View Full Version : Do you or your stylist do a protein treatment before the neutralizing shampoo?

abbyZ
04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I've been checking out the various hair forums and hair sites and found that a bunch of people recommend a protein treatment before neutralizing when using a lye relaxer. This is how they do it:

Relax
Wash out relaxer with water
Protein conditioner (reconstructor) for 3-5 minutes without heat
Rinse out treatment with water
Neutralizing shampoo
Moisturizing deep conditioning treatment

I've become fascinated with hair chemistry :D and found that Dr. Ali Syed (the Avlon President and research chemist) recommends some kind of conditioning treatment before neutralizing too and explains why (The pH roller coaster of the hair during relaxing - IN THE LAB, WITH DR. ALI SYED (http://www.dralisyed.com/2008/10/the-ph-roller-coaster-of-the-h.html#more):))

"3. After 13 to 18 minutes of relaxer treatment, the excessively curly hair generally becomes straight and at that stage, the relaxer is rinsed from the hair with tepid warm water for 4 to 5 minutes. The pH of the hair drops down to about 10 and the hair isn't as swollen as when the relaxer was on the hair. The cuticles are about 30 percent open at this stage. This is the second best opportunity to condition hair in the relaxing process. Since the cuticles are about 30 percent open, the conditioners such as high molecular weight cationic polymers are able to penetrate deep into the cortex of the hair and condition hair from the inside out...
4. After rinsing the post-relaxer conditioner with water, the hair is then shampooed with Neutralizing/Normalizing shampoo of pH 4.5 to 6.5."

I'd like to do this myself but I've only recently switched to lye and my last stylist didn't do this. Have you done this or does your stylist do it?

TIA!

tessa
04-06-2009, 10:31 PM
I use either Afirm 5 in 1 or Design Essentials 6 in 1 after rinsing my relaxer. When I went to the salon the stylist used to rinse the relaxer and put some kind of conditioner on and put me under the dryer :confused:.

evanny
04-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Yeah I do it. I use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor after I rinse oue the relaxer and before I neutralize. I leave it on for about 2 to 3 minutes then I rinse it out. I like it a lot. I don't have that flat look when I do this extra step.

leentora
04-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Yes I do as I self relax my own hair! The line of products I use is from the Avlon Line hence there are various steps to follow through in the relaxer system - the Affirm 5 in 1, or the Fibergaurd Sustenance or the Affirm Positive Link are protein base or in the form of protein in this relaxer system - they are the same steps step 3 in the relaxer system of Affirm/Affirm Fiberguard.

The protein treatment is there to strength - as when we relaxer our hair the relaxer breaks down the molecules in the hair fiberguard/shaft in order to get the results we desire, the protein treatment if used right after the relaxer process the protein treatment helps to restore/build up the molecules that were broken down during the relaxer process.

munchy
04-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks,I thought you were suppose to do the treatments a week after the relaxer.

abbyZ
04-07-2009, 07:25 AM
I use either Afirm 5 in 1 or Design Essentials 6 in 1 after rinsing my relaxer. When I went to the salon the stylist used to rinse the relaxer and put some kind of conditioner on and put me under the dryer :confused:.

You weren't burning up?? :eek: How did your hair turn out??

leentora
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks,I thought you were suppose to do the treatments a week after the relaxer.

There are two types of Protein treatments you ave a mild version which ihe one you want us before you neturalize the hair and then there is he hardcore version which is good use a weekafter you reaxer your hair as using the hardcore one straight after relaxer will or may revert some peoples hair.

tessa
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
You weren't burning up?? :eek: How did your hair turn out??

She did put a plastic shower cap on me before putting me under the dryer. My hair had a lot of ups and downs. Sometimes it was healthy and other times I experienced quite a bit of shedding and breakage. I used to have to have a couple of inches cut off sometimes, but it grew back quite quickly. I thought that her relaxer skills were top notch. I was just ignorant; I did not know any better. My hair became much healthier when I started self-relaxing.

abbyZ
04-07-2009, 11:14 AM
There are two types of Protein treatments you ave a mild version which ihe one you want us before you neturalize the hair and then there is he hardcore version which is good use a weekafter you reaxer your hair as using the hardcore one straight after relaxer will or may revert some peoples hair.

Leentora, what treatment do you use? I usually do a hardcore protein treatment the week before I relax (I just started using Aphogee 2 step) and would be afraid of using it again the week after.

dancerTJ
05-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, when I relax my hair the step I use in my Affirm step #3 is to use a protien conditioner , before you shampoo. My hair feels so good afterwards.

Lady Hawk
11-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah I do it. I use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor after I rinse oue the relaxer and before I neutralize. I leave it on for about 2 to 3 minutes then I rinse it out. I like it a lot. I don't have that flat look when I do this extra step.

I use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor also, but I leave it on for 5 minutes total. I noticed with this step before I neutralize, the suds never turn pink only white.

evanny
11-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor also, but I leave it on for 5 minutes total. I noticed with this step before I neutralize, the suds never turn pink only white.

I just read what I wrote in the comment that you quoted. I leave it on for 5 minutes too. I only left it on for 2 minutes once. lol I too have noticed that the suds are never pink too. I still neutralize like 3 times b/c I'm paranoid.

abbyZ
11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I just read what I wrote in the comment that you quoted. I leave it on for 5 minutes too. I only left it on for 2 minutes once. lol I too have noticed that the suds are never pink too. I still neutralize like 3 times b/c I'm paranoid.

Me too. At least three times, usually. :D

evanny
11-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Me too. At least three times, usually. :D

Girl it's gotten so bad with me that I do all of that neutralizing and then I wash with a chelating shampoo, and then I wash again with a moistuizing one. :eek:

Lady Hawk
11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Girl it's gotten so bad with me that I do all of that neutralizing and then I wash with a chelating shampoo, and then I wash again with a moistuizing one. :eek:

I neutralize three times the same as you ladies, and I chelate (ORS) and use a moisturizing shampoo after I color my hair. All the washing is what takes so long on relaxer day, but it does make me feel more confident that I got all the relaxer out of my hair.

abbyZ
11-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Evanny and Lady Hawk, can you suggest some good chelating shampoos?

evanny
11-20-2009, 08:20 AM

The ORS creamy aloe, Nexxus Kelate shampoo, Quantum chelating shampoo, Nexxus aloe rid, Joico K-Pac Chelating shampoo, L'anza Swim & Sun Daily Chelating Shampoo, Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing and Chelating Shampoo. Those are the ones that I know of. A lot of the shampoos for swimmers are cheltaing shampoos b/c the swimmers have to get that chlorine and other mineral deposits from the pool out of their hair. HTH

Lady Hawk
11-20-2009, 09:14 AM

ORS Olive Oil Aloe Shampoo
Quantum (at Sally"s)

I've only used ORS.

lamaria211
11-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I neutralize three times the same as you ladies, and I chelate (ORS) and use a moisturizing shampoo after I color my hair. All the washing is what takes so long on relaxer day, but it does make me feel more confident that I got all the relaxer out of my hair.

you are both paranoid you said you use ors as a chelating shampoo but its also a neutralizing shampoo

Lady Hawk
11-20-2009, 03:01 PM
you are both paranoid you said you use ors as a chelating shampoo but its also a neutralizing shampoo

I'm not being paranoid, just careful since I'm working with such a strong chemical. The ORS does both - chelate and neutralize. I don't use the ORS to neutralize, I only use it to remove calcium, magnesium and iron build-up from my hair. My regular neutralizer is color coded and I make sure there are no pink suds in my hair. I allow it to stay on my hair for a total of 5 minutes twice before washing it out. Then I move on to the chelating step.

Some women have experienced severe hair and scalp damage because they did not neutralize properly.

evanny
11-20-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm not being paranoid, just careful since I'm working with such a strong chemical. The ORS does both - chelate and neutralize. I don't use the ORS to neutralize, I only use it to remove calcium, magnesium and iron build-up from my hair. My regular neutralizer is color coded and I make sure there are no pink suds in my hair. I allow it to stay on my hair for a total of 5 minutes twice before washing it out. Then I move on to the chelating step.

Some women have experienced severe hair and scalp damage because they did not neutralize properly.

My hair came out b/c I didn't do it right. :scared::crying:

LisaLisa
11-21-2009, 12:41 AM
I have had some stylist skip the protein tx before neutralizng.I now self relax and I use CB Smoothie 6-n-1 Conditioner with great results.

Lady Hawk
11-21-2009, 07:47 AM
I have had some stylist skip the protein tx before neutralizng.I now self relax and I use CB Smoothie 6-n-1 Conditioner with great results.

When I did go to the salon, I remember the stylist always neutralized first. Now that I self relax, I do the protein condition treatment before neutralizing. The first tiime I did it, I was scared. :scared: I've been doing it for three years now with no adverse effects. So I'm more confident now. But I time it and I never go over the five minutes.