View Full Version : What shampoo prior to color???

QuadSquadMom
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm set to use a no ammonia/no peroxide semi-perm color to touch up grays today.

I read the directions which say to apply to shampooed, towel-dried hair. It got me thinking of what kind of shampoo would be best.

My thinking was that a conditioning poo would apply coating to the hair which might keep the color from taking as well; perhaps use a clarifying poo to strip it to have the color take better.

Thoughts???? TIA!!!

QuadSquadMom
04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Bump!

Anyone?

I'm leaning towards using Isoplus neutralizing shampoo (have it on hand). It says leaves hair "squeaky clean". Thinking it will be okay since I did pre-poo. I really want the color to take & really cover those shining grays!

abbyZ
04-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Do you have porosity control shampoo? I think that would be best.

Trendolyn
04-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I hope someone gets in here and answers I really want to color my hair but I don't think I will go permanent ...... how long should you wait to color after a relaxer?

divaforlife
04-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry honey that's a tough one.

creolesugar
04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
I would like to know, too. I don't know much about coloring yet.

I wonder if Nexxus Dualiste is a good one. It looks good.

http://butterflydiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/untitled.jpg

one of em is Color Protection + Anti-Breakage Shampoo & Conditioner

The Anti-Breakage Shampoo and Conditioner has been tested in the labs to prevent fibre breakage by a whopping 98%! They contain Keratin Amino acids, soy and wheat proteins.

creolesugar
09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I use Roux Porosity Control now!

evanny
09-10-2009, 05:14 PM
I use Roux Porosity Control now!

Do you like it? Have you used the Nexxus Dualist too? If so, did you like it?

creolesugar
09-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I've only used Nexxus Dualiste conditioner, and I love it. I won't get it again only because the packaging makes it so hard to use up the whole bottle. I had to bust mine open LOL

I like Roux a lot. I even got Formoydl for double-processed hair.

evanny
09-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I've only used Nexxus Dualiste conditioner, and I love it. I won't get it again only because the packaging makes it so hard to use up the whole bottle. I had to bust mine open LOL

I like Roux a lot. I even got Formoydl for double-processed hair.

OMG I've been thinking about buying that too! I have the Roux Mendex and the Roux porosity conditioner and I like them. I'm convinced, I want to go get the formoydl treatments too. Thanks Creole!

creolesugar
09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
You're welcome! What does mendex do?

miZZPortah
09-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm set to use a no ammonia/no peroxide semi-perm color to touch up grays today.

I read the directions which say to apply to shampooed, towel-dried hair. It got me thinking of what kind of shampoo would be best.

My thinking was that a conditioning poo would apply coating to the hair which might keep the color from taking as well; perhaps use a clarifying poo to strip it to have the color take better.

Thoughts???? TIA!!!

A cowash sounds like a good idea to me. L'Oreal has a new shampoo and conditioner called EverPure Sulfate Free Color System. Perhaps that will be worth a try? Sorry I can't be of more help, I don't color my hair. :(

evanny
09-11-2009, 05:56 PM
You're welcome! What does mendex do?

It's supposed to mend split ends and prevent new ones from forming. I need to use it a couple more times before I can fully decide if I like it or not.

shristychandran
09-18-2009, 08:01 AM
I prefer to use a shampoo without conditioner so that the shampoo does the job of removing dirt, dandruff and flakes if any so that the hair color does a gret job in the end

rubyclifton
12-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Use a good quality mild shampoo, but it should be able to remove the oil from the hair, because the oily hair don't dye well

Vermelha
12-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Professional stylists use what is called a chelating shampoo, a shampoo that rids of mineral deposits left behind from hard water, pollution and other environmental toxins. Chelating shampoos remove calcium buildup, which causes hair to not take to color if this residue is left on. This is used prior to the coloring or bleaching process.

Try JOICO K-Pak Chelating or ORS Creamy Aloe (milder, but effective). Do avoid use of regular shampoos, organic/natural shampoos or conditioning shampoos, as these leave behind cones, usually dimethicone, which coats the hair and doesn't allow for the best color development.