
05-17-2009, 06:53 PM

yes we have, i remember i was smaller and had my hair braided in box braids and they were burned at the end and they would always scratch my face....

btru2u
05-17-2009, 06:59 PM
oh sorry hun, ok good nite I am off to get me some :sleep:

Let us know what you do decide to do with those end when you get braids.

Oh, I know you off to sleep, but you can read this when you log in again, I already got braids, I'm just amazed how braiders have different styles of braiding, this last braider was undecided how she was going to seal my ends, she probably would have just left them alone if I didn't say something, probably 1/4 though I ask her what did she do to reserve the ends, I know a lot of ppl use nail glue she said "I knot them I don't like to use glue b/c it gets on my fingers it's harder to braid that way", so, what she did was, went back and took each individual braid and use nail glue, that took about another hour.

So, basically wanted to get some advise to suggest to the next braider if I decide to go to another one....

leentora
05-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Oh, I know you off to sleep, but you can read this when you log in again, I already got braids, I'm just amazed how braiders have different styles of braiding, this last braider was undecided how she was going to seal my ends, she probably would have just left them alone if I didn't say something, probably 1/4 though I ask her what did she do to reserve the ends, I know a lot of ppl use nail glue she said "I knot them I don't like to use glue b/c it gets on my fingers it's harder to braid that way", so, what she did was, went back and took each individual braid and use nail glue, that took about another hour.

So, basically wanted to get some advise to suggest to the next braider if I decide to go to another one....

Did she glue and knot them as well :eek:

What type of hair are you using as I am sure they don't need to be using glue or knotting anymore.

You need to opt for the Kanakolan (sp) hair so all they do is plait it out to the desire length and then when all the head of hair done braids just dip sections by sections in hot water and it will seal it.

I can not believe they are still using clue and knots!

dominican757
05-18-2009, 06:00 AM
every time i do braids i burn them if they are synthetic and I do it so lightly you cant even tell. When I was little my braider burned them a bunch and I got fuzz everywhere. But if I use human hair I normally leave it as is.

LilMissRed
05-18-2009, 06:04 AM
when I went to the african salons they knotted the ends(I normally got the PONY hair)... when I had my DD's hair braided, we used wet n wavey(Human Hair) so we left it without

btru2u
05-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Did she glue and knot them as well :eek:

What type of hair are you using as I am sure they don't need to be using glue or knotting anymore.

You need to opt for the Kanakolan (sp) hair so all they do is plait it out to the desire length and then when all the head of hair done braids just dip sections by sections in hot water and it will seal it.

I can not believe they are still using clue and knots!

o.k. maybe I should elaborate, she used toyokalon it is similar to (kanakolan) but not as course, but she started not do to do anything to my ends at all, but about 1/4 through doing my hair. I asked her what do she usually do to reserve the ends, I had mention to her that I know a lot of people like to use nail glue, she said she did not like to use nail glue because it made it harder to braid, and that she preferred to knot it, but what wind up happening is she finished braiding my hair and then, she went back and glued every single individual braid..

I'm not sure how ppl do it now and days b/c it's been a while since I got braids that's why I got on here to see what other ppl do!

I hope I explained a little better....

leentora
05-18-2009, 07:14 AM
o.k. maybe I should elaborate, she used toyokalon it is similar to (kanakolan) but not as course, but she started not do to do anything to my ends at all, but about 1/4 through doing my hair. I asked her what do she usually do to reserve the ends, I had mention to her that I know a lot of people like to use nail glue, she said she did not like to use nail glue because it made it harder to braid, and that she preferred to knot it, but what wind up happening is she finished braiding my hair and then, she went back and glued every single individual braid..

I'm not sure how ppl do it now and days b/c it's been a while since I got braids that's why I got on here to see what other ppl do!

I hope I explained a little better....

Yes that is correct they are simialr so all is needed to be done to them is seal them in hot water - and youa re good to go! No Glue or knot is needed!

brittbritt
05-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I do my own braids. I use slip knots on my individuals. Back in the day I've tried it all including burning, hot water, and small black rubber bands.

btru2u
05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I do my own braids. I use slip knots on my individuals. Back in the day I've tried it all including burning, hot water, and small black rubber bands.

what is slip knots?

LilMissRed
05-19-2009, 06:23 AM
yeah how do u do the slip knots.. I wanna say thats what I used to get when I got my hair braided and the next time my DD's hair needs braiding I plan to try it and I want to do the slip know thing.. I was thinking there might be a tutorial on youtube, but I havent checked yet

Tall, Black Canadian
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM

I didn't vote for the same reason. When I've done my own braids (usually Kanekalon), I go to the end of the hair or I dip in hot water. When I do curly braids for friends I do a very discreet knot and it stays put. Human hair can go right to the end as well without unravelling.

I'm no expert, but this is what has worked well for me in the past.

Dividir
05-29-2009, 08:10 AM
I voted hot water.

But it depends on what hair style it is in. Some times it has been knotted, but you cant really see the knot!

cutecarmel
08-01-2009, 07:14 PM
This time I had my har curled in cold wave rods and dipped in hot water and the ends are reserved and my hair is still curly after over a month.

naomimaxine927
08-01-2009, 08:18 PM
When I use to get box braids, I used human hair. they would put them in big braids, and dip them in hot water, and then unbraid it, and it would have the wavy look.

btru2u
08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I just got my hair braided today and I had the girl tie a knot and put nail glue over the knot, that way its for sure to be secure...

Babbie
10-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Hi

I have box braids, about (1 inch) she normally dips it in hot water. Some still come loose, I think it because of the thickness of the braid. So I just re-braid the braid and dip it again.

Question: my hair is 12 inches, my braids are about 4-5 inches longer then my hair, is the very hot water damaging to my ends???

Current APL
Goal BSL - March 2010

btru2u
10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi

I have box braids, about (1 inch) she normally dips it in hot water. Some still come loose, I think it because of the thickness of the braid. So I just re-braid the braid and dip it again.

Question: my hair is 12 inches, my braids are about 4-5 inches longer then my hair, is the very hot water damaging to my ends???

Current APL
Goal BSL - March 2010

I would imagine so! I would get a good idea as to when you hair ends and where the extensions began and just dip the very, very end...

virtuouswoman
10-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi

Current APL
Goal BSL - March 2010

I don't think so, because your actual hair isn't really going into the water right?

naomimaxine927
10-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I got my technique from shops I use to get my hair done. I know I could braid the hair in sections, and but rollers on the ends, and dip it in hot water for a curly look. But I prefer it to look wavy, so I just dip the braid in for a minute or so, squeeze the braid with a towel, and take the braid out, and it's wavy.

HairObsessed
10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I like the perm rods at the ends and dipped in hot water... as soon as I get some cash money this head will be in some BOX BRAIDS!!!!

angel_hair
10-31-2009, 03:41 PM
I like these braids. I think they are really cute.

ysm
11-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I like these braids. I think they are really cute.

I like them too, but they are too small. I always get my braids w/a view to how long its going to take me to unbraid them. It would take me quite a while to undo those! :)

Starliante
11-21-2009, 11:00 PM
they are burned neatly. curled. and dippd n hot water

cutecarmel
01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
My braider puts cold wave rods on the ends of the braids (maybe 4-5 braid per rod) and dips them in hot water. The braids don't unravel and the ends stay curled the whole time my hair is braided, even when I wash it!

FeistyFeeFee
03-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I came on here looking for someone to tell me how to do those knots, I tried it with the braids I'm doing and the knots keep coming loose. I started to use little bit of gel, but I don't want anything in my hair (real or synthetic) if it's gonna get flakey. The hair I'm using is LoMe Romance Twist Bulk, you can find a photo by looking on Dome Hair Catalog .com. Am I taking too much hair trying to knot it? I'm going to trying to finish because I've been walking around half done all day, lol.:scared:

btru2u
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I came on here looking for someone to tell me how to do those knots, I tried it with the braids I'm doing and the knots keep coming loose. I started to use little bit of gel, but I don't want anything in my hair (real or synthetic) if it's gonna get flakey. The hair I'm using is LoMe Romance Twist Bulk, you can find a photo by looking on Dome Hair Catalog .com. Am I taking too much hair trying to knot it? I'm going to trying to finish because I've been walking around half done all day, lol.:scared:
Try going to You Tube, it is a good source for tips, they have alot of tutorials and how to videos, perhaps, they have something on how to tie knots to reserve your braids....

Good Luck!

ysm
03-13-2010, 06:58 PM
yea, but they are mostly working on other people's hair. I need videos showing how to do my own hair.

ngozi
08-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I always used nail glue but I'm going to try hot water next time :)