View Full Version : Anyones else use Biotin for hair growth?

Acire30
04-05-2008, 04:40 AM
I have recently started useing a vitamin with high amounts of Biotin, a Horsetail Nettle supplement , and a Urtica supplement for hair growth has anyones else tried any of these?:o

denalove
04-05-2008, 09:13 AM
I have used Andrew Lessman's hair vitamins which contained biotin. I did have growth and my nails grew too, the only drawback was that they made me so nauseous that I had to stop taking them. My suggestion, eat a meal with each pill. Biotin is excellent for hair.

Q-TPIE
04-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I buy biotin from GNC, and let me tell you, it works! It has kept my hair healthy and it's growing like mad!

The Anti Hair Slave
04-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I heard it makes your skin break out.

Ashfast
04-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Yes it helps because the more of it you have in your body, the more your body absorbs amino acids, which helps your hair grow.

Yoli184
04-09-2008, 10:04 PM
I just started using hair vitamins again.I used them befor but not consistant. I started about 3 weeks ago, but I can already see the difference.

Yoli184
04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
What dosage are you using? 5000 or 2500?

Acire30
04-10-2008, 12:59 AM
What dosage are you using? 5000 or 2500?

3000mcg (Hair, Skin & Nails Formulas-GNC)

I know my fingernails have started to grow like mad. I think I'm going to stick with it I have notice a lot of new growth. I started taking them like a month before I got my hair braided and it seems that the parts between my braid are filling in with new growth faster than they did in the past.

I also started taking aherb called Urtica that is suppose to be good for your hair. Has anyone else tried it?

mya_wannabe
05-05-2008, 08:54 AM
i take 2000 mcg and along with a HSN vitamin and dont worry about breakouts. as long as you take a multi or b-complex you should be fine!

UneekDiva
05-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I only take 1000mcg and am working my way up to possibly 3000mcg. It works differently for everyone. I also take MSM, daily multi, fish oil and B-complex. My skin initially started breaking out when I added Biotin - which was expected because it detoxes your skin. I upped my water intake (which I needed to do anyways) and did a honey+cinnamon+nutmeg mask and nearly over night my skin was recovered. Also, if you are taking Biotin it is suggested that you take something with Inosotil in it (like in my B-Complex) which allegedly interacts with it and calms the breakouts down. Not everyone I know has had breakouts with Biotin - so it works differently for everyone.

Biotin has made my hair (everywhere - including eyelashes and eyebrows) grow faster and my nails are super healthy, strong and long. If you do start, start with the smallest dosage you can find, always drink water and eat something with it (as required with most supplements) - break the pill in half if you must to get used to any side effects you may have ;) good luck.

kita
06-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I have been using Biotin for 1 month. The verdict is still out.

princessTiana
10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
i take 3000mcg and they work really well for me. I got mine at the GMC store.

Siberia_McLean
10-19-2009, 08:27 AM
I used to use Bition, but for whatever reason I stopped. This may be a silly question, but is it ok to take Bition supplements, if you have relaxed hair?

LisaLisa
11-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I have tried different brands of Biotin in the past and none has worked like Freeda Biotin,expensive but it works.

Starliante
11-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Biotin is cool. I also notice stronger, harder nails

Sharii16
12-04-2009, 05:30 PM
i didnt know what this was and come to find out i have been using it for the past two years!! :)

Bodybutter
12-04-2009, 08:15 PM
The straight biotin used to make hair grow where I did not want it to:o. My biotin dosage is now in my Andrew Lessman Hair/Skin/Nails tablets. My nails are growing evenly for once and the tips are really strong and white. I cannot tell what it's doing to my hair as yet.

Bodybutter
12-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I used to use Bition, but for whatever reason I stopped. This may be a silly question, but is it ok to take Bition supplements, if you have relaxed hair?

Not silly at all..asking is better than guessing. Sure, hair type, relaxed or natural should be no problem- I started using it while relaxed still use as natural.

Siberia_McLean
12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I use Biotion off and on. I think that when the bottle that I have is gone, I might try a new one. Any suggestions?

acupofmagic
12-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I stop using Biotin a month ago. I took it for like 7 months and it had done NATTA for me. Absolutely nothing. I don't plan on trying it ever again.

Different strokes for different folks I guess haha.

sunsetkay
12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I take a hair/skin/nails supplement from gnc that has 3000mcg of biotin. i took it pretty inconsistently so i can't say whether or not it works...

goodluckcharms
12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I started using 2500 mcg Biotin for a week or two and I have been experiencing breakouts. Then again, I have not been taking any B-Complex supplements to counteract these breakouts. I want to go natural and make my hair grow longer but I don't know if I am on the right track. My last hairdo was a sew-in weave a few months ago. After I took it out, my hair was longer but there was a lot of breakage also.

How do I go about ensuring strong hair growth without spending a lot of money? I want to go completely natural - no extensions, chemical treatments, etc. But I do not know where to start and I don't want to do more harm than good to my hair.

As to the biotin supplements, I've noticed more nail growth than hair growth but I am seeing a bit of improvement in my hair but it is too soon to tell. I could be delusional and making myself believe I see something. I appreciate any help. If I sound redundant, I apologize. Thanks again !

choshi1
12-14-2009, 12:03 AM
i just started taking a multivitamin with 150% of required biotin needs per day, how long does it take to work?

Mmwilliams345
12-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I use Hair, SKin & Nails Formula from GNC that contains 3000mg of biotin..it is working for me :)

Vermelha
12-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I started using 2500 mcg Biotin for a week or two and I have been experiencing breakouts. Then again, I have not been taking any B-Complex supplements to counteract these breakouts. I want to go natural and make my hair grow longer but I don't know if I am on the right track. My last hairdo was a sew-in weave a few months ago. After I took it out, my hair was longer but there was a lot of breakage also.

How do I go about ensuring strong hair growth without spending a lot of money? I want to go completely natural - no extensions, chemical treatments, etc. But I do not know where to start and I don't want to do more harm than good to my hair.

As to the biotin supplements, I've noticed more nail growth than hair growth but I am seeing a bit of improvement in my hair but it is too soon to tell. I could be delusional and making myself believe I see something. I appreciate any help. If I sound redundant, I apologize. Thanks again !

Do nothing. In fact, there isn't much one can do to accelerate their natural growth rate. Vitamins can help ensure that you get the adequate vitamins and building blocks of healthy hair, however, if you are already getting these numbers, your hair growth wont change much.

First, start out on a basic multivitamin and stick with that for a few months. If nothing changes, add to your vitamin regime. MSM, an organic sulfur compound, is a good supplement, as some research suggest that people of black/African descent tend to have the lowest numbers of sulfur.

Also, in regard to B-Vitamins, they are meant to be taken together. Note that Biotin is also a B-Vitamin, and should be taken with other B-Vitamins to be effective and absorbed properly by the body. Taking it individually can and have caused breakouts for many users. I've experienced this when taking 5,000 mcg of Biotin daily. I switched to a Time-Released B-Complex + C and my skin and hair are under control. It's best to use a complex rather than taking supplements individually. It's actually cost-effective to get complex vitamins than individual ones anyhow.

And as far as hair growth on a budget, I completely understand, being a college student and not having much money on hand. It's essential to come up with a simple and cost-effective regime that can ensure that your hair remains healthy during your transition. This will require low manipulation, less styling, and fewer products: a minimalistic regime, if you will.

Do your hair weekly: Co-washing and other methods may sound good, but you'll go broke trying to do hair and use products every single day. Weekly washing helps conserve 7x more product (and water) than a daily regime. Your products will stretch further.

Say you buy a 16 oz jar of hair product, and you use 1 oz after you wash. On a daily regime, that jar will last 16 days. But on a weekly regime, that jar will last 16 weeks (4 months). Do the math. It may come out cheaper to have a weekly regime than a daily regime, and it's just as effective.

Go for the bare minimum: Go for the bare minimum. All one needs is these products in their regime:
1. Simple shampoo
2. Simple conditioner
3. Deep conditioner
4. Moisturizer or Leave-in conditioner (a creamy one for hold)
5. Styler (gel, mousse, styling creme)
6. Oil (real oil, not grease)

The only investment you'll need to make is the Deep Conditioner. Everything else can be inexpensive as they do their part.

I would also suggest to style your hair in protective and natural styles through your transition until you are ready do the big chop. This can be a braid out, twist out, buns, ponytails or even using wigs and braid extensions. Try to find a style that lasts a week or longer, as the less you do to your hair, the better condition it will be in.

HTH.:D

Vermelha
12-24-2009, 09:51 AM
i just started taking a multivitamin with 150% of required biotin needs per day, how long does it take to work?

Well, are you taking it with a multivitamin or B-Complex? If not, it's not being absorbed properly.

Also, if you're taking 150% of the RDA for Biotin, know that most of it is flushed out of your kidneys. We get Biotin from foods like veggies and eggs. That, in combination with 150% RDA Biotin, won't necessarily make hair grow faster. Instead, it's vitamin overkill.

And with any supplementation, it takes anywhere from a month to six weeks to see results. Anyone who says they see results in a week is lying. The body doesn't respond to vitamins immediately. It takes a while.

hair4me09
12-24-2009, 05:20 PM
They are in my multi-vitamins...but I was also thinking of buying biotin and pantothenic acid in liquid form to add to my mixes for experimentation...

goodluckcharms
12-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Thank you so much Vermelha. It really did help :)

eyekandy22
02-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I used to take about 1000mcg, at that time I was taking so many pills I had to write a list, about 22 pills a day- all for hair growth- so wrong! Down to 8 a day :)

Starliante
02-07-2010, 12:32 AM
i take biotin and msm

Curlgenie
02-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I take a multivitamin that contains biotin I have heard that it is good for hair and nails,bt I don't take it on it's own although I may try, hmmm not feelin the breakouts I will hav a ponder in gnc tommorow I want to try msm also.

CreoleHonee91
02-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I use Nature's Bounty high potency Biotin. Ive been using it for almost a year now and definitely seen a difference.

sweets
02-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I use it every other day because I started getting awful outbreaks. My chin is sooooooooooo messed up. I have scarring. But the results for nails and hair are awesome.

hanna_light
02-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I just started taking it today along with my Multivitamins and Omega -6 fish oils.

hanna_light
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Has anyone noticed any other side effects i.e. hair growing in faster in other places such as legs, arms, underarms, peach fuzz on the face, or dare I say it vajayjay. My co-worker has been using it for six months with excellent results. However, her So recently asked if she was using miracle grow on the hair on her body. As a result she's having to shave a lot more. Has this happened to any one else? I don't want to have long flowing hair all over, not everyone could pull off that cave woman look.

Vermelha
03-02-2010, 06:00 AM
Has anyone noticed any other side effects i.e. hair growing in faster in other places such as legs, arms, underarms, peach fuzz on the face, or dare I say it vajayjay. My co-worker has been using it for six months with excellent results. However, her So recently asked if she was using miracle grow on the hair on her body. As a result she's have to shave a lot more. Has this happened to any one else? I don't want to have long flowing hair all over, not everyone could pull off that cave woman look.

No, it doesn't work like that. Body hair can't get any longer because of genetics.

hanna_light
03-02-2010, 08:35 AM
No, it doesn't work like that. Body hair can't get any longer because of genetics.

My main concern then becomes about hair growth in unwanted places such as my chin and upper lip.

Vermelha
03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
My main concern then becomes about hair growth in unwanted places such as my chin and upper lip.

^ ;) Chin and upper lip hair is body hair...It won't happen. The only hair it will affect is hair on the head.

The thing is that biotin does not make hair grow longer. What it does is ensure that your hair is growing at a normal rate.

Biotin, which is naturally found in food, makes sure that you get everything you need to keep hair growing normally.

Body hair, assuming you're healthy, is already growing at a normal rate, so it won't change. Body hair and hair on the scalp are different.

Candypower589
03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I have been using the Biotin from Walmart. It started giving me headaches. I think it was because I started with a high dosage, or it would be that I through my bodies balance off. Either way I will go to a lower dosage and then climb like I should have in the beginning.

PS: never go pill shopping when you are desperate for growing your hair.

Sharii16
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
I have been using the Biotin from Walmart. It started giving me headaches. I think it was because I started with a high dosage, or it would be that I through my bodies balance off. Either way I will go to a lower dosage and then climb like I should have in the beginning.

Yeah I Agree With You . I Haven't Had Any Sympton Reactions , But Next Time Try Shopping At Whole Foods Supermarket . They Have Pills That Are Not Only Healthy But Pills With A Dosage That Is Appropriate For You . HTH .

hanna_light
03-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks you're like wikipedia for hair.

angel_hair
03-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Candypower589

Yes it gave me horrible headaches and weird dreams! Don't take it. Just eat right.

ms mona
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi everyone, i wanted to know how much mcg of biotin are you taking because i had been taking b-12, fish oil and b-complex and yes lord my hair grew out of this world like never before but i notice my weight increased alot, so i stop taking the b-12 and b-complex and now i just do the fish oil. Can someone give me some advise on what to do because i want my hair to continue to grow but i dont want to be over weight either.......

LadyDee23
03-02-2010, 07:42 PM

I started taking GNC Hair, Skin and Nail vitamins, about a week and a half ago, and they have 3000 mcg of biotin in them! For the first three to four day's of taking them I had terrible headaches, I didn't know what was going on because this is my first time ever taking hair vitamins.

jade82
03-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I have tried biotin but it accelerated your growth on my chin and sideburns. it gave me about 10 hair but it have to plucked them weekly and biweekly. take in mind, that i only took biotin for two months about 4 years ago and im still mad about these few hairs.

Starliante
03-03-2010, 01:52 AM
i take a low dosage of biotin
never had breakouts or any of that stuff
not so much for growth..growth promotion
and thickening

NaniDiamond
05-21-2010, 08:17 PM
yep, I used the supplements in my hair vitamins back in 2007 and it hadn't been that thick since High School...now I'm using it again and will continue as regular part of my program

kveban
05-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Biotin really works! I had to stop taking it because my hair was starting to need a relaxer every 4 weeks instead of 6! I used to take the 5mg Biotin from the Vitamin Shoppe and I still cannot believe how fast it made my hair grow. But I cannot relax my hair that often so I stopped using it - I recently gave the rest of a bottle I have left to a friend of mine who is struggiling with growing her hair back from severe chemical damage - I know she is going to happy with the results!

leentora
05-22-2010, 08:49 PM
I am gonna go research this and get me some if it is that good, as long as the hair only grows on my head and no where else :o

jennisfresh
06-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I took it for about two months, and didn't really notice a change in my hair growth, but my skin seemed to improve. Acne was never a huge problem for me, but even my occasional breakouts stopped when I took this. My nails have been growing in faster, even though I've since stopped using it. I just noticed that my latest relaxer did not last the full six weeks, and now I have a ton of new growth. I'm thinking of MAYBE going back to it.

ursayollia
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
You should talk with your doctor and/or pharmacist for possible drug interaction. I take a multivitamin with a moderate amount of Biotin and my hair is pretty strong, not to mention cleared up my skin!

jennisfresh
06-01-2010, 11:02 AM
^ ;) Chin and upper lip hair is body hair...It won't happen. The only hair it will affect is hair on the head.

The thing is that biotin does not make hair grow longer. What it does is ensure that your hair is growing at a normal rate.

Biotin, which is naturally found in food, makes sure that you get everything you need to keep hair growing normally.

Body hair, assuming you're healthy, is already growing at a normal rate, so it won't change. Body hair and hair on the scalp are different.

I saw a slight increase in my body hair's growth, which is why I quit using it. A lot of people have. It can affect it.

bannes
06-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I used to use biotin but it didnt do that much for me. I started using Nioxin Intensive care vitamin for my hair and I can really tell it works. if you want your hair to grow and use biotin or Nioxin, you will have to expect there to be growth in other areas of your body that hair usually grows on. It sucks, but just a fact. Any hair vitamin that promises differently is probably lying :( I also like Nioxin b/c i dont have to take garlic pills to combat my face breaking out.

jennisfresh
06-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm back on it...taking 1000mg a day instead of 5000. The ladies at another forum said 5000 a day was fine...they were mistaken. I didn't break out, but I did have an increase in body hair. :/ I'm hoping things will be different now that I'm not taking an insane amount everyday.