View Full Version : Does braids really grow out hair? (Fact or myth)

blueberry2118
04-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I heard a lot of people say that braids grow hair. Is this a fact or just a myth?

Vermelha
04-13-2009, 11:55 PM
I heard a lot of people say that braids grow hair. Is this a fact or just a myth?

Depending upon what kind of braids you get. For most, cornrows and box braids are great for growing out the hair year round. However, micro braids tend to reverse progress and cause much breakage due to excessive traction to the scalp.

I used cornrows as a low maintenance style to transition and grow out the relaxer. It was very effective.

brittbritt
04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
100% fact if done correctly! I grew my hair with box braids. My hair has responded wonderfully. A couple things I should mention. Don't get them put in too tight. use a moisturizer. Braids tend to dry out the hair when using synthetics. Do not leave them in longer than 6 weeks. Well thats my personal recommendation. It can cause extreme damage and matting. Plus all that new growth looks unattractive that shows at the root. Your braids begin to look old. Do wear a scarf to bed at night it keeps them looking fresh. You can slick down rebellious hairs with conditioner and tie a scarf around your head. Box braids lasts longer. Corn rows last maybe two weeks at most. I do believe this is one of the easiest and best ways to grow your hair well I can verify that It worked for me. If there is anything that works better I will be running to find out what is no matter the cost. lol.

blueberry2118
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
This may sound stupid, but do braidouts aid in growth or is it just a protective style?

abbyZ
04-14-2009, 02:24 PM
I think braids are a good protective style if done properly like brittbritt and Vermelha said. I don't think they make your hair grow any faster. It's just easier to see the growth and because your hair is protected, braids can make it easier to maintain the ends and retain growth.

Vermelha
04-14-2009, 03:03 PM
This may sound stupid, but do braidouts aid in growth or is it just a protective style?

Just a protective style.

leentora
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I think it helps due to low manipulation! Not the false hair itself making your own hair grow, but the fact that you do not mess with your own hair for a priod of time, you would have retained the growth gained each month which if my memoery serves me well 1/2in - 1in a month).

As the other ladies said it also depends on the type of braids as tight braids and micros will surely not help to retain the growth but pull out the growth gained and also root up what you had in the first place lol.

rocktornadowildfire
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Thats what i did with my hair. I wear braids almost all the time, because i dont have time in the morning to fuss with my hair, but i recently just took out my hair and wearing it natural. At the end of the month im getting my hair put back into braids. So my hair grew about 2-3 inches in braids. :P Keeps your ends protected. And i can wake up, brush and go. :)

trisha
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
since braiding my own hair,it is growing faster and longer. I think braids help give your hair a nice rest and allow it to do its own thing. But the braids shouldn't be tight.

rocktornadowildfire
04-15-2009, 04:10 PM
since braiding my own hair,it is growing faster and longer. I think braids help give your hair a nice rest and allow it to do its own thing. But the braids shouldn't be tight.

I agree with you on that. Tight braids hurt...and they break your hair... :scared:

NubianCurls
04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
100% fact if done correctly! I grew my hair with box braids. My hair has responded wonderfully. A couple things I should mention. Don't get them put in too tight. use a moisturizer. Braids tend to dry out the hair when using synthetics. Do not leave them in longer than 6 weeks. Well thats my personal recommendation. It can cause extreme damage and matting. Plus all that new growth looks unattractive that shows at the root. Your braids begin to look old. Do wear a scarf to bed at night it keeps them looking fresh. You can slick down rebellious hairs with conditioner and tie a scarf around your head. Box braids lasts longer. Corn rows last maybe two weeks at most. I do believe this is one of the easiest and best ways to grow your hair well I can verify that It worked for me. If there is anything that works better I will be running to find out what is no matter the cost. lol.

What type of hair extension should I use if synthetic hair tends to dry natural hair?

Vermelha
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
What type of hair extension should I use if synthetic hair tends to dry natural hair?

Uh, natural....

allset
04-18-2009, 06:34 AM
I have been very blessed with this so far, i have micros and the new growth is amazing, the young lady who does my braids never braids them tight and she is always making sure she braids them in a way that is not damaging even when I take them out. The first time I had them I did not take care of them properly and my hair was matted bad, but now that I have a system I have great growth and like you said I dont have time to fool with my hair, but I keep them oiled and covered, I have had this set for 3 months and people keep coming up to me saying your braids are so nice, I am like what I have had these for three months and its time to take them out, my growth is alot (although I am expecting) I still have about 2.5 inches of growth in the three months

brittbritt
04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
You can use synthetics but make sure to moisturuze them with braid spray, water, or dilluted conditioner. Your braids may slip a little bit, but I'ts better to have moisturized hair than dry damaged hair. You can also consider using real hair, it holds moisture better!

Trendolyn
04-20-2009, 01:29 AM
I will say this .... if you are adding hair and using synthetic hair make sure that it isn't too harsh b/c the plastic will sometimes cut your hair..... clip your ends too and make sure that it isn't braided too tight.... I don't that braiding per-se grows your hair out I think the low maintenance style gives your hair a break and therefore it grows:)

MILF
04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
MYTH!!!

Nothing from the outside will make your hair grow from the inside.

What braids and weaves do is allow your natural hair to be left alone and therefore less breakage occurs from heating and chemical, thus allowing the hair to remain healthy and in turn grow from the inside out.

miZZPortah
04-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I will say this .... if you are adding hair and using synthetic hair make sure that it isn't too harsh b/c the plastic will sometimes cut your hair..... clip your ends too and make sure that it isn't braided too tight.... I don't that braiding per-se grows your hair out I think the low maintenance style gives your hair a break and therefore it grows:)

ITA, it's a protective style

Bodybutter
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes, I think so. Braids are a protective style which helps to minimize manipulation. The problem if you can call it that with braids is the seemingly large amount of hair loss once you remove the braids..it's only shed hair which you would have lost anyway if not braided-six of one half dozen of the other:mad:.

blacktresses
04-22-2009, 06:09 PM
I braided my natural hair for a long time (almost 2 years) and it has worked wonders in growing out my hair. I had to use my real hair though because my mom is against wearing synthetic hair.

choxie
04-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Depending upon what kind of braids you get. For most, cornrows and box braids are great for growing out the hair year round. However, micro braids tend to reverse progress and cause much breakage due to excessive traction to the scalp.

I used cornrows as a low maintenance style to transition and grow out the relaxer. It was very effective.

This is what I am hoping to do with my daughter's hair. She is 11 going on 12.

choxie
04-23-2009, 07:32 PM

Thank you for this information. What size box braids do you use and what kind of hair do you put in?

brittbritt
04-24-2009, 08:57 AM
OK I see there is some confusion about what makes your hair grow. Nothing that you do to the outside of your hair will make it grow. However making hair stronger with products, great nutrient and low manipulation styles like braids reduce the stress on hair due to everyday styling. Hence you see hair growth. If done correctly, the hair is not breaking underneath the braids; which is the main cause of not retaining length. Braids retain length that occurs with your natural hair growth rate.

brittbritt
04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Thank you for this information. What size box braids do you use and what kind of hair do you put in?
You are welcome. I use medium sized box braids about 1cm or a little less. I think micros are dangerous because the weight of fake hair is too much for such a small amount of hair especially when new growth starts to show. I use magic touch toyokalon hair. style yaki. It's fake hair that is silky and you don't have to cut the ends because it's already curly. I hope i've helped.

SOFT
05-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Hello, To all the strong women here

I have had my hair braided now for a year and a half and it grew great.

Now I have a question maybe some one could help. I love my braids and the work for me. But need a change and not to into the twist so to braid or not to braid? Just so you know no relaxer in my hair for over two years HELP.

Alidasturn
05-02-2009, 07:42 AM
I just met a student here in Russia who is from Nigeria. She has a friend here who is a braider... I appreciate all the feedback about braiding being a protective hairstyle. I am thinking it will be good for the summer!

Mazza64
05-03-2009, 01:00 PM
My hair always responds very well to Braids or twists. it's when I take it out the problems begin. :O(

LilMissRed
05-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Just agreeing with the many other comments and speaking from past experience.. do not get micros! also make sure u continue to take care of ur hair.. true with braids u wont need heat or much manipulation, but please dont get lazy and forget to moisturize-thats what I did!
This upcoming weekend my dd (10) will be getting her hair braided for the summer.. I'm going to start her with a medium box braid since shes got so much hair-I dont want to add TOO much weight to her already med-length hair and I'll be mixing together a botte of concoction t keep her moisturized-Lord knows Ive got a bathroom cabinet full of usables =0)

munchy
05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Just agreeing with the many other comments and speaking from past experience.. do not get micros! also make sure u continue to take care of ur hair.. true with braids u wont need heat or much manipulation, but please dont get lazy and forget to moisturize-thats what I did!
This upcoming weekend my dd (10) will be getting her hair braided for the summer.. I'm going to start her with a medium box braid since shes got so much hair-I dont want to add TOO much weight to her already med-length hair and I'll be mixing together a botte of concoction t keep her moisturized-Lord knows Ive got a bathroom cabinet full of usables =0)

Go to the Crown and Glory website and they have good techniques and regime for keeping up with boxed braids.

LilMissRed
05-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Go to the Crown and Glory website and they have good techniques and regime for keeping up with boxed braids.

Thanks for the FYI lady! I'll check that out

prettykinks
05-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Braids will help my hair grow( retain length) because there is hardly no manipulation. I have to be sure to not be lazy and keep them washed and moisturized. I also redo the front and back edges every two weeks to keep them looking fresh.

choxie
05-20-2009, 03:24 PM
You are welcome. I use medium sized box braids about 1cm or a little less. I think micros are dangerous because the weight of fake hair is too much for such a small amount of hair especially when new growth starts to show. I use magic touch toyokalon hair. style yaki. It's fake hair that is silky and you don't have to cut the ends because it's already curly. I hope i've helped.

Thank you BrittBritt, you have helped alot.

OK I see there is some confusion about what makes your hair grow. Nothing that you do to the outside of your hair will make it grow. However making hair stronger with products, great nutrient and low manipulation styles like braids reduce the stress on hair due to everyday styling. Hence you see hair growth. If done correctly, the hair is not breaking underneath the braids; which is the main cause of not retaining length. Braids retain length that occurs with your natural hair growth rate.

I totally agree. I think the benefit comes from the protectiveness of the style. For me, lo-manipulation is the best.

Can you post some pics of her hair? I did some box braids on my dd's hair in August of last year and they looked a little too grown. I want her to look her age.

Also, you say these are for the summer? How long do you let them stay in? Ilet hers stay in for about 3 months, but had some build up problems.

Love this technique. I used this method to grow my hair out for my big chop back in 2003. Wore braids for 8 months, then whacked off my relaxer.

Braids will help my hair grow( retain length) because there is hardly no manipulation. I have to be sure to not be lazy and keep them washed and moisturized. I also redo the front and back edges every two weeks to keep them looking fresh.

Redoing the front and back has always been my down fall.

lilo moon
05-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Braids have always worked for me. If we think about it how did your mom do your hair when youy were little. I know i had braids, cornrows and ponytails all over my head. my hair was really long then. that's what i'm doing to my dd hair.

kjmaria29
06-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone! Im new to this site so im just trying to figure things out. Does anyone know how to care for kinky twists? i Just got them two days ago:)

jesimon003
06-30-2009, 01:16 AM
I tried braidouts but it was a mess, for twistouts, how many should you put in? I want a full had but I would like it to be longer in lenght, kinda like a cross between beyonce and alicia hair at the bet awards 09!

Vermelha
06-30-2009, 06:58 AM
I tried braidouts but it was a mess, for twistouts, how many should you put in? I want a full had but I would like it to be longer in lenght, kinda like a cross between beyonce and alicia hair at the bet awards 09!

Erm... depends on the size of your head and the thickness of your hair. Like, for a twistout, it takes me about nearly 22+ to do a big twist out fro. But I would have to do even more + use rollers to get it to hang down.

And, to be honest, I'm not sure the length of your hair, but the length gives the hair weight so that it can be worn down and long. I don't think a twistout would give a beyonce hair style at the awards show. Nor Alicia's. :( Their hair was obviously thermally styled and or rollerset.

What I mean is: Twistouts can make curls too tight. I would opt for flexirods or rollers to achieve that look instead.

Vermelha
06-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Hi everyone! Im new to this site so im just trying to figure things out. Does anyone know how to care for kinky twists? i Just got them two days ago:)

Well, don't pull them into ponytails too often. Try to wear them down. Constant pulling and twisting into updos can cause the hair to twist at the root, causing breakage at the roots.

I had to take out my mom's and her hair broke off at the root because she kept styling it every single day as if it were regular hair.

abbyZ
06-30-2009, 07:06 AM

brittbritt, ur hair looks gorgeous in your avatar!! It is relaxed? Do you often just braid your hair? It seems long enough for it to work nicely.

4cgrow
06-30-2009, 03:42 PM
brittbritt, ur hair looks gorgeous in your avatar!! It is relaxed? Do you often just braid your hair? It seems long enough for it to work nicely.

I was thinking the same thing she got some gorg hair. Brit, make me happy tell me you are a 4c type hair like me...then i can FINALLY have hope!!:D:D

J.S.M.
07-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Braids don't actually grow hair. It's just a protective style, and protective styles allow hair to grow and you're more likely to retain length because your hair doesn't have to go through the daily wear and tear that loose hair does.

LadyLikeGfx
08-12-2009, 04:21 PM
going back to my highschool days 9th grade year my hair was broken off and short only a little bit past my ears and I refused to get braids.

10th grade my mother forced me to get them and she did them the whole year for me, and it grew my hair at least to the top of my shoulders.

11th grade i started to get micros year round, this grew my hair out tramendously BUT it did take out my edges. I was getting micros from 11th(2003) up until 2007, and my hair was past my shoulders but my edges were brittle and thin.

My hair fell out due to Lupus, so after I stopped perming my hair and let it grow out long enough I got box plats and grew my hair out to get sew ins where my hair would be braided down and that helped my hair grow to where it's at now, my hair is a little above BSL.

SOOOO YES BRAIDS DO HELP GROW YOUR HAIR DEPENDING ON WHO YOU HAVE DO THEM AND HOW YOU MAINTAIN THEM I THINK MICROS WORK WELL AS LONG AS YOU REDO THE EDGES INSTEAD OF KEEP THEM IN THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH HAVING THEM.

cutecarmel
08-14-2009, 08:45 PM
If they are not too tight, yes because braids keep you from messing around in your hair all of the time with heat and abusive styling products and also its a lot easier to take care of your scalp with braids.

Ilovebraids
08-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Fact, braids have grown my hair out pretty well.

todaysblackgirl
08-15-2009, 01:01 PM
yes braids really do grow your hair. last december i had put a relaxer in my hair. it crucified my hair to say the least. i basically had to start all over. so i just gradually put the boxbraids i myself since i know how. and unfortunately its not the length that is was pre relaxer but its getting there. so yes im living proof that braids do make your hair grow

allset
08-18-2009, 09:10 AM
ABSOLUTELY if they are done right I have had micro's in my hair since September of last year and I have grown about 4 inches of hair, which is great for me, my hair grows slow, it is very healthy and now down to my shoulders, I am very pleased with me hair growth

MsStarr
09-28-2009, 04:09 PM
braids can help your hair grow b/cit is one of those protective styles, unfortunately braiding the hair to tight around the hairline will cause breakage or pulling of the hair so watch out for that

Anagen
10-12-2009, 08:23 PM
That is a myth. Actually, long term braiding will cause a condition called Traction Alopecia. The condition is commonly found in the frontal hair line. The roots become loosened and then inflamed. I see this condition daily weekly in my clinic.

naomimaxine927
10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't say it's a complete myth. Tight braids can cause traction alopecia but if done properly, and if it isn't too tight, braids gives your hair a break from daily styling, or heat.

HairObsessed
10-15-2009, 03:05 PM
I keep saying I am going to get braids but punk out at the last minute. I keep saying this money I can use for groceries... lol!

naomimaxine927
10-15-2009, 05:39 PM
HairObsessed,you need to watch you some youtube tuts, and get you some hur (hair) lol , and do it yourself. It only cost how much you spend on the hair. I paid 1.98 for synthetic #1b sassy hair on sallybeauty.com, they have some other brands as well.

Babbie
10-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Hello ladies,

I have had my hair in a protective style for a little over a year. I first started with sew in weave, stay in for 2 months, let my hair rest for 3 weeks and but the weave back in. This I did get some growth. This last 2 months I tried the box braids, nothing fancy just 1 inch thick braids, I must say I have seen more growth with the box then the sew in. It my be because I can do better scalp treatments and moisturizing with the box braids. They have been in my hair for 2 months, I had to re-due most of them after a month because of the growth and they started twisting I thought they were going to lock up. Due to my work load I can't take them down for another 2 weeks. But so far I have seen at least 2 inch growth.

carazylady
11-13-2009, 07:30 PM
I agree if you keep braids in your hair grows longer and thicker. NOt faster but you can notice the growth. My mom used to perm my hair all the time and when I braided my hair the perm grew out! :D

naomimaxine927
11-13-2009, 07:31 PM
As long as the braids aren't tight, the hair should grow as usual.

ysm
11-15-2009, 03:15 PM
It's a great way to transition too. My hair was in braids for almost 1 year and I had major growth. I kept them in 4-6 weeks, gave my hair a 2 week rest then rebraided them. As long as the braids are not tight and the hair too cheap. The really cheap, kinky hair will slice into your hair like ribbons.

carazylady
12-12-2009, 08:23 PM
yep my daughters been gettin braids since she was a child
the braids aren't to tight n u can see the growth
but make sure you keep your scalp moisturize or your hair will break because of dryness
if you are planning to keep them in long
make sure to wash them
so you dont get lice

choshi1
12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
It's a great way to transition too. My hair was in braids for almost 1 year and I had major growth. I kept them in 4-6 weeks, gave my hair a 2 week rest then rebraided them. As long as the braids are not tight and the hair too cheap. The really cheap, kinky hair will slice into your hair like ribbons.

Thanks for the tip, i usually prefer to braid my hair myself and invariably don't spend too much thinking about the quality of the hair i get. next braids will be pricier than normal. i think i am a tight braider - not when i am braiding but after i am done. :D

hair4me09
12-14-2009, 09:37 AM
They are okay...I have had micro's lots of times, never broke my hair off it made it londer and thicker. I guess it depends on the care of the braids while wearing them that really makes a difference...

naomimaxine927
12-14-2009, 02:10 PM
I think next time I braid my hair I will spring for pricier hair. The hair I use is super cheap, but it tangles easily. So I want a high grade synthetic or decent human hair.

MysticMatriarch
05-25-2010, 03:41 AM
I wore braids for years and it was very instrumental in retaining length. Once your hair is out of braids having a good routine is essential.